Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by Guest »

Hello Friends,

I have not even finished 40% of the demo, and I am getting a feeling that this game will be a "VN to end all VNs for another decade", and then paradoxically lead to an international explosion of VNs. Not much to write about specific details, for I hadn't been wearing my geek glasses a lot (which allows me nitpick every detail). KS just stirs my feelings and friendship longings in a very intimate way...

Engaging and emotional writing just gets me right there inside the story, and KS is just that kind of story. I'd reserve micro-criticisms for another post, but I would say what Katawa Shoujo gives me is a damned excellent first impression. I feel, somehow, that this project might be an integral catalyst to the independent games revolution.

With excellent titles like Cave Story, LaMulana, the Tohou Project Games and the extremely ambitious Pier Solar in the indie games Valhalla of Excellence, I believe that the next spot in that hall would be rewarded to a certain tale of a boy's struggle with a broken heart (in any given sense).

After playing the cheesy (yet solid) True Love and VR Date Simulator May Club, the flawed (yet compelling) Nocturnal Illusion and Divi-Dead, and the borderline retarded (yet epic) Tsukihime, I can't help but restate how visual novels have indeed had a long and hard journey, and KS, when completed, would mark itself as the next milestone, if not the conclusion, of this journey.

You people are Gods. I have faith in you; it's people like 4LS that keep a wannabe game developer like me hopeful about his own dreams and projects.

KS is a dream that must be fulfilled; I would be willing to wait years for the ultimate form of this project, if it is what it takes to make it Ultimate. Yet I am wanting this epic to be finished sooner as I fear the damage time can inflict on projects, as seen with Daikatana, or even worse, Duke Nukem Forever.

And when the final byte of the archive holding the final version makes it out onto the servers, you will all have proven one thing... the possibility of what a seemingly trivial bean of an idea can grow into.

Meanwhile, some mini critique from my first impressions:

Special Note to Artists:

Hmm.... a dilemma in which art style to use? In "Normal mode", the photographic backgrounds are in use, but for closeups, highly stylized backgrounds are in use. I would love to see the consistency up in the final release. Understandably, this is a difficult decision... but I have faith in you!

Special Note to Blue123 or NicolAmarfi:

The opening to the second part of "Shadow of the Truth" scared the shit out of me. That first crash is loud enough (relative to the fadeout from the previous bar) to qualify as screamer! Also, some parts could cut back on volume and use a little more reverb, making it sound more of a real orchestra and less of a lone MIDI sequencer's work. Nevertheless, I still worship you as a God of Game Music!
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Wow. I just realized I completely forgot to mention this script issue months ago.

During the Lilly ending, "Lilly finally gives up her resistance as he waves a spatula at her." Considering both she and the student are blind, this seems rather out of place.
Unami Araragi

Post by Unami Araragi »

EternalLurker wrote:Wow. I just realized I completely forgot to mention this script issue months ago.

During the Lilly ending, "Lilly finally gives up her resistance as he waves a spatula at her." Considering both she and the student are blind, this seems rather out of place.
How is it out of place? Makes sense to me. They can still see color and movements you know...
OneWhoIsAmazed

Wow, this is brilliant.

Post by OneWhoIsAmazed »

I discovered KS today, and I just wanna say that the developers have done a fantastic job here, I eagerly await the full release.

Everything is perfect, from the writing to the art, to the music and paths.

I also find it great that you guys are doing this as a free project aswell. Even if you were offering it up as paid, I'd gladly buy it.

Kudos.
carbonartistmonked

Post by carbonartistmonked »

SirMax wrote:
carbonartistmonked wrote:one word
very good~
waiting for full release
that is by no possible definition one word.
okay lo... make it two then
ahak! :o
a member of carbon artist associates and P.R.O.J.E.C.T.

Pure.Rubbish.Old.Junk.Enters.Comic.Theories

Out of the Loop

Post by Out of the Loop »

I discovered Katawa Shoujo a couple years ago when I saw the translated source image at 4chan. I saved it and drooled over it, because, I loved the concept of what it was proposing to me. Just recently discovered Act 1 and downloaded it, happy that the image was put into some kind of format. To be honest, I've never played a visual novel before; sure I've seen them around the place but never had the interest in them. But this - this is something special, something that caught my eye. And is it off to a great start! I loved every second of playing it and when I wasn't playing it, I was thinking about it. In fact, I like it so much that I've been listening to the music continuously; to the point where I should be sick of it. I humbly suggest the dev team to keep to how they did Act 1, because that's what drawn all of us to loving KS - and sticking to the same spirit, you should have a blockbuster on your hands. :D

