Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
G3n0c1de

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by G3n0c1de »

Anon wrote:I don't have much evidence nor a compelling argument to support the claim, but it seems as if the convenience store scene with Lilly, where Hisao 'realizes' that she is forced to hold onto him without her cane, warrants a CG. Of course, there will always be more instances where a CG is desirable than there are instances where it is plausible - limited resources, so to speak.
Read this, and be enlightened.

http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com/2009/1 ... -here.html
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Dolly

Thank You

Post by Dolly »

This sort of game would be called a "dating sim" or something, right? In any case, I've never before actually downloaded something for my amusement other than mainstream video games--and I've certainly never read much more than books and the occasional graphic novel.
When I first downloaded this (I found the download link from 4chan, and it took me another week before I even found this forum), I had no idea what this was even about. I'm not even sure what it is that drove me to install it--but something did--and I'm glad that I have.
For some reason, nothing struck me as particularly heart-wrenching or fantastically interesting (maybe it's only because I'm looking back after replaying it again and again to see all the different endings.)
But, I figure everyone has an ending they can relate to. Being an aspiring art student (still waiting on a response from the art school I applied to), I connected incredibly well with Rin. I unlocked every scene at just under two nights, and I haven't opened the game since, but for some reason, I couldn't stop thinking about it.

I'm not posting here to be a fanboy about any particular scene or any exact aspect of the game--but instead praising the creators even the viewers for being interested in making/seeing this in the first place. Something indescribable about the story just seems to wrap together so "perfectly" that it has an affect on me that makes me just want more and more. Sitting and watching the fireworks with Rin--even if it was in a demo--managed to feel incredibly well-paced. There was nothing in the story arc that I found forced or disagreeable while reaching the inevitable end.
The fact that you guys aren't going to make people pay for the game is incredibly kind, and if there were some sort of donation page for this thing (Maybe there is?...Eh) I'd be more than glad to part with a few dollars for an experience like this. I've read books and played games that were hundreds of times longer than a simple arc, and yet they didn't have quite the effect on me as this did.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm very new to looking at this sort of thing, so I'm by no means calling this an "unheard of phenomenon" because, frankly, I'm ignorant as far as this sort of media goes. But, my ignorance being admitted, I just want to say that playing through this demo has made me "incredibly" happy the past couple of weeks, and I can't wait until the full version comes out! So, thanks, developers--thanks for making something I can love. And thanks to everyone else that shares my enjoyment (if to a lesser, more rational extent x.x) at playing this game. I know making "thank you notes" can seem a little spammy on the forums, and if it's the case, feel free to delete this thread, but I needed to get these words out of my system for a long time--so--thanks!
Anon

Re: Thank You

Post by Anon »

I know I'm heartless for only replying to a particular element of your post, but:

Four Leaf, from what I've gathered, does not accept donations. They usually tell you to give to a charity if you want to help them out, because it needs it more than they do.

Anyway, I agree with the OP. /saveface
Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Yeah, I read that in the rules, but it doesn't hurt to show the appreciation, yeah?
sonnysonny

Post by sonnysonny »

This is pretty much the way I felt too. I found it on Facepunch, dl'd it a week later, played it, played it again, played it again, stopped playing, have had it in my head since. This game has stuck me like no other, and the creators should be proud.
Im in your house, kicking your ass.
BassVII

Post by BassVII »

Most of these comments are circa Act 1 V1. I DL'd it a few weeks after it was put up, but didn't really sign up on here until a few months after. I meant to post feedback here then, but a combination of my lurking habits + IRL stuff kept me from doing so. Probably gonna go through Act 1 V2 in a bit just for funsies.

Act 1 alone makes KS easily one of the best EVNs I've played. The way the paths intertwined and slowly branched off were excellent - the pace was slow enough to make the development of the characters' relationships seem natural, yet fast enough to not drag on. The way it's done makes Hisao seem like he's actually in a normal high school (in Japan), and not some harem where every heroine jumps at the mention of sex.

Each character, despite the small amount of time spent with them, is well defined, whether it be high class Lilly or nonsensical Rin. Fairly certain out of the 5 archetypes each heroine generally follows, there's something for everyone. Being the white knight I am, I love Hanako. She seems wonderfully moe. Everything from the slow dialogue to the sprite of her playing the lock of hair that goes over her scars is just so d'awww worthy. Though if it wasn't for that, I'm fairly certain my favorite girl would become a five way toss-up.

Speaking of that, the artists have done a very nice job. The CGs are all consistent in style, nicely detailed, and manage to capture the character. Lilly just sitting calmly in the tea room, Rin's quirky look on her face while she's eating, or even Emi rubbing her head, looking only slightly guilty at running someone over just works. When it comes to the sprites, I was disappointed because I thought Misha's chubbiness would be the norm. Yay at being proved wrong. Dem curves and all that.

