Emi sprites thread.

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
Bara

Re: Emi sprites thread.

Post by Bara »

Caesius wrote:
Bara wrote:Maybe it is a clip on bow blah blah
the post before wrote:There's no sense in trying to come up with an in-universe excuse for it
Don't do that :x
No, I refuse to obsessively over analyze every line by the artist and each and every stylistic choice made. I'm not a member of the Dev team and I don't pretend I have the desire or ability to do their work. After a while the artists have to just draw, or all you have at the end is paralysis caused by searching for perfection.
Besides, if there is any "search for perfection" it only applies within the Dev group. The opinions of the unwashed masses gathered together, tabulated, collated, and summarized equate to shit. This process is what brings you things like "American Idol".
When there is new art to examine it probably would be productive to give the work a new critique if anyone has any solid observations to add, but until then I think this is mining a played out vein.
Now, if you wanted to discuss why there realistically should be individual variations in each characters school uniform and what you thought would make an appropriate modification in line with their character I think that would be fun for a bit. But, it'd also be another thread...

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

I was just poking fun at the way you completely ignored and defied my post.

In all seriousness, your explanation does make the most sense, even if I still think that trying to come up with an explanation for it is equivalent to excusing it. We both agree that we shouldn't be obsessing over this stupid little thing; the difference is that you tried to excuse it whereas I'm content to acknowledge it while simply not letting it bother me. I think it's silly that a person would be bothered by such a thing, especially if they're no longer bothered if they're given a post facto excuse.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Well, I'm a computer programmer, so naturally I first try to argue that a bug is actually a feature.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Another instance of the Internet not being a medium which easily communicates understated humor. You see it as creating excuses, where I intended it to be wryly poking fun at fans, like me, who tend to invest a bit too many "brain cycles" on Act 1.

Proof that I need a life? My post count.... :oops:

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

This was mentioned in the "Act 1 Preview feedback thread," but probably fits better here, so I'll re-mention it.

Emi appears to be taller than her character description, particularly her two-shots with Rin on the roof. Her description says she's 10 cm shorter than Rin, but she looks to be nearly as tall as Rin. Of course, she could vary her height with different sets of prosthetics (and it would make sense, given that she's a bit on the short side), but I don't think this is stated in-game. Her description could also just be retconned to make her a bit taller, but I think it would be more fun to change it to "Height: 151-157 cm"
Bara

Post by Bara »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:... Her description could also just be retconned to make her a bit taller, but I think it would be more fun to change it to "Height: 151-157 cm"
Naw, giving Emi Inspector Gadget Legs will make Hitler cry. We don't want that; now do we? :roll:

G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

The measurements one the website aren't the most solid canon; they were apparently randomized, but in a way where they work without many discrepancies. At best, they are semi official.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Bara wrote:
Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:... Her description could also just be retconned to make her a bit taller, but I think it would be more fun to change it to "Height: 151-157 cm"
Naw, giving Emi Inspector Gadget Legs will make Hitler cry. We don't want that; now do we? :roll:
No, just different sets of legs like Aimee Mullins, who is 5'8" to 6'1"
Bara

Post by Bara »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:
Bara wrote:
No, just different sets of legs like Aimee Mullins, who is 5'8" to 6'1"
I think Aimee Mullins is the exception to the rule. Most people can't afford the kind of collection of prosthetics she has acquired for her work. Also remember that Emi is living in a dorm room.... which traditionally are not exactly overly spacious places.

Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Bara wrote: think Aimee Mullins is the exception to the rule. Most people can't afford the kind of collection of prosthetics she has acquired for her work. Also remember that Emi is living in a dorm room.... which traditionally are not exactly overly spacious places.
She has at least a running set and a standard set of legs.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:
Bara wrote: think Aimee Mullins is the exception to the rule. Most people can't afford the kind of collection of prosthetics she has acquired for her work. Also remember that Emi is living in a dorm room.... which traditionally are not exactly overly spacious places.
She has at least a running set and a standard set of legs.
Yep but that is still one set of prosthetic legs to store away (or more likely dump in a corner of the room) when not in use. Where the heck would she store an additional set, or two, or three, or five of prosthetics. Hang them from ceiling?
Not that I'm claiming it is impossible, but my opinion is that any more than the two sets already in the story would just be an extra frill and not add much to the story to move it along. They would have to illustrate or reveal something about Emi's character that couldn't be revealed otherwise to justify them in the story.
Now that I said this I can imagine THM throwing old drafts on the fire and madly writing a revised storyline to make me sooo wrong. :roll:

Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

No, I'm just saying her running legs and standard legs could give her two different heights. Her running legs would probably be whatever length is best for her stride & pace, but she might want longer standard legs to be a bit taller.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:No, I'm just saying her running legs and standard legs could give her two different heights. Her running legs would probably be whatever length is best for her stride & pace, but she might want longer standard legs to be a bit taller.
Since they are designed for different functions that could very easily be the case. To simplify for illustrative purposes, track shoes and high heeled dress shoes look radically different from each other because they are designed for different purposes, in different environments.

Grisly Bear

Emi's art

Post by Grisly Bear »

emi's art seems to be rougher then the other heroines art, it isn't noticeable all the time but is particularly noticeable in the foot and mouth scene. is she going to be touched up a bit in a later release?
G3n0c1de

Re: Emi's art

Post by G3n0c1de »

Grisly Bear wrote:emi's art seems to be rougher then the other heroines art, it isn't noticeable all the time but is particularly noticeable in the foot and mouth scene. is she going to be touched up a bit in a later release?
Those aren't her finished sprites. The full release will have the clean ones.

She'll turn out looking more like this:
Attachments
Emi.png
Emi.png (109.75 KiB) Viewed 5728 times
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.