Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
DragoonHP

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by DragoonHP »

V3 download complete. First time I acidentally cancelled it when it was around 89% :cry:
But now thankfully it is completed. Okay, bye.
DragoonHP

Post by DragoonHP »

I finally plyed v3 and yes Darroth you were right. There is no differnce in Lilly's expression. I matched frame per frame with v1 and find absolutely no differnces.

But there was one. Look at Lilly's eyes.
In v1, her eyes have a kind of shine, but in v3 her eyes have a completely dead look, except in the CG. I would have posted the image file, but I forgot to bring it.
I will post it tomorrow.
That was the only differnce I found, except the obvious ones.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

DragoonHP wrote:I finally plyed v3 and yes Darroth you were right. There is no differnce in Lilly's expression. I matched frame per frame with v1 and find absolutely no differnces.

But there was one. Look at Lilly's eyes.
In v1, her eyes have a kind of shine, but in v3 her eyes have a completely dead look, except in the CG. I would have posted the image file, but I forgot to bring it.
I will post it tomorrow.
That was the only differnce I found, except the obvious ones.
Yep, it's been stated that Lilly's eyes were altered to make her look blind-er.

It was pointed out in this thread

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2489
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

No difference? Are you playing the same game as me?

Screenshots will be coming in the future (like in a day)

EDIT: Bah, I can't even find the scene now... Dang it, I KNEW I should have specified which scene that was!
Katawa Shoujo's resident straight male kuutsundere.
(because just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

Konakona
Location: Florida, state for the newly-wed and nearly-dead. I am neither.

Post by Konakona »

To the developers of KS:
Quite frankly, you guys are one of the key inspirations in my life right now.

Until lately,
I've been feeling like crap.
The last two years of my life, ever since I started high school, I've felt like complete and utter crap.

I go to one the highest ranked schools in the U.S. (Or so says Newsweek)
Everyday, I go to school.
I get my good grades.
Then I go home.
I have no real friends; all of them are acquantances.
I have no life. I've been out with my schoolmates only five times that I can remember over the past three years.
I'm perfectly average at most things, and slightly above average at only one thing, drawing anime.
Sadly, I always think of myself as sucking at this as well because I have access to the Internet, where every other piece of art you see is better than yours. Much better than yours.
I was and somewhat still am a shut-in. And no, I've never had a girlfriend.

But this game...
It started off with me searching the Internet for free dating sims.(sad...so sad...)
After doing a little research, I started sifting through archives at Ren'ai. I was trying to find a "good" one, one that wasn't just some thrown together project.
After a day's worth of looking, I saw Katawa Shoujo. I remembered seeing the label before on one of my various treks through the Internet, so naturally, I clicked it.
The art was amazing, and the story concept was astounding. At first, I was weirded out by the fact that I was downloading a game that I thought was about disabled people. But after I started playing it, I was in shock.
I thought to myself, "4chan? 4chan made this masterpiece?"
Was that even possible?
But it was true.
I read about this story of a rag-tag team of Anon's getting together to create this beauty.
And "wow".
I wondered for a while:
"These people...don't they have jobs or something? How did they do this? They must be professionals in real life..."
But it wasn't that way.
You guys were doing this out of some random, almost insane urge.
Not because you were getting paid.
Not because you were looking for fame. But because you quite simply felt like it and wanted to do it.
Even though you guys obviously had HUGE hurdles to get over, even though you were, quite frankly, completely inexperienced, you guys just took it with a grain of salt. If there was a problem, you fixed it, even if it meant scrapping an idea you had worked on for a while. Simple as that.
In my life, I've never been one for quotes as motivation. Sort of stupid if you ask me. But there are is one quote that I have literally begun living by, and life is feeling much better because of it.
That quote is from your game.

"Do something you can't just because you can."

Well, thank you guys.
I felt like life literally had no meaning at all. Just live for some time, go to school, work, then die.
But you guys have shown me otherwise. Life is about living for what makes you excited. Living for doing the things that make you feel that almost electric feeling inside, even if it's something as mundane sounding as programming a script for a Visual Novel that probably at most tens of people will ever read, like I am right now and working on all the other aspects, too. It's about enjoying the act, not enjoying the gratification.

But then again, I'm just some highschool kid, what do I know about life? Just saying thanks for giving me some perspective on it.
(Btw, forgive me if this wasn't the right place to put this, I couldn't find a "Contact Us" button or something of the like.)
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

Konakona wrote:To the developers of KS:
:cry: I'm crying that was so beautiful. We are more alike then you realize.
Like I have said in the past this VN is going to change a lot of people. Pat yourselves on the back Devs, but not to much for it takes you away from finishing. :wink:
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

Konakona, if you write your VN with as much skill and devotion as you wrote that post of yours, you had better be damn sure to let me see the finished work 8)
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Konakona wrote:Everyday, I go to school.
I get my good grades.
Then I go home.
I have no real friends; all of them are acquantances.
I have no life. I've been out with my schoolmates only five times that I can remember over the past three years.
--
I was and somewhat still am a shut-in. And no, I've never had a girlfriend.
What, so you're practically an older, maybe a tiny bit less social version of me? o_O
Medrex

Post by Medrex »

Konakona wrote:
Nicely said.
It hasn't effected me quite as profoundly and I can't word it quite as Eloquently as Konakona but KS has impacted my life for the better as well.
The developers of KS are doing a simply awe inspiring job for no other reason than that they can and for that I salute them.
Konakona

