The Manila Tales –A Summer-ish Series Conclusion Update

WORDS WORDS WORDS

griffon8

Re: The Manila Tales –A Summer-ish Series (Updated 9/18)

Post by griffon8 »

Hoitash wrote:I was worried they’d keep me at a distant, but they accepted me pretty much right away.
Where was she worried about being kept?
Hoitash wrote:I nodded, “I enjoy it, and now that the first years have suffered the humiliation of being beaten by someone who’s seventy kilograms soaking wet, a lot easier to manage.”
HOW MUCH? :shock:

I’d say nobody in high school should feel humiliated about being beaten by a 154 pound girl.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

griffon8 wrote:
Hoitash wrote:I was worried they’d keep me at a distant, but they accepted me pretty much right away.
Where was she worried about being kept?
That woulda been off-screen, as I haven't yet written anything involving Soon-hee's time at Yamaku (not counting the first half of Chapter One.)
Hoitash wrote:I nodded, “I enjoy it, and now that the first years have suffered the humiliation of being beaten by someone who’s seventy kilograms soaking wet, a lot easier to manage.”
HOW MUCH? :shock:
I’d say nobody in high school should feel humiliated about being beaten by a 154 pound girl.
Blasted metric system.

60 kilograms soaking wet, 56.5 kilograms normally. She's going to be a bit denser because she has Mikasa Ackerman level muscles.

So she's roughly 125 pounds, give or take. The ideal weight for her height I believe is the 121 range.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

That woulda been off-screen, as I haven't yet written anything involving Soon-hee's time at Yamaku (not counting the first half of Chapter One.)
I think griffon's comment was about the grammar...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
I think griffon's comment was about the grammar...
That is correct. :lol:
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Hoitash

Re: The Manila Tales –A Summer-ish Series (Updated 9/25)

Post by Hoitash »

“The beggarly question of parentage--what is it, after all? What does it matter, when you come to think of it, whether a child is yours by blood or not?” –Thomas Hardy

Previous Chapter

Chapter Seventeen: The Detective’s Tale

Nothing was really planned for Saturday, the last day before we flew back to Japan, so everyone kind of wandered off to do their own thing. Aunt Hana and Akio were riding around the city, probably racing cab drivers and jumping over jeepneys using fruit carts for ramps while dodging pedestrians. Hisao had taken Refia out for some father-daughter time, while Satomi, Hisato, and Miya did some last minute sight-seeing and photography.

I didn’t really feel like going anywhere, so Kenji offered to spend the day with me in the suite. While I had gone swimming, he had set up a tent in the living area using a bed sheet, the sofa, and a couple chairs from the dining table.

So we camped out in the little fort, eating orange slices and cookies while playing Go and sipping tea. It was a silly thing, sure, but I really appreciated that he had done it, and I was grateful that I had people in my life willing to do that kind of thing for me.

A couple of turns into the game, I expressed my gratitude to Kenji as best I could.

“Thanks for hanging out with me,” I said.

Kenji grinned and looked the board over, leaning forward so he could make out which pieces were what color, “Glad to. I hope you don’t feel like I was avoiding you, but I wanted to give you some space this week.”

“I appreciate it,” I said, “and sorry to keep you from your-”

“You’re not,” Kenji declared.

I smiled and looked down at the board. I didn’t look up again until Kenji clicked a piece into place.

After examining the move and its consequences, I sighed and looked up at Kenji, “Maybe I should switch to card games. I suck at board games.”

“You ever play Liar’s Dice?”

I shook my head, “Never heard of it. I take it dice are involved?”

Kenji smirked and nodded, “Good call. Needs a few more players, though. When they get back I’ll ask Akio and Hisao if they wanna have a go, if you’re up for it.”

“Sure, sounds like a nice change of pace. Speaking of Akio, is he okay? He always seems flustered for some reason.”

Kenji chuckled and nodded, “He’s fine. He has his father’s social skills, is all.”

I wasn’t sure what he meant, but figured it wasn’t really my business. After I made my move, Kenji spoke again.

“I heard about your nightmare earlier this week,” he stated, “Had any since?”

I shook my head, “No, thankfully.”

“That’s good.”

“Yeah, but…” I trailed off.

Kenji glanced up from over his glasses, “Something up?”

“It’s just… when I first became Vice Captain of the Judo Club, sometimes, in my nightmares… the students would be in them.”

“And now you’re worried the same thing will happen with the kids?” Kenji guessed.

I nodded, “I know they will. I can already see how Refia’ll….”

I swallowed and shoved a cookie into my mouth. Good thing I work out so much.

Kenji smiled and pat my head, “The same thing happened to me when Hisato was born. It’s a sad, sick fact that the people we care most about are also the things we dread losing most.”

