After the Fall [Undergoing Major Rework]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Envaris

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Updated Oct 20]

Post by Envaris »

A pair of randomly determined coin-tosses have given me Hanako as the first route in After the Fall.
Ballin.

Really likin this story so far man, and I'm glad that Hanako is the first choice for the routes. Completing all of them though sounds like a daunting task that I hope you finish :D
CloudGrain

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Update 6a]

Post by CloudGrain »

The tearoom seems to have an entirely different air around it from the rest of the classrooms here at Yamaku.

It's almost like it was someplace that'd been... forgotten, except for the visits that Lilly, Hanako, and occasionally myself had to it. It's not entirely unlike the one table that I'd found out behind my old school, someplace that was just far enough out of the way that nobody paid it much mind. Although, it brings me to something of a question as I think about the place I'd had at my own school. That spot had taken me a long while to find on my own...

"Lilly?" I ask, getting her to perk up somewhat from where she was pouring hot water out of a thermos and into teacups while Hanako was arranging a few sandwiches on a plate. "How exactly did you and Hanako find this room? It seems like the classroom isn't used, and it's a little hard to find if you're just wandering around looking for something like it." I ask, and further explain my question.

Lilly's smile tells me that this isn't exactly a story that she's ever had to tell before, but it more than happy to. "Actually, last year, this room was used quite a bit. For the meetings of the Student Representatives." She begins, carefully pushing over one of the cups of tea in my general direction, which I take gratefully. "As an auxiliary classroom, it was a very good choice to hold most of our meetings in. Unfortunately, like you said, it's a little further out of the way than some of the students might have liked. Especially being about as far as one could put a room from any of the ramps or elevators." She explains, the statement reminding me acutely of how hard it was for some students to get around without aid. "Shizune's decision to move the meeting room to the first floor was actually one of the more... well received of her changes. Even though it was something of a hassle." Lilly admits, tightening up a little bit at the mention of the Student Council's President.

"So you thought that letting such a nice quiet room go to waste would be a shame?" I ask, already eager to move on the topic somewhat from the Student Council in Lilly's presence. After that spat last week, I figure that letting Shizune or Misha too close to Lilly where it can be avoided is something of a mistake. Even just in conversation.

Lilly brightens slightly, apparently just as pleased by the obvious change in tact from the Student Council. "Indeed. I thought that it might suit me and Hanako well every now and again. Now we tend to spend most lunches here." She says, somewhat pleased with herself and her foresight on the matter.

I have to admit, the room does really seem to suit the manners of both of the girls. The quiet suits both Lilly's prim and proper nature right alongside Hanako's shy and withdrawn. I can't help but say it aloud either. "Yeah... I think you two found a pretty close to perfect spot here. It's... Nice." I admit, tentatively taking a first sip of the tea as both Lilly and Hanako seem to be pleased with my admission about the room. After just a brief moment's silence and consideration, Lilly seems to take the initiative to add something on.

"You know Hisao, I think that neither Hanako or I would be terribly bothered if you were to join us a little more frequently." She says simply, smiling as she takes a sip of her own tea. Turning to Hanako with a raised eyebrow, questioning ever-so-slightly, I manage to get a response out of her as well.

"I-It'd be nice." She admits, giving one of her usual shy barely-noticeable smiles of reassurance before turning back to her own tea for a moment's reprieve from my gaze.

I smile, again touched by these two girls' willingness to help me where they can, just by being there for me if they can. Maybe I've got to rethink that idea I've had that I didn't really have any friends here at Yamaku yet. "Thank you both very much, I think that I will." I say, unable to come up with any way to adequately really express just how thankful I am for all that they've done. The next few minutes pass in a very comfortable silence for me, while Hanako and Lilly very gradually break off to a conversation about the books that the pair have recently been reading. From what I can gather, it seems like Lilly reads quite a bit more western literature, whereas Hanako's tastes seem to be simply for whatever she can get her hands on in the library.

Absent-mindedly eating a few sandwiches, drinking tea, listening to conversation... it's nice to feel content with things as they are. Of course, all good things have to come to an eventual end, even at the relatively slow pace that things seem to go by in the tearoom, where time seems to almost be at a standstill. The tea and the sandwiches both vanish eventually, leaving us with nothing but a few woefully empty cups and plates. As both Lilly and Hanako seem to set about cleaning up, waving away my offer to help, I find myself coming up with a question.

"Lilly, Hanako?" I start, both of the girls stopping in their tracks to listen to me. "Is there much in town for students to do? I know there's a convenience store, but I'd think that there would be some things more or less geared towards high-schoolers with us being so close-by." I ask the question, hoping that maybe there will be something sufficiently interesting in the nearby town for me to waste a few hours doing. Either today or tomorrow, where I had so much free-time thanks to my diligence in the classroom. Back at my old school, I could always find something to do, but that was in the middle of a major metropolitan area. I don't think that I even noticed any buildings that might be large enough to hold a lot of the same activities, movies, arcades, or the like that I could find on almost every corner back home.

Lilly clasps her hands together, apparently thinking quite hard over the question.

"Not... So much, beyond most of the necessities." She admits, frowning a little bit before apparently remembering something. "However, there is a bus that goes to a nearby city that comes at nine in the morning on Sundays. I know that going to the city is quite a bit more popular on the weekend than simply going into town to pick up some groceries." She says with a smile, evidently quite happy to have come up with something of a solution to the question I'd asked. "Are you already getting a little tired of Yamaku?" She asks, her tone obviously a little teasing as she resumes cleaning up a few little things.

I laugh. "Well... I'm a little afraid that if all I do is read on the weekends and after school that the library might run out of material for me before graduation. I was trying to think of a few other things to do on weekends." I admit, getting a measured nod from Lilly.

