Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
KnightofNEE

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by KnightofNEE »

In my usual laconic fashion: It's awesome. Can't wait for the next release (full or another demo). I feel it's a real pity that I can't donate (..at least point us in the direction of a charity of your choice). Oh and just because all I've read is stuff to the negative (and not because I'm a perv well, maybe I am, but that's besides the point...so not just because I'm a pervert), I can't say I'm not intrigued by the mention of H-scenes.
monkmunk

Post by monkmunk »

Brilliant game.. so good! At first brush the pacing seemed awfully slow, but i guess 'relaxed' is a better way to put it (i'm new to this type of game). I downloaded the mac version, and for reasons i couldn't divine, it crashed repeatedly near the end of the 'exercise' chapter.

I am seriously amazed you guys put something this polished and compelling together- the wait for the full release is going to be dreadful.

*edit* the only bit of criticism, while the writing was generally excellent, there was a bit of over-reliance on the word 'generic' when describing something ordinary or plain. Only stood out because so much of the writing was clever and evocative!
GrimHouten

Post by GrimHouten »

Well I just finished the demo 100% yesterday.

Honestly this is amazing, really nice work, the design, art, text, music.
The main character personality is quite real, and how he face his problems. I really like that.

The only problem is that sometimes the music stops, maybe I reed really slow?? well most likely xD

Also the kenji(shiki xD) "route" I know is comedy material, but I would like to see more a Misha route than that.
But with everything, the result is just incredible, is amasing that the team could produce such a good game.

And like most of the people here, waiting with a lot of spectation the final result, to spent hours & hours reeding it =p
fanatic

Post by fanatic »

played it though on all routes last night, amazing game and i am eagerly awaiting the full release, you guys have me hooked on this. keep up the good work guys :D
lurk moar

Post by lurk moar »

Just played wrote: However I did have a fairly negative couple of experiences with the heavy all-or-nothing choices that are sometimes not conveyed properly?

In particular "I spend the whole afternoon in the Nurse's office." could be mistaken for sarcasm, but instead the Hisao flips out on them instead, also the "Do I push myself harder or take it easy." is just so ... bad?

You either try to push yourself to the brink of death or only run as much as you did the previous day and give up entirely. What's with that?

The Cold War scene was also very much like that of either sticking with Shizune and throwing Lily under a speeding train or forever tick off Shizune.

I know these are branch points but apparently Hisao has two operating modes of either total asshole/all-out or apathetic/whatever, I think you might want to reconsider how you've handled some of the branch points.
This. I chose the "I had a fun time at the nurse's office" choice and then it was suddenly BAD END.
Tualha

Continuity error

Post by Tualha »

There's a continuity error in "Exercise".

Hisao runs with Emi, too much, has a minor attack. Goes to the nurse's office, stays there till 10:15, then goes to class.

But he's still wearing his running clothes. He never went back to the dorm to change. And Muto doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

For that matter, he's probably pretty ripe, having exercised and not taken a shower.
Fidelas

Re: Continuity error

Post by Fidelas »

Tualha wrote:There's a continuity error in "Exercise".

Hisao runs with Emi, too much, has a minor attack. Goes to the nurse's office, stays there till 10:15, then goes to class.

But he's still wearing his running clothes. He never went back to the dorm to change. And Muto doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

For that matter, he's probably pretty ripe, having exercised and not taken a shower.
Muto works at a school for cripples.

I would think he's used to people waltzing in during the middle of class. I mean, look at Hanako, Shizune, and Misha. They ditch all the time and he doesn't bat a lash.
Emi Footjob -> The Problem Really Is In Your Pants
Tualha

More errors

Post by Tualha »

Assorted typos, grammatical problems, and such:

"Waylay": Misha actually giggles at that, but Shizune doesn't, not even after after translation.

"Things You Can Do": It does, the layers of paint hiding other layers of paint, mixing and shaping the human figures really create an impressive look. But Rin looks miffed. [Some kind of sentence splice apparently.]

"Foot and Mouth": Rin dexterously stabs her straw through the top of her box and begins to drink.

"Exercise": Nurse: I didn't mean quite this when I suggested you to get some exercise. You've got to be more careful, Hisao.

