Yamaku Book Club (20220124 Dish Washing)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Razoredge

Re: Yamaku Book Club (20210628 Hisao & Akira Avoid The Family)

Post by Razoredge »

I... wasn't ready for that. I expected litterally ANYTHING but that. It's a very well-written piece, and I didn't expect anything else from FluffandCrunch. The last lines are pretty well done, and it got me, I didn't expect that, to be honest. That was a very well done turn of events, and I have to bring him/her credit for that. That's a bitter ending, for sure, but a very well done one. I never read it before, and I know, it's a shame. But, that was a great reading for me, I was surprised by the ending, in the good way, so, yeah, an absolute great piece of writing.
Lilly = Akira > Miki = Hanako > Emi > Rin > Shizune

Stuff I'm currently writing : Beyond the haze : A Lilly Satou pseudo-route, Lullaby of an open heart : A Saki pseudo-route & Sakura Blossom : A way with Hisao
Oddball

Re: Yamaku Book Club (Kotani's Agency for finding things)

Post by Oddball »

Kotani's Agency for finding things by Ario.

There sure are a lot of detective stories set in KS. Unlike certain other fics though, this one doesn't do anything to break canon or even the mood set by the main game (unless you count Kenji's set-up here but you could argue that Kenji breaks the mood even in the game.)

This is still a little slice of life set in Yamaku. It just features a student that fancies himself a detective. Kotani might be a little too perfect and a little too "based on the author" but it's nothing horrible. It's just a light soft enjoyable story with a few cute moments here and there.

Also, this story steals one of my ideas. It was a bit odd seeing it here, but I don't mind.
Not Dead Yet
Razoredge

Re: Yamaku Book Club (20210719 Kotani's Agency for finding things)

Post by Razoredge »

To be fair, I'm kinda picky when it comes to detective stories. But this one was an enjoyable reading so far. The slice of life elements and the general mood helped a lot, I have to say. I really don't mind if the OC is a self-insert, or if the writer has put a lot of himself/herself in the character, it's not badly made, so I can't complain about it. I would say that three conditions for the same character is a little bit too much, but as someone who made a two conditions character, I have nothing to say. The writing is really enjoyable though, it's a nice little piece, but it feels like it's not finished. This whole thing would have deserved to have other parts and a proper ending thing, but hey, I guess we'll never have the ending.

So, yeah, this thing is a really enjoyable piece of writing, I liked it.

Stuff I'm currently writing : Beyond the haze : A Lilly Satou pseudo-route, Lullaby of an open heart : A Saki pseudo-route & Sakura Blossom : A way with Hisao
belCavendishNY

Post by belCavendishNY »

This was a cute little piece. I wouldn't call it a great mystery, but that's alright with me. It's a pity the author hasn't been heard from in eight years; it'd be nice to see a continuation of some kind and making one without permission is frowned upon.
brythain

Post by brythain »

belCavendishNY wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:59 pm … it'd be nice to see a continuation of some kind and making one without permission is frowned upon.
You can start a new thread with your own continuation; I don't think people frown upon it as long as your intentions are clear and you credit the original writer. There are a fair number of those around if you look hard enough.

(Note: this is a statement of possible process, not a request.)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Oddball

Re: Yamaku Book Club (An Apology to the Nurse)

Post by Oddball »

Well, here's an interesting one.

It's a nice short work that, in the same thread, got more fanfic written as a response to it in the same topic. It's a very short piece with a very Kenji-like Hisao and it hilariously explores exactly what happens if Hisao DOESN'T die when he falls off the roof.

Go ahead and read, An Apology to the Nurse by lolawesome.

and then a few posts later in the same topic, read it's sequel(?) by Kielox.
Not Dead Yet
Razoredge

Re: Yamaku Book Club (20210823 An Apology to the Nurse)

Post by Razoredge »

As you said, it was short. But for this kind of absurd content, short shots are good, really good. It was pretty good, in my opinion, a nice change with the canon personality of Hisao. This is the most Kenji-ish Hisao I ever read since I joined this forum, and it was pretty well made. The absurdity of what Hisao did and him trying to apologize about that, while remaining quite stupid at the same time, was a great idea. Letters format, when they are used in a creative way, can give really great content, and it was the case here, at least for me. Nurse's answer is just cherry on top, and Kielox did a good thing to answer with such a thing.

