After the Dream—Rika/Mutou/Akira (Updated 20201109)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Frankyo

Re: After the Dream—Others (Rika/Mutou/Akira Complete)

Post by Frankyo »

Holy eff. You wrote full arcs for Rika, Mutou, and Akira? O gawd I'm so happy that I visited again.
Your "universe" is beautifully crafted, author-san, and I have to say, your non-canon relationships are weaved very well, so that they do not seem awkward or out of place.
Girls: Hanako/Misha > Lilly > Emi > Shizune/Rin
Routes: I realized that every route has its own charms, but felt that Shizune's was lackluster. It has Misha though!

"No masters or kings, when the ritual begins
There is no sweeter innocence than our gentle sin"
brythain

Post by brythain »

Frankyo wrote:Holy eff. You wrote full arcs for Rika, Mutou, and Akira? O gawd I'm so happy that I visited again.
Your "universe" is beautifully crafted, author-san, and I have to say, your non-canon relationships are weaved very well, so that they do not seem awkward or out of place.
Thanks very much! I'm especially happy that the Rika/Mutou/Akira triptych worked out as well as it did, all things considered. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
brythain

Interlude (20140519)

Post by brythain »

It's broad daylight and I've been working for hours when I finally notice the lady sitting quietly on the sofa. The sofa in my office is charcoal-grey, and out of my normal line of sight, which partly but not completely explains why I've not noticed the striking blonde who is clearly not part of my usual clientele.

"Hey, Akira. So sorry, but I didn't notice you were here. You should have coughed or something."

"I did, but you coughed louder, and I figured I should let you finish that email, and then that report, and then that journal article..."

I laugh ruefully.

"Yeah, my life is a little busy at the moment. By the way, happy birthday."

"You remembered, huh? I have no idea how random groups of people can guess a birthday so accurately."

"Is there anything I can do for you, dear lady?"

"Well, just to say in person that I'd rather you held off on putting up the last part of my story. Thanks for waiting so long for my decision."

"Since you're here, would you like to say why? I mean, you don't have to, and I'm really grateful you dropped by..."

"I think it's a rather common kind of sadness. You've already covered the main points of my sad life, and it's nice to let Misha tell her side of it. There's not much else to tell."

"There's one big part which would really surprise my readers, but I can understand why you'd prefer..."

She looks unhappily at me for a moment, but musters some sort of smile.

"That kind of thing, it's happy and also very sad, and I... I suppose I never wanted to think about that bit. Only about four people knew why I spent that year in the Highlands not seeing anyone. Let's leave it there? Okay?"

"Okay. I'm good."

She stands up, as smartly dressed as ever, and puts one warm hand on my left arm.

"Thanks for being a friend. That always helps."

She smells somehow of cinnamon and musk. And also of melancholy.

"Bye, Akira. Go well."

"Heh. Stay well."
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

brythain wrote:"You've already covered the main points of my sad life, and it's nice to let Misha tell her side of it."
What.

(Although, hmm, now that I think about it... it actually does kinda work...)
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
brythain

Post by brythain »

bhtooefr wrote:
brythain wrote:"You've already covered the main points of my sad life, and it's nice to let Misha tell her side of it."
What.

Well, some of it comes out in the last part of Misha's arc
brythain

Interlude (20140530)

Post by brythain »

"Hey there."

I'd just recovered from an attack of the drills, although Misha was actually in her short-cropped phase. And now this.

"Am I that unpleasant? Man, you're some…"

I hold up my hand, and the offensive grinds to a halt outside Moscow.

"Akira, you know you're always welcome here."

"Really? Well, in that case, pour me a tumbler from that lovely bottle over there. It looks kinda familiar, actually."

"Neat?"

"Of course. Well, maybe a dash of water."

I pour and serve. It's becoming a habit.

"Y'know, it's actually fun to be watching Shortie grow up all over again. Cheers!"
Serviam

Post by Serviam »

brythain wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:
What.

