Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
AniVisual

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by AniVisual »

After the 2nd invitation to the tea shop, when being confronted by the two girls, Hisao says

"So the tea shop was a trap after all! You two-timing scoundrels!"

I think the word you're looking for is:

"So the tea shop was a trap after all! You double-faced scoundrels!"

=)

(BTW, great game. Heavily anticipating the full game.)
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

I think either works.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/two-timing
two-time (ttm)
tr.v. two-timed, two-tim·ing, two-times Slang
1. To be unfaithful to (a spouse or lover).
2. To deceive; double-cross.
AnonymousOfNorway

Post by AnonymousOfNorway »

It's origin is "having two at the same time" though, so "two-faced" or something like that might work better.

That said, it's not a given that the protagonist always chooses his words with a lot of deliberation, or is entirely serious in his "anger" in that scene. He's being playful. A semi-malapropism here and there is fine too.
Loved tenderly: Emi (g), Hanako (g), Lily (g). Friend-zoned: Shizune, Rin. To-do: Kenji, Yuuko, Misha
LK'

Post by LK' »

I guess even without any H-scenes, this VN would still turn out great..

I like Rin the most though, she's pretty weird.. I mean interesting :D

One makes mistakes; that is life. But it is never a mistake to have loved.
f8th

Post by f8th »

I don't know why, but I immediately liked Shizune. Misha is annoying to no end though... When the showdown between Lilly and Shizune took place, I couldn't help but take her side, even though I felt sorry for Lilly. I'm eager to see how she'll act when the pressure of the School Festival has passed. :)

This seems like a stupid question :oops: ... but will Hisao actually learn sign language at some point in the Shizune path? It just seems having an interpreter who can't help but sound happy makes having serious or romantic conversations impossible.

Also, I can't help but lol at the thought of Shizune frantically signing 'exclamations' during the sex scene.
Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine »

f8th wrote:This seems like a stupid question :oops: ... but will Hisao actually learn sign language at some point in the Shizune path? It just seems having an interpreter who can't help but sound happy makes having serious or romantic conversations impossible.
The best guess that I've heard in relation to that is that he will learn enough to passably communicate with her, at least enough to confess. It's highly unlikely he'll be anywhere near fluent by the end of the game (which covers...what, three months? That's what the original thing said, I don't believe I've seen a time frame posted anywhere else) After all, sign language is an entire language, and languages take a lot of time and effort to master. So, Misha will almost surely have a large role to play in the relationship, but all the best stuff will be between Hisao and Shizune alone. (kinda like in the demo)
Elroy

Post by Elroy »

I predict it'll be akin to the LaughingMan threads. Hisao may learn simple phrases and such, and may have incorrect grammar at times, but still get the point across. I don't think he'll be pulling off love poems any time soon.
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

Mr. Shine wrote:
f8th wrote:This seems like a stupid question :oops: ... but will Hisao actually learn sign language at some point in the Shizune path? It just seems having an interpreter who can't help but sound happy makes having serious or romantic conversations impossible.
The best guess that I've heard in relation to that is that he will learn enough to passably communicate with her, at least enough to confess. It's highly unlikely he'll be anywhere near fluent by the end of the game (which covers...what, three months? That's what the original thing said, I don't believe I've seen a time frame posted anywhere else) After all, sign language is an entire language, and languages take a lot of time and effort to master. So, Misha will almost surely have a large role to play in the relationship, but all the best stuff will be between Hisao and Shizune alone. (kinda like in the demo)
Because of the nature of sign language, it's a very conceptual language, there are almost no prepositions, barely any grammar rules, and the sentences themselves are fairly simple. It's just a matter of rote memorization, really. Of course, that's ASL, I don't know about Japanese Sign Language, although I don't see any particular reason why that should be any different, especially when English has a lot more grammar rules than Japanese.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
AnonymousOfNorway

The original drawing says you have to pass the sign language class to confess to her. That doesn't mean it has to be advanced, just the beginner stuff. Realistically, they can just pass notes to each other, but maybe Shizune appreciates Hisao actually making an effort and sticking to it.
Loved tenderly: Emi (g), Hanako (g), Lily (g). Friend-zoned: Shizune, Rin. To-do: Kenji, Yuuko, Misha
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

It's probably worth noting that the original page is more or less a loose guide rather than a definitive source of information.
AnonymousOfNorway

Don't ruin my dream!

Ahem.

Pirate's Code it is.

Edit:
Oh dear - now imagining Emi with two wooden legs and Hanako with an eye patch over her right eye YARRR.
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

AnonymousOfNorway wrote:Don't ruin my dream!

Ahem.

Pirate's Code it is.

Edit:
Oh dear - now imagining Emi with two wooden legs and Hanako with an eye patch over her right eye YARRR.
Lilly with 2 eye patches. She would roam the seas, terrorizing tea merchants. The feared and revered Blindbeard would be the stuff of legends.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
Juno

Post by Juno »

... and Kenji would work as the lookout in Melee Island.
Also, thread derailed.
Akiyo

Post by Akiyo »

Just finished it for the very first time on Shizune's route. so very,very cute. Liked the ending very well, to the point i think its better than FS/N.

I enjoyed it very much and it could be claimed as one of my happiest 3 hours of my life, thanks, KS team.
Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine »

So...Hisao's parents don't even say goodbye to him. I noticed this on the first run through, but it seemed particularly egregious later. It's like, "Hey son, sorry about not catching that whole heart thingy that might kill you and packing you off to a school for cripples right after you got discharged from the hospital after four months, but we unpacked your clothes for you so we're cool, right?"

...okay, so it's not quite that bad, but it seemed odd that they'd just leave without saying anything to him, especially since there's no indication that they intend to visit or anything. Maybe I'm just reading too much/little into this. >.>