Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
2-D

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by 2-D »

...Did anyone else notice that Lelouch (from Code Geass) is in Hisao's class? xD
I'd screenshot it but I'm too lazy.
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

Imagine me and you...
PHRD

Post by PHRD »

Hey, new guy here and I just finished the preview. Here is a few of might thoughts about it.

Game mechanics: Considering that this an amateur work, I am amazed on how well done this is. The background graphics are pretty realistic (are they photos of drawn pictures?) and the characters sprites is quite beautiful. Still I am forced to point out a few flaws, namely the following: first, there are times when the background music suddenly starts to lag, thus breaking the mood of the game; secondly, the way how the skip mode rushes during the the previously seen scenes but suddenly stops can catch players who are new to this genre of game off guard (on this matter, I recommend the add of a more blatant signalization of when the game is on skip mode or not); finally with the pace on which the auto mode progresses, some players might be forces to stop and check the backlog whenever they miss reading a bigger box of text completely, thus I question if this doesn't make presence of such option kind of moot.

On regard of the characters and their routes....

Hisao: As character he is neither likeable or dislikeable. But then again, he had surprisingly small amount of character development in this first act, despite being the main character of the story. For now, I will just wait to see more about him in the future.

Emi: Just like Hisao, her amount of development is small compared to the others, but that is kind of expected considering that she has the least amount of screen time in the game (I think even Kenji had more than her lol). Still, some scenes gave off kind of a imouto-vibe from her so I am guessing that her route might turn out to be less romance-oriented than the rest.

Rin: Aiming for Rin was as much fun as it was confusing. With the kind of character she has, there were several times when I was at lost on whatever my choices in the game earned point with her or not. But all in all, I will say that this is probably the best work of this preview.

Lily: The "ojou-sama"-type character was for me the easiest and quickest to sympathize with. Of course, the fact that she is the most beautiful girl in the game kind of made things easier. However, the fact of that her route has close ties with Hanako's might prove itself a hidden trap to some. Not necessarily a bad thing though, but is definitely something to keep in mind during the development of the other acts.

Hanako: So shy to the point that is cute, Hanako is definetely my favorite character in the game. Still, both because of her behavior and appearance, I couldn't help but making parallels comparisons between her and Miyazaki Nodoka from Negima?!. That in mind, I recommend a few changes in her design and maybe even in her character-concept in order to avoid the danger of possible bad critics regarding that issue or, in the worst of cases, a copyright lawsuit.

Shizune: Maybe is because she is one of the first female character introduced in the game, or maybe is something how she is portrayed, but I got the feeling that Shizune is the closest to a main heroine in the whole game. The way how the mood of her scenes flow from serious to funny to serious again also make her route the easiest to play with.

Misha: I feel sorry for the fact that she won't have her own route, specially since she is as charismatic as any of the other heroines. But considering how the plot development of Shizune's route is closely tied (more, like dependent (and even more so than Lily and Hanako)) to her, this is kind of understandable. Still I suggest the addition of at least one event in the game focused solely on her in order to appease her fans.
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

PHRD wrote: Hanako: So shy to the point that is cute, Hanako is definetely my favorite character in the game. Still, both because of her behavior and appearance, I couldn't help but making parallels comparisons between her and Miyazaki Nodoka from Negima?!. That in mind, I recommend a few changes in her design and maybe even in her character-concept in order to avoid the danger of possible bad critics regarding that issue or, in the worst of cases, a copyright lawsuit.

You don't get a lawsuit for a character having the same sort of personality. Only if it's the same character. I mean, many characters throughout history have had this kind of personality in mangas/anime/etc. Plus, Hanako and Nodoka do not really look alike at all.
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
PHRD

Post by PHRD »

Roxius wrote:
PHRD wrote: Hanako: So shy to the point that is cute, Hanako is definetely my favorite character in the game. Still, both because of her behavior and appearance, I couldn't help but making parallels comparisons between her and Miyazaki Nodoka from Negima?!. That in mind, I recommend a few changes in her design and maybe even in her character-concept in order to avoid the danger of possible bad critics regarding that issue or, in the worst of cases, a copyright lawsuit.

You don't get a lawsuit for a character having the same sort of personality. Only if it's the same character. I mean, many characters throughout history have had this kind of personality in mangas/anime/etc. Plus, Hanako and Nodoka do not really look alike at all.
You would be surprised. I've already heard of of lawsuit being issued because much less than this. True, they didn't go anywhere, but it was not because of lack of attempt.

Plus, is like they say; "Better safe than sorry"
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

PHRD wrote:You would be surprised. I've already heard of of lawsuit being issued because much less than this. True, they didn't go anywhere, but it was not because of lack of attempt.

Plus, is like they say; "Better safe than sorry"

Yeah, but...people tend to set up lawsuits for really stupid things sometimes (I read an article about a guy who sued a bear once). Besides, it'd be really troublesome for the devs to have to change so much of Hanako that's already done.
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
2-D

Post by 2-D »

Vertical wrote:http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1231

Go get caught up.
Hahaha. That's so fuggin' awesome. I wonder what kind of disability Lelouch has.
davidsonshdw

Post by davidsonshdw »

2-D wrote:Hahaha. That's so fuggin' awesome. I wonder what kind of disability Lelouch has.
A terminal case of FABULOUS.
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

davidsonshdw wrote:
2-D wrote:Hahaha. That's so fuggin' awesome. I wonder what kind of disability Lelouch has.
A terminal case of FABULOUS.