"If you'd like, I've been meaning to go to the city for a while now for a few things that I can't get in town. Hanako might be willing to come along as well, to help you get a little better acquainted with the city." Lilly says, always willing to help. It's impossible not to notice the half-invitation for Hanako there as well, worded so that if she didn't want to she could easily get out of it. In a way, the situation more or less echoed my stumbling upon the tearoom in the first place, and having Lilly offer to take me to the library. An offer that really was a little bit too good to refuse, both managing to get away from Yamaku for a little while and actually having a little bit of guidance around the city as well.

"That'd be great, if you're sure that I'm not causing you too much trouble or anything." I say, hastily trying to ensure that I'm not imposing myself.

"I may well need to get away from school myself. I do believe that I may already be a little late for our Student Representative meeting. I'm sure Shizune will use it as an opportunity to try and instigate something." Lilly says, suddenly seeming to remember the fact with a little bit of a grimace. I can't help but half-mimic her expression out of a little bit of guilt, almost doubtless that I contributed to that potential lateness.

"Sorry didn't mean to keep y-" Lilly cuts me off with a smile and a wave of her hand.

"It's not a problem, Hisao. I can deal with the Student Council. I'm more glad that we were able to talk a little bit today." She says, smiling sincerely as she finishes cleaning up a few little bits of the tea-set and opening up her cane with a very casual motion. "You'll be at the bus-stop tomorrow?" She asks, reaffirming it as she presses her skirt down slightly, as if readying for the potential wrath of Shizune.

"Yeah, I'll be there." I say, unable to really deny the offer being made. With that, Lilly gives one last smile and nod before heading off with the usual tapping of her cane towards the nearest stairway. Turning around, I suddenly notice that Hanako's in the somewhat awkward position of having put everything of hers away, but not being apparently all too sure of leaving herself. It's also impossible to not have notice how silent she'd been at the suggestion of going to the city, with the open-ended implication that she might or might not be going with me and Lilly.

I decide that asking the question might not be terribly out of place. "So, do you think you're going to be coming along tomorrow too, Hanako?" I ask, getting a reaction of surprise from Hanako as she fidgets with her bag for a moment. Apparently, as natural seeming as the question was to me, it wasn't at all for her.

"I-I don't know..." She says awkwardly, trailing off. I can't imagine that going to the city would necessarily be one of the very best things given her shyness, but all the same feel at least a little bit guilty about possibly going out on a trip with Lilly without taking Hanako along. The pair are fairly close to inseparable, save for the fact that they're not in the same class and Lilly occasionally has student-council duties to attend to. I feel like I owe it to her to push her a little bit out of her comfort zone, after she'd been pushing me a little bit out of mine. I know that it's done me a world of good.

"I think we'll all enjoy ourselves, especially if you came along." I say simply, shrugging as I say it. Hanako's expression is one of mild surprise, and she very slowly gives a small nod.

"O-okay."

That was... surprisingly easy, to get her to agree to come along tomorrow. I smile, glad that I could get her to break out of her own shell just a little bit more. I have a feeling that tomorrow is going to be a fairly good day. Getting to go on a trip to the city without any schoolwork to worry about. A quick glance at my watch shows that it's only a little bit after my usual lunchtime now, and I can't help but wonder if there's anything else to do just in the school itself.

"So, besides reading, any hobbies?" I ask Hanako, trying to just make a little bit of conversation. She brightens from a somewhat pensive look to one of actual... mild excitement at the words, as if they've given her a way out.

"D-do you play... c-chess?" She asks, standing up and going to one of the shelves, seemingly conjuring a board from somewhere in it and a bag of pieces. I have to admit that I haven't played it in a long while, but Hanako's actual expression of enthusiasm for the game has piqued my own interest more than a little.

"I haven't played in a long time, but I think I still remember how." I say simply, watching as Hanako more or less displays the pieces.

"W-w-would you...?" She begins, trailing off in embarrassment before she can even get the full sentence out. Smiling somewhat, I finish it for her.

"Like to play? Certainly." I say, Hanako responding with a nod as she sits down across from me and dumps the bag of well-worn pieces on the table and begins to set up. Today's turning out to be a much better day than I'd anticipated when I'd gotten to class. And if things tomorrow turn out how they're looking to, I can't help but think that it'll be even better.
The mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a beautiful thing to lose.
TheTealeaf

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Updated Oct 22]

Post by TheTealeaf »

I really, really like the explanation you give for the tea room. It makes perfect sense and just fits really nicely.

there was a nice upbeat, hopeful tone to this piece and it was sweet enough to make me consider checking myself for diabetes.

As always cloud, excellent writing and another piece that I enjoy.

Keep writing my friend!

-Akane waves a peace sign and cheer leading squad lead by Yang-

:D

No seriously keep writing, I always enjoy your pieces.
Tealeaf. Old cockney rhyming slang for 'thief'. That is what KS did to me. It tealeafed my heart straight from my chest. Especially you Rin. Especially you.

One cannot think well, sleep well, love well if one has not dined well
- Virginia Woolf

Cooking is like love. Enter with abandon or not at all
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

TheTealeaf wrote:I really, really like the explanation you give for the tea room. It makes perfect sense and just fits really nicely.
Actually, this confused me. Is Lilly saying that the class reps have meetings separate from the Student Council? Because if Lilly means the Student Council, there's no way it would meet in such a dinky room as that. Also, given how close the tea room is to the library, I doubt it's that inaccessible.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
CloudGrain

Post by CloudGrain »

TheTealeaf wrote:I really, really like the explanation you give for the tea room. It makes perfect sense and just fits really nicely.

there was a nice upbeat, hopeful tone to this piece and it was sweet enough to make me consider checking myself for diabetes.

As always cloud, excellent writing and another piece that I enjoy.

Keep writing my friend!

