After The Dream—MAIN INDEX (and secret Hisao arc)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

brythain

Curator's Update (20140603) Hideaki's Arc (Complete)

Post by brythain »

Hideaki Hakamichi's arc is finally complete. You'll note that it is far longer than his sister's arc, but I have to put it down to their very different personalities and forms of expression. With this arc, the secondary layer of the 'After the Dream' mosaic (or whatever you want to call the beast) is complete.

Hideaki's arc comprises the following sections:

Hideaki 1 — Origin
Hideaki 2 — Shadow
Hideaki 3 — Confusion
Hideaki 4 — Awareness
Hideaki 5 — Learning
Hideaki 6 — Heroism
Hideaki 7 — Apotheosis

I again would like to express my appreciation to my very rigorous and talented kibitzers.
They keep catching my mistakes, and are so polite about them too!
Thanks to this community for being such a great environment for writing. :)

Bleary with fatigue, I look up at the vaguely familiar swishing sound. Swish. Swish. Coil-uncoil.

Ah. As my eyes accommodate in the darkness, I see the long silver braid of my (in)famous interlocutrix flashing. I have a bone to pick with her.

"Katayama-san!"

"You can use 'Rika', author-san. Why that tone of voice?"

"Your editorial note ended with a rather tantalising line. 'Inner Sol System' indeed."

She smiles politely, but also gleefully, I think.

"Completely true, and you know it. I never lie, author-san. Although I occasionally might misdirect."

"Are there any more secrets I might be allowed to reveal?"

"Ah-ha. Not mine, I think. Who knows?"

She gives a rare chuckle, and slips away into the shadows.
Last edited by brythain on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
brythain

Hisao1: A Walk In The Park

Post by brythain »

This is the first Hisao vignette, from a few months before his graduation from Yamaku.
It takes place in my post-Lilly-neutral-end mosaic, 'After the Dream'.

Completed major arcs:
Shizune | Lilly | Emi | Hanako | Rin | Misha — Main Index

Completed minor arcs:
Miki | Rika | Mutou | Akira | Hideaki

The Main Index contains the different parts in chronological order, along with other fragments.

Hisao 1: A Walk In The Park (T -16)

It’s been a few months now. I think I’m getting used to the idea that she’s probably gone for good. Used to the idea, that is, but not the fact. I’ve never been so close to someone, and it seems I’ve never been so far away either.

The guys have been kind, in the bro way—they give me space, and also try to be funny. My classmate Akio even taps me on the shoulder and says, “Welcome to the Satou Heartbreak Club, man. You can be President if you like.” Haruhiko grins and stage-whispers, “Go for a double, try the Ibarazaki Sidetrack Club.”

That line earns him sniggers all round, but also a glare from Miki. The girls, well, they’ve been more than kind. I don’t know. Maybe they’re appalled at how badly everything turned out. Girls are more sensitive that way, I guess. For some reason, their efforts at helping seem more… coordinated(?) than what the guys are doing.

I don’t really mind. I have some sort of life. Wake up early, avoid Kenji, go for a run with Emi, warm down, see Nurse, go to class, have lunch with whichever girl has decided to pity me, go to class, go to the library, have a meal or two somewhere, go back to my room and study, lights out. Wonderful. Better than being dead, surely.

Some days are a little different, things happen, and for a while I think maybe I have a destiny, that what’s happening is important for some reason. Then it goes away. I try to grab these wisps of destiny, but I catch nothing. One day I even get desperate enough to write to Iwanako. No reply.

Today’s a ‘different’ day. I’m heading early towards the track as usual, where Emi will try to raise my fitness levels while cheering me up. I try to help her, because it’s a little heartbreaking to be so sad when someone else is trying so hard to make you happy.

When I get there, it’s a ‘hey…’ moment for me. Emi’s already there, which is what I expect. What I don’t expect is that her friend Rin Tezuka is also here, and both of them are looking… guilty? … uneasy? It’s hard to tell with Rin, but Emi’s certainly a bit off this morning. I don’t know, with girls and their complicated emotions. It’s something I might explore if I have a future to explore that with.

I feel a momentary pang as I think of my bonny Scottish lass (or whatever she’d call herself) and my heart rate goes up a little steeply. I hold my breath a bit and walk over to the two girls, calming down somewhat.

“Hi, Emi! Hello, Tezuka!”

“Hey, Hisao,” Emi replies. She’s looking away from me, as she normally does when she doesn’t quite want to say something. “Rin’s back for the day to pick up some stuff for her work in Tokyo.”

