Yamaku Book Club (20181203 Cup & Saucer: Rika)

WORDS WORDS WORDS
CurioTwitch

Re: Yamaku Book Club (20181203 Cup & Saucer: Rika)

Post by CurioTwitch » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:42 am

I haven’t read the pastebin chapters yet but so far I am enjoying the writing, not really the story itself or the characterizations, but the style is slower and comfy. Kinda dramatic in my opinion right up front, where other stories build a little slower to bigger moments. It would be nice to take the fic as a finished whole, but that’s obvious.

I like Rika as a more direct foil to Hisao, there’s a lot of potential difference in someone very used to living with the same condition as our newcomer. I appreciate it more when Rika’s more abrupt or even abrasive about her disability. This fic wasn’t that, but it’s still worth the read IMO

Oddball

Re: Yamaku Book Club (The Night Doctor)

Post by Oddball » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:23 am

The Night Doctor by Kirbo

I don't want to explain this one. It looses impact if you're not walking into it blind.

... With that said, it's not my taste. Actually that's a lie. This would totally be my taste OUTSIDE of KS. It just doesn't work as a KS story.
Not Dead Yet

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:50 pm

I don't even remember reading that one, but I'm sure that back then I didn't know any more what to think about it than I do now.
It's probably some kind of crossover with some vampire story, but frankly I don't care enough to look it up.
I don't even think this deserves to be called a "story". It's a few jumbled scenes with no coherence at all and hardly any connection to Katawa Shoujo.
And now I've wasted the three minutes to read it a second time.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 pm

Cup & Saucer - A Cute Act 1 for a Pseudo-Pseudo Route (i.e., Hisao x Girl from Girl's perspective). It's serviceable for what it is. It gets Rika's condition pretty wrong, but still (mostly) matches the thematic basis of the Rika concept. By virtue of being an Act 1, though, the best it can be is a good beginning. Which it achieves, admitted.

The Night Doctor - Like Mirage, I feel I want those 3 minutes back. For context as to WTF it is for those who don't know: Ron Paul is a US Politician who is also a doctor. For whatever reason, memes swarm to him. In this case, it likely references some joke meme about him being some sort of skinwalker, feeding on human flesh. Aside from the eye-rolling premise, my issue is that it was just so disjointed, with no clear sense of causality or happening. Just a few snippets that felt "kinda cool" shoved into a text box and called a story.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754

brythain

Re: Yamaku Book Club (The Night Doctor)

Post by brythain » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Oddball wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:23 am
With that said, it's not my taste. Actually that's a lie. This would totally be my taste OUTSIDE of KS. It just doesn't work as a KS story.
Then don't do this!!! :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

NoticeMeOppai

Post by NoticeMeOppai » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:19 am

Cup and Saucer was sweet - I have to say I'm developing a soft spot for Rika fics lately. Shame it never got finished though.

The Night Doctor on the other hand I feel was a disjointed mess of memeing and oddness. The writing itself was fine and with a bit of editing to give it some coherency and flow might have been an interesting tale. Sadly that wasn't the case. I'm not even sure what happened to Shizune in it. I'd re-read it to try and work it out but frankly I don't want to.