Taking a step back from it and thinking about it dispassionately, I still view it in the positive. I read a few places that made me reread to fathom what it was trying to say but I got it in only one try. Otherwise I see no problems yet (one playthrough so far). I have to agree with the user that said, "Think of all the possibilities and social comments you can do with this game!" It certainly is special so far, IMO.
Geko

Post by Geko »

Why does a Japanese school for disabled children have an American football gate (at least that's what I think the strange thing on the stadium is)? It's not like they can play it.
Also, sometimes the music just ends and I'm left with minutes of silence until the next scene.
Geko

Post by Geko »

Other than that, I like the game very much!
Oh and sorry for double posting.
Exdi

Post by Exdi »

To be honest, when I heard this game was being developed by people from 4chan, I was thinking "oh god this is gonna be unbelievably messed up" Though because my RL friends, who are shameless closet 4chan-tards and showed me the game in the first place, regarded the game with positive opinions, I got peer pressured into playing it, and I was actually pretty impressed.

My only peeve would be that it could've used more of those option-choosing situations, just to make it a little more interactive. I might be willing to play the full release whenever it comes out.
Not really a fan of plays on words. I perfer ones on stages.
Rydux

Post by Rydux »

I loved the Game
The five females were all unique in their own way, an I loved those qualities (though I think Emi is the cutest :3)
The writing was good, very descriptive, and I'm hoping to learn a thing or two in writing in first point of view perspective
Even with out the 'H' content, it would be great game to play

THe only thing I didn't like was the deadend on the Kenji Road (note the emphasis on "dead"), I thought there would be a hilarious moment with him, but I guess everyone of these games need a 'Downer' scene if you don't end up with a girl ...
And I agree with Exdi, I believe there should be more interaction, to add more interest, in my opinion

But nevertheless, it was an awesome game, and I especially look forward to the full release
AnonymousOfNorway

Post by AnonymousOfNorway »

Awesome that this has come so far since we had those initial 4chan threads (oh hai Envy and the others). I'm interested to see if the bonus features we suggested and the plot points make it in there. There must be the "moe" pun for Hanako, sea creature metaphors, violin, yandere, and translator's notes,. ;-) But if Misha's handicap is what I think I remember it is, then I look forward to that :-D I won't be sad if you lose the bestiality idea though ......

Issues/errors previously unmentioned in thread:
-When Hisao comes to the room and describes it, the text says white linen, but the image shows linens of different colours.

- Emi's sprite feels like it might be a bit small compared to the height comparisons I've seen previously, not sure.

Issues already mentioned in this thread:
- The table in the café is not a round marble table. It's a square wooden table. Also as noted earlier, they might be in a booth rather than in chairs.

- Colours for Rin and Emi text header.
- Emi hair color bleed.
- In the Lily vs. Shizune CG, her stockings are gone. Too early to be losing the AT field!
- Some of the scenes with Shizune and Misha became a bit too talkative, especially when they're supposed to be working on the festival preparations. Hisao seems to be trying to get out of it too many times - or at least he should be trying in new ways.
- I would find it natural to bow, but it would be funny if a blind student tries to shake hands with a student without arms.....

General impression
I've been following the art samples, and I think it's coming along nicely - better than quite a few VNs which are sold for money in Japan. Didn't expect an intro video like that though. Nice.

Ended up with Rin at first play and liking her character a lot, I actually find her personality pretty sexy and she also reminds me of the attitude of some disabled people I know. I thought my first choice would be Hanako, but she's my second now. Kudos on Shizune roof scene too.

On Kenji end, I think it would be funny if Hisao became a hikki and died from a heart attack fapping to ero games.

Replies
Shockz wrote:a CG for the Rin sleeping scene.
Oh YES, good idea, if you're thinking of the one by the mural.
evirus wrote:i think the confusion from Shizune and Misha's dialog could actually be kept in the game
Agreed. This was on purpose. Don't change it.
evirus wrote:i think there should be some more animations for certain parts, especially for Misha and Shizune to make it clear that the two are signing back and forth
If you could do this without slowing down skip mode too much, I agree with this.
SirAkbar wrote:I can only speculate how you will transition something intelligent and innocent to something so lascivious.
Fap elegantly. Extend pinky. Have sex with the protagonist's life on the line.
Guest wrote:I was expecting something a little more.... lulz...
I think you might be getting that later in the game and also on replay, when you have finished the game on one route and go back to play another route.
Unami Araragi wrote:How is it out of place? Makes sense to me. They can still see color and movements you know...
What? No, Lily is supposed to be completely blind. But I don't think it needs to be changed; the student might just be so stressed that he forgets who is blind and who is seeing.
Geko wrote:Why does a Japanese school for disabled children have an American football gate (at least that's what I think the strange thing on the stadium is)?
It looks more like a volleyball net to me, but even here in Norway we have several American football teams, so it wouldn't be impossible if it were.
Geko wrote:It's not like they can play it.
BIGOT!!!sin(0)
Geko wrote:Also, sometimes the music just ends and I'm left with minutes of silence until the next scene.
I think that silence is intentional. It's not supposed to be music all the time.