“Hell-o. Need to walk. Need to talk. Emi doesn’t want to come. She says you will.”

Wha-at? I don’t know Rin Tezuka that well, although I can imagine another world in which I’d spent more time loafing around the Art Room (no, actually, I can’t).

“Uh, okay… ? Emi, do you want to run a bit first?”

“Nah, it’s all right. You need a change of pace. It’s not only running that can make you healthier, y’know. Rin wants you up that hill.”

She grins evilly, but I sense a trace of some other strong emotion behind it. Maybe I am getting better at this. Continued exposure does have its effects.

“I don’t want him up that hill. I want us to walk there, and we can’t walk together if he’s up the hill while I’m still here.”

“Right! Well, you kids enjoy yourselves, and I’ll do my run, and if you’re really quick, I’ll still be here. Actually, you probably won’t make it. See you at lunch? Usual place? I’ll bring food!”

I wonder what she’s hiding. But Rin’s already started the long walk back up towards the school and to the park behind.

It’s a perspective I’ve never had before. Rin has a strangely majestic posture. It’s as if she’s wearing a corset. Her glutes (a term I picked up from Emi) are tight and firm, beneath the brown trousers she’s wearing. Those brushes must be a darned sight heavier than they look.

Without turning round, she says, “It’s okay to look. You can tell me about it.”

“About what?” I say a little too rapidly, feeling silly.

“About my behind. I can’t see it because my eyes are in front. Mirrors don’t help me sketch my spine well. I can only see up my ass with those.”

My vision blurs and for a moment I think I am having another attack. But it’s only confusion, and something that’s not lust, but… animal craziness? The thought of looking up… Argh. We’ll be climbing the hill.

“Errm. Okay. You have a very straight spine. And symmetrical muscles. Emi would say you have tight buns.”

I mentally facepalm. Didn’t mean to say that at all.

“Hmm. When you say that I see raisin buns. Many of them six-packed and squeezed together crying out for air. Sometimes they have crosses on them. And lemon peel.”

I’m losing it. If Rin were my girlfriend, I’d never understand a thing.

“I need to talk. But you can listen. You can say things too.”

“Okay, Tezuka.”

I’ve really not had much contact with her, so I’m not sure what the correct form of address would be. Then again, if I’d met Lilly for the first time, I’d go for Satou-san. My heart twinges again.

“Call me Rin. It’s easy. Besides, family gets in the way of thinking.”

“Right, Rin.”

“No, we go left here.”

“Ah.”

She leads me behind the dormitories to the small black wrought-iron gate at the back of the school, pausing momentarily to grab its latch with her right foot and tease it open. Although the gate looks unused, she opens it with suspicious ease.

“Close it behind you. You can look at it if you like, but I prefer not to look backwards when walking forwards. Sometimes people leave it open. I don’t like that. Gates are meant to be closed.”

I follow her through and close the gate. Idly, I ask, “How about doors?”

“Doors are different. Meant to be opened.”

“But they’re the same kind of thing!”

“That’s like saying painting and drawing are the same kind of thing.”

I’m about to reply that they are, but realize that it might not be a wise thing to do if we’re going to get back in time for lunch. It’s also pretty cold in January, and this early in the morning, there’s frost on the ground. Rin doesn’t look like she’s feeling cold, but I’ll probably have to share my tracksuit jacket with her later if we’re up here too long.

The path we’re on leads deep into the forest. The trees have shed their leaves, and that allows some light in, but not that much, because they’re thickly clustered. I try to get some Biology revision in as Rin trudges on like a sleepwalker.

Japanese maple (Acer japonicum), zelkova (a kind of elm, Zelkova serratum). The tall trees hem us in, like some sort of animal run. Their trunks are brown and grey, showing startling beige and orange patches where bark has fallen off.

“If you’re not you, does it mean you’ve died?”

A classic Rin-type question, fired like a cannon over your battleship. You can let the ball splash where it falls, but sometimes it hits you in the middle and sinks you. I’m not sure about this one, and I take a bit of time to think it over.

“I suppose part of you goes away. The rest of you is still you, I think. Nobody can change completely just like that.”

I’m proud of my answer. But there’s no response for a while.

“I think my painting is inside me. When I put it outside me, it’s no longer me. What happens when it runs out?”

Mutou-sensei once said something like that. I suspect he was referring to Nomiya-sensei, although Mutou is always professional and disguises such allusions well. Here, I think Rin may be asking me for advice about her exhibition in Tokyo. Or maybe just being Rin.

“Well, people still remember the old Rin. Perhaps they’ll put you back together,” I reply, trying to lighten the mood.

