Lustre: A Misaki Kawana Route [Update 11/05/2014]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Numb

Lustre: A Misaki Kawana Route [Update 11/05/2014]

Post by Numb »

Alright, so this might seem a bit sudden, but I've decided that while I work on the visual novel I'm working on, it might be healthy to have a side project. You know? Something to work on when I get stuck, bored or start to lose my sanity. While I probably could've just continued Blossom, I don't think it's fair to take the cancelled tag off of it now, I don't like going back on my word, so that is going to remain dead. I do still have the notes for it, so if I do choose to bring it back one day then I can, fairly easily actually, but I doubt I'll return to it.

For now though, enjoy the introduction to a new project, something I don't believe has been done before. Updates will be slow, VN work will, obviously, take priority over this.

Table of Contents
Act One
Chapter Zero: An Introduction. (This post)
Chapter One: Hisao Nakai; journalist
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Zero: An Introduction

I sit down to lunch with Shizune and Misha for the third time this week, ready to tune out whatever argument for joining the student council they have this time.

“Hey Hicchan~!” Misha shouts, drawing attention from the immediately adjacent tables. I can see a few sympathetic eyes before they turn back to their conversations, but they don’t know the half of it.

“Hey Misha, Shizune.” I mutter, looking down at my tray of food in an effort to avoid eye contact. I can see Shizune signing something to Misha on the edge of my peripheral vision, no doubt something about my joining them. Here it comes, today’s master plan.

“So Hicchan, have you found a club yet~?”

I knew it. I haven’t even had a chance to touch my food, and they’re already pestering me about joining them.

“No, I couldn’t find a list.” I say, sounding a little bit more irritated than I wanted to. “You wouldn’t happen to have one, would you?”

“Wahaha~! Of course we do Hicchan! Why didn’t you just ask~?” Misha laughs. She always laughs, it’s actually starting to annoy me. I take a bite of my chicken to stop myself from talking for a moment while I think of a response. Ah, screw it, just say whatever comes to mind.

“So you’ve been bugging me about finding a club or joining the student council without showing me the other options?” I ask, putting down my chopsticks and staring right at Misha. I can see she’s uncomfortable, but I’m not sure I really care anymore.

“We, uh… Maybe~?” She’s lost for words. What a change.

“So can I see this list?” I ask, loosening my tone slightly. “I’d at least like to know what the other options are before I consider joining the student council.”

Misha bends down to pull a sheet of paper from her bag, sliding it across the table to me. She looks dejected, and I know it’s my fault. It probably isn’t even her idea to make me join, she just has to voice what Shizune wants. I’ll apologise later, for now though I need to stay strong and make my point.

Let’s see here… The literature club is full already. I’m not very artsy, so the art club is an instant no. A list of sporting clubs follows, all wasted on me now that my heart limits what I can do. That leaves three options, the fashion club, photography club and newspaper club. Neither of the first two really appeal to me, and I guess the newspaper club is sort of like the literature club…

“Hey Misha, is there any room in this one?” I ask, pointing at it on the list.

“I think so Hicchan, most of the club are in our class if you want to ask them~!” She laughs. Good, she’s laughing again. “Just ask Naomi, she sits at the back beside Hanachan~!”

Naomi…?

“The blonde girl?”

“Yup~!”

“Alright, thanks.” I say, flashing her an appreciative smile before turning back to my meal.
Last edited by Numb on Sun May 11, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
Hotkey

Re: Lustre: A Misaki Kawana Route [Started 14/02/2014]

Post by Hotkey »

Yes! Yes! Yes! I always thought she looked cuteinteresting in the 3-3 dev photo! Finally someone is writing a story about her! Can't wait, can't wait!
Mournful3ch0

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

Hotkey wrote:Yes! Yes! Yes! I always thought she looked cuteinteresting in the 3-3 dev photo!
Same. Had no idea why nobody had written about her. That said....

Talk about being caught with your pants around your ankles. http://i5.minus.com/i8EROA0qEQHo1.png

I'd really love to read this as it comes out, but I'd be afraid of cross-contamination of personality. I haven't really solidified her character or set up more than a few thousand words of her interactions with Hisao.