PS: Just to join cultural nitpicking I don't think schools use bloomers for PE uniforms anymore, but use shorts, but no need to change it. Some fan service is allowed, right? 8)

PPS: Iwanako is a Char.
(That image is Akiha from Tsukihime cosplaying as Char, by the way.)
Last edited by AnonymousOfNorway on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loved tenderly: Emi (g), Hanako (g), Lily (g). Friend-zoned: Shizune, Rin. To-do: Kenji, Yuuko, Misha
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

AnonymousOfNorway wrote:But if Misha's handicap is what I think I remember it is, then I look forward to that :-D
I don't know whether to fap, cringe, or both.
AnonymousOfNorway

Post by AnonymousOfNorway »

DuaneMoody wrote:I don't know whether to fap, cringe, or both.
Well, that's sort of the effect we're going for: Cringing, fapping, crying and laughing at the same time, hehe.

By the way, are the devs/writers still reading this thread?
Loved tenderly: Emi (g), Hanako (g), Lily (g). Friend-zoned: Shizune, Rin. To-do: Kenji, Yuuko, Misha
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Obviously.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
-rose

Post by -rose »

This was worthwhile reading :) All the different point of views of characters was simply good. I can really see the point of view of Lily (as I am half in her position of having a... how cam I word this? oh! i know! Vision impairment) Katawa Shoujo is awesome, my cousin actually recommended me to read it, and i started to read it a few days ago, it was really good. I must say, if i can go a little off topic, but if someone who can not see (say like Lily) and who wants to read the story, how is it going to be possible for them to read it? just wondering. Tehe, maybe you could have a voice within the game for those who can not read or those who can not see the print size, because while reading this my eyes started to get sore as i had to strain my eyes to read it (or had to look close to read it, sorry to "complain" just thought to give you guys an idea, to get a voice within the game, I know there might not be a way and people might not like this, but it would be a good suggestion.

Emi - ya sport type girl! ^_^ she's awesome! looking out for everyone, caring about others! She helps everyone as much as she can, I can not see any time she's mad! which is surprising!

Rin - she seems to be mm....a interesting character, but her art is awesome! I am amazed that she can pint with her feet! and a lot of other stuff! she surprised me while reading the story.

Lily - she's well organized, and to me, she seem a little like me in one way - caring, responsible and friendly. She's been blind since birth (but I haven't but I do indeed have a cane ((and a more advanced cane which is called a Ultra cane)) and I use it most of the time to get around.)

Misha & Shizune - I found out during the story, Misha has a few problems I've been going through the forums and i think no-one has stated the obvious, the way I read misha's "talking" I seem to think that she has a little of a problem with speak and also she stutters sometimes. Although so does Hanako I am pretty sure. But Golly! the way this story has been placed, it's magnificent the characters are well placed, and also, with the background (I think i read someone mentioning it was taken by pictures which i thought myself while I was reading the whole story) But can I add that the was Misha translates for Shizune it is a little confusing because you don't know who is talking I DID get a little bit through the story but that's the only point I wanted to say about both girls.

Hanako - Bit more of a mystery character to me, although her story about her being younger (as said in the character profile "Hanako had a traumatic experience that left her life in shambles. Her father died when their home burned down in an accident, which also disfigured Hanako herself permanently.") It's terrible about her father, but I've been thinking what ever happened to her mother? and does she have anymore brother or sisters? She is a mystery character yet its more better to read ^_^ because it starts to get interesting with her as well.

Seeming these are the Minor Characters i thought to write something bout these people :P felt sorry if i didn't add anything in.

Kenji - well.....he kinda freaks me out LOL I got him the 3rd time after re-doing the whole story, but funny ending :P

Nurse - haha well.....he's a awesome character, although you don't really get to know him, he is a well caring person, he looks out for everyone, what is there else to say?

Yuuko - :P what a funny character she's also unique in one way as well ^^

Akio - Ehhh i dunno what to say about him, he's okay i guess, dunno a lot about him

Over all, the demo was awesome, was worth reading, eventually got to 100% :D (although was stuck on 98% before i posted in wondering how to get to 100% as I had trouble getting 1 part Lol) Can't wait until the full version is out! until then I might just re-read. I'd be amazed if all of the people who created this story, don't have any disabilities that are based in this story.

Rate out of 10: 11/10 :P
why: :P because its awesome! I am going to recommend this story to my friends! ^_^
-Rose