Well, some of it comes out in the last part of Misha's arc
"Crab in her liver?" Nasty way to die.
"What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else."
- Tom Clancy summing up l'état in a nutshell

In order of completion: Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi > Shizune
The etymology of this name comes from the Latin: "I will serve," in contrast to Lucifer's Non serviam.
Slava Ukraini!
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Serviam wrote:
brythain wrote:Well, some of it comes out in the last part of Misha's arc
Huh...I read right past that without even thinking about whether the Japanese word for cancer had the same etymology. Of course, it could just be Misha showing off her skill with English idioms :) .
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
brythain

Post by brythain »

dewelar wrote:
Serviam wrote:
brythain wrote:Well, some of it comes out in the last part of Misha's arc
Huh...I read right past that without even thinking about whether the Japanese word for cancer had the same etymology. Of course, it could just be Misha showing off her skill with English idioms :) .
The Japanese love adopting terms like that. That's why they call cancer 'cancer' in the first place. Think of terms like 'salaryman'. :)
brythain

Interlude (20140801)

Post by brythain »

"August is a sentimental month, author-san."

I look up from the term revision paper I'm setting. Organic chemistry, this term. A tedious subject for some, but it can be made interesting.

The ill-shaven gentleman sitting on my desk seems to agree. As I collect myself, I reflect that he, of all people, should.

"Mutou-san! To what do I owe this honour, colleague?"

"Ah, sentimentality, of course. August has many sad anniversaries in it. I have been content to let you handle those. But it strikes me now, as I reflect on matters beyond us, that perhaps we have given Nomiya-san, that rude fellow, too little face."

It's just like my colleague to be both scathing and kind at the same time. I smile.

"April has even greater burdens," I reply.

"True, but now, in your personal timeline, it is August. And within a week, the memories of the Sendai Tanabata Festival will come running."

"True, true." I pause, frowning. "But what's this about Nomiya?"

"No, I am certainly not recommending that we tell -his- story. But perhaps, if I may make a suggestion… ?"

"Go ahead, most respected colleague."

"Heh. The teachers at Yamaku, they collectively deserve perhaps both the good and bad responsibility for how our students turned out. You have told my story as if I were the only one who made a difference!"

"No, no, that is not totally true. I have mentioned others."

"You have not told Miyagi-san's story. Rei was once a student at Yamaku, you know."

"She was?"

"Yes. I'll ask her if she is willing to let you into her life a bit."

And on that cryptic and completely unexpected note, he fades and vanishes. The scent of good whisky goes with him.
bhtooefr

Re: After the Dream—Rika/Mutou/Akira Triptych (Complete)

Post by bhtooefr »

You know, this is starting to remind me of the K-12 school I went to from third grade until graduation, and started working at my senior year. (It was a private school that contracted to most of the local school districts to teach students with mental health issues, behavioral handicaps, and learning disabilities.)

The joke was that everyone who worked there was either a student there in the past, or should have been.
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
brythain

Post by brythain »

bhtooefr wrote:You know, this is starting to remind me of the K-12 school I went to from third grade until graduation, and started working at my senior year. (It was a private school that contracted to most of the local school districts to teach students with mental health issues, behavioral handicaps, and learning disabilities.)

The joke was that everyone who worked there was either a student there in the past, or should have been.
*grin* we must've had similar experiences...
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

There was the one year where the school's slogan was, "Special People Helping Special Kids Overcome Their Obstacles to Success".

Yeah, when I got a hold of one of the brochures with that slogan on it, and brought it to journalism class, the entire class rofl'd... and then we proceeded to write a scathing editorial about it (this would've been 2003 or so - so "special" was very VERY well cemented as a euphemism for "retarded"... and most of the staff hated it too). I think that slogan lasted like 2 weeks. :twisted:
brythain

Post by brythain »

bhtooefr wrote:There was the one year where the school's slogan was, "Special People Helping Special Kids Overcome Their Obstacles to Success".

Yeah, when I got a hold of one of the brochures with that slogan on it, and brought it to journalism class, the entire class rofl'd... and then we proceeded to write a scathing editorial about it (this would've been 2003 or so - so "special" was very VERY well cemented as a euphemism for "retarded"... and most of the staff hated it too). I think that slogan lasted like 2 weeks. :twisted:
Dear, dear, dear… :D I had a school which promised to be 'A World-Class Institution in Developing the Potential of our Students' or something like that, and I thought that was a bit much. Hated being so obviously 'institutionalised'.
YutoTheOrc

Post by YutoTheOrc »

Akira!!! How I wish I could have shared a nice glass of whisky with you, mayhap in the life after death. Once again excellent arc, you portrayed her quite well. I particularly enjoyed the fact that she liked Mutou in a woman-to-man kind of way;very nice touch. Puppeteer, I'm going to refill my glass and then I shall visit your humble library once again. :D