Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

new vn reader... no mention of.... fate/stay night... must... stay... on.... topic!

*head asplodes*
Katawa Shoujo's resident straight male kuutsundere.
(because just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Just because you say it's off topic and attempt to be funny about it does not make it not off topic. Last warning is 6 posts up, and I think that is the number of days I'll ban you for.
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

Nicely done.

I have to wonder, though, seeing as this is the first (And likely only, due to the stigma) VN I'll ever read, were any other VNs drawn upon for some inspiration in KS's creation? It's very well done, but knowing the foundation can be just as enjoyable.

I have to admit, though, that playing through the prologue hit me with a hammer:

(Technically an H-game)
(Side effects of medication/condition include erectile disfunction.)
(ED in an H-game)
(What.)

That's when I knew this VN was worth reading through.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
Saika

Post by Saika »

First of all, let me say that I came to this game looking for hentai. I left with hentai nowhere in my mind. I found a tale that was both romantic and interesting, and the whole time i was playing, hentai completely slipped from my mind. And, being my first VN(I think), it was excellent. My brother, however, does not share our enthusiasm about the game. While attempting to explain Hanako's scars, he replied with "So why are you trying to fuck her?" I don't think I need to explain that he's a dumnass. But, he's never played the demo, so he's not really to blame. Excellent game, though. Keep up the good work.
Run Out Groove

Post by Run Out Groove »

I really enjoyed this so far. Really interested in seeing the full game and how it all comes together. Hisao's thoughts and explanations are a problem though. Although it succeedes in being both descriptive and easy to understand, Hisao's inner thoughts sounds like a piece of poorly written fan-fic. The dialogue iteself is briilliant, but Hisao's inner thoughts needs to sound like the way he speaks so it sounds cohesive.
Also, I do believe that Hanako's sprite needs more polish. When she's facing straight at the player, it looks great, but any other angle seems strange and her facial expressions at those angles seem off.
And that's just about it. I do realize that not much can be done at this point about what I pointed out, and I probably am nit-picking, it's an otherwise great game and I really do hope it takes off.
Aik

Post by Aik »

I've been playing through getting all the endings and just ended up with a Kenji - everything was going fine with Shizune and then after a choice (which I thought was the diplomatic one - telling her where I had been after having a heard attack...) I tell them both to piss off :-/ That outcome really doesn't follow what the option says/implies. Was kind of glad to end up thwacking my head on the pavement after being such a dick.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Aik wrote:I've been playing through getting all the endings and just ended up with a Kenji - everything was going fine with Shizune and then after a choice (which I thought was the diplomatic one - telling her where I had been after having a heard attack...) I tell them both to piss off :-/ That outcome really doesn't follow what the option says/implies. Was kind of glad to end up thwacking my head on the pavement after being such a dick.
Same thing happened my first playthrough. Hisao said the line with 100 times more poisonous sarcasm than I anticipated. Similar choices come up in Lilly's and Rin's paths, only they'll be even harder to spot, so watch out if you haven't already gotten them.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

o_O How does "I don't want to talk about it, okay?" not seem infinitely patient after Misha's fucking retarded nagging, as compared to "Yeah, I sure was having fun fun fun at the nurse's office..." ? Similarly, if you're referring to the choice after shopping with Lilly, the response "I'm fine" withholds information whereas "I'm not in very good condition" offers more of an explanation of why Hisao is tired. If you want to express interest in either Rin or Lilly, needlessly keeping secrets when Lilly expresses concern about you is obviously not the way to do it.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Well, I actually wanted to inform Shizune and Misha about Hisao's condition. Something A22 wanted to save for later. You did mention not keeping secrets. And while hindsight does show that telling Lilly about your condition is better, a lot of people it seems, fell into that trap. It just feels unecessary that Hisao explodes at her. "I'm fine" doesn't accurately tell you what Hisao will actually say.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

G3n0c1de wrote:Well, I actually wanted to inform Shizune and Misha about Hisao's condition. Something A22 wanted to save for later. You did mention not keeping secrets. And while hindsight does show that telling Lilly about your condition is better, a lot of people it seems, fell into that trap. It just feels unecessary that Hisao explodes at her. "I'm fine" doesn't accurately tell you what Hisao will actually say.
Those choices should just read 'Rage at everyone in sight'.

But seriously, they are indeed a bit misguiding.
Scarlet Fox

Post by Scarlet Fox »

I would have picked "I'm fine" if I didn't read a guide. "I'm fine" makes it seems like Hisao doesn't want her to worry for him, thus caring for her more. Though, the right thing to do is of course telling her the condition, but people are silly like that and would withhold information for what they think is the benefit of others.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Oh joyous celebration, I fixed that choice like a week ago to be less confusing.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

Aura wrote:Oh joyous celebration, I fixed that choice like a week ago to be less confusing.
and there was great rejoicing!

*yay* :mrgreen:

seriously though, I got the Kenji ending because of the "I'M FINE" stuff too, so it's good to know the choice will be more like what Hisao really says or means. sweet.

I really need to finish up my detailed writeup and analysis and all that of the endings and post it here. stupid classes taking up too much time.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin >>>>>>> Shizune
amazing how preference changes now that the game's actually out.
Akira/Hanako for the win. Meiko/Nurse for even more win. Miki/Misha for win that goes BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.
UNIT0918

Post by UNIT0918 »

Since I haven't started up Katawa Shoujo Act 1 in a while, I decided to start fresh and play version 2.

Just nitpicking here, but I just noticed that when Hisao first meets Mutou, he shakes his hand. Since this is set in Japan, I'm assuming they should be bowing instead. Of course, I don't think the hand shaking is much of a problem since this visual novel is originally for an English-speaking audience anyway.
Last edited by UNIT0918 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeing that more people are using Valkyria Chronicles avatars, I'll follow suit.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

You might be surprised to know that in Japan, people do shake hands as greeting or thanks, just like in west. I'm not going to go and estimate whether it is rare or common (I bet bowing is way more common), just that it's perfectly normal.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents