After The Dream—MAIN INDEX ('Nightfall' up 20180621)

WORDS WORDS WORDS
brythain

Curator's Update (20170123) Arc Lighting

Post by brythain » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:53 am

My editorial board, which I'm sure many of you have already met, has persuaded me to release a summary of the current state of progress.
It's also a crib-sheet of sorts for some people who've PM'd me to say that they're a bit lost. :)

As of our current timeline's date, here are the ongoing threads:

Akira Nakai's story is at end-2040 with 'Fathers'.
Rika Katayama's story received a one-shot set in 2042, 'Stirrings'.
'A Left Eye of Darkness' has reached 2043 with 'The Girl From The Village'.
'Mistaking Identify' has jumped temporarily into 2044 with 'Endgame'.
'Straw—A Dream of Suzu' has reached 2048 with 'Interregnum'.
'Sakura—The Kenji Saga' has reached 2048 and then 2052 as Book Six 'Silent War' continues.

Work that's complete, not quite in progress, progressing separately, or on hiatus—in alphabetical order:

Akio Mutou's story is complete for now, with 'Pavane' being the last major addition.
Akira Satou's story is complete for now.
'Crane—A Dream of Molly' has ended its establishing arc, with Molly graduating from Yamaku in 'Cracking' (2008). There's a lot left to do.
Emi's story is complete for now, with Akiko's secondary arc also complete.
Hanako's story is complete for now, but there is a secondary arc that hasn't appeared yet.
Hisao's 'secret arc' is complete.
Lilly's story is complete for now, both the initial arc and her testament.
Natsume's story is complete for now, but it has to dovetail with 'A Left Eye of Darkness'.
Rin's story is complete for now, with Miki's secondary arc also complete.
Shizune's story is complete for now, as are Hideaki's and Misha's.
Last edited by brythain on Mon May 28, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

Kibaro

Re: After The Dream—MAIN INDEX (Molly2 begins 20170224)

Post by Kibaro » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Sorry if I don't "sound" coherent, it's late here and i'm tired but here goes:

I've read the index and the first story in chronological order(hideaki 1: origin) and i liked what i read so i want to continue...but when i clicked on next in the hideaki 1 post, i'm pretty sure it threw me over a lot of other chapters so yeah...i'm soooo confused as to how i should go about it...

there are SO many branches to this whole "DLC" world that brythain made that i'm not sure i understood the "right"/intended order of the chapters

he tried to explain what should be read after which arc but it just made me even more confused...if i want to read the WHOLE thing, start to finish, without skipping or misplacing the order of the chapters...what would that order be? would someone be kind enough to explain/help me with the correct order

thank you and sorry if it's something really obvious that i just blatantly missed :)

brythain

Post by brythain » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:16 pm

Kibaro wrote:Sorry if I don't "sound" coherent, it's late here and i'm tired but here goes:

I've read the index and the first story in chronological order(hideaki 1: origin) and i liked what i read so i want to continue...but when i clicked on next in the hideaki 1 post, i'm pretty sure it threw me over a lot of other chapters so yeah...i'm soooo confused as to how i should go about it...

there are SO many branches to this whole "DLC" world that brythain made that i'm not sure i understood the "right"/intended order of the chapters

he tried to explain what should be read after which arc but it just made me even more confused...if i want to read the WHOLE thing, start to finish, without skipping or misplacing the order of the chapters...what would that order be? would someone be kind enough to explain/help me with the correct order

thank you and sorry if it's something really obvious that i just blatantly missed :)
Hi there! Thanks for reading. I'm sorry for being such a confusion-inducing writer. :)

Each person has a story and they intertwine (so you can read Hideaki's story, then read Misha's story, and so on, but they're running on parallel tracks). If you look at the first post, there's a suggested reading order for the main chapters that rotates through all the characters, but you'll have to bookmark the first post so you can follow that—and don't hit 'next' at the end of a chapter, because that will bring you to the next chapter for that character only.

So, here are your choices:

1) You can read each person's arc by going to the first chapter in that character's arc and then using the 'next' link until you get to the end. Each arc is 6-7 chapters long and tells only that person's part of the whole story.

2) You can read according to the chronological sequence in the first post. But that would mean returning to that page after every chapter, or opening a window with that page and using it as an index.

3) You can try to follow the timeline. This is complicated. It's like following option 2 above, except that the chapters not in the index can also be followed that way (for example, Kenji's saga). Some chapters are marked with links or dates (e.g. 'March 2024'). Some chapters are marked with a cryptic 'T-4' or 'T+12' or something like that. T represents the year 2024 (for reasons you'll figure out) and T-4 is 2020, whereas T+12 is 2036.

The reason I wrote it like this is that each arc you read gives you a better insight as to the relationships between characters. It's like a mystery that unwraps itself. In theory, you could read Shizune's arc, then Lilly's, Emi's, Hanako's, Rin's and Misha's (the order in which I wrote the main arcs), and you'd get the gist. If you wanted more, you might entertain yourself with the Akira/Mutou/Rika thread, or look for the secret Hisao arc. Or read Kenji's saga, which is his view of all the events. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

Kibaro

Post by Kibaro » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:51 pm

brythain wrote:Explanation
Thank you, this cleared up quite a lot of my confusion, I'll make sure to get to reading your creation as soon as I finish with my exams. Have a nice day and keep up the good work if you're still doing fics :)

brythain

Still doing!

Post by brythain » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:49 am

Kibaro wrote:Have a nice day and keep up the good work if you're still doing fics :)
Quite a while has passed. Natsume glares at me.

"You need to work on true stories, not fake ones."

I think I should take that advice.

brythain

Latest (20180528)

Post by brythain » Mon May 28, 2018 1:27 am

The latest interview in A Left Eye of Darkness, 'The Girl from the Convent', is here. It gives a little background into that enigmatic character, Kenji's successor Chiaki Hasegawa.

Chapter 6c of Straw: A Dream of Suzu is here. In this one, Suzu's naturally poetic tendencies force her narrative into blank verse.

Chapter 6-4 of Sakura: The Kenji Saga is here. Kenji makes a critical decision, and the end of Book Six comes into view.