However, this is Rin. She suddenly stops, at the edge of a glade, and turns round.

“I was going to the Worry Tree. But I think today we’ll go to the Sadness Tree.”

Worry Tree? Sadness Tree? I’m not sure what the Linnaean classification would be for those. Ah well, Biology isn’t quite my cup of tea. Tea. Blonde hair and blue eyes and… yeah, let’s go for the Sadness Tree.

“Hisao, will you put me back together if I lose me?”

Her eyes are huge in the gloom. Her breath puffs out in small visible gusts, curling away in the cold winter air. A faint gleam of sunlight shows me that her hair is really red-brown; where it is darker, it’s maybe purple-brown, and where the light hits it directly, it’s a warmer shade, like old copper foil.

Can I be honest with her? I don’t know her all that well.

“I can’t promise you that, Rin. I’m still trying to put myself together. If I could, I’d help you. But I can’t. I don’t know you well enough.”

“Okay.”

She turns back, and we walk in silence past a field of dandelion plants (Taraxacum albidum), sad and sere. Nobody’s been here in ages, I think. Then I realize that there are some footprints. Moderately large ones, evenly spaced at the edge of the path, like those left by someone systematic and careful.

I’m beginning to feel a little fatigued. Rin’s got a lot more stamina than it looks, and beyond the field, we’re following the path as it turns up into higher hills on the flank of Mount Aoba.

“What exactly is a Worry Tree?”

“There are people who think that if you are very miserable, you should go to a particular tree to wallow in your misery. Except that I mean Rin when I say people, because I think Rin is people.”

“Ah. So you come to the Worry Tree and talk to it until your misery goes away?”

She stops again, and turns around to look at me with intense curiosity.

“What? No. You can’t talk to trees. What do you think I am, crazy?”

“No… I didn't mean it like that.”

“Or maybe you talk to trees? I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to say that you were crazy. Even though you probably are if you talk to trees. People will think you are a weird person. Especially if trees talk back to you.”

“No, I… just forget it.”

Maybe I am going crazy. She herself looks mildly confused, for which I can’t blame her at all. She tilts her head a little to the side, like a mountain crane. As she focuses on my face, her features slowly return to normality.

“Sure. I’m good at forgetting things.”

She turns back and we continue walking. Now the path is steeper, and I don’t even know where on the mountain we are. I have this morbid vision of our two skeletons being discovered on the mountainside many years from now. They’ll probably conclude I ate her arms (and arm-bones) to stay alive when we were trapped by snow or something.

“Here. Sadness Tree.”

She’s come to a stop once more. Under the dim canopy, I can hardly see over her shoulder. We’re facing parallel to a steep side of the mountain, I think. The sun is on my left, so that must be east. It casts some light into a well-drained dell, formed by trees and rocks.

And at the end of the dell is a single very large tree, with… a tiny grave-marker?

I help her up a last incline and into the dell.

“Whose is that?”

“I don’t know. Someone else was sad here.”

In the shifting light, I try to make out the words carved into the stone. It’s surprisingly well-maintained, and not that old. My eyes get used to the shadows and I read: [ Haruki, son of Michiko and Akio | 2005 | Spring is the End of Winter ].

How strange, I think to myself. An illegitimate child? A student pregnancy?

“It’s been here as long as I have, almost. Or at least, it was already here when I first came here. If that was me. But that me was different from this me.”

Rin folds her legs gracefully and kneels, then sinks back onto her ankles and unfolds her legs out in front of her. She’s now leaning back against a rock.

“Somebody remembered somebody, so they weren’t really lost.”

She looks almost longingly at me, as if trying to say something that she can’t express. I think I understand, and I wish I really did. Who knows, with Rin?

I lost track of Rin after that January. But I always wondered who would remember her. One day, I did indeed find answers, but those are for another story, and another time.

=====
main index | rin's arc | next
Last edited by brythain on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Serviam

Re: After the Dream—Main Index (Hisao upd 20140603)

Post by Serviam »

The grave Mutou remembers... Might he and Hisao have spoken of it at one time later in life?
"What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else."
- Tom Clancy summing up l'état in a nutshell

In order of completion: Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi > Shizune
The etymology of this name comes from the Latin: "I will serve," in contrast to Lucifer's Non serviam.
Slava Ukraini!
brythain

Post by brythain »

Serviam wrote:The grave Mutou remembers... Might he and Hisao have spoken of it at one time later in life?
Even Akira, Hideaki and Rika didn't know about this until very late; I suspect only Shizune was told.
griffon8

Re: AtD—Hisao Vignette (20140603)

Post by griffon8 »

brythain wrote:She turns back, and we walk in silence past a field of dandelions.
If it's January, would Hisao know that it's a field of dandelions?
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
brythain

Re: AtD—Hisao Vignette (20140603)

Post by brythain »

griffon8 wrote:
brythain wrote:She turns back, and we walk in silence past a field of dandelions.
If it's January, would Hisao know that it's a field of dandelions?
Yes, because the dandelion leaves survive above ground through winter in that part of the world, and they have a distinctive 'barbed-lance' look. But I should probably clarify that… we tend to think of the puffy seed rosettes, but they're also leaves used in salads.