That was short but absurd, a total twist in Hisao's personality and behavior, but it works, and it was a good reading. A short one, but a good one. I liked that.

Oddball

Re: Yamaku Book Club (Writings of AA)

Post by Oddball »

Let's take a look at two old stories with Rin, the Writings of AA.

Here we have two Rin-centric, pre-release stories: Like Fresh Cut Grass and About Michelangelo and Us.

If you like your Rin in a dreamy poetic almost abstract way, I high suggest these two. Personally,m I prefer a bit more weird awkwardness in Rin, but that's me. If anything, the first story might be a bit too dream like.

And if there's a fault with the second story, it that despite being called About Michelangelo and Us, there isn't one single Ninja Turtle in the story.
Not Dead Yet
Iceconsciousness

Re: Yamaku Book Club (20210920 Writings of AA)

Post by Iceconsciousness »

Rin in Like Fresh Cut Grass was indeed dreamy, poetic and abstract, especially more so than in About Michelangelo and Us, though of these two I like the former better. In both cases, though, Rin's thoughts and dialogue were on point, though again I think this is more true for the former. I also found it strange that Rin had a key to the boy's dorms in Like Fresh Cut Grass, though this is something I wouldn't entirely put past Rin to do or have.
An Apology to the Nurse
This one got a chuckle out of me. In KS itself, I don't really like Kenji at all, but the idea of a Kenjified Hisao is something I had thought about briefly after getting the appropriate ending, and it was funny to see how someone else had imagined it.
Reunion: Hisao and Akira Avoid The Family
Wow. This one was really good, I thought, and it hit me a lot harder than I thought it would(though this may simply be due to the fact that I like Akira a lot). I liked the way Akira was written, and I think her playful side really shines here. This also motivated me to start reading the rest of the fics by FluffandCrunch, something I had planned to do but had kind of put on the backburner until now.

I meant to write out my thoughts on these much earlier, but here they are.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I meant to write out my thoughts on these much earlier, but here they are.
Better late than never.
Not Dead Yet
Oddball

Re: Yamaku Book Club (Maid In Hell: Starring Shizune by Murex.)

Post by Oddball »

Guess what's back from the dead?

If you guessed Dracula, then you're a bit late. Halloween is over with.
Speaking of that, if you were wondering why it took me so long to update ... I just really have alot going on in October.

You probabaly weren't wondering though, where you?

Anyway, time for another fun filled book club!

Maid In Hell: Starring Shizune by Murex.

Oooh. I do hate to spoil this one. It really needs to be read.

Rest assured though, it does star Shizune and she is a maid. The how and the why you really need to see for yourself. Of course, this is yet another story that suffers from being abandoned before anything was fully explained or fleshed out, but it was off to a really good start.
Not Dead Yet
NoticeMeOppai

Post by NoticeMeOppai »

Not much I can really add there - it definitely was off to an intriguing start, just a shame it petered out before it could do anything with it.
NmO Does Shorts

I deeply regret my choice of username.
Jake Zero

Post by Jake Zero »

Oddball wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:54 pm Rest assured though, it does star Shizune and she is a maid. The how and the why you really need to see for yourself. Of course, this is yet another story that suffers from being abandoned before anything was fully explained or fleshed out, but it was off to a really good start.
Welcome to me and most of my stories.
Mirage_GSM

Re: Yamaku Book Club (20211122 Maid in Hell)

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Re: An Apology to the Nurse:
I wish I'd remember what that cracked article I mentioned in my comment from back then was.

Re: Maid in Hell:
Yeah, I really would have been interested where Murex was going to take this story.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Decaying_Orbital

Post by Decaying_Orbital »

Oddball wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:54 pm
Maid In Hell: Starring Shizune by Murex.
This actually got me to laugh a few times, I'd have loved to seen where the author would have taken that story.
But I do know one thing now, some future story of mine will likely include some cosplay just for fun.