I wish you the best, good luck!
Image "Forsooth, that line was feeble." - Courtesy of Mirage_GSM
Image "It occurs to me that maybe I’m an idiot." - Thanks to Jaspirian
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Scoliosis, huh? This'll be interesting :D
I enjoyed Blossom, so I can say I'll be looking forwards to this one ;)
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Jailbreaker

Post by Jailbreaker »

Hmm, one of the least characterized girls in 3-3. I'll be monitoring this thread.
Guestimate

Post by Guestimate »

Huh. Always interesting to see a new girl. I'll be watching.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Hm. Isn't Misaki in the photography club? Though I suppose that could be connected to the newspaper club. And that aside, I suppose the 3-3 roster picture isn't necessarily "canon."

I'll have to give this a look once the girl comes onto the scene.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Numb

Post by Numb »

Helbereth wrote:I didn't cause this, did I?
No, though you using her briefly in Tomorrow's Doom did remind me that she exists.
Mahorfeus wrote:Hm. Isn't Misaki in the photography club?
Yeah, she is in the photography club. You'll see how this works when I have more time to work on it, don't worry.

I have plans. Lots of plans. But they come second in my writing priorities.
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Numb wrote:
Mahorfeus wrote:Hm. Isn't Misaki in the photography club?
Yeah, she is in the photography club. You'll see how this works when I have more time to work on it, don't worry.

I have plans. Lots of plans. But they come second in my writing priorities.
I just guessed that Hisao would join the newspaper club, and find himself working closely with Misaki due to the two clubs being indelibly linked. The journalist and the photographer - classic pairing.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

That's what I figure. I suppose it would be a little redundant to have two different sets of photographers.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
AnathRaema

Post by AnathRaema »

I am greatly looking forward to more of your work Numb. I quite enjoy your writing.
I write poetry sometimes. It's pretty bad. I should work on that at one point.
Mournful3ch0

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

AnathRaema wrote:I am greatly looking forward to more of your work Numb. I quite enjoy your writing.
Oh, I should probably finish that one-shot soon so I can actually read this. Right.
I do really enjoy his other writings, so I'm going to have to get to work!
Image "Forsooth, that line was feeble." - Courtesy of Mirage_GSM
Image "It occurs to me that maybe I’m an idiot." - Thanks to Jaspirian
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Mournful3ch0 wrote:
AnathRaema wrote:I am greatly looking forward to more of your work Numb. I quite enjoy your writing.
Oh, I should probably finish that one-shot soon so I can actually read this. Right.
I do really enjoy his other writings, so I'm going to have to get to work!
I wouldn't worry too much. Misaki hasn't even shown up in this story yet.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Numb

Re: Lustre - Chapter One: Hisao Nakai; journalist.

Post by Numb »

I've set aside some time recently to work on personal projects, giving myself a day in the week away from VN work, so now have time to work on this again. I started it with the intention of having a fun side project to work on, though realised how impractical that was when the workload increased. Now, after struggling with a minor blockage, I realise how much more practical it is to have more than one project, as it allows me to switch between them if I hit a snag, and clear my head to help work out solutions. Still, don't expect this to be frequent, I am only dedicating one day a week to development and will give that day up if I'm needed for VN work on that day. Now that that's out of the way, enjoy the first actual chapter of Lustre, I know a few of you have been wanting this :lol:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During Mutou’s lecture, I find it difficult to stay focused. I keep throwing glances back at Naomi, wondering if the club will even take me. Alright Hisao, stop, pay attention to the teacher. Now what was he saying about the rate of combustion? Dammit, I’ve lost track.

“So, can anyone tell me the amount of magnesium hydroxide needed to neutralise the solution?” Mutou asks, though I can tell he’s looking at me for the answer. I quickly read the formulae he has written on the blackboard, comparing volumes and pH levels in my head until –

“Three point three mols, sir.”

“Very good Nakai.”

Alright, that was close. I need to stop looking back at Naomi and focus, the newspaper club can wait. Misha nudges me when Mutou turns back to write on the blackboard, slipping a small pink sheet of paper into my hand before continuing with her translations for Shizune.

I shove the note under my notebook for now, not concerned with whatever they have to say. My entire attention should be on what Mutou is saying. Sounds like he’s talking about combustion now, how did we get from acidic solutions to combustion? I give up trying to follow today’s lesson, instead turning to my notebook and doodling in the margin until the bell signifying the end of the day sounds.

Quickly gathering my things, I tidy my desk and make my way to the back of the classroom before Shizune and Misha can get a hold of me. Naomi has already formed a small group around her, making this feel a little more than awkward, but I squeeze my way past Hanako’s protruding chair and offer a nervous wave.

“Hey, Naomi.”

The group falls silent, their attention shifted away from whatever conversation they were having. Three pairs of eyes are focused on me, waiting for something to happen, when Naomi speaks up.