Some general things I thought of on each route:

Emi: She just seems so normal compared to the rest of the cast. I'm thinking it's going to work out so she helps Hisao take advantage of his arrythmia or adapt to it or something. And loli. So much loli.

Lilly: Probably the most natural route when it comes to developing a relationship. All I can think of that was annoying was that cursed "I'm fine" option. Hisao freaking out was just unexpected. Her ending was stellar, especially with how it linked back to your first meeting, and with Hanako actually being included.

Hanako: HNNNNGH.

Rin: Hilarious. Radically different from everyone else's. I enjoyed how manages to remain inane and yet still appear intelligent. Dry humor is my favorite sort, making Rin great. Cant' wait to see how she progresses. Tho I'm curious as to how different her entire route is going to be, since you'll be in the art club with a larger cast.

Shizune: WAHAHAHA. Does Misha sign that to her? This route was probably the biggest in terms of actual... story? The only route that really makes it seem like Hisao is a big part of the festival, and definitely the most rewarding. She's the only girl that would stick with you from the start, though that may be because she's just lonely. Tsundere is probably the easiest way to describe her at the moment.

Overall, KS is a great work. Honestly, I have to say that playing this demo made me look at those with disabilities differently. Before, I just sort of stayed away from them due to the entire social stigma they had. Now, I think of 'em as just being normal people that need some help every now and then. I must say, this game seems really professional so far. I was surprised to find out that you're all just a bunch of normal people, and that you somehow produced something that could make so many people go gaga in just half a year. Hope the rest of the work goes on without any major problems.

tl;dr

My face when I played KS, but in a happier and less @_@ way:

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

BassVII wrote:...one of the best EVNs I've played.
Umm... forgive my ignorance, but what's an EVN?
Katawa Shoujo's resident straight male kuutsundere.
(because just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
BassVII wrote:...one of the best EVNs I've played.
Umm... forgive my ignorance, but what's an EVN?
English Visual Novel. I've also heard the term OELVN around these forums. O for Original. L for Language.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

BassVII wrote:When it comes to the sprites, I was disappointed because I thought Misha's chubbiness would be the norm. Yay at being proved wrong.
Holy shit, you're really not kidding?
BassVII

Post by BassVII »

Yeah, the correct term is OELVN. I always forget it tho so I end up using EVN.
Eh, Misha's the most normal if we're being realistic. She looks chubby to me, partially because of that trope. To clarify, I'm not talking about the "I'VE GOT ROLLS!" chubby, just the slightly fat chubby. I'm all about dem curves.

Post by Guest »

Well, first off great job so far guys, I have had the game downloaded and I played a bit but recently I found myself playing and trying to see all the different character stories and whatnot and was surprised by the amount of story that was packed into this one little act, I'm happy to say this was something I'm really glad I picked up again.

Post by Guest »

BassVII wrote:Yeah, the correct term is OELVN. I always forget it tho so I end up using EVN.
Eh, Misha's the most normal if we're being realistic. She looks chubby to me, partially because of that trope. To clarify, I'm not talking about the "I'VE GOT ROLLS!" chubby, just the slightly fat chubby. I'm all about dem curves.
I find Misha's physique to be the most realistic (and attractive) of the girls in this, and regrettably she doesn't even have a route. oh well.
Anon

From Russia With Love

Post by Anon »

Just another russian anon who wants to convey his sincere gratitude to KS developers for being so 'okhuyenno' awesome. Know that people all around the globe love KS and your hard work is greatly (and internationally) appreciated. My bear and I are rooting for you!
Blood-Beryl

Post by Blood-Beryl »

Hello.
I registered today and I think it is not wrong to write my first post in such an important thread (hope my English is not too bad...).

I downloaded Act 1 last Wednesday because a more known sent me the link because of my new interest in visual novels. It was my first visual novel (note: it is not that easy to play visual novels in Germany...) so it has been a completely new experience for me.
And I love(d) it.
It really makes fun to follow the story and to have influence on it. The characters are drawn in a beautiful way and have interesting differently personalities. The dialogues are not too boring or to corny and create together with the nice backgrounds and the great music (currently i am hearing "concord" again and again) a fantastic atmosphere.
Big praise (or thankyou) for Lilly which is definetly my favourite character and IMO simply fantastic.

If I have to criticize something I would say that some of the room descriptions are a bit too extensive. For example the first visit of the nurse-room.
Such descriptions could be a little bit shorter.
But that is really not a grave problem.

All in all I am really looking forward to the game and want to thank you for such great work and dedication.
Please keep up the great work.

Greetings,
Blood-Beryl.
Lilly > Rin > Emi > Hanako > Shizune
Anon

Post by Anon »

Scene: Throwing Balls.
Hisao wonders if girls would look good in kimonos. I'm pretty sure that's gotta be yukatas there, not kimonos. Sure 'kimono' could mean clothing in general, but yukata is the word to use here. Or does he actually wants to see them in long-sleeved 12-layered kimono?