Alt Dreams [One-Shots] (#63—'Winterhome')

WORDS WORDS WORDS
Mirage_GSM

Re: Alt Dreams [One-Shots] (#62—'Secrets')

Post by Mirage_GSM » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:03 pm

That... Wasn't even trying to be fluffy for most of its run...

Also: Two stories with a Shizune X Kenji pairing on the same day :shock:
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:18 pm

Even worse, they're both post bad end and could more or less be the same timeline. And entirely unintentional, I assure you.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:27 am

I'm beginning to get wary of all the times you claim something is a coincidence :lol:

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

brythain

Alt Dreams [One-Shots] (#63—'Winterhome')

Post by brythain » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:15 pm

This one's written for the 2019 Secret Santa project initiated by ProfAllister.

Victim: PKMNthiefChris

Prompt: Hisao and the routeless girl of your choice (Miki, Suzu, Saki, Ikuno, etc. OC's accepted if that's how you're inclined) will not be going home for the holidays. What do they do for Christmas at Yamaku?

Winterhome

“Each year, about 20% of the school’s population elect to remain in residence during various holiday periods during which formal lessons and activities are not scheduled. Some facilities remain open, and sufficient faculty remain on campus to ensure that the needs of these students are catered to.”—Handbook of the Sendai-Aoba Mountain District Academy, 2006 Edition

“Hey man, sorry I’m not keeping you company, I have to visit my mother and drink whiskey with her. You stay safe from feminists, barricade your room, okay? I’ve left a stash of survival rations in our common bathroom, in a place where no feminist would think to look. Enjoy!”

And with that, his last connection to humanity—such as it was—had snapped.

Hisao sat crosslegged on the roof. There was a scent of frost in the air. His hometown had seldom had snow, but when it had happened, he had died for the first time. Snow was evil. Women were worse. And the new patch of fencing on the rooftop reminded him that drinking to forget all of it was even worse than that.

In games, he mused with dull resignation, you only get three lives.

Down in the courtyard, life passed by on its scattered and confused way. There were still people in the school. From up where he was, they looked like colourful little maggot-priests. He shook his head violently at the thought. Damn, I’m beginning to think like Kenji.

Yes, Kenji Setou, who had got him drunk and then somehow rescued him from falling off this very roof to a certain death. He’d died anyway, from shock. He’d almost died again from the agony of being resuscitated by a very enthusiastic and panicky Kenji, who had summoned the emergency services while thumping and pumping what remained of the fragile heart in his chest.

So now, what do I do? Mother and Father, they’ve accepted my excuse of having too much work to catch up on. My classmates seem to hate me, or they’re just not the kind of people to work on a sad-case depressed cripple. They probably have their own individual sad-case cripple depressions to work on, anyway.

Speaking of which, I have to visit the Medical Centre.

Sighing, he got to his feet, rubbed his nose until he could feel it, and stamped his feet. The stiff breeze hadn’t numbed his feelings, only his flesh. Maybe reviewing his new medication list would be entertaining. He could make a poem of those names. Ha!

“Nakai. Stop it!”

“Huh?” was the best he could come up with, under the circumstances.

It was that odd foreign girl who occasionally hung out with the other front-row students. In class, she sat in front of him, but had never joined his study group. She was an odd kind of dark-skinned, not the tanned Miki Miura kind, but a deep colour that looked like half-milked coffee.

She looked down at him, one slim hand on a grab bar near the door. “You keep singing some odd katawa song with chemical gibberish thrown in. Stop it. It’s disturbing the harmony of the medical centre.”

“Moriko?”

“Mori is fine, if we’re going there. Hello, you’re Hisao, who for months has not dared to address a girl without any thighs despite being seen at least once admiring a girl without any calves.”

“Um. Sorry.”

She laughed. It was unexpectedly loud and low and musical, which allowed Hisao an attempt at gallantry.

“You have a beautiful laugh.”

She turned her head a little to one side, like a vulture eyeing a corpse that had suddenly opened its eyes and smiled. “That’s lame. I can’t wait to hear what else you’ll come up with, walking dead man.”

He felt as if someone had just dropped him off the edge of the roof again. Unable to find anything to say, nor the willpower to say it, he remained in his seat, crossed his ankles, placed his palms flat on his thighs, and closed his eyes. He felt more resigned than tired, but wasn’t sure how much of either was weighing his heart down.

“Hey,” he heard her say softly, “that was a bit too soon, right? Tell you what, after you’re done with Nurse, I’ll be waiting outside.”

Completely confused, Hisao just nodded, not trusting himself to even open his eyes. He heard her odd metallic movements as she let herself out, and wondered how her legs worked, for the first time in his life.

“This place is amazing,” he whispered to her. In the last few days, she’d been showing him around Sendai. They’d eaten grilled beef tongue and hot mixed-seafood balls of a kind he’d never tasted back home. They’d drunk frozen soybean slushies. They’d walked through museums and mausoleums.

She’d even shown him how her various legs and their interchangeable options worked. He’d been a bit disturbed by how the scent of machine oil was beginning to trigger erotic impulses in him.

“The lighting from the north façade is very different compared with that from the south façade.”

