Re: Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (New NSFW Art 2/22)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Blackmambauk

Re: Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (Updated 5/11)

Post by Blackmambauk »

Very nice, can't wait to see what comes next.
"I think the greatest skill a writer can have is simply having confidence in themselves to tell the story they want to tell, and to have confidence that their audience will make up their own minds on their story and characters." Blackmambauk

Favourite Route= All the Routes were done well. Each had it's strengths and weak points. But none were bad, a brilliant achievement by the KS Team.
Eurobeatjester

Re: Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (Updated 7/12)

Post by Eurobeatjester »

New chapter! I actually managed to only take two months this time!

Fairly dialogue heavy. Was a fun challenge to write this one!

With the length of this chapter, Learning To Fly just hit a little over 100,000 words! I never thought I'd get to this milestone!

Comments and feedback, as always, appreciated :)

Act 3: Ignition

Scene 2: World 2-1

“You'll be okay, right?” Chisato asks, picking up Noriko's bag and handing it to her.

“I'll be fine,” her friend states, gratefully taking it and slinging it over her shoulder. “I'll be back tomorrow evening!” She looks around, her dark hair swirling gently in the light summer breeze.

There's five of us clustered together here at the bottom of the hill that leads up to Yamaku, or more specifically, the bus stop at the bottom of the hill. Chisato, Mitsuru, and myself are standing around Noriko, while Saki's taken a seat on the bench next to us to rest her leg.

Since the four of us were heading down into town to go to the Shanghai and Noriko needed to catch the bus, we decided to walk down as a single group. We met by the front gate shortly after classes ended early for the day and made our way down, the tensions of the last week ebbing out of us as we got farther away from the school.

“Text us if you want us to pick you up when you get back,” Saki says, waving a goodbye.

“Okay!” Noriko answers loudly to be heard over the noise of the bus that has just pulled up. With a final round of nods or waves to and from all of us, and a quick hug from Chisato, she climbs through the entrance and disappears. We continue to stand around for a moment or so after the bus leaves, watching it pull away from the curb.

It's interesting to me that the exact same thing happen again with Noriko. When we were leaving the school, she was her normal, shy self...but as we got farther away and finally into town, you could see that her step got a little bit lighter, and her eyes were a little bit brighter. It may all be in my imagination of course, or I'm seeing something I want to see...but after Saki told me a bit about her when we went into the city, I may be a little bit biased about what I'm seeing.

“How's the leg?” Chisato breaks the silence, turning her attention towards Saki.

“Better,” Saki replies, flexing the limb in question and positioning her cane to get ready to stand. Automatically, I move to offer her my arm, which she quickly takes to help herself up. She smiles at the three of us. “I'll be happy when we can sit down again though. Can we get going now?”

“How far away are we?” I ask.

“Not too far,” Mitsuru says, cocking his head in a specific direction. “Just a block or two that way. It should only take us a few minutes.”

The sidewalk isn't wide enough for all four of us to walk side by side, so Saki and I fall into step behind Chisato and Mitsuru. When I see the two of them easily let their hands grasp each other, I feel Saki reach for my own and only blush slightly when we link our fingers together. After a few silent minutes of walking like this and just taking in the sights of the town, we arrive at the teahouse I've heard so much about. Instead of a grand restaurant or larger building designed to lure customers in, it looks instead like a standard cafe, with a small sign on the sidewalk by the front door.

“Looks nice,” I comment, and I mean it.

Mitsuru holds the door open for the three of us, and I pass by him with a brief nod of thanks. The inside looks to be a lot more traditional than you would expect from the exterior, with dark rich woods and white walls and accents. The place has a very open feeling to it, but I can tell that when you sit down, you'll have a bit of privacy. The word that instantly comes to mind is “homely.” Before I can take anything else in, a flash of pink materializes in front of us, bowing sharply at the waist.

“Welcome! Thank you for patronizing this establishment!”

“Yuuko?” I ask, surprised. “I didn't know you worked here.”

“Um...yes,” she says, a bit flustered, clasping her hands together in front of her chest in a slightly defensive gesture. “I've been here for a year and a half now...oh! May I get you anything?”

Chisato and Mitsuru exchange glances before he speaks for the both of them and orders two coffees. With that, both of them turn to me and I turn to Saki.

“Hmm...” Saki ponders for a second or two. “I'll take a slice of cake and some green tea. Hisao?”

I have no idea what this type of place serves, as there doesn't seem to be a menu posted anywhere. I follow in the footsteps of those before me and order both cake and coffee. Yuuko gives a quick affirmation then scoots off, leaving us to our own devices to find a seat. Fortunately, the seasoned veterans around me find a place for us to stake our claim as we slide easily into a booth, one couple per side.

“Ahhhh,” Chisato says, relaxing both into the booth and Mitsuru's side. “Air conditioning is great, isn't it?”

“It has been rather hot this week, hasn't it?” Mitsuru comments, reaching up to loosen his tie and undo the button of his uniform collar. None of us had a chance to change out of our school clothes before we came down here, and the summer's been making itself known quite well with a heat wave this last week.

“I'm glad I can go swimming again,” Saki sighs, visibly sagging a bit. She's definitely feeling the effects of this excursion, but she's trying hard not to show it. “I don't know what I'd do if I had to wait any longer to get back in the water.”

“Maybe I should start,” Chisato says. “That sounds wonderful right about now.”

“I've been trying to get you to, you know.”

Chisato laughs, cocking her head towards me. “What, one convert isn't enough? No thanks. If I start doing it because I'm obligated to, that takes all the fun out of it. Besides, I don't have a swimsuit that I can use at the school.”

“Shouldn't be a problem if nobody sees you.”

“Yeah, right. Plus, my pump isn't waterproof.”

Yuuko returns, balancing our drinks and orders on a tray that she handles quite well. She may be incredibly nervous, but she seems to do her job with no problems.

“Is everything alright?” she asks, fidgeting and holding the empty tray in front of her almost like a shield. “If there's anything else you need or want...I can get it for you...”

“This looks great, Yuuko,” Saki says with a warm smile, and I agree with her. “Thank you so much!”

Yuuko breathes a sigh of relief and gives a huge smile. “Okay then! If you need anything else, let me know!” She turns on her heels and disappears towards the back.

“Is she always like that?” I idly wonder aloud.

“You've seen her at the library. She's always been a little high strung,” Saki answers, taking an experimental sip of her tea.

“How is it?” I ask.

“Really hits the spot. I can't wait to see what the cake tastes like.”

I look down at my own plate and see a small slice of a yellow cake with a white frosting. Saki didn't say what kind of cake she wanted, and Yuuko didn't ask, so I imagine this is the standard. I take my fork and try a bite, letting out a small noise of approval as the taste of lemons spreads across my mouth.

“Wow, it is good,” I mention to Saki, who's already eating.

“They have a different type every day of the week,” Chisato explains. “Looks like you're enjoying it.”

“Why didn't you order any?” I ask. “Blood sugar?”

“No,” she replies, her face scrunching up. “I just don't like lemons.”

“I told you something was wrong with her,” Saki says, putting her fork down. “Between not liking lemons and that ice cream she made us try when we were in the city, I simply can't believe she's normal.”

“You try it every time I have it, just to see if you still hate it,” Chisato says indignantly, while her boyfriend tries very hard to suppress a smile. “Maybe you're a closet masochist.”

“Must explain why someone so sadistic is my best friend,” Saki fires back, causing all of us to break up laughing.

“So Hisao,” Mitsuru says after a brief pause for us to catch our breath. “You transferred in a few weeks ago, right? How do you like Yamaku so far?”

I take a minute to think about how I'm going to answer that question. I've only been here a month, but it seems like it's been so much longer than that. In that amount of time, I've started working out a bit, have thrown myself back into my studies, had to learn to live more on my own, and even made a few new friends...and when I think of the girl sitting next to me, there's something even more than that.

“Not bad. I'm getting used to it. I mean, it's not easy transferring into a new school your third year, no matter what the circumstance.”

“I imagine it must be. I don't think any of us can relate.”

Continued...
Last edited by Eurobeatjester on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

I knew about Saki and Chisato from previous discussions and the photos I've seen in the band room, but I don't know anything about Mitsuru. “You've been coming to Yamaku since after middle school?”

“I have. It's been an...eventful few years,” he says, looking at Chisato out of the corner of his eyes. This gets her attention, and she playfully elbows him in the ribs. He takes a drink of his coffee, completely nonplussed. When Chisato doesn't get a reaction, she turns her sights on me.

“Only a month and you already got yourself a girlfriend, Hisao? That's smooth.”

It's a good thing I was merely raising my cup to my lips and hadn't actually taken a sip yet, or else it probably would have gone all down the front of my shirt. Just the mere thought of spilling my coffee makes me scowl at her, causing a knowing grin to spread across her face. I look to Saki for support, but I can tell I won't find any quarter there by the way the corner of her mouth is turned upwards too.

“I...uh...”