-Akane waves a peace sign and cheer leading squad lead by Yang-

:D

No seriously keep writing, I always enjoy your pieces.
Thanks kindly, Tealeaf. :D I'm hopeful that I'll be able to add in a few bits of conflict here as well, not only catering to the good feelings. I'll absolutely be continually updating this as often as my brain co-operates with my writing functionality.
dewelar wrote:
Actually, this confused me. Is Lilly saying that the class reps have meetings separate from the Student Council? Because if Lilly means the Student Council, there's no way it would meet in such a dinky room as that. Also, given how close the tea room is to the library, I doubt it's that inaccessible.
Nope, in this case, Lilly is saying that the Student Council (read, Shizune) moved the assigned room for what I would assume was both Student Council and Class Reps into the room on the first floor that we're a little more canonically familiar with. I'll admit to a little bit of confusion as to what you mean by a 'dinky room', in this case. Based on the in-game photos for either of the two classrooms, it's fairly easy to assume that there's room for more than just a few people. While the tea-room is shown from an angle which is somewhat prohibitive to seeing much room, there are most certainly some desks beyond the main table that Lilly, Hanako, and Hisao usually use. Assuming that there are about ten or twelve class-reps, (3-4 classes per level), I can't think of a single classroom I've ever been in that wouldn't have the capacity.

As to the proximity to the library; I'll admit that it's a bit of a snaffu in the logic. Simplest explanation would be that perhaps some of the more severely inhibited students would be in classes on the first-floor for sake of ease. Or perhaps that Shizune's usual penchant for getting things done means that actually having the classroom a little further from her would allow for a little less friction between her and the other students when she was 'forced to wait' for them.

Eh. I'll regard it as a small issue that, if I can find another explanation at some point in the future, sure I'll replace it. But I don't think that I'll necessarily have to go terribly out of my way and obsess over it for too long. Regardless, thanks for the quick note on it!
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

CloudGrain wrote:
dewelar wrote:
Nope, in this case, Lilly is saying that the Student Council (read, Shizune) moved the assigned room for what I would assume was both Student Council and Class Reps into the room on the first floor that we're a little more canonically familiar with. I'll admit to a little bit of confusion as to what you mean by a 'dinky room', in this case. Based on the in-game photos for either of the two classrooms, it's fairly easy to assume that there's room for more than just a few people. While the tea-room is shown from an angle which is somewhat prohibitive to seeing much room, there are most certainly some desks beyond the main table that Lilly, Hanako, and Hisao usually use. Assuming that there are about ten or twelve class-reps, (3-4 classes per level), I can't think of a single classroom I've ever been in that wouldn't have the capacity.
Ah, but in the photo we do get of the tea room, the desks are jammed together on the right-hand side of the room. That to me would imply that this is either some kind of storage or utility room that has been repurposed as opposed to a classroom. The actual SC room appears to have much more space. Given that and (as you mentioned) its accessibility, I would be very surprised if that hasn't always been the SC room. Small point, though, so I'll stop belaboring it there :) .
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
CloudGrain

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Update 7a]

Post by CloudGrain »

Waking up to an alarm on a Sunday is a lot harder than waking up during the rest of the week. Without the implication that I'll miss school if I just hit the sleep button a few more times, I can't actually help but revert to a little bit of my previous laziness as I smack the sleep button twice, managing only to pull myself out of bed on the alarm's rather valiant third attempt. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, trying to adjust to the light already coming in the window, I manage to make out the time on the clock. Eight ten, more than enough time to get ready for the much anticipated trip into the city. Still more or less dragging myself along, I gather a few things for the shower and head out into the hallway and bathroom. I can't help but pause as I notice that the plaque which had Kenji's name next to his door has been removed. After the whole incident with me and him on the roof, I'm really not surprised. Actually, I'm sort of hoping for his sake that he's getting the help that he so obviously needs.

Reveling somewhat in the fact that I've got this hallway's bathroom completely to myself; I let myself doze a little bit as I shower, brush my teeth, take my medicine, dress myself, and otherwise just get ready for the day. A quick glance at my clock when I get back to my room shows that I've still got plenty of time to grab something to eat from the cafeteria before going to the bus station. Ensuring that I've got a little bit of money and my phone, I head down to the cafeteria.

It's a little surprising to see the change in the students with everyone in casual clothing rather than uniforms. There aren't a lot of students here, but since most of them aren't wearing the usual somewhat 'washed' colors of Yamaku's uniforms, they're certainly a little more pronounced. It's actually a little hard not to assume that a few of them aren't just wearing the more colorful clothes just for the hell of it, usually being somewhat restricted with the uniforms. My brief surveying of the cafeteria is cut short by my stomach's gurgling, and subsequent heading through the cafeteria line to grab something to quiet it down.

Just as I sit down, I notice a larger group of students actually in their PE uniforms coming into the cafeteria. It takes me a moment and a bite of food to realize that one of the group is actually waving at me and coming over.

"Hisao!" Emi calls out in her usual almost-too-happy voice as she more or less bounces over from the group to the opposite side of the table. "What'cha doing?" She asks, giving me more than enough reason to smile a little and raise an eyebrow at her attitude so early in the morning. It seems almost over the top, possibly even moreso thanks to her standing height being just a little bit taller than eye-level sitting down to my breakfast. It's about now that I remember Yuuko telling me the other day that there was going to be a track meet today, since I'd been looking for things to do.

"Just getting ready to head into the city in a little bit." I admit between bites, glancing at my watch to ensure that I'm still good for time. Emi's pout is fairly short in coming as she regards me.

"You're not going to stay for just a little while to watch the track-meet? Even after skipping out on me for running in the mornings?" She asks, obviously knowing just how well her puppy-eyes were able to work on people as she milks the expression for all that it's worth. Despite the pangs of guilt that are pretty much forced out of me thanks to the puppy-dog eyes, I know that I'd feel even worse for standing up Lilly and Hanako after having made plans with them.

Poking at my eggs and looking at them intently to avoid the pout is pretty much my only recourse as I try to explain myself. "Well, already made plans with Lilly and Hanako, and I'd feel just as guilty if I blew them off so soon to the bus getting here. They're only even coming along to help show me around the city." I say slowly, sneaking a peek upwards to see that Emi's pout has finally faded away somewhat. Mollified by my explanation of having a prior agreement.