“Hey… Hisao, right?” She asks, a strange look on her face. I’m not sure whether she’s annoyed that I approached her or not. “Sorry, I’m not good with names.”

“Yeah, Hisao. Sorry to intrude, but I’m wondering if I can join the newspaper club, assuming there’s room of course.” I say, waiting for some kind of reason why I can’t join, a rejection that will send me back to the student council.

“Sure, whatever. I thought you were with the dynamic duo, but if you need somewhere to escape to, we’re open.” Naomi shrugs, ignoring my confusion at the nickname for Shizune and Misha. “We were just about to go to the editing room, if you wanna tag along. I’ll file the paperwork later, no worries.”

No rejection, no excuse. Hell, no formalities. I can’t help but smile.

“Naomi, don’t we have work to do today?” A shorter brown haired girl beside her asks. I quickly notice that her eyes are coloured differently, though I’m not sure whether to look away or not. “Stare all you want Hisao, I’m used to it. Natsume, by the way.”

“Oh, uh… Sorry, I’ve just never seen… You know what, forget I said anything.” I stammer, causing the rest of the group to laugh.

“But seriously, Naomi, the deadline. It’s due Friday and we barely have any – ”

“Shh, Natsume. We’ll get it done, we’re great at procrastinating, remember? Today we introduce Hisao to the club, tomorrow we’ll introduce him to work.” Naomi stops her, placing a finger to her lips and smiling at me when Natsume slumps her shoulders. “Alright, let’s go. You coming with us today Misaki?”

“Yeah, the photography club never shows up anymore anyway.” A third girl, whom I somehow hadn’t noticed before, says. I don’t know why, but I can’t look away from her. I probably look like some kind of freak. Surprisingly, she doesn’t react badly, giving me a quick smile before crouching down to pick up her bag.

“Have fun Hicchan~!” Misha shouts from across the room, drawing everyone’s attention to me and the departing newspaper club, much to my dismay. Naomi raises an inquisitive eyebrow at me, probably something to do with the nickname.

“Keep your head down and don’t make eye contact… They’ll eat your soul.” I joke, though the way things have been these past few days don’t make it too hard to believe. I got dangerously close to spending all of my time with Kenji, or alone. I’m still not sure which I’d prefer.

I shuffle out behind Natsume, avoiding eye contact with the so-called ‘Dynamic Duo’, letting out a sigh of relief when the door closes behind us.

“Wow Hisao, they really that bad?” asks the red-haired boy, who has been silent up until now.

“You have no idea… Every day so far has been some kind of contest, whether it’s a game of Risk or just classwork.” I explain as we walk down the hall, trying to keep my complaints to a minimum. “I’m sure they mean well, but god damn are they exhausting…”

“Yeah, that’s a common experience. Hey, Misaki, weren’t you on the council before everything broke apart?” Naomi asks, whirling around to face the quiet girl beside me.

“Never officially, but I helped with a few things when they asked. They kind of just stopped asking when I joined the photography club.”

“That was before Satou left, right?” Naomi asks, stopping and pulling out a set of keys before tossing them to Natsume.

“Yeah, I think it was when they ran the soba booth. That was my first assignment at least, get a picture of them in action.”

“Bet you’re glad we have you on interesting jobs now.” Natsume laughs, unlocking and opening the door marked ‘Class 4-2’. The group file in to the room, so I follow.

It’s dark. The only light sources are the three computer monitors that buzz away at the far side of the room, giving everything else a blueish tint. Stacks of paper cover a desk by the window, blocking out any natural light that might come in if the blackout curtains were open. All of the other desks seem to have been removed from the room, as the rest of the space remains empty, except for a few beanbags and a coffee table.

“Welcome to the lair, Hisao.” Naomi chuckles as she plops down into a big leather chair, swiveling around as the rest of the club find their seats. “We don’t usually get visitors, so whatever we do in here stays unknown to the rest of the school.”

“That sounds…”

“What, ominous? Fun?”

“No, not that. I don’t know, I just got this weird feeling when you said that.”

“Sexual?” She smirks, bursting into laughter when my face flushes red. “Come on Hisao, we’re all friends here. You can’t handle a little dirty humour?”

“I can handle it, I just didn’t expect it.”

“Well now you do, expect more of it as the day goes on. Akio, be a dear and crack open the minifridge, I’m parched.”

“What’s stopping you from doing it?” Akio protests, looking up at the cane he is currently spinning above his head.