“Relax,” Chisato relents. “I'm only teasing. It's just a date, right? Lots of people go on dates.”

I feel Saki reaching for my hand under the table as she intertwines her fingers with mine again. It's not a gesture the other two see, but it's one that reassures me.

“Speaking of dates,” Saki starts, “you're still coming next weekend to the studio with the two of us, right?”

“I don't see why not,” I say. “I also don't see what that has to do with a date.”

“It doesn't, but I couldn't think of a way to bring it up. The four of us, like before, right?”

“Three girls all to yourself?” Mitsuru says, dipping his chin to look at me from over the top of his glasses. “You do move fast, don't you?”

“Mitsuru!” Chisato exclaims, slapping him on the shoulder. “What exactly are you implying?”

“Nothing at all, Chisato. Nothing at all.”

“I'm going to get you for that,” she grumbles.

“How exactly did the two of you meet?” I ask. I'm more curious than ever after that last exchange, and to be honest, anything that takes the focus off of me and back on her is a win in my book.

“Second year,” Mitsuru says to me, and Chisato seems content to let him tell the story. “It was around Tanabata. The teacher was looking for volunteers to help set up stalls and bribed us with being able to skip class for the day.”

“You're kidding,” I say, shocked. I feel Saki starting to chuckle beside me, and I know for a fact the irony isn't lost on her.

“We hung out a few times and started dating a few months ago.”

“I'm going to slap you again if you can't give a better answer than that.” Chisato growls.

“I'll take my chances,” he replies to her, smiling and giving her forehead a kiss. Chisato's frown melts into something shy and timid, a look I don't think I've ever seen her have before.

I take another drink of my coffee, and the other three take advantage of the lull in the conversation to do the same. Saki finishes her cake in a few more bites, something that would be more impressive if the serving size wasn't so small. She stares at her plate for a few seconds.

“Do you think Yuuko will freak out if I order another slice?”

“Here, you can have the rest of mine. It's a little too sweet for me,” I say, pushing my plate over to her. It's not exactly true, but the smile she gives both me and the rest of my cake simultaneously makes it worth it.

“Thank you for inviting me,” I mention to nobody in particular. “It's a nice place. I can see why you like coming here.”

“It's a bit different from the city, isn't it?” Chisato says. “I mean, I love the bright lights and the shopping and the food and all, but it's nice to relax once in a while in a place like this.”

“Mmmph,” Saki makes a noise as she finishes what used to be my cake. “We have a three day weekend coming up in two weeks. We should all get together and do something before final exams.”

“What did you have in mind?”

“I'm not sure,” Saki says. “Maybe we could go to the beach?”

Chisato instantly perks up. “We haven't gone yet this year, and the weather should be perfect for it!”

Mitsuru grimaces. “If we're not doing something local, I'm afraid I'll have to pass until summer starts.”

“What's wrong?” his girlfriend asks him, concerned.

“I was planning to use the whole weekend to study, I'm afraid. I'm not doing too well in two of my classes, and I really need to brush up before the exams.”

“So? I'm in the same boat, and I don't see a problem with going to the beach.”

“That's because you're a delinquent.”

“Who you happen to be dating.”

“You're doing so much to convince me Saki was wrong when she called you sadistic.”

Chisato sticks her tongue out at him and leans into him further. Yuuko takes that exact moment to come over.

“Is...is everything alright? How did the food taste?”

“It was great,” I say, scooting the two plates over to where she can grab them. “I'd love a refill on my coffee, if that's okay.”

“I'd like another as well, please,” Mitsuru chimes in.

“Sure!” she says, a little too loud and a little too nervously, scooping up our empty dishes and disappearing as fast as she came. Whether it's a personality quirk or there's some hidden network of trap floors and tunnels in this building, I can't believe the speed in which she's gone. Before we can start our conversation again, she returns just as quickly with a hot carafe of coffee and refills both of our cups. With a pleasant word of thanks, she vanishes again.

“What about you? Are you ready for exams?” Chisato asks me.

“I think so. We're probably going to spend the next two weeks reviewing, knowing Mutou. Science is my favorite subject though, as long as he doesn't give us more group work.”

Mitsuru gives a small laugh of understanding. “Not a fan of carrying dead weight?”

“No, it's not that...well, partly that. But I just do better when I study on my own. I mean, I always did that back at my old school and then when I ended up in the hospital, I didn't exactly have any study partners to choose from.”

Saki must sense the automatic change in my tone, because she gives my hand a small squeeze of comfort. While that surprises me, what's more shocking is that I don't think I would have even realized my voice had shifted unless she had done that. That's a good thing though, isn't it?