I sighed and nodded. Kenji ruffled my short hair a bit and lowered his hand.

“I hate that they’ll never go away,” I muttered, “The nightmares, I mean.”

“Some pains are too deep to ever leave us,” Kenji said, “It’s one of the downsides of human endurance.”

“Still hate it,” I grumbled.

Kenji gave a weary chuckle, “We all do.”

After looking over the board for a bit, Kenji made his move. While I contemplated my own, I sipped my tea and looked the board over. When I was ready, I carefully put my white piece into place.

“…Do you ever get sick of listening to me bitch about my problems?” I asked.

“Course not,” Kenji declared, “I told you before, you’re not a burden, and that includes your own burdens as well.”

“I know, but-”

“No buts,” Kenji interjected, “I can’t take the nightmares away –and believe me, I wish I could- but I can listen when you’re upset. I am a father, after all.”

Kenji grinned at me, sipped his tea, and looked down at the board, contemplating his next move.

“Sorry,” I muttered.

“You have nothing to be sorry for,” Kenji stated, and snapped a piece into place, “So besides the nightmare, have you enjoyed the trip so far?”

I nodded, “Yes. It’s a beautiful country with lots to look at and do, and the kids are fun to hang out with.”

“I noticed you and Satomi hanging out,” Kenji remarked, “and Refia seems pretty fond of you.”

“Yeah. I was worried the age difference might be a problem, but they’re good kids. Although Satomi can be a bit….” I trailed off as I thought of a word that was accurate without being insulting.

“She’s at that age, I guess,” Kenji said, “Speakin’ of, they’re probably so cool with you because you’re like an older cousin, and that’s always a good thing. Everyone loves the cool older cousin.”

“I guess. These kinda dynamics are still new to me.”

“You seem to have gotten the hang of it. I could tell right away you were a quick study.”

I looked down at the board and smiled, “Thanks.”

Kenji smiled and waited for me to make my move.

A few turns later, Kenji asked if there was anything else I had on my mind.

“Well… with the vacation almost over, I’ll be living with you guys for the rest of break, right?”

Kenji nodded, “We might go up to Hokkaido for a long weekend near the end, though. And who knows what work Miya might get. You might get a chance to college search in the States sooner than you thought.”

More travel sounded cool, but that wasn’t what was bothering me, “Cool. I guess I am a bit worried about what I’ll do when I’m there. It’s bad enough I’m using your home office as a bedroom, I don’t wanna be any more an inconvenience.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Kenji said, “Miya’ll cook with you, we’ll play chess and stuff, and you can always babysit Hisato or the Nakai kids for us. We should probably have the Williams’ over sometime, too. Or visit Shizune and Shiina –I bet Shizune would love to throw down with you.”

“…You’ve thought a lot about this,” I remarked.

Kenji grinned and nodded, “Hey, we gotta introduce you to everyone eventually. And you haven’t even met Emi’s kids yet. You and Skittles’d get along great, I bet. Besides, you’ve stayed with us before for a bit, so it’s not like we’re treading new ground here.”

“You’re right,” I said, “Sorry.”

Stupid ingrained mental responses.

Kenji waved away my apology, “I told yah I’d stay by your side, so, like it or not, you’re stuck with me, and, if you’ll pardon my word choice, there’s a whole asylum that comes along with me.”

Kenji grinned at me and sipped the last of his tea. I couldn’t help smiling back. Word choice or not, I was still coming to grips with how deeply the Setous were letting me into their lives.

I could definitely get used to that kind of asylum.

+++
Next Chapter

Next week will be The Final Chapter. And, because my ability to schedule these stories is apparently crap, we’re gonna have some interesting overlap in the first week of October (and the second week for you USM fans.)

Hey, you get a job as a teacher and we’ll see how intact your mental faculties are. Dang kids and their cell phones.

…Where am I?
Last edited by Hoitash on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
Serviam

Post by Serviam »

The end is nigh, the end is nigh.
All things meet their end, and for this I sigh.
Good works come in great doses;
A new chapter opens just as this one closes.

- An Ice Cream Koan describing how I liked this series.
"What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else."
- Tom Clancy summing up l'état in a nutshell

In order of completion: Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi > Shizune
The etymology of this name comes from the Latin: "I will serve," in contrast to Lucifer's Non serviam.
Slava Ukraini!
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Serviam wrote:The end is nigh, the end is nigh.
All things meet their end, and for this I sigh.
Good works come in great doses;
A new chapter opens just as this one closes.

- An Ice Cream Koan describing how I liked this series.
Very nice. I approve :)
SpcPotshot

Post by SpcPotshot »

Hmmm, Lair's Dice....I think I'll dig out my copy of RDR at some point this weekend.
Hoitash

Re: The Manila Tales –A Summer-ish Series Conclusion Update

Post by Hoitash »

“Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.” -David Ogden Stiers

Previous Chapter

Chapter Eighteen: The Orphan’s Tale

Sunday morning was a flurry of activity as everyone packed up and prepared to leave. Kenji and Aunt Hana made a quick breakfast while Uncle Hisao and Miya helped the kids find everything that had spread out over the last week, be it clothes or portable game systems. Akio helped while Satomi tried to keep Hisato and Refia from getting underfoot. I was something of a third wheel, helping as best I could to sort things out and run around playing gofer. This included grabbing and loading a luggage cart.

It also included Refia taking the opportunity to wrap herself around my leg in a hug.

“Yes?” I remarked to the young girl glommed onto me.

“You’ll come with us to Hokkaido next week, right?” she asked.

She was looking up at me with her big brown eyes, looking like an adorable attention challenged puppy. I smiled down at her and pat her head.

“I’m not sure yet, but I’d say probably.”

“Daddy!” Refia called, “Can Hee-neesan come to Hokkaido with us?”

“That’s up to Uncle Kenji and Aunt Miya,” Hisao replied, “and Soon-hee, obviously.”

“Hokkaido!” Hisato cheered.

“We’ll let the grown-ups deal with that, okay?” I said.

Refia nodded and pulled away, freeing me to continue sorting the bags and cases in preparation for our departure.

Uncle Hisao had managed to get another ride from Mr. Sarif. He wouldn’t be there himself, obviously, but he had sent a jet with decent cargo space. Once everything was packed and piled on the cart, Aunt Hana went ahead to get her motorcycle and antique shop purchase crated up for travel.

“Think she’ll be okay?” Miya asked Uncle Hisao after his wife had left.

Uncle Hisao smirked, “If anyone can dodge church traffic, it’s Hana. Satomi, did you check the room to make sure you had everything?”

The adults were conversing in the kitchen while Satomi had wrangled the kids into the dining area. Akio was fussing with something in his room, and I was by the front door sorting luggage.

“Yeah, Dad. I checked everywhere,” Satomi replied, “Even found a half-eaten muffin under Refia’s bed.”

Uncle Hisao sighed, “Refia, why did you leave a half-eaten muffin under your bed?”

“I was hungry,” Refia replied, once again at Satomi’s side.

Uncle Hisao blinked a few times, as if he had to mentally reboot. Refia had that effect on people sometimes.

Rather than remark on the muffin, he asked her if she had checked all the closets.

Refia nodded, “I found a cookie in one of them!”

“I helped make sure she got everything,” Satomi added.

Refia nodded again, “I’m gonna miss these closets. Hee-neesan and I really liked them.”

“They were alright,” I admitted, “I’ve seen better, though.”

“Really?” Refia asked.

“Anyway,” Uncle Hisao said, “Kenji, you two got everything, right?”

Kenji nodded, “Yeah, we’re –Miya, what are you doing?”

Miya, who had one of her camera bags strapped over her shoulder, was pulling out one of her cameras as she replied, “I’m gonna take pictures of everything.”

“Can I have copies?” Refia asked.

“Sure,” Miya stated, “Oh, and we got everything packed up, so we’re good to go.”

Hisao nodded, “Good. Once you’re done and Akio comes back from whatever he’s doing, we can check out and leave.”

“What is he doing?” Kenji asked.

Uncle Hisao shrugged and called, “Akio! Are you packed?”

“Yeah, Dad!” Akio called back.

“Then what’s the hold-up?”

“Sorry! I’m on my way!”

A moment later Akio scampered out of what had been his and Hisato’s room for the week. He skidded to a halt in front of the couch and headed for the luggage cart, dodging past Miya as she took a million photos of the closet Refia and I had spent the first night in.

“Welcome back,” Uncle Hisao quipped.

Akio slowed to walk as he entered the kitchen, and I noticed he was holding something in his hand as he awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck, “Sorry, Dad. I had to work on… a thing, for Refia.”

Uncle Hisao raised an eyebrow, “Refia?”

“I need his help to learn Korean,” Refia stated.

“…Oh, right, I forgot,” Uncle Hisao said, then turned to Kenji to discuss something.

Free from his father’s enquiry, Akio walked over to me. Rather than grab the cart, he stuck out the thing he was holding, which turned out to be some paper.

His eyes firmly on the cart and its impressive load of luggage, he muttered, “Um, Refia was hoping you’d stay in touch and help her learn Korean. She, um, doesn’t have an email address, phone, or Skype yet, obviously, so she asked me if she could use mine, because I use my stuff less than Satomi, and so… I figured you could use mine. Um, I called Skittles –Ruka, sorry; she’s Auntie Emi’s daughter- and she said she’d be willing to send you some free minutes, and um… yeah.”

“Sure,” I said, taking the paper, folding it up, and sticking it in the pocket of my blue jeans, “I kinda wanted to meet Ruka after her mom rambled a bit about her, and I’d be more than happy to help Refia learn Korean.”

Akio smiled and bowed, “Thanks.”

“You done embarrassing yourself, yet?” Satomi called from the dining area.

“Wanna carry some bags?” Akio called back.

“I’m good.”

I smirked and sighed, “Please play nice.”

Akio coughed and got into a pushing position with the cart. I grabbed the other side and waited. It took a few more minutes before Miya was finished with her photography spree. While she went to and fro taking pictures, Uncle Hisao looked around one last time, checking every closet, drawer and cabinet to make sure we had everything.

When Miya was done, she put her camera away and grabbed the door for us. I took one last look at the suite where I had had my first real vacation. I hadn’t been sure how I would have handled it, both being out in the world and being with the people that had essentially adopted me into their family. I had a great time, though, and was grateful for the memories and experiences. Angling the cart into position, I started pulling it out into the hall, toward the elevator.

Once we checked out of the resort, Miya called a couple taxis to take us to the airport. She probably should have done it sooner, but she was busy with the camera. Besides, we weren’t in a real hurry, apparently –the adults were certainly taking their time getting us out. Maybe they were stalling for Aunt Hana.

Once the taxis arrived we split up. Satomi, Refia, and Uncle Hisao shoved as much luggage into a cab with them, while Uncle Kenji and Miya did the same with ours. It took some doing to get the four of us into a cab with the luggage, but fortunately Hisato didn’t take up a lot of room. Once everything and everyone was stowed, the driver headed off into traffic, nearly popping a wheelie as he cut off several other drivers and nearly ran over a bicycle.

I groaned and stuck my head between my knees. It was either that or throw up breakfast, and I had done that enough times on the vacation all ready.

“Soon-hee?” I heard Miya ask, “Is it okay if I rub your back?”

“Yes, please. Thanks,” I grunted.

I felt Miya’s hand on my back and relaxed a bit as she gently rubbed it up and down my spine. It was nice that she could do that without my body tensing up in fear.

“You okay?” she asked.

“’M fine,” I grunted from my knees.

“Good to hear,” Kenji said, “So, you enjoy your vacation?”

I could still speak relatively easily from my position, as long as I kept my responses short.

“Yeah,” I replied, “Thanks.”

“No problem Little Lamb,” Miya said, “Glad you enjoyed it.”

“I did,” I said, “and… I really, really enjoyed having… being with family again.”

I felt Kenji’s hand on my head and smiled as he ruffled my short hair, “It’s what we do, kid.”

I had been handed a lot of bad cards in life, but I had also been handed something not everyone gets: a second chance. Kenji had come into my life because his job had required it, but he stayed because he genuinely cared about me. He and his wife took me in, got me treated for my many problems, got me an education, and treated me like family. So had their friends.

I could never, ever, ever describe to them how much that meant to me, but I didn’t have to. They were just those kind of people, because life had handed them shit to deal with, too. They had come together to help cope with their own issues, and when someone else needed that same help, they didn’t hesitate. They just did what they could.

I eased myself up so I could look at them both, and little Hisato sitting next to me by Kenji.

“Thank you,” I said.

Kenji grinned and pat my head again, “You’re welcome.”

From my other side, Hisato’s voice chirped, “Are we there yet?”

“We get there when we get there,” I replied.

Kenji chuckled, “Good answer.”

I smiled as Hisato pouted. Wherever there was or would be, I’d have the help I needed to get there, and I’d be there to help, too. It wasn’t enough to make up for what they had done for me, but I’d do what I can, because they did what they could, and so, so much more.

They made me family.

+++

THE END

I am such a sappy, cliché romantic.

With a terribly low opinion of the human race. I should write a paper.

Well, there we go. My first Soon-hee perspective story. Definitely different for me, and I hope you all enjoyed it. It was fun for me, so I hope it was fun for you, too.

Now on to the Halloween festivities! Something tells me Soon-hee’s gonna wanna sit this one out. Probably in a closet with Refia and Hanako.

So until tomorrow:

/smokebomb
Serviam

Re: The Manila Tales –A Summer-ish Series Conclusion Update

Post by Serviam »

In hindsight, perhaps the ghosts of the University of Santo Tomas would make for an arc of its own; in WW2, the campus was used by the Empire of Japan as an internment camp. 3000 people, lest memory fails me, died there.
"What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else."
- Tom Clancy summing up l'état in a nutshell

In order of completion: Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi > Shizune
The etymology of this name comes from the Latin: "I will serve," in contrast to Lucifer's Non serviam.
Slava Ukraini!