"Well... I suppose that's fair. But you really should still get some more exercise, Hisao, instead of just giving up after one try. I don't think that Nurse would make me into a spy if he didn't think it were important." Emi says, shrugging a little bit as she at least tries to make a little bit of headway on the subject. Luckily, I think that I can deal with the faint ghost of a pout that Emi's got on a little bit better than the complete expression.

Rubbing the back on my neck, I nod a little and give an apologetic smile. "I should... But I'm not entirely sure if running would be the best thing for me." I admit with a shrug, getting a raised eyebrow and haughty expression from Emi.

"But running's the answer to almost every problem!" She exclaims, getting a grin from me as I shake my head.

"Not if it'll cause your heart to stop. Then, it can be the source of a few big problems." I point out simply with a faint hint of joking still in my voice, pointing my fork at her in emphasis before returning to my eggs. It takes me a span of a few seconds to notice Emi's... somewhat horrified expression when I look up. I can't help but be somewhat confused at Emi's sudden silence until I realize that... well, besides Lilly, Hanako, and the staff here at Yamaku, nobody else was exactly privy to my medical records.

It feels strange to have simply let it slip, especially in such a casual manner. But maybe it'd just been a situation where it was a little called for, trying to get Emi to understand a little bit better that I wasn't just standing her up. Getting her to realize that the whole reason I was here at Yamaku was to avoid doing things like running and having a heart attack. Maybe, just maybe, it was the first time that I'd appropriately managed to 'disclose my condition' because it was relevant to the situation.

"Is that why you didn't show up after the first day?" Emi asks, switching to a somewhat more serious mode. I simply nod, getting a thoughtful expression from Emi for a moment before she breaks out into the usual grin that's far better suited for her. "Probably a good thing then, Hisao. I might've just pushed you to have a heart attack. Then, I would've felt really, really guilty!" She says, doing a fair impression of a mortified expression before breaking out into a grin again. "Still, try to get some exercise, all right?" She asks cheerily, getting another simple nod and smile from me. Emi really does seem like she's just got an incredible amount of energy stored up somewhere. If the energizer bunny ever needed a substitute for a day... Emi perks up as one of the track-team members calls her name. "Gotta go, have fun in the city, Hisao!" She says simply enough, racing off like they're already at the track meet.

I consider wishing her good luck, but by the time that I even manage to get a hand up in farewell, she's already out of sight and earshot. Checking my watch, I realize that I've got to finish up here a little more quickly myself if I really want to continue with this streak of being early. Bolting down the few remaining bites of food, I grab my tray and make towards the nearest garbage. It doesn't take much more than a casual walk to make my way towards the bus-station with the feeling that I'll be there at least ten minutes early, just in case.

Of course, Lilly has me beat.

She's wearing an off the shoulder light brown sweater and a full-length tan skirt, sitting quite composed at a bench next to the bus station. As I close the distance between us, intent on getting close enough to speak and actually be heard, she looks approximately in my direction and asks. "Is that you, Hisao?" Catching me completely off-guard by her ability to notice me before I even spoke.

"Yes. How'd you know?" I ask, the combination of mild surprise and admiration in my voice giving Lilly a reason to smile and laugh lightly.

"Hanako's footsteps are a good deal lighter. And I do believe that she won't be coming until the last minute on this trip. She isn't partial to waiting for the bus out here in the open." Lilly explains simply, her last statement being the reason that her smile and generally light attitude falter somewhat before regaining themselves as she continues on. "Was there anything in particular that you wanted to find in the city today, Hisao? I can't say that I could find everything on my own as of yet either, but I do believe I know where we might find quite a few of the more common things."

"I'm not sure myself yet..." I admit, rubbing the back of my neck as I think of a few of the things that might be of interest to me. "I would definitely be glad to find some book stores, maybe a proper grocery store or market, and a few other odds and ends as we go. So that hopefully I could find them again on my own if I ever really needed them." I say simply, outlining a few rather simple goals for the day out. "Kind of just looking forwards to seeing how the day goes, getting out of Yamaku for a little while."

Lilly gives a single gracious tip of her head at that. A moment or two pass in silence before Lilly seems to recall something, and turns to where I've sat down with a questioning look. "Hisao, would you be willing to help me with something on the trip today?" She asks, to which I nod, before feeling like an idiot after a moment's silence leads Lilly to look slightly concerned.

"Er, sure. Sorry. What is it?" I say, immediately apologizing for the pause.

Lilly clasps her hands in front of her, dropping her voice down somewhat as she proceeds. "It's Hanako's birthday some time from now. But I'm not entirely certain that I'll have many opportunities to be in the city to shop around for her. If you could be so kind as to make a note of anything that strikes you..." She says very simply, smiling and shrugging as she leans back somewhat and finally drops the almost conspiratorial manner. The change in attitude strikes me as a little odd until I remember that Lilly said Hanako's footsteps were quite a bit softer than my own, which meant that they would be a little less likely to be heard 'out of earshot' of normal conversation.

"I'll try, anything in particular?" I ask, pushing the topic just a little bit further, suddenly finding myself somewhat interested in the idea of getting Hanako a present, even if it were still a while in the future. After the past few days with Lilly and Hanako, I feel like it might not be entirely out of place for me to get either of them appropriate gifts come their birthdays or Christmas.

"Anything that strikes you as suitable for her, really. I'm still very much looking for ideas myself." Lilly says with a smile, obviously content with the fact that I'll help her to accomplish something this trip. I file away the note to myself, and cast my glance around for the bus that should be coming any minute, as well as Hanako. I spot them both at almost the same time, with Hanako coming out of the school's gates just as the bus appears in the distance from the same direction. She's wearing an outfit that seems to strive to cover as much of her as possible, a jacket with somewhat longer sleeves, jeans, and a wide-brimmed hat. She gives both of us a small shy wave as she spots us and begins to head over. Lilly grasps her hands together in the littlest bit of worry as I give Hanako a small wave. "Oh my... Hanako may be late for the bus. I do believe that I can hear it."