Post by Konakona »

neumanproductions wrote: :cry: I'm crying that was so beautiful. We are more alike then you realize.
Like I have said in the past this VN is going to change a lot of people. Pat yourselves on the back Devs, but not to much for it takes you away from finishing. :wink:
Wow...thanks, mate.
I didn't realize there would be people who identified with me this much.
And I can't wait for the next installment either.^^
(To the developers: Please continue with the great work you guys are doing, I hope you'll be able to change more peoples lives with this project!)
Leotrak wrote:Konakona, if you write your VN with as much skill and devotion as you wrote that post of yours, you had better be damn sure to let me see the finished work 8)
Thank you for the compliment.
I will be sure to post it when I'm done! I hope it lives up to your expectations, although it probably won't be anything on level like KS, seeing as I'm working on it by myself right now.
For now, I'll just say that it's a mystery genre VN.
I'm almost a third halfway done with the script for the demo chapter(don't hold me to this), and I already have my basis and main ending branches lined out as a plan.
I think I'm at about 4000 words now, the full pre-release demo should be around 15,000 and the full game should be much, much longer.
I do intend for it to be around as long or a bit longer than KS's Act I, though.
It'll be using the same engine (Ren'py) as KS, and I've already learned a lot of the coding necessary.
Hopefully, I can finish the demo by the end of summer!^^"
Medrex wrote:
Konakona wrote:
Nicely said.
It hasn't effected me quite as profoundly and I can't word it quite as Eloquently as Konakona but KS has impacted my life for the better as well.
The developers of KS are doing a simply awe inspiring job for no other reason than that they can and for that I salute them.
*Joins in the salute*
Last edited by Konakona on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

Konakona wrote:
Leotrak wrote:Konakona, if you write your VN with as much skill and devotion as you wrote that post of yours, you had better be damn sure to let me see the finished work 8)
Thank you for the compliment.
I will be sure to post it when I'm done! I hope it lives up to your expectations, although it probably won't be anything on level like KS, seeing as I'm working on it by myself right now.
For now, I'll just say that it's a mystery genre VN.
I'm almost a third halfway done with the script for the demo chapter(don't hold me to this), and I already have my basis and main ending branches lined out as a plan.
I think I'm at about 4000 words now, the full pre-release demo should be around 15,000 and the full game should be much, much longer.
I do intend for it to be around as long or a bit longer than KS, though.
It'll be using the same engine (Ren'py) as KS, and I've already learned a lot of the coding necessary.
Hopefully, I can finish the demo by the end of summer!^^"
Just don't rush it - that'll do you more harm than good :) Grand goal you have there, though O.o By the way, you doing the art and sound n stuff yourself too?
And on writing: don't be afraid to put a chainsaw to what you wrote if stuff doesn't work right ;)

That all said, I don't think the Devs will look on us favorably if we keep derailing this thread ">_>
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Konakona

Post by Konakona »

Leotrak wrote:
Just don't rush it - that'll do you more harm than good :) Grand goal you have there, though O.o By the way, you doing the art and sound n stuff yourself too?
And on writing: don't be afraid to put a chainsaw to what you wrote if stuff doesn't work right ;)

That all said, I don't think the Devs will look on us favorably if we keep derailing this thread ">_>
Yeah, I'm doing everything myself except sound.(I'll probably end up finding someone else for that, I was never musically gifted.)
Thanks for the advice, I've already had to scrap some paths because they seemed sort of contrived.

And you're right, I'm gonna stop derailing this now.XDDD
Peace, mate.
(I'll make a new thread later...eventually, hahaha...)
DragoonHP

Post by DragoonHP »

I will just derail this thread for a post longer [couldn't stop myself].

It is beautifully written straight from the heart piece or either you are a master writer. Either case, you now have two persons who will be playing your game in the first go.

P.S.: I never thought there is someone like me in this world.
darrin

Post by darrin »

Been sitting on this for a couple of weeks now, sorry. Most of them are just minor grammar nits, with really just one exception (that I believe I mentioned regarding a previous version; it's kind of funny how much the "backwards" running track is bugging me considering how much I suck at sports :lol: ). Most of them I thought the mistake (and therefore correction) would be obvious; where not, I put a suggested correction in brackets afterwards.

Enter Stage Left
"It's pretty spacious; the ceiling is unusually high and there's lots of space left over around and inbetween the desks."

Sip (part 1)
"And with that, we part ways; Lilly entering her classroom and leaving Hanako and I to make off to our own."

The Running Girl
track still appears "clockwise"
[it still looks from the background picture as if Hisao and Emi are running clockwise around the track, as opposed to counter-clockwise; flipping the image should be enough to fix this]

Sip (part 2)
"Letting them to their chatting, I sit back and continue drinking [...]"

Promise of Time
"With both Lilly and I around, much of Hanako's withdrawn nature [...]"

A Private Lunch
"I keep searching the cabins and shelves for Misha's things, but [...]"

Clouds in My Head
"But it wasn't so why blood is rushing to my cheeks and my speech stammering?"

Short Sharp Shock
"'[...] although I'm sure telling you this is futile, and only causes me further headache when you choose to ignore the regulations.'"
[will only cause]

A Private Lunch [Shizune route]
"'I do get the feeling that not making issues of this is part of the social code here, as the teacher said.'"
[no conversation with teacher]

Home Field Advantage
"Misha puts her foot between my door to prevent me closing it[...]"

Home Field Advantage
"Shizune and her exchange nods."

Shanghaied
"'Well, I didn't know you and her were so close, either, the first time I saw you.'"
Terminally Hanako-smitten
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

Dang it, I'm nowhere near done with Act 1 v3 and v4 is out now!

Guess it's back to the old drawing board...
Katawa Shoujo's resident straight male kuutsundere.
(because just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)