Dissapointed with Hanako's Arc

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
Oddball

Re: Dissapointed with Hanako's Arc

Post by Oddball »

pandaphil wrote:Hanako's behavior in her bad ending is of a classic passive personality who's held in her feelings for way too long. If she had confronted Lilly and Hisao in the beginning, her reaction wouldn't have been so explosive. By being passive, she's let her emotions get out of control. all those frustrations built up over time and when Hisao says the wrong thing at the wrong time, her built up anger finally boils over into an uncontrolled rage.

Things could go in a lot of directions at this point.

a) Hanako feels miserable and decides that there must be something wrong with her for people to treat her this way and decides to isolate herself even further from her classmates.
Hanako has decided that there was something wrong with her and that it would be easier if she just didn't exist BEFORE she even met Lilly and Hisao, and really there isn't much she can do to isolate herself any further. Misha tells you that Hanako never talks to anybody but Hisao and Lilly.

Much of her problem comes from the fact that Hisao and Lilly actually do treat her better than anybody else she's met and she has no clue exactly what to think about that. There are moments when she seems to be testing Hisao just to see if he'll live up to her expectations.
Not Dead Yet
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Guest Poster wrote:
I'm not really sure about that. Many activities I associate with romanticism tend to clash with Hanako as I know her. I'm talking stuff like having a slow romantic dinner, long comfortable silences, loving stares...that kind of thing. Silences are hardly ever completely comfortable with Hanako and she's uncomfortable with stares.

Well, maybe "sentimental" or "old fashioned" might be better words. Since she seems to enjoy quiet time, having tea with her friends, and dressing in loce trimmed clothes, I imagine she loves things like dolls, frilly feminine dresses, and fairy tales. And she cries easily at sad songs, or books, and would probably enjoy holding hands, taking walks in the woods, picnics, or cuddling once shes comfortable around someone.

Oddball wrote:
a) Hanako feels miserable and decides that there must be something wrong with her for people to treat her this way and decides to isolate herself even further from her classmates.
Hanako has decided that there was something wrong with her and that it would be easier if she just didn't exist BEFORE she even met Lilly and Hisao, and really there isn't much she can do to isolate herself any further. Misha tells you that Hanako never talks to anybody but Hisao and Lilly.

Much of her problem comes from the fact that Hisao and Lilly actually do treat her better than anybody else she's met and she has no clue exactly what to think about that. There are moments when she seems to be testing Hisao just to see if he'll live up to her expectations.[/quote]

Well by isolating I meant she'd likely spend even more time in her room, skip class even more than she does and risk failing, or find somewhere even more deserted than the library to hang out.

And you know, from my reading, it turns out that testing is another behavior people with LSE engage in. They'll often drop hints or set up expectations of certain behaviors. Like, "If he really loved me he'd notice I was having trouble with my english and offer to help." Or, "Today is the anniversary of our first kiss. Will he remember?" then get upset and feel insecure if he doesn't act in the expected way.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Dream wrote:Somewhat on-topic, something that has always bothered me about both Hanako's route and Hanako fans is the tendency of both of focusing on how damaged Hanako is and how that defines her as a character, rather than any legitimate traits or virtue of her own. Where as Shizune or Lilly get remembered by traits like "leader" or "refined" respectively, Hanako always gets remembered by things like "very damaged", which isn't really a trait. I'm not very sure why, but that has always bothered me.
Probably because neither Lilly nor Shizune have as glaringly obvious disabilities to a primarily visually-oriented species like human beings. Also, both had to use extroverted cognitive capabilities to make do with their disabilities (Lilly developing a keen sense of hearing/touch and Shizune both the sheer energy to do all that hand-waving and foresight to think on what she signs. Hanako's cognitive capabilities did develop, but they weren't tied to her disability and she wasn't forced into using them per se. So they went moreso the introverted route, though introverts are born that way somewhat too. Everyone notices extroverted mental abilities, no one bothers to notice introverted ones. Especially not if there is a much moreso prevalent feature that is easily visible to primarily visually-oriented species like ourselves (like say...extensive scarring that covers half your body).

One of my favourite scenes within her route is her birthday presents and the difference between Lilly's and Hisao's. Also how Hisao thinks that his gift won't measure up, because it didn't cost as much as Lilly's...whereas for me its value was the exact reverse. The doll was a nice gift, but it was aimed only at the extroverted facets of Hanako - the ones everyone notices. The ones that make her look like a child that needs protection and comfort. But only Hisao, Lilly and Shizune (in her route) ever learn of Hanako's fondness for chess. Which is why that gift probably meant more to her in the long run.

It's easy to dispense gifts that speak to the past or the present, like a doll. But it's not easy to give a gift that genuinely intrigues that person's future possibilities.
AledanTheGreat

Post by AledanTheGreat »

The only part of Hanako's arc that was disappointing was the end. I think the story should've continued on for longer, or she opened up earlier. Also, a lot of people have been complaining about how the sex scene doesn't fit Hanako's character, as it was definitely the most graphic of all the H-scenes. In my view it CONTRASTED Hanako very well with the how open it was (no pun intended, happy coincidence :twisted:) but drew a line or built a wall should I say between the shy Hanako before who hid from everything, and the new Hanako afterwards who opens up to Hisao and becomes a real person. Personally, I loved Hanako's route, although it could have been a little longer, I do agree.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

AledanTheGreat wrote:The only part of Hanako's arc that was disappointing was the end. I think the story should've continued on for longer, or she opened up earlier. Also, a lot of people have been complaining about how the sex scene doesn't fit Hanako's character, as it was definitely the most graphic of all the H-scenes. In my view it CONTRASTED Hanako very well with the how open it was (no pun intended, happy coincidence :twisted:) but drew a line or built a wall should I say between the shy Hanako before who hid from everything, and the new Hanako afterwards who opens up to Hisao and becomes a real person. Personally, I loved Hanako's route, although it could have been a little longer, I do agree.

I know what you mean. Unfortunately with someone like Hanako it would have seemed unrealistic if she'd opened up sooner. Personally I thought her story was just as much about Hisao's growth as it was hers. Besides, to me it was worth it all just to gain her love.

And as upsetting as her H-scene was, I can understand where she was coming from, even if I didn't agree. At least in the end, it turned out okay.

but all I can say is thank goodness for Guest Poster and his Sisterhood story.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.