Impressive though Lilly's acute hearing may be, it does still definitely have limitations compared to sight. I can't help but grin at it.

"Actually, she's coming over right now, she'll beat the bus to us." I say simply, which gives Lilly cause enough for a pleased smile. It takes just a few seconds for Hanako to come over, the bus still a little ways in the distance, maybe a moment or two away. "Good morning, Hanako. Ready to go to the city?" I ask, hoping that the enthusiasm I've got for the trip might be enough to bring her out of the shy state that she seems to be in.

Brushing her bangs even more in front of the blighted half of her face, Hanako looks away and nods once. "Y-yes." She says, voice already somewhat loaded with regret at making the decision to come with us.

Lilly seems somewhat put-off by the response, just like I am, but as we're both fumbling the situation somewhat I feel my mouth working ahead of my mind. "Maybe if we get back early enough, we can have a rematch for chess?" I find myself suggesting, hoping to take Hanako's mind off the impending trip and back to something that she'd fairly obviously enjoyed the other day. Both Lilly and Hanako appear somewhat surprised at the suggestion, although Hanako is quick to give one of her near imperceptible smiles and a quick nod.

"That... s-sounds good." She admits, the tension of the situation diffusing slightly with the simple words.

"Oh, and a rematch does mean that there was an original match. May I ask who won?" Lilly asks, smiling as she finally has a branch of conversation to hang onto a little more comfortably. I can't help but feel a little guilty at the answer. I'd won, not by a large margin, but I'd won both of the games that we'd played yesterday before finally retreating to our respective dormitories. Luckily, Hanako's the one to break the silence so that it doesn't seem like I'd be lording the winnings over Hanako.

"H-Hisao did."

"Ah. Congratulations, Hisao. I've never quite managed to best Hanako at chess." Lilly admits, just as the bus is rolling up to the bus-stop and beginning to break, the squeaking suppressing the start to saying that I'd only won by a little into nothingness. "Well, I suppose that we'd best be off." Lilly says simply, smoothing out her skirt as she stands up and extends her cane gently to the sidewalk, waiting for a few seconds for the relatively few passengers getting off the bus to do so before leading myself and Hanako into it.

"Thanks for coming along, Hanako." I take the opportunity to say as Lilly disappears into the bus, Hanako appearing more than a little hesitant to follow suit. Hanako merely seems to gloss me over somewhat, giving me an inscrutable expression before nodding and heading into the bus. I can't help but make another note in my mind, to redouble the effort to find something appropriate for Hanako's birthday in the city. I've got a feeling that dragging her out of her comfort-zone like this just might not be the best thing for her.
CloudGrain

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Update 8a]

Post by CloudGrain »

Had a city trip myself to take, no opportunities to write down the story in mind. Long-update to make up for it. :D

I've never been a big fan of bus rides.

You sit down, hope that the seats are somewhat comfortable and just wait. Sometimes, you've got people there with you to make a little bit of small-talk, like right now with Lilly and Hanako. But it usually runs out fast, turns into longer awkward silences between increasingly meaningless conversation. Especially when conversation really is just something of a nicety to begin with, it doesn't get very far. Lilly tries her best to pull Hanako into a few conversations with us, sitting with her across the walkway from me. Unfortunately, it seems like the shyness that's usually inherent in her is even worse as soon as Hanako gets pulled out into public, and even her usual sparse answers become one-word answers. The whole situation feels... stifled and uncomfortable for the whole duration of the bus-ride, with even Lilly looking distinctly uncomfortable as her attempts to make Hanako a little more at-ease continually fail.

I can't help but be happy when the bus-ride is over.

Hanako clings right to Lilly as we get off, and shows absolutely no inclination of moving away from her, half-hugged right up against her as she stares intently at the ground. Lilly's expression, while still somewhat concerned at the fact of Hanako's shyness and anxiety is looking somewhat better as well, as though this situation is a little more normal to her. It's hard to wonder just how Hanako might have survived at all without someone to cling to like Lilly, someone willing to accommodate her.

Shaking off a few ugly thoughts, I smile just a little uneasily towards the girls, neither of whom can see me; Hanako so intently focused on the ground while Lilly seems to be waiting for some cue. I take it as an opportunity to hopefully turn things around at least a little bit. "So... Do either of you know of any book-stores that might be open on a Sunday?"

Lilly smiles, apparently thinking to herself for a moment; I've got a feeling that not too many book-stores cater to blind readers here in the city, and if they do they might not have much that'd be of much use to me. Hanako actually looks up with what I might define as a somewhat hopeful gaze for a fraction of a second, before once again hiding her face behind her hat and finding something intensely interesting with the ground. Not exactly much of an improvement on the situation, but maybe a step in the right direction to keep the whole situation from getting even more tense.

"I believe that I know of some that might be open, although you two may have to simply see if they are." Lilly finally says after a few seconds thought, nodding. It takes me somewhat by surprise to hear the fairly candid reference to her blindness, although it makes perfect sense in its relevance to the situation. Hanako doesn't seem to at all register it as I agree to go, meekly walking alongside Lilly as we begin to head off in the vague direction that Lilly believes the bookstores are in.

Despite the relief of being off the bus, as well as having an actual destination in mind, I can't help but feel much of the same... discomfort as I had on the bus.

Despite all the similarity of the city to back home, the fact that Hanako and Lilly were willing to help me get a layout of it, despite the new leaf that I'd assured myself I was turning over; I don't feel great about it all right now.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm not at Yamaku right now, strange though it seems. The campus was an entire world away from anything that I'd experience before, especially those few quiet and almost hidden-away places that I've begun to find with Hanako and Lilly's help. On top of it, Hanako's... withdrawal from the world, and Lilly's own discomfort stemming from it only adds to this whole sensation of 'out-of-placeness' that I feel right now. It's like when I'd just begun to get a bearing of where I was, I'd thrown myself right out somewhere completely different. Only I'd also managed to drag at least one completely unwilling person along with me... for what isn't the first time, and probably won't be the last time, I feel really terrible knowing that it'd been my suggestion to Hanako to come along today.