Also re "Exercise", I know Hisao's got a lot on his mind in the nurse's office, but it would be nice if he defended Emi. She had no idea about his condition, none of this was her fault, and she's the one who insisted he come here. The nurse should be praising her good sense, not blaming her. At least Hisao could say so after he's rested and his brain is working again.
Last edited by Silentcook on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Taken care of errors, and thanks.
Tualha

Post by Tualha »

Fidelas wrote:I would think he's used to people waltzing in during the middle of class. I mean, look at Hanako, Shizune, and Misha. They ditch all the time and he doesn't bat a lash.
Yes, but they don't waltz in wearing running clothes. Furthermore, we have seen Muto start to say something to Hisao for being late, the time with Hanako - until he saw Hanako was with Hisao. Clearly, he knows Hanako has issues, and he knows the council twins have council stuff, and he cuts them slack. Not so Hisao.
Fidelas wrote:Muto works at a school for cripples.
Laddie...don't you think you should...rephrase that?
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Actually, there is no error there. The Nurse gives Hisao a note and Muto looks at him sternly after reading it, but postpones discussing the issue until after class and instead motions him to take his seat. It would make sense for Misha to comment on it when she interrogates him about where he's been all morning, however.
Tualha

Post by Tualha »

I think people are missing my point...it's not that Hisao is late, it's that he's not wearing his school uniform to class.
PCJedi

Post by PCJedi »

Tualha wrote:
Fidelas wrote:I would think he's used to people waltzing in during the middle of class. I mean, look at Hanako, Shizune, and Misha. They ditch all the time and he doesn't bat a lash.
Yes, but they don't waltz in wearing running clothes. Furthermore, we have seen Muto start to say something to Hisao for being late, the time with Hanako - until he saw Hanako was with Hisao. Clearly, he knows Hanako has issues, and he knows the council twins have council stuff, and he cuts them slack. Not so Hisao.
Fidelas wrote:Muto works at a school for cripples.
Laddie...don't you think you should...rephrase that?
Personally, I do find it a bit strange how he doesn't bat an eye at Hanako, Misha and Shizune coming and going as they please. I mean, sure, they have reasons, but still, a school's a school, and I don't think they should be that lax with their students, even considering the circumstances here. Maybe I'm too strong a believer in the "Rules are Rules" thing, but with that sort of attitude, what's to stop anyone in the class from coming and leaving whenever they feel like it? It just feels sort of irresponsible to me. Also, the fact that Shizune is so willing to randomly cut class to keep hanging out in town after lunch on that one day in her route just feels a bit out of character for her to me. Considering how strict she is with everyone else, it's surprising that she'd act like that herself.
Love is Blind. God is Love. Lilly is Blind.

Then, is Lilly God?
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Hmm...perhaps I miss the point because the cultural mindset that surrounds the adoption of school uniforms is unknown to me. I just don't see it as particularly important. However Yamaku, while it seems to borrow a lot of it's architecture from the west, is repeatedly described as being very traditional so you probably have a point. I concede my ignorance.

Edit to ask, what in your opinion would be an acceptable response from Muto in that situation? Publicly reprimanding him and sending him back to the dorms to get changed? I suppose the real issue is how strict Yamaku's policies are regarding such behavior and how important it is to Muto that he uphold them.
Fundefined

Post by Fundefined »

Tualha wrote:I think people are missing my point...it's not that Hisao is late, it's that he's not wearing his school uniform to class.
Does it really matter? Hisao doesn't get his own sprite. Nor do you see him half the time.
Rozen

Post by Rozen »

I have to say I was very impressed by this VN. All the characters have very engaging and different personalities and quirks that make them interesting and the pacing and flow of events was generally smooth. I found myself interested in every character, even the minor ones, (tho I'm only 90% done so far, haven't done the Rin path or the "Kenji" path).

Having the setting take place at a school for disabled people certainly adds a unique flavor to the atmosphere, not something you see in many VNs or anime (none that I can think of anyway). This just makes it all the more interesting.

I remember at the begging of the game when he first gets out of the hospital, and his teacher asks him if he wants to introduce himself to the class or not I thought he would die of a heart attack from stage fright, HAHAHA. Luckily I was wrong... or was I hoping I was right? ... I'm such a sadist...

And also Kenji. Wow, every time he shows up I can't stop laughing. Its the hardest I've laughed at a VN in a while. Feminist Conspiracy... nearly NEET like lifestyle...its like you took the stereotype for /a/non and made Kenji.

Great job, looking forward to the finished product. I could even see myself paying for this.