Edit: minor text changes, because of this well-noted point by griffon8.
Last edited by brythain on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Fair enough. I figured there was some explanation other than Hisao had been to the field before. He only goes there during Rin's route after all. And in July/August.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
nemz

Re: After the Dream—Main Index (upd 20140610)

Post by nemz »

Read some of this... 'mosaic'? It's an interesting idea structure-wise, but the plot itself is a total letdown. Sorry, but this is soap-opera levels of melodrama and I just can't get into it.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
brythain

Post by brythain »

nemz wrote:Read some of this... 'mosaic'? It's an interesting idea structure-wise, but the plot itself is a total letdown. Sorry, but this is soap-opera levels of melodrama and I just can't get into it.
What?! You don't like melodrama with your KS fanfic?? :D
nemz

Post by nemz »

There's a reason Lilly is last in my preference list. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The biggest thing that just kills it for me is that pretty much nobody every moves on. It's quite rare for someone to end up marrying a high school sweetheart, but for all the rest of the girls to also just wither away in loneliness, never meeting anyone else is just plain ridiculous. Even for all of them to stay loosely in touch is a stretch.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
brythain

Post by brythain »

nemz wrote:There's a reason Lilly is last in my preference list. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The biggest thing that just kills it for me is that pretty much nobody ever moves on. It's quite rare for someone to end up marrying a high school sweetheart, but for all the rest of the girls to also just wither away in loneliness, never meeting anyone else is just plain ridiculous. Even for all of them to stay loosely in touch is a stretch.
Well, I'd say Lilly's the one who moves on the least. There's a reason for that though; some school environments are tight-knit enough that people will stay in touch. Especially if that school environment is pre-selected in the first place. And no, they don't 'just wither away in loneliness', and nobody ends up marrying their high school sweetheart except... ah, well. :D
brythain

Interlude (20140611)

Post by brythain »

I find myself without warning in someone else's head. Other characters, I've known them enough to guess at their identities within seconds. This one is different. It takes me a long time, and when I recognise who it is, my lips curl in a feral grin, almost in empathy. It's about time.

=====

Dark city, dark friend, my heart is full of the romance of the air and the scent of the hunt. Too long have I waited for this, the metal fragrance of the chain-link fence, the lonely smell of moss-damp and crumbling concrete.

I board the train two hundred lonely metres from the portal to my house of secrets. I have tracked it all, I have measured my life out with coffee spoons and the regular pacing of my heartbeat, the wearing-out of my soles. On the ride home, nobody sees me, and I of course see nobody.

I exit from light to light, through sweat and musk and the other odours of humanity. In this way do I pass from the world of the shadows to the world of honest night. Slowly, with every step, I shed my guise, toss the detritus of working grime and political ordure into the waste heaps of history.

“Colonel’s home,” I hear as I step into our house, our little space of civilization, where calm radiance holds back the weight of the darkness. The little ones greet me.

“Sorry, late, dear ones,” I murmur, turning my affection upon them, one by one..

Into a careful corner I place my very dangerous briefcase, and into the opposite corner I place my somewhat less dangerous overclothes. It is a cold, polluted evening, and nobody can be too safe outside.

These are my worlds. We don’t carry stars on our epaulettes. We carry cherry blossoms in our hearts; they flower and die, fragile in times of peace, doomed in times of war. When did I grow so old?
inthewind

Re: After the Dream—Main Index (upd 20140611)

Post by inthewind »

Okay, surreptitiously working J. Alfred Prufrock into this narrative is practically cheating.
brythain

Post by brythain »

inthewind wrote:Okay, surreptitiously working J. Alfred Prufrock into this narrative is practically cheating.
His initials are J.A.P., by the way…
And this isn't the first time… he's in Mutou's arc too! :D
Last edited by brythain on Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
inthewind

Post by inthewind »

Haha, in that one where the women come and go, it was more subtle and I accepted the allusion easier. Figures.