Somehow, her tour-guide English accent, when she chose to use it, was also a turn-on. If I kiss her, he wondered, will I drop dead from the shock?

He’d asked her how it was possible for Japanese to be spoken with an English accent. She’d laughingly replied, “Foreigners do it all the time. I’m good at English with a Japanese accent too.”

Always, there was a touch of reticence about her ancestry. He hadn’t dared ask her where she got her colour from, but he knew her father was an Indian, one of many kinds of dark people from South Asia; her mother was Japanese, and a rebel.

“Hisao?”

“Sorry, distracted by the lighting.”

She looked at him questioningly, then laughed. “You haven’t heard anything I’ve said. This isn’t a very beautiful place. It’s just a glorified library. A very big one.”

“I like libraries.” All he could think of was: I love to hear her laugh.

“I like lots of things, Nakai-san. Glad to see you cheering up, because one thing I don’t like is moody people.”

For no particular reason, he found himself blushing.

It was at the archery range that he popped the question. She’d just fired off what seemed to be several rounds of perfect flights (she called them ‘ends’), hissing under her breath at the effort. There was a lot of strength in her upper body, which wasn’t as slim as he’d thought it was.

“You’ve got so much life in you, Molly,” he began, taking pains to form the ‘l’ sound that she preferred in her name. “Why aren’t you travelling with your family for Christmas?”

A split second after he’d asked it, he knew it was the wrong question.

“Huh.”

She carefully placed her bow on the stand beside her.

“Erm, you don’t have to…”

She silenced his desperate attempt to back out with a single sharp gesture.

“I’m always alone at Christmas, as are the other members of my family.”

“That must suck,” he said lamely, sensing that he was digging himself in deeper.

“It does. But you know what? Every holiday gives me a chance to find someone who’s also alone, and try to give them a good time.”

Many years later, when Hisao had survived into his late 40s, he’d still never forgotten that Christmas. He and Miki had both lost touch with Molly Kapur, who travelled a lot and occasionally appeared in their newsfeeds. But both of them had benefited from her crazy friendship, and she’d engineered the date that had got them married.

And so, on Christmas Day, just as they did every Christmas Day, the two of them toasted her. When the kids made their traditional request, “Tell us about Molly!” they always replied, “There’s too much to tell!” and then picked yet another outrageous tale of wonder and joy.

END
=====
alt index
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

Feurox

Re: Alt Dreams [One-Shots] (#63—'Winterhome')

Post by Feurox » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:15 pm

Wow, Brythain. That was wonderfully powerful for some reason. I utterly adore the flash-in-the-pan style, with life rapidly taking place around the edges. There's a beauty to the snippets of this story, like we don't need the in-betweens.

Wonderfully done, as always Bry. You continue to inspire my own stories. Thank you.

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:01 pm

"Moriko" really confused me for a while ^^°
Still a beautiful story, though.
It might have worked even better if it wasn't set at christmas, but that was more or less unavoidable given the prompt.

Sore wa himitsu desu.

brythain

Post by brythain » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Feurox wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:15 pm
Wow, Brythain. That was wonderfully powerful for some reason. I utterly adore the flash-in-the-pan style, with life rapidly taking place around the edges. There's a beauty to the snippets of this story, like we don't need the in-betweens.

Wonderfully done, as always Bry. You continue to inspire my own stories. Thank you.
Thank you, Feurox. I had considered filling in some of those blanks, and may yet do so in time to come. But it sort of works, yeah? :)
Mirage_GSM wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:01 pm
It might have worked even better if it wasn't set at christmas, but that was more or less unavoidable given the prompt.
Heh, I've always thought of 'Molly' as what her father calls her and 'Moriko' as what her mother calls her. She's more comfortable with her biracial background than Lilly is, even though her kind of background would likely be more discriminated against in Japan. Thanks very much, Mirage!
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

Kathos

Post by Kathos » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:11 pm

brythain wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:09 pm
Feurox wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:15 pm

Thank you, Feurox. I had considered filling in some of those blanks, and may yet do so in time to come. But it sort of works, yeah? :)
Mirage_GSM wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:01 pm
Heh, I've always thought of 'Molly' as what her father calls her and 'Moriko' as what her mother calls her. She's more comfortable with her biracial background than Lilly is, even though her kind of background would likely be more discriminated against in Japan. Thanks very much, Mirage!
sorry for replying with useless nonsense to say but it still amuses me that people who made their account 6 years ago still visit these forums.
Katawa Shoujo will never fade away. no matter when, there will still be someone introduced to KS or feel the way this game has changed their life. :D

brythain

Post by brythain » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:14 am

Kathos wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:11 pm
sorry for replying with useless nonsense to say but it still amuses me that people who made their account 6 years ago still visit these forums.
Yeah... I decided I'd be here till 2024. Then, of course, something critical happens in the timeline.

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:38 am

I made my account nearly ten years ago...

Sore wa himitsu desu.

Kathos

Post by Kathos » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:17 am

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:38 am
I made my account nearly ten years ago...
i meant byrthain lol but yeah guess it would have made more sense to say you instead ´ᵕ`
Katawa Shoujo will never fade away. no matter when, there will still be someone introduced to KS or feel the way this game has changed their life. :D