I remember I had wrote a fic of Lelouch waking up one day and finding himself suddenly at Yamaku, but I deleted it...
kuromatsu

Great job!

Post by kuromatsu »

i love you guys, i can't wait for the next episode ^^ lilly is love...
Thank you very much
Roxius

Re: Great job!

Post by Roxius »

...Whut?
Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne »

I've long heard of the VN genre, but I never really bothered to play any before. I've watched some anime derived from VNs (Air and bits of F/SN, mainly,) but I never really considered playing one before. I guess the pseudo-VN/dating sim Success mode of MLB Power Pros could count, but its story was so intertwined with its random event system that it made trying to accomplish a tedious affair of save/loading.

I've been a longtime lurker of 4chan, so I've noticed the slow development of KS for a while. It wasn't until I finished my last semester of college, however, that I had time to devote to lurking /v/ more often, and I ran into a KS thread, when I found out the project was done.

One word: WOW.

The graphics are extremely impressive, and I feel the photograph-styled backgrounds actually provide a better sense of realism to the story. The characters are just incredibly... three-dimensional, would be a good way to describe it. despite the 2-d art style. Even the bit characters seem very well fleshed out. And the story...? I don't know how to describe it, I guess. Power Pros only seems to deviate a little bit from the center story - even getting married during the game only slightly changes the ending. The way KS's whole tone can change depending on which route you take really floored me. The best example of this would probably be the beginning of "The Deep End", especially since I wound up taking Kenji's route last. His depression really came through in that scene, especially compared to his laid back attitude in Rin's ending or Shizune's moving ending. I've honestly never experienced anything like it before, though as I said I'm a huge newbie to this genre.

I was also kinda impressed by the technical details in the interface - I was honestly surprised that it ran on the Acer Aspire One I initially tried it out on, but it actually worked pretty well. Since my max resolution is 1024*600, I didn't expect it to work - but windowed mode juuuuust fits on my screen. The fancier effects (Mainly the fireworks) cause some choppiness, and I have to drag down the start menu to see the very bottom of the screen (really only covers the library's scene descriptions) but it's not a huge deal. Fullscreen mode runs must slower - must bee the weird resolution conversion, oh well.

All in all, keep it up!
Lishje

Post by Lishje »

Three simple words.

I love it.

Keep up the good work. I simply cannot wait for the rest of it. 8)
Sanjiyan

Post by Sanjiyan »

I might be preaching to the choir but do you guys have a senior/chief editor to go through the script to make sure they are consistent and all characters get the same attention? I felt that Act. 1 was a bit inconsistent on that part, though probably because certain things still aren't complete. I'd just like to suggest having one or two good writer being the chief editor and editing/adjusting all the scenarios so they feel equally complete and satisfying. Also edit for flow because certain dialogue can be streamlined; sometimes it was a bit wordy and reads a little awkward.
Last edited by Sanjiyan on Sun May 24, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onisake

Post by Onisake »

Finally I completed all paths. took me longer than i thought. Although i did get distracted by Mass Effect. And FFXI. And a few other things. anyway...

I enjoyed the game. I've played a lot of doujin games and VNs and i'm impressed. It is very well done.

Some of the character types are a little cliche, but what are you gonna do? That' something easily gotten over. What i do enjoy, is the wide variety of body types and the character development.

H-related stuff. I'll spoiler it for those of you that dont' want to read it.
I especially like how you can include a wide variety of fetishes. not the weird hardcore crap though. Not many games include something for the feet people. Not that i'm a foot person. but i can think of like...2 games that feature foot/penis action, in good taste. but those were more fap fest games...so yeah. There's also room for male submission with shiz, and female submission with hanako. not that i would want to tie hanako up, poor girl seems to have been traumatized enough. but its' there. (i would like to tie Misha up, hehehe >=3) there's also big breasts, medium breasts and small breasts! yay for breasts! of different types even! Paizuri! Paizuri! And of course my personal favorite, BJ. i'm just hoping Emi doesn't give most of them ~_~. That tends to happen a lot in h-games. why does only the lolli give BJs!? WHY!? *cough* I'm a bit biased, but i'd really like to see a Misha BJ, but i'd settle for a Paizuri. (Must...resist...hitting...drills *splurt* ah..sorry Misha.) i'm also curious to see which, if any, of the girls fancy anal. I'm not 100% expecting that though. I do expect paizuri and BJs though! =D I also expect the sex to be very emotional, not just for the girl, but Hisao as well. Hisao is putting his life on the line to show affection for the girl he loves, it's bound to be touching. I expect these scenes to really bring the couple closer together. Especially after browsing the forums and hearing the devs mention how important they are in developing the relationships. lots of potential. exciting. Can't believe i wrote that much and didn't mention that

More importantly, the character development is HUGE. I know enough about the character to feel for them. Like the are a real friend of mine, or if given the chance i might actually want to date them. (you know i have to say it at least once) Many of the characters act as i would expect/want them to. When Hisao was walking to the store with lilly, I pictured myself dating a blind girl, we'd go in the store, she'd grab me by the arm, and we'd walk though buying what we needed. and i thought 'ahh...bliss' and then Lilly actually did that to Hisao. I was hooked to Lilly then and there. I didn't like shiz at first, because she was being mean to Lilly, but then she grew on me after i thought about it. The characters are very memorable. And I really want to bang Misha. (There it is!)

All and all, it can't touch legends like tsukihime or FSN or Kana, but it has it's place. It's definitely better than some of the games i actually shelled money out for. I look forward to watching the progress of the game, and being apart of the community forums.