COM(promise) - A Miki Route (Updated Sep 26th, 2020)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mader Levap

Re: COM(promise) - A Miki Route (Updated Sep 26th, 2020)

Post by Mader Levap »

Good to see this thing is still continued! Hopefully with more frequent updates now, wink, wink.
Image Proud member of Polish Route - group that translated Katawa Shoujo to Polish. Full translation released!
Feurox

Post by Feurox »

A nice little updates. Of course, the greater shadows still loom. I like Rokuro, like a mini- Hisao. And actually it was really interesting reading your little note after the update, I didn’t know the consensus on cpr had changed!
My Molly Route
Ekephrasis and Other Stories
I hate when people ruin perfectly good literature with literary terminology.
- CraftyAtom
kasspa7

Post by kasspa7 »

I can't wait to read more of this, don't leave me hanging man!

My only criticism is Hisao coming across as a bit of a pansy at first acts, but I think you planned this to be a character development thing where he became much more confident as the story progresses.
Another thing is when he meets Rokuro he seems to completely ignore Suzu and Miki and I felt really bad for Miki when I was reading that scene for some reason, it made me a bit annoyed but that might be just me. Also I feel like Miki thinks too much at times but that's probably just how she is I'm guessing :lol:
Keep up the good work :wink:
Mirage_GSM

Re: Cockpit Resource Management (Medical Footnote)

Post by Mirage_GSM »

First of all, nice to see the new chapter. It's good as always.

As for the CPR thing:

Craftyatom wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:11 am

With that scene over, I wanted to mention one last thing regarding the nurse's advice. Based on the small amount of research I did, back in 2007 (when this story is set), medical consensus was that untrained bystanders should not attempt CPR, lest they exacerbate the victim's condition. However, around 2009/2010, consensus changed (thanks to some good retrospective studies on survival to discharge rates) to support the idea that untrained bystanders should be encouraged to perform compression-only CPR, generally with assistance from the emergency dispatcher they're in contact with. To be clear, in case you ever find yourself in such a situation and think back to this moment:

At time of writing, it is suggested that untrained bystanders perform hands-only CPR in emergency situations. As one medical professional was quoted by the BBC: "[P]eople who are untrained should have a go at doing chest compressions because something is better than nothing and they could be buying time for someone who desperately needs it."

As you said, medical consensus changes by time - and probably also by country.
In Germany - and quite a few other countries "failure to render assistance" can be a crime depending on the circumstances, and since a first-aid course in mandatory when getting your driver's license almost everyone has been trained in CPR - though for some that course might be decades back.

That said when a patient is in need of CPR, there is never a reason not to do it. As my trainers always put it, a person in need of CPR is at that point practically dead. It doesn't get any worse than that, even if the CPR is not performed optimally. A few ribs broken along the way don't really matter; and especially for elderly people whose bones are more brittle than those of younger people it is almost impossible to do CPR without.

Where medical consensus has changed in the last decade or so is in how to determine whether or not a patient actually is in need of CPR.
Back when I had my first first-aid course we were taught to check for both breathing and pulse in a patient and to only start CPR when both are missing. Since then this has been changed (in the general courses for laypeople - professionals still check both) to only check for breathing, since apparently people who aren't used to checking for pulse take too long to do it, and the benefits of starting CPR early apparently outweigh the risks of doing CPR on someone who has a condition that only inhibits breathing but not circulation.

Whether or not to do full CPR or hands only... Well, full CPR is always the better option, but for the short term, hands only is still a lot better than nothing and will help a lot to bridge the time until an ambulance arrives, so it is recommended if the patient has facial injuries or it is otherwise hard to give them oxygen without proper equipment.

