I want to make a Psuedo-Route

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Guest Poster

Re: I want to make a Psuedo-Route

Post by Guest Poster »

Or maybe he's gone and done what I did, and decided not to post as I write. I hate retconning stuff after people have already seen it.
Same here, but it doesn't seem to be a very common trait and not one I'd associate with someone who posts an intention to write a fic before actually writing one. But that's just cynical ol' me talking.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Guest Poster wrote:
Or maybe he's gone and done what I did, and decided not to post as I write. I hate retconning stuff after people have already seen it.
Same here, but it doesn't seem to be a very common trait and not one I'd associate with someone who posts an intention to write a fic before actually writing one. But that's just cynical ol' me talking.
There's a part of me that wishes I had been a little less excited about posting new chapters. Then again, for a long while I was working several chapters ahead of my releases - I think I was writing chapter 25 when I released chapter 20.

I do all my polishing before release now. Rare are the occasions when someone catches a misstyped word (I send every chapter to Hoitash to get a second opinion before release), or something to that effect, and I haven't felt the need to 'retcon' anything. Aside from some cultural things, my underlying story hasn't been altered by reader commentary, and I like to think I've improved as a writer through the assimilation of criticism and grammatical corrections.

Had I waited to finish huge chunks of the story, or the whole story before release, I'm not sure I would have kept writing. Getting segmented feedback is a huge morale boost, even when it's just "I love this, keep writing" or something else that's essentially inane. Although I think at this point there isn't another story that has been in production for nearly as long, so I might have a skewed perspective on things like commentary and other such things.
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Flarezium wrote:Also remember that the Suzu Route started off as a one-shot. You can always just start a short story to get some experience, and then continue it later if you want to.
Not so much a pesudo-route per se, but my Emi/Hanako story was originally a oneshot. Nek minnit, 40k words over 7 chapters. It is a legitimate (albeit easier to seem contrived!) way of going about a longer piece of writing.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Helbereth wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:
There's a part of me that wishes I had been a little less excited about posting new chapters. Then again, for a long while I was working several chapters ahead of my releases - I think I was writing chapter 25 when I released chapter 20.

I do all my polishing before release now. Rare are the occasions when someone catches a misstyped word (I send every chapter to Hoitash to get a second opinion before release), or something to that effect, and I haven't felt the need to 'retcon' anything. Aside from some cultural things, my underlying story hasn't been altered by reader commentary, and I like to think I've improved as a writer through the assimilation of criticism and grammatical corrections.

Had I waited to finish huge chunks of the story, or the whole story before release, I'm not sure I would have kept writing. Getting segmented feedback is a huge morale boost, even when it's just "I love this, keep writing" or something else that's essentially inane. Although I think at this point there isn't another story that has been in production for nearly as long, so I might have a skewed perspective on things like commentary and other such things.
This might make for an interesting discussion, though it's probably better given its own thread.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Guest Poster wrote:This might make for an interesting discussion, though it's probably better given its own thread.
Possibly the one up there on tips for aspiring fan-fiction authors...
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I actually posted it here since I'm not sure there's an ideal approach. It probably differs from person to person.