Dissapointed with Hanako's Arc

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
pandaphil

Re: Dissapointed with Hanako's Arc

Post by pandaphil »

Indeed. Its been over 30 years since I left high school and I'd still gladly see the people who tormented me back then die in a fire. There are some things you'll just never forgive, and that ends up coloring you attitude toward people for the rest of your life. Yes there are a few good people in the world whom you can love and cherish. But the vast majority of humans are stupid, selfish wastes of skin.

I suspect that's probably how she feels too. It would be even worse since shes naturally a good person. There's nobody more angry and bitter than an idealistic person who's had their illusions shattered by life. So really, unless something good were to happen in her life, she just end up growing up to be unhappy, lonely, and very bitter with tons of suppressed anger.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

Well then, I guess I can "pop my collar" and grin and raise my eyebrows then, cause I find it easy to forgive anyone, even people who have hurt me badly. Especially girls. They hated me, they did very mean things but I forgive them, I still love and care for them and I hope they find happiness in their lives. Sorry phil, but your answer is the wrong answer, and that anger in your heart will one day destroy you if it hasn't already.

Hanako isn't a real person, so we don't have to sit here and wonder where she may end up one day other than geeking out over her storyline itself.
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

Seems like I missed a good discussion.

She would definately be cynical. When 99.99% of people you've met in your life treat you like that, you will develop a very negative view on humanity. While she may not fantasize about them getting their dues, she would be nowhere near forgiving those who did that to her.

This is also what led her to believe the things they said about her, which she shows in her Bad Ending. If the entire world says something you don't agree with, which is more likely to be wrong: just you or all of them?
I am the male version of Hanako Ikezawa.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Not saying she'd be a bad person. Its just that after being abused so badly as a child, she'd tend to assume the worst about the people she meets unless they prove that they're good. She's already said that she really doesn't like people.
She hasn't given up completely on finding love and friendship. Part of her still desperately wants these things. But she's been hurt so much that she's built a protective shell around herself that keeps hurtful as well as loving feelings from reaching her. At the same time, it takes a real effort for her to break through from the inside as well.
Last edited by pandaphil on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

pandaphil wrote:Not saying she'd be a bad person. Its just that after being hurt so much, she'd tend to assume the worst about the people she meets unless they prove that they're good. She's already said that she really doesn't like people.
She hasn't given up completely on finding love and friendship. Part of her still desperately wants these things. But she's been hurt so much that she's built a protective shell around herself that keeps hurtful as well as loving feelings from reaching her. At the same time, it takes a real effort for her to break through from the inside as well.
Exactly. Hanako doesn't hate humanity, but just wary of it. Same way as if you got hurt with a knife, you'd be wary of knives. But like how you would eventually try to gain enough courage to use a knife again, Hanako is trying to connect with people again. If she hated people, she wouldn't have reached out to Lilly or go to things like therapy to "fix herself". She wants to be a part of it, but has to dismantle the walls she has built around herself first.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Hanako has to recognise that good things can happen to her, and she can appreciate that. When bad stuff comes, just prepare the venom/steel needed to speak the language the fellow recognises, if the fellow sneers at good intentions.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

I was thinking a bit about Hanako's story at work today, and this is what I came up with...

The way Hisao describes Iwanako as "rather fragile" and with "a shy, joyous smile" sure does make her sound somewhat like Hanako. Perhaps Iwanako is a bit more forward and confident, but still, the two girls seem to have some similarities. Aside from the fact that Hisao mentions that he didn't really know if Iwanako being fragile was something he liked or not, it makes his relationship with Hanako seem more natural. She's probably the most like Iwanako out of all the girls.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:I was thinking a bit about Hanako's story at work today, and this is what I came up with...

The way Hisao describes Iwanako as "rather fragile" and with "a shy, joyous smile" sure does make her sound somewhat like Hanako. Perhaps Iwanako is a bit more forward and confident, but still, the two girls seem to have some similarities. Aside from the fact that Hisao mentions that he didn't really know if Iwanako being fragile was something he liked or not, it makes his relationship with Hanako seem more natural. She's probably the most like Iwanako out of all the girls.
Iwanako is just a normally shy, feminine girl without all the emotional baggage that Hanako suffers from.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

So, this conversation has been having it's ups and downs but I think generally I got my point across.

I wouldn't go so far as to call anyone a waste, they just had a purpose to fulfill, a reason for being here and they just are failing their mission. Walking around with bitterness in your heart solves nothing though. Remember, words have power, all too often they can come back and bite you in the ass. Mercy brings happiness, not judgement. The same measures you apply to everyone else will be applied to you. Remember that.

I'm sure a person like Hanako could one day come to forgive her tormentors.

Then again comes the liberty of her being a fictional character so, being the optimistic person I am, I take as many liberties as I need, to foresee the most positive outcome possible for her. She only ever deserves the best.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Forgive, but never forget.

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

YZQ wrote:Forgive, but never forget.

This.

All I can do is use my own life to compare, and try to understand what she goes through. I certainly don't go through life filled with rage about what happened. Most of the time I don't think those people who tormented me in school are even worth wasting time thinking about. But the thing about being picked on and bullied during your formative years is that it leaves the impression that there really is something wrong with you, and/or that people are just naturally cruel and judgmental. So without help, you end up going through the rest of your life feeling this same way, expecting to be hurt. One can hope that with Hisao and Lilly's love and support, she can change her outlook.
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

pandaphil wrote:But the thing about being picked on and bullied during your formative years is that it leaves the impression that there really is something wrong with you, and/or that people are just naturally cruel and judgmental. So without help, you end up going through the rest of your life feeling this same way, expecting to be hurt. One can hope that with Hisao and Lilly's love and support, she can change her outlook.
What's more likely: that the entire world is wrong or just you?
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Sometimes, it just turns out that the world is wrong.

Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

Usually, what the majority of people are doing isn't the right thing. Generally speaking. When I was a kid, I told myself, look around at what everyone else is doing and do the opposite.

Seems like I turned out just fine.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

In an ideal situation, the majority should be doing the right thing. When it's the other way round, something is wrong somewhere.