Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
Warwick

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by Warwick »

Every time Shizune speaks, she gets a text box with "..." or something similar in it, and Misha's line immediately afterwards is what she signed.
静音是买外夫
Tarage

Post by Tarage »

Warwick wrote:Every time Shizune speaks, she gets a text box with "..." or something similar in it, and Misha's line immediately afterwards is what she signed.
It might be better to make that more clear. I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. Even so, if what Shizune says takes up more than one text box... the pattern might be broken. Anyway, it's just a thought.
Tarage

Post by Tarage »

Just reached the end with Hanako and... dangit, I want more!

Good job on getting people hooked. I can't wait to see Act 2.
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Tarage wrote:
Warwick wrote:Every time Shizune speaks, she gets a text box with "..." or something similar in it, and Misha's line immediately afterwards is what she signed.
It might be better to make that more clear. I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. Even so, if what Shizune says takes up more than one text box... the pattern might be broken. Anyway, it's just a thought.
I dunno, even with my speed-reading tendencies, I never really had any ambiguity. I guess it's also because Shizune's and Misha's tones are so different. I can almost always sense Shizune's personality simmering behind every one of her relayed lines, which is high props to the writer.
静音是买外夫
Nosson

Post by Nosson »

I was totally lost on who the one really speaking was with Shizune, at first. Then as things progressed I started noticing patterns and things became easier. I thought it was very realistic and well done, becuase I feel it would be the same thing that the main character would have to deal with. My opinion is to keep things the way they are with Shizune, BUT what should happen is as you progress down her path is that you should start to learn some sigh language, not alot, but just enough at a good rate to make interaction with Shizune more and more rewarding each time.

Oh and THERE MUST BE A GAY OPTION FOR KENJI! As someone has said before. Its just a great idea, I mean I am not even bisexual and I would totally want to hook up with him, he is just so awesome. I will be very sad if that is not included in the final version.
Emisune

Post by Emisune »

Well, that was a very impressive "preview". I haven't played a LOT of VNs (my Japanese is terrible), but production-values-wise it easily stands up to other retail games.

Hanako is by far my favorite, but Rin and Emi are also fun and all the characters are good. I disliked how pushy Shizune/Misha are, but that's just personal taste (and the only reason I even had to put up with them is I wanted to get 100%... sadly, I'm missing the scene between Home Field Advantage and No Recovery so I've only got 98%). The interface is beautiful, what I'd expect from a retail product. There are also a lot of choices, so it's not as dull as some story-driven VNs where you only get 10 or so different options in the entire game.

The only major complaint I can think of is: it's not long enough! I'm looking foward to the final version.

Post by Guest »

In the part where you accompany Lily to town and she says she's going to a convienience store, you have a picture of a 7-11 and have changed the name from 7-11 to Aura Mart but it still says Seven Eleven セブンーイレブン(Sebun Irebun) in katakana in the white on red.

If you were wanting to avoid trademarks by changing the name you should probably change that too.
evirus

Post by evirus »

great demo, it seems every day i check up on this blog(after seeing it mentioned on 4chan two days ago) i get more and more excited about the game.

I've glanced through some of the previous comments, and i think the confusion from Shizune and Misha's dialog could actually be kept in the game, but i think there should be some more animations for certain parts, especially for Misha and Shizune to make it clear that the two are signing back and forth (reducing some of the 'unnecessary" confusion :wink: ). from the way their parts are written now Misha has some problems translating for Shizune (not voicing the attitude that Shizune seemed to communicate visually for example), making the origin of what Misha is actually saying unclear could actually add to that dynamic (what did Shizune actually say, and what did Misha add on to it?).
Shockz

Post by Shockz »

Gotten through Rin's route so far. (I was very interested to read somewhere else that hers was supposed to be the hardest to get, since I just picked what seemed like the obvious choice for her each time.) The writing isn't perfect, but it certainly reads better than most of the (admittedly translated) VNs I've read.

The only thing I was really disappointed by was the lack of a CG for the Rin sleeping scene. Seems like it was easily D'AWWWWW enough to deserve its own image. But that's just nitpicking. I eagerly await the rest of the game! (On another note, how long is the final game going to be? Like, about what percentage of the full game is Act 1?)
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Shockz wrote: (On another note, how long is the final game going to be? Like, about what percentage of the full game is Act 1?)
About 15-20%
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
McWaffles

Post by McWaffles »

Aura wrote:
Shockz wrote: (On another note, how long is the final game going to be? Like, about what percentage of the full game is Act 1?)
About 15-20%
Oh gawd.

This is going to be long :P
Axeman

Post by Axeman »

Being a fan made project, I wasn't overly expecting much in terms of quality. Now that I played it, I can definitely say that the quality of the work is on par and sometimes even better when compared to most of the dating-sim games released in japan. I loved the music. They all certainly matched the current atmosphere at any period of the game. The whole story also kind of felt natural. Having worked in a cardiothoraccic ward, I can sympatise with the main character and even then, he's still way more lucky that he hasn't had anything worse than that. The pacing was just right. I thought it was neither too fast nor too slow. The only thing I found a problem with was how some of the sentences were written. I think it's only a minor critique, as I still enjoyed the game, but maybe it could be a bit more... natural? Anyway, I don't how to describe it, so apologies for the vagueness. I think that's all unless there's something I've forgotten so good luck to the whole development team and I wish you great success when it comes to finally releasing it.
The game.
You have lost it.
eaterofsouls101

Post by eaterofsouls101 »

i think this is really awsome,its most likely the best game of its kind i ever played,its alot better then "Princess Waltz" witch was made by the same people of fate/stay night.It really seems like it was made by professionals.Also i dont know if i missread it on the site,but this is gonna be free? or just the demo? Cuz if the full final ver is free,i still want to some how,some way,pay some one for this.Yeah so great job and cant wait till the full version
TKPsycho wrote:You forgot heart.

And Kenji is captain planet.
Zz

Post by Zz »

The only thing I can complain about is that I don't have the full game. The art and writing are very good. Previous dating sims/hentai always had weird story branching that didn't make any sense and just pissed me off (She kills herself if you don't accept the footjob), but this I still felt like I had some control over the main character and could foresee the results of some of the decisions. I haven't really played too many dating games, but I am confident that this is the best one I have ever played.
BcDed

Post by BcDed »

My favourite part is the writing, I noticed like one or two typos(I think there was an unneeded plural that I didn't even notice until rereading it but where I can't remember), I didn't like the fight scene between Shizune and Lilly because it seemed like the artwork degraded slightly, at one point I was staring at one of the pictures I can't rmember of who and it looked a little unnatural because it seemed like her eyes were pointing in slightly different directions. Thats all I can think of but honestly I would expect more "problems" than that in a professional game so good work. I played through and got the Hanako ending(which is what I was hoping for but I played through basing my decisions on what I would actually do) and found myself wanting a lot more especially since that was like the first time Hanako opens up even a little bit to you. I can't wait till the game is finished.
Is it really just a game, or is it a religious experience.