Even with Lilly and me attempting to bring her into conversation here and there, I doubt I've heard more than a dozen words from Hanako since we've gotten on the bus. I can't help but finally break as we're walking and try to address her directly, despite feeling as though Lilly and I have more or less danced around the topic before rather than face it head on.

"So, Hanako, anything you wanted to do so long as we're in the city?"

You would've thought I was asking if she wanted to run through the city streets naked by the look of confusion and fear that seems to come from being asked a direct question; head popping up for just a fraction of a second before a blush seemed to cover her face and she shook her head quickly to dismiss the notion and return to staring at the ground. Even if it's barely a step up from staring at the ground in the first place, I feel like I should make-do with getting a reaction out of her at all here, and turn the question to Lilly.

"What about you, Lilly?"

Lilly gives her usual polite smile. "There are a few stops I would like to make, if you're willing to go through a little more of the city. Nothing urgent." She says simply, keeping it a relatively open statement so that if any of us were to object it wouldn't be too big a deal. I can't help but wonder if her attitude of accommodation is because of, or existed prior to her friendship with Hanako. Right now, all I give is a slight nod, before remembering the uselessness of it.

"Sounds good. We've got all day, after all." Lilly makes a noise of agreement, and I feel a little bit of the imagined tension of the situation seem to dissipate. I've just got to maintain the attitude I've been cultivating at Yamaku in order to try and enjoy myself a bit more. Lilly's usual politeness and agreeableness, combined with Hanako's somewhat amusing shyness help to reinforce it.

We find the first of the potential book-stores that Lilly knew about in short order. Or at least, one of the book-stores that Lilly had known about. What we're standing in front of after is a pet supply store, obviously having taken over the book-store. A little bit dissuaded by the ever-changing cityscape, Lilly collects herself and heads towards another of the shops that she remembers. It's the one somewhat damning thing about the selections that cities seem to have. That they sometimes change so much so quickly, with a single building housing stores for just a few months, or even weeks before housing something completely different. Quickly, we begin to lose an actual destination and merely begin to look out for a book-store wherever we might be able to find it.

Surprising both me and Lilly, Hanako is the one to spot the only book-store that seems to be open on a Sunday in the whole city. Tucked away in something of a crack between a pair of much larger and more well-advertised stores. It's a tiny shop, seeming to just barely have the space for a window, sign, and door on the face of it. Peering into shelves and shelves of books, packed somewhat tightly together, the lights on and some movement within.

If I'm not mistaken, I actually see Hanako looking somewhat longingly at it when we cross the street for a closer inspection. Opening the door to the soft chiming of bells, I hold it open for the two girls.

"Ladies first."

Lilly gives an appreciative smile, sliding her cane to be more compact and carefully stepping through the threshold, a hand lightly against the wall even as Hanako hurries through behind her to re-link with her to provide just a little more help on navigating. Following them, I watch as Hanako reluctantly has to part with Lilly in order to squeeze through the narrowly-spaced bookshelves.

The whole store seems to be what Yamaku's library might have become if it'd been forced into a single classroom rather than given quite enough space. The same smell of paper, of old book bindings seems to permeate the whole place. The bookshelves are all made out of just slightly different colors and grains of wood, changing from deep browns to light tans in an oddly aesthetic manner. Most of the books here look quite well-worn, but not abused as I somewhat blindly go in the same direction that Hanako and Lilly disappeared in. Old leather-bound books that've faded from black to brown, hard-covers with faded edges. Looking around, I don't think that I can find a single soft-cover book on any of the nearby shelves. Realizing that I've more or less lost Lilly and Hanako as I've been getting a first impression of the place, I continue in the same direction, occasionally taking a peek at a book that seems interesting.

It's mostly older western literature. Stuff that I've never heard of before, the books that didn't get immediately chronicled for everyone everywhere to need to read. Not usually my preferred reading-material, but still sort of interesting to see an entire store open on a Sunday selling it.

Getting to the end of the bookcases, I suddenly notice Lilly, Hanako hiding behind her apparently speaking to the store's owner. An elderly-looking woman who has been bent somewhat by time, standing behind the counter with a kindly smile on her face. Lilly perks up somewhat as I take another few steps towards them. "Have you found anything of interest, Hisao?" She asks, looking approximately in my direction, causing Hanako and the store-owner to look over as well.

"Not quite yet, although the store itself is certainly interesting. I don't believe that I've seen most of these books before, even at our library." I give a slight bow to the store owner, out of courtesy. The store owner doesn't quite seem to be looking at me, although she inclines her head in return and smiles.

"Thank you, dear. I wish that I could organize it a little bit better, but my eyes aren't what they used to be." She says amiably, trying to wave off the slight perceived messiness of the store. It also explains why she hadn't been looking at me before Lilly had more or less pointed out my presence to her. The store owner gives me a smile, and turns back to Lilly to resume whatever discussion they were having... something about one of the particular books that Lilly had been having trouble finding. Hanako looks... a little more at-ease in the store, away from most people, especially with the two conversing in front of her not exactly admitting to the best vision. I can't help but wonder if Hanako would be so shy without scars.

"Hey, Hanako. Do you want to look around a bit? I know you're a bit of a reader too." I find myself saying softly, trying to see if I can't get Hanako to relax just a little bit more as she just stands around boredly. This time, instead of meeting my gaze for just a second, Hanako turns, bringing up a hand over the burned half of her face, regarding me for a moment before nodding slightly.

"S-sure." She says, actually seeming to be just a little bit at ease here in an almost familiar environment.