“I have to keep our guest entertained, and you look desperately bored right now. Grape please.”

The cane stops spinning. A few seconds of silence pass, Akio unmoving under Naomi’s ‘sweetheart gaze’. She bats her eyes a few times, eventually cracking him.

“Fine. You guys want anything?”

“Gimme a sex on the beach, with the little umbrella. And make it fast!” Natsume teases, clapping her hands and shooing Akio away.

“Alright, grape for everyone then.”

“I was serious about that drink, Akio.”

So this is the newspaper club. Sitting around a table, talking over drinks about the latest gossip in school and how to make it sound official.

“Hey, how about we do an article on Hisao? New guy in town, we don’t get that much around this time of year.”

Wait, what?

“Naomi, for the last time, we already have work to do. We don’t need another article – ”

“Natsume, what ever will we do with you… We don’t need to worry about the festival articles until the festival is actually over.”

“I’m not talking about those articles, I’m talking about the retirement of Scruffy the janitor.”

“Scruffy retired?”

“Yes, and I interviewed him.”

“Good job, people loved Scruffy. So we need an article about that?”

“Yes, we need two pages. I promised him a special in this week’s paper.”

Naomi leans back in her chair, which is starting to make her look more like the head of a criminal organisation than a newspaper club, tapping her fingers against her leg.

“Hmm… Do we have pictures of him? Misaki?”

“We do, but there aren’t any recent ones…”

Naomi hums, tapping her foot against the air as she tries to come up with a solution. After about a minute, nobody has said anything new, so I decide to pitch my idea.

“How about a look back at his time here, like a highlight reel?”

It’s a strange feeling when four pairs of eyes set their focus on you, but the faces attached remain unchanged. Why aren’t any of them blinking?

“Hisao, you genius! We’ll just touch up some old photos, apply filters to give an idea of the time period, then write short recaps of what was doing at the time.” Naomi squeals, leaping out of her chair, almost like she was about to hug me before stopping herself.

She starts pacing, tapping her chin and tilting her head occasionally. Nobody else in the room talks, choosing instead to focus all of their attention on a single spot on the ceiling. The silence fills the room with a strange lethargy, where everyone was laughing and making jokes just minutes prior, they now lie unmoving.

About ten minutes pass, indicated only by the clock above the door. It’s set to the wrong time, but it still seems to function properly. Naomi finally stops pacing, instantly becoming the centre of attention again.

“Akio, Natsume. You’ll both work on the Scruffy special. Make sure to have jokes where appropriate, and Akio, work your magic on a touching goodbye message. We want him to shed some manly tears, but don’t go overboard and cause a breakdown. It’s his retirement, he needs to remember it fondly.”

“Hisao, you’ll be working with me and Misaki on the buildup to the festival, and the actual coverage of the event. It’s time to prove that you’re good for something other than just eyecandy, now get that sweet ass on a computer and I’ll give you a rundown of how we do things.”

“So all I do is separate into columns and type? You made it sound so complicated before.”

“No, there’s a little more to it than that, but that’s the basic idea. Look, you still need to justify, indent, title and sign the text.” Naomi explains, hopping up onto the desk beside me and pointing at the flaws that, apparently, are abundant.

“So, what you’re saying is that I’m close.”

“Very funny Hisao, but writing an article is only the first step. Formatting is the most important part of writing a newspaper, because if it’s messy, then people won’t read it. That’s why we justify text,” She explains, taking control of the mouse. “Fit everything into a block of space, add a title, indent paragraphs and sign.”

“Alright, so to justify I just highlight and click this button?”

“Yes.”

“And to indent I press the key with the arrows whenever I take a new line?”

“Yup, you’ve got it. Now, sign it as H. Nakai, and we can print it for the test build.”

I follow her gaze to a point below the article, selecting the area and pressing a few keys. I save the document, close the editing software and lean back in my chair, glad that it’s finally over. It’s a good way to learn more about the school at least, and God knows I need to do that.

Naomi hops off of the desk and places her hand on my shoulder, spinning my chair around to face her.

“Congratulations Hisao, you’re now an amateur journalist. Welcome to the newspaper club.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys know the drill, comments, criticism and corrections. The three C's baby! :lol:

For those interested in the VN I am working on, we have been posting information every Saturday on our subreddit, found here, and greatly appreciate any support we get. If this is breaching an unwritten rule, feel free to remove this line Silentcook.
Last edited by Numb on Mon May 12, 2014 7:23 am, edited 4 times in total.