Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
Layzuhl

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by Layzuhl »

The only annoyance that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is Emi's sprite. It looks like she has a cuirass stuffed under her uniform.
Hypothermia

Post by Hypothermia »

I've never played a dating sims before. So the cliches are lost on me.
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Speaking of reminders, I promise to eventually contribute to the "Why do you like the girls you like" thread.
静音是买外夫
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Layzuhl wrote:The only annoyance that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is Emi's sprite. It looks like she has a cuirass stuffed under her uniform.
Holy dicks I won't be able to unsee that shit now.
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

A typo I just noticed that I haven't seen brought up before; at the very begining of Pseudo Tea Cosy, when Hisao is on his way to accidentally meet Lilly for the first time while searching for the Library on the second floor, the following description occurs:

"One flight of stairs up and I run into problems. The second floor hallway is a carbon copy of the third floor one."

He has just come from the Student Council room which, if I'm not mistaken, is on the third floor and just a couple of turns from Classroom 3-3. Unless Yamaku's main building is inside some kind of Escher style painting, that should read, "down," instead of, "up."

Holy shit, this thread has gotten long! Took me almost an hour to skim through it all to make sure this report wouldn't be redundant.
Jintor

Post by Jintor »

The game is written absolutely fantastically. I have no qualms whatsoever about the writing.

Art-wise, my own minor problem is with the way the males look - the homeroom teacher's face is kind of oddly pointed, Kitsune-nurse is, well, kitsune-nurse, and Kenji looks a little flat, especially in comparison to the all of the girls.

Otherwise, this was a fantastic first introduction to visual novels, and I hope that when Katawa Shoujo is fully released, it will continue to be awesome!
Monkehman

Post by Monkehman »

I loved the preview and can't wait for the full game. Found myself getting completely immersed in the story. Great job.
Hypothermia

Post by Hypothermia »

If I really had to nitpick, I'd say more sprites couldn't hurt. The same poses over and over again got a teensy bit irritating. This took me some time to come up with. I honestly could give less a shit if there were more or not.
Dop

Post by Dop »

Gone through all the routes and only got 96%. The remaining 4% MUST BE MINE!!!

Just one nit to pick - during one of the coffee shop scenes on Shizune's route Shizune and Misha are described as sitting at a round table - but in the artwork (one of my favourite scenes) the table they're at has at least one 90 degree corner!

And is it me, or did anyone else feel terrible when you come back from the nurse's office after your little episode on the track and tell Misha to 'piss off'? That's not nice Hisao!

Oh Hi Kenji, is it manly picnic time already?
UnKreativ

Post by UnKreativ »

I'm sorry that my opinion won't be helpfull to you, since I didn't spot anything (other than two or three things that have already been noted here...) in the game.

I finally got 100% after two and a half days... I was kind of proud. ^^
It was my first VN and I'm really impressed by it. I just nearly wrote that I was moved by it (wich is also true in some ways.). Well I've written it anyway now.
The story itself is really good, but the setting and the characters are so new and in a way "unspent" (can you say that in english?) and that's what made this Act 1 of the game a great reading experience in my view...

Keep up the good work. I can't wait until the game is finished...
"The end of the world as we know it. Like weekends usually are, but more dire. Much more dire."
- Rin Tezuka
hatori1181

Post by hatori1181 »

Amazing work, guys! I just finished Hanako/Lily's path.

amazing writing, I can't wait to read more.
Great artwork, Each character is really coming to life.
fantastic music. I find myself humming from time to time.

Please keep up the great work! you have a patiently awaiting fan in me.
My original play-through schedule: Hanako, Lilly, Emi, Shizune, Rin.
After playing through the game a second time, the revised list goes like this: Lilly, Hanako, Shizune, Emi, Rin.

Post by Guest »

This game is.... incredible.

Last night I finished with Emi on my first try, and just now I got the Lilly/Hanako arc.

I am really having a hard time expressing in words how much I love this game already.

Keep up the excellent work, everyone!

("")(^.^)("") Katie
K_Amelia

Post by K_Amelia »

Guest wrote:This game is.... incredible.

Last night I finished with Emi on my first try, and just now I got the Lilly/Hanako arc.

I am really having a hard time expressing in words how much I love this game already.

Keep up the excellent work, everyone!

("")(^.^)("") Katie
Darn, I can't believe I forgot to login.

Anyways, I just wanted to mention that the linux version of the game doesn't seem to want to go fullscreen for me. I am using Vmware Workstation running Debian 5, VMware tools is NOT installed. I have not had a chance to try the game under Windows, but I will do so this week-end.

("")(^.^)("") Katie
(")(^.^)(")Katie

Post by Guest »

Act 1 has very well written and tasteful. You all did a wonderful job wit it and should be very proud. I originally heard that this originalted on 4chan so I was expecting something a little more.... lulz...
Thank you again for such a well written and tasteful story
simpleDvorak

Post by simpleDvorak »

I don't think there's any praise I can give that hasn't been given by someone else already, so instead of reiterating at length, I will just submit two comments:

1) Awesome job, can't wait for the full game.

2) Text skip speed was a bit too slow for my taste, and there was no scene skip.

Though, #2 was not a serious detriment to the experience at all, so, once again, well done guys. :D
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.
There is an art, it says, or rather a knack to flying.
The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.