I'm not really sure about how long we spend just going through the shelves of books, all unfamiliar titles, most of them more than a little dated. But it goes by... nicely, as Hanako and I explore the store in quite a bit of depth. Thumbing through the first few pages of a novel here, a collection there, admiring the occasionally absolutely beautifully bound book. Going through a pair of rows, finding ourselves back at the counter I'm almost un-surprised to find that somehow Lilly and the shop-owner are sitting down to tea and still chatting away. While I have to admit that a lot of the material of the store isn't exactly what I would have hoped, the whole atmosphere of it is certainly one that I can't complain with. Starting on another row, Hanako's already pushing a book towards me to show me the impressive leather-work on the cover, wearing a nearly imperceptible smile.

It's somewhat surprising to both of us that it's Lilly who tells us that she's more or less finished, locating us in a dark corner admiring what looks like a complete collection of a work we've never heard of. Some twelve thick tomes long with inlaid gilded-lettering on the binding of each of the books' leather spines. All in English, that just-somewhat comprehensible language made all the harder by the older-style words most of the old books seem to use.

"My my, I didn't realize you two were quite so interested in classic western literature. I'll have to teach you both braille so you might borrow some of my books." Lilly teases, causing Hanako to very nearly drop the third volume of the collection we were examining directly onto my foot. Luckily, between the two of us we manage to keep it from falling to the floor.

"As long as they're not in English, I think I just might." I say sincerely, managing to draw a slightly sour expression from Lilly, confirming my fear that they might actually be in English. I can't help but chuckle at that, deciding to tack on the reasoning. "Because my English really isn't good enough... reading half from a translation-book and half from the story really might ruin the story for me." Lilly's expression is still somewhat pouting but she seems to concede to my point.

"Well, at any rate, are you two ready to go out and visit a little more of the city?" Lilly asks, getting an actual slight nod from Hanako and a grin from myself.

"Sounds good, Lilly." I say simply, speaking for both of us as we turn to the doorway. Heading out with the tinkling bells announcing our departure, I hear the shop's owner calling out a goodbye cheerily. "Good eyes spotting that shop, Hanako. It was definitely interesting." I say as we head outside, getting a blush from Hanako as she turns her head back to the ground with what I think is a faint smile. Lilly also makes a noise of agreement.

"I'm certain that I'll be headed back there eventually. It very well might be that I could find a few less-common books in braille through there." She says, a tone of contentment in her voice as she once again slides her cane out and begins to walk forwards, sounding like she'd won some small lottery. In a sense, she actually very well might have. While a few of the bigger book-stores might have the potential to order just a few books in braille, they might very likely all go through the same suppliers. There though, based on at least some of the books that me and Hanako had found while more or less exploring, Lilly might be able to find some books that practically nobody had heard of.

Hanako, even looking down at the ground right now and back to clinging Lilly's arm, looks fairly happy to have found the store and been of some help on the trip.

"So... you said there were a few other places that you were thinking about going?" I ask, addressing Lilly.

"Well... we spent quite a bit of time in that particular shop. But there is one particular shopping area in particular that I thought might be good to go to for something to eat, as well as to maybe simply find something else interesting." Lilly admits, suddenly reminding me that it'd been quite a while since I'd had my light breakfast back in school. I'm fairly happy that my stomach doesn't start gurgling on cue, as if to make a point, but feel like it might be a possibility soon.

"Sounds good. You've got an idea how to get there from here?" I ask, wondering if we'll have to go through a similar procedure to earlier where Hanako and I had to describe a few landmarks to get Lilly properly oriented. Lilly nods this time though, having probably already remembered where we were in relation to a few other things.

Setting off at a decent pace, it's almost evident that the area Lilly's talking about is at a diagonal to the city-blocks, as we cross streets only to cross the perpendicular street as well. After just a few minutes, I notice both Lilly and Hanako sometimes casting a somewhat concerned gaze over at me, and when we stop to wait for traffic, Lilly finally seems to confront the issue.

"Hisao, are you all right?" I raise an eyebrow for a moment, before realizing that I'm breathing heavily and taking a second before I can even answer the two of them.

Damn, I'm out of shape.

"Out of shape." I say simply taking another few deep breaths as I shake my head, realizing that there's a growing itch in my lungs to wheeze like an old man. "Haven't exactly gotten a lot of exercise lately." I admit, feeling bad for the second time today that I wasn't exactly following the medical advice I'd been given, but feeling more justified than ever in the idea that running very well might've killed me. "Not a huge deal, don't worry too much. Just slow down a tiny bit?" I say and ask, getting a moderately concerned nod from both of the girls.

"We're almost there." Lilly says, both hands on her cane with her expression not quite going back to the usual polite smile as she seems to regard me. Hanako's gaze is even more... disconcerting, as she actually bothers to look at me with her usual deeply analytic expression for a few moments before breaking the contact to lead Lilly across the street.

The area that Lilly leads us to, admittedly quite close to where the girls noticed my complete lack of physical fitness, seems quite suited to her. A nice little cafe stands with mostly outdoor seating right off one of the larger streets of the plaza, the chairs looking more than a little inviting as I realize how many hours we must have actually spent looking around for a bookstore and then through the one that we'd found. It's a nice day out too, the sun brightly shining while the wind seems to be coming occasionally at best.

Sitting down is a great feeling after being on your feet for so long, especially when a waitress bounces right up to take orders. All three of us settle on rather light lunches, with Lilly and Hanako choosing their customary tea while I go for coffee.

"So, is the city living up to your expectations of something interesting to do on the weekends?" Lilly asks, smiling across at me and Hanako.

"I think so. Thank you both for the company." I say, sitting back and enjoying the feeling of sitting down after being on my feet for a few hours.

Surprisingly, while Lilly just nods with a smile, I can hear Hanako speaking, "N-no problem." before looking away with a somewhat embarrassed expression. Luckily, at least probably for Hanako, our food arrives very shortly after and gives an excuse for a period of silence where we all dig in eagerly. After finishing, sitting back contently, I check my watch for what has to be the first time today and am somewhat surprised by the time. It's almost two in the afternoon already... we'd probably spent an hour or so just looking for a bookstore, then a few hours inside of it before spending another hour or so getting up here for a late lunch. I can't help but voice it out loud as an expression of wonderment, at which Lilly suddenly looks like she's thinking somewhat hard.

