After the Dream—Lilly's Arc/'Testament' (Complete)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

brythain

Re: After the Dream—Lilly's Arc (Complete)

Post by brythain »

Guest Poster wrote:My mind is currently running through some of the backstory and material that I wasn't able to include in the fic and it is currently snickering at your comment. :lol:
" … I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker / And in short, I was afraid." :)

I can only hope that Ms Satou took this in the right spirit… she seemed a little less distraught when she left me. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

That was painful to read. Very, very painful. It reminded me of too many lives lost, too many people gone without a proper send-off. A friend, dead at 16 from a random seizure. A good man, gone at 42 of throat cancer. A grandfather, his unseen battle lost before anybody knew it was happening.

I'm scared of the future. I'm scared of ending up like Emi, or Hisao. Losing someone who means the world to me, or leaving behind the same.

Thank you for writing this.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
brythain

Post by brythain »

azumeow wrote:That was painful to read. Very, very painful. It reminded me of too many lives lost, too many people gone without a proper send-off. A friend, dead at 16 from a random seizure. A good man, gone at 42 of throat cancer. A grandfather, his unseen battle lost before anybody knew it was happening.

I'm scared of the future. I'm scared of ending up like Emi, or Hisao. Losing someone who means the world to me, or leaving behind the same.

Glad you got something out of it, and you're very welcome! Errm, not everyone in this whole big story has a happy ending...
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

brythain wrote:
azumeow wrote:That was painful to read. Very, very painful. It reminded me of too many lives lost, too many people gone without a proper send-off. A friend, dead at 16 from a random seizure. A good man, gone at 42 of throat cancer. A grandfather, his unseen battle lost before anybody knew it was happening.

Glad you got something out of it, and you're very welcome! Errm, not everyone in this whole big story has a happy ending...
It seems more like nobody has a happy ending, actually....
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"
brythain

Post by brythain »

azumeow wrote:
brythain wrote:Glad you got something out of it, and you're very welcome! Errm, not everyone in this whole big story has a happy ending...
It seems more like nobody has a happy ending, actually....
Some people do! :)
Serviam

Post by Serviam »

It's always the bittersweet endings that really take it out on you, as if the feels from them resonate...

...and the harmonic effects become terrifying to behold.
"What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else."
- Tom Clancy summing up l'état in a nutshell

In order of completion: Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi > Shizune
The etymology of this name comes from the Latin: "I will serve," in contrast to Lucifer's Non serviam.
Slava Ukraini!
brythain

Post by brythain »

Serviam wrote:It's always the bittersweet endings that really take it out on you, as if the feels from them resonate...

...and the harmonic effects become terrifying to behold.
Sounds about right! :)
YutoTheOrc

Post by YutoTheOrc »

Ah, the sadness returns to me once again. Yet, there is a happiness in the end, no? Once again, I can not fault your wonderful story, for it was truly wonderful. I look forward to reading the rest. Also, I couldn't find Without Guile on youtube for some odd reason. :/
brythain

Post by brythain »

YutoTheOrc wrote:Ah, the sadness returns to me once again. Yet, there is a happiness in the end, no? Once again, I can not fault your wonderful story, for it was truly wonderful. I look forward to reading the rest. Also, I couldn't find Without Guile on youtube for some odd reason. :/
Thanks very much! I'm not sure where to find it; I think it comes from the 'recorded on cassette tape' era. :(
brythain

Interlude (20140918)

Post by brythain »

"I've always thought of myself as half-Scottish, not half-British," she says.

"I've always thought of you as half-beautiful, and the other half is just gorgeous."

She giggles charmingly from somewhere near the door. Today, her hair is in a loose braid of sorts, and her blue eyes are accentuated by the dark maroon silk blouse she's wearing.

"That is much appreciated. I like the way these clothes feel."

"Lilly-san, what are you doing in… a riding outfit?"

"Akira got me a seeing-eye horse."

"You're joking."

"Yes, I'm afraid I am. But I have indeed taken up riding. Warlock is a good steed, very considerate and responsive."

"If I might ask…"

She smiles. "Of course you may. I shall save you the trouble, though. What do you think about the referendum in Scotland? Is it not something you are interested in as well?"

Ah. It's certainly an interesting topic to someone who shares a few things in common with the blonde 'amazon' who is elegantly leaning against his doorframe.

"I hope they stay British, if only to keep the shopkeepers honest. Hard to think of a United Kingdom when one half of the union is gone."

Her smile turns wicked. "Aha. Well, dear author, that's a vote for my position, and not Akira's. Do you think she'll be upset with you?"

Oh dear. Hmph. But before I can reply, there is faint laughter, like the sweetness of spring's first flowering, and she is gone.

I say to the empty air, "Watch this space."
Serviam

Post by Serviam »

One half? Aren't there four parts to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or is there something I'm missing here?
"What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else."

The etymology of this name comes from the Latin: "I will serve," in contrast to Lucifer's Non serviam.
Slava Ukraini!
brythain

Post by brythain »

Serviam wrote:One half? Aren't there four parts to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or is there something I'm missing here?
The Act of Union, technically, occurred because James VI of Scotland was also Elizabeth I's chosen successor to the throne of England. So the four major parts are the Kingdoms of Scotland and England, the Principality of Wales, and Northern Ireland. I'd guess the largest minority in Northern Ireland is Ulster Scots. Physically, Scotland occupies the largest non-England portion of the island of Great Britain, about 1/3 of the land area.
Serviam

Post by Serviam »

Looks like Lils got her wish: Scotland voted to stay British exactly a week ago.

Slava Ukraini!
brythain

Post by brythain »

Serviam wrote:Looks like Lils got her wish: Scotland voted to stay British exactly a week ago.
*grin* did you see my Scotland referendum report in this post?
Serviam

Post by Serviam »

brythain wrote:
Serviam wrote:Looks like Lils got her wish: Scotland voted to stay British exactly a week ago.
*grin* did you see my Scotland referendum report in this post?
I just did. That was kinda close, too.

Slava Ukraini!