Last edited by Mirage_GSM on Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Craftyatom

Re: Cockpit Resource Management (Medical Footnote)

Post by Craftyatom »

Mader Levap wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:45 am Good to see this thing is still continued! Hopefully with more frequent updates now, wink, wink.
Hopefully! There's the secret santa coming up, which will take over my writing for a month or so. But I'm graduating soon, which means more time for writing - until I get a job, at which point all bets are off.
Feurox wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:07 pm A nice little updates. Of course, the greater shadows still loom. I like Rokuro, like a mini- Hisao.
You're very big on those looming shadows, aren't you? ;P Don't worry, you'll get your conflict soon enough. And despite that being a very fitting take on Rokuro, I actually hadn't thought of it that way before. Interesting.
kasspa7 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:29 pm I can't wait to read more of this, don't leave me hanging man!

My only criticism is Hisao coming across as a bit of a pansy at first acts, but I think you planned this to be a character development thing where he became much more confident as the story progresses.
Another thing is when he meets Rokuro he seems to completely ignore Suzu and Miki and I felt really bad for Miki when I was reading that scene for some reason, it made me a bit annoyed but that might be just me. Also I feel like Miki thinks too much at times but that's probably just how she is I'm guessing :lol:
Keep up the good work :wink:
Glad to have you on board! As above, I'll try my best not to leave anyone out to dry. Hisao does undergo a lot of character development in acts 1 and 2, so I can understand what you mean. And Rokuro is sort of set up like that - looks like everything's going according to plan! As for Miki thinking too much, it's probably because I do her internal monologue in a different style than her dialogue. Her thoughts are more verbose, since the reader is supposed to think them, whereas her spoken words are more like what you'd actually hear in a conversation. Or maybe it's just that I think too much and it rubs off on her :P
Mirage_GSM wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:10 pm First of all, nice to see the new chapter. It's good as always.

As for the CPR thing: As you said, medical consensus changes by time - and probably also by country. [...]
Very interesting - I didn't know any of that about the German side of things! And I can see how different countries might have different policies or best practices. Which does beg the question: what's Japan's? I'm not really sure how I'd even find out.

Anyways, thank you all for your kind words! I'm as excited as you are for the next chapter, so hopefully it won't take too long to release (again, keeping in mind that I'll spend December tied up with secret santa).
Main route: COM(promise)
One-shots: Crafty's One-Shots (Dark Winter Sky, Dreamy, Path of Least Resistance, Project Blue Curtain, and more!)
Old poetry: Google Drive Collection
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

There are probably some japanese first-aid materials online in several places...
Problem is, my Japanese might be sufficient to translate such materials if I found them, but it is much harder to find something japanese with google in the first place if you don't know where exactly to look...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Saenoki

Post by Saenoki »

So after reading this extremely late, only finding it earlier this year (2023) I have to say, I'm glad you told us the tale of your version of Miki and Hisao. I'll be honest and say it's probably my favorite version of Miki and I love the inspirations that can be felt from Suzu's Pseudo Route, while not leaning to heavily into that inspiration, it really gives the characters a familiar sort of feeling, it's nice to read the Pseudo Route and then come into this one and feel the same kind of warm characters considering usually jumping from fic to fic can give major character attitude change whiplash!
While it's sad it hasn't been completed, I think it's progressed enough and built the characters well enough that you can sort of build your own interpretation of how they would move forward! In the end, isn't that what good writing's supposed to do?
I normally wouldn't comment on these threads but I had to say thank you for keeping me entertained and telling a lovely story, plus for doing what you could to help break the Miura curse, while we do have Summers Clover now, more Miki content is always good! Hopefully one day we get to see 'Rising Steam' pop up so we're not left on the cliffhanger of Miki being introduced to AED's :P

Because of all the fanfics casting so much different light on every character, every girl is best girl!
hdkv
new forum host for the next 15 years

Post by hdkv »

I like this story, and smiled a lot while reading it.

On one hand, it looks like Miki curse is working and, since the last update was three years ago, the hope of seeing that story to end is nonexistent at this point.

On the other tho author was online at forums pretty recently, so one can hope.

Thanks for the story, anyway!

I provide tech support for this forum. Ping me by email, Discord or DM.
forums changelog
Fleeting Heartbeat Studios: site, Discord.