"You know... we could make the three o' clock back to Yamaku if you're not feeling like spending a few more hours here, Hisao." She says thoughtfully, finishing off the last bit of her tea as she waits for my response. As I lazily sit there, I can definitely notice Hanako out of the corner of my eye fidgeting slightly at that. She'd been slowly shutting down just a little bit more in public since we'd left the book-shop that she'd been so much more comfortable in. As much as I might actually have liked to go on for a little bit longer, I still do feel a little bit guilty about potentially depriving both Lilly and Hanako of all of their Sundays' too.

"That sounds good... I'll admit that it took a little more out of me than I was expecting."

"Y-you're alright t-though?" Hanako interjects, looking over at me for a fraction of a second before as usual looking away, unable to maintain eye contact. I can't help but smile at what I feel like is almost unnecessary concern. I was a little winded earlier, not in the middle of a heart-attack. Hell, if I'd really wanted to I probably could've jogged for just a little bit today without too much of an issue.

"I'm fine. But, I did promise you a chess rematch when we got back anyways, didn't I?" I say, half-jokingly as Hanako looks back over to me. I'd be willing to swear that she's actually got a somewhat more noticeable smile than usual on as she nods.

It's a nice smile, and I really can't help but sort of wish that she'd smile a little bit more.
Last edited by CloudGrain on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mirage_GSM

Re: After the Fall [Alternate-Ending, Updated Oct 26]

Post by Mirage_GSM »

"So... Do either of you know of any book-stores that might be open on a Sunday?"
That would be "any book-store" in Japan. Shops don't usually close there on Sundays.
Even with Lilly and I attempting...
"Lilly and me"
despite feeling as though me and Lilly have more or less danced around the topic
"I and Lilly" - or even better "Lilly and I"
It's about as close to a 'hole in the wall' as you can get,
And shops in Japan can get VERY close to a 'hole in the wall'... ;-)
Old leather-bound books ... mostly older western literature.
Old books with western literature? I don't think Hisao's English skills would be sufficient to read those since they would almost certainly not be translated into Japanese...
But it goes by... nicely, as me and Hanako explore the store in quite a bit of depth.
"Hanako and I"
While a few of the bigger book-stores might have a larger selection of books in braille
I don't think you will find a bookstore that stocks any books in Braille in all of Japan - or most of the rest of the world as well.
a similar procedure to earlier where me and Hanako had to describe a few landmarks
"Hanako and I" - It's uncanny how you always pick the wrong option...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

CloudGrain wrote:After just a few minutes, I notice both Lilly and Hanako sometimes casting a somewhat concerned gaze over at me,
Hmmm...something not quite right here... :wink:
brythain

Post by brythain »

dewelar wrote:
CloudGrain wrote:After just a few minutes, I notice both Lilly and Hanako sometimes casting a somewhat concerned gaze over at me,
Hmmm...something not quite right here... :wink:
I always knew there was something sorcerous about Lilly Satou.
While others call her 'the Divine Lilly', I think of her as 'the Diviner Lilly'. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
CloudGrain

Regarding Major Rework.

Post by CloudGrain »

After the Fall is going to likely be out on a fairly major hiatus for an indeterminate amount of time.

My concern about varying in my quality as I go along through this seems to be somewhat validated, going from around a 1.000 word introduction to the story, all the way up to major [and more frequent-seeming] 2.500 word+ updates within relatively short periods of time. This is certainly in no small part thanks to my having quite a bit more time, and therefore energy to put into my writing this and other stories. However, it makes a huge deal to me personally to have so... 'loaded' the story by now. To have such a small introduction, with what I'll admit to be less thought-out ideas and concepts backing it and building upon that with ever more-elaborate details. I'm not entirely certain that I can build any real impressive tower from such an unsteady-seeming base.

That being said, I've got absolutely no intention of scrapping the project I've set before myself. I personally like the concept, and have been more than glad to see that at least a few people seem to read it and enjoy it as well. But I'm sincerely hoping that I can do a hell of a lot better if I go back and fix some things, add some things, and generally improve as much as I possibly can about the story before continuing. Of course, this likely means that there won't be any 'real' updates to the story until I manage to hammer out all of these changes to the basic structure, and probably won't mean much in regards to the actual storyline seen thus far.

Therefore, the entire 'rework' will be released as an entirety when it is completed. Hopefully this process can be completed in just a few short weeks, and I can continue with the story from just about exactly where it left off, and shortly thereafter begin working on some of the other routes. But of course, life tends to throw wrenches into the processes no matter how carefully we plan them, and there's no way that I can necessarily guarantee a timeframe for the rework to be complete to my own satisfaction.

In short, consider this story more or less grinding to a halt for a time being, and for a (hopefully) much improved version to appear sometime in the future.
azumeow

Re: Regarding Major Rework.

Post by azumeow »

CloudGrain wrote:IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT THING.
I think that's a decent idea. While I've enjoyed reading this, it did seem to have started off a little shaky. A re-work from the beginning will probably only do good things. Good luck glorious author-sama!
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
Minion of Chaos

Re: After the Fall [Undergoing Major Rework]

Post by Minion of Chaos »

Good luck with the rework and I anticipate the changes! Remember, make it right (in your opinion/desire)- time isn't an object
Mirage_GSM

Re: After the Fall [Undergoing Major Rework]

Post by Mirage_GSM »

That's probably a good idea.
The way the story was heading at the moment I was worried it would be "just" an alternative Hanako-route appended to the Manly Picknick. the last chapter hardly referenced the fall anymore - it might still have been a good story, but that was the thing that set this story apart form others.
Just something you might keep in mind when doing your rewrite.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.