“Well,” Chisato says, changing the direction of the topic before it goes somewhere uncomfortable, “I'm looking forward to playing that Yamaha next weekend.” She definitely looks like it, with how her eyes start to sparkle and how she sits up straighter. “I hope it sounds as good as I hope it does.”

Saki laughs. “I'm sure it will sound great.”

“Mr. Takamura should be there too, so you can try out that tempo trick that sensei was talking about.”

And just like that, Saki is no longer smiling. “I guess so...”

“What trick is that?” I ask, curious. “I think I heard something about it when I picked you up from the band room.”

Saki waits a few heartbeats before answering. “It...it's supposed to be a trick where they record my violin and then speed up the tempo, but they change the pitch to keep it the same. It makes it sound like I'm playing faster than I really am.”

I think back to the festival, when I heard her and Chisato play together, and the emotions and feelings that came with it. She sounded incredible, and I can't imagine a situation where she wouldn't.

“Why would you need to-” I start to say, but am cut off by a light kick to the shin and a glare from Chisato. If Saki catches it, she doesn't give any indication. She instead brings her drink up to her face, using it as a barrier between herself and the three of us.

“I can't play as fast as I used to, Hisao,” she says, the tone of her voice matching mine from earlier.

It takes a few seconds to process what that means, and when it hits me, I instantly feel horrible...not only for what I just said, but also because I said it in the setting I did, with everyone around.

“I'm sorry,” I blurt out. “I didn't mean-”

“Forget it,” Saki sighs, putting down her cup and giving a smile that seems painfully forced. “There's nothing I can do about it, and as least I should be grateful that technology can help me out.”

“Sure,” Chisato answers, taking the ball and rolling with it, giving Saki an out. “Maybe afterwards we can hit up that karaoke place Mr. Takamura owns next door.”

Saki's smile turns genuine, and then impish. “Okay, that would make me feel better. At least technology is on my side, but I don't think anything would make you sound better.”

“Like lack of talent ever stopped anyone from being a singer,” Chisato replies, using the tone a teacher takes when she's exasperated with a student. “Besides, autotune is one of the best inventions of modern man.”

“The last time you tried to use it we just spent thirty minutes trying to make space monster noises.”

“Please. I'm an angel and you know it.”

“So is Satan,” Mitsuru observes. “Technically.”

I choke on the sip of coffee I was taking, making the other three laugh, but not before Chisato punches Mitsuru in the arm.

It only takes a few seconds to regain my composure, and while I do, I think about what's happened since we came here. I definitely needed this today. I've only been at Yamaku for a month, but among these people, in this environment as a whole, I'm feeling much better than I ever imagined I would a few months ago. It's amazing to see, both as an observer and as a participant; the easy way that Saki and Chisato talk with each other, the slight battle of wits they always seem to be engaged in, and how I'm learning to hold my own in these exchanges. They constantly push each other, and myself, in positive ways. I knew almost nothing about Mitsuru before getting together tonight, but he seems as much at ease as one can be, and more than able to give as good as he gets. That probably comes with the territory.

“We never did decide what to do with that three day weekend,” Saki mentions, her voice turning diplomatic. “Beach? Or maybe the waterpark?”

“There's a waterpark near here?” I ask.

“Well, maybe not exactly near here. It's a few hours south by train...”

I do some very obvious calculations in my head. “Isn't that a bit much though? We'd have to turn around the second we got there.”

“Hisao's right,” Chisato interjects. “I say we do the beach. It's closer, and we can do the waterpark when summer break starts after Tanabata so we have time to plan it out.”

“You two don't go home for summer?” I ask, assuming that was the case. I know that's what's going to happen for me, but it never occurred to that there might be students where that's optional. Emi said that Saki's father worked in Osaka, and given how unique Yamaku is, there probably are a good number of students that have to deal with similar distances.

“We go home,” Saki says, “but we like to spend the first few days of the vacation doing something fun together before we do. Yamaku doesn't really close down, they just don't have classes and most of the staff takes a vacation, so there's plenty of people who stay in the dorms. We went to the waterpark last year and it was a lot of fun so we'd like to do it again. Maybe you could come with us?”

I haven't even thought of what I'm going to do during summer after classes get out. I've been so preoccupied with my first month here, and the next month is going to be taken up with preparation for exams...I'd have to think about the logistics. But as soon as she mentioned it, I know I really want to go.

“Sounds like it would be fun, but can I get back to you on that?”

Saki gives my hand another squeeze under the table. “Sure.”

Continued...
Last edited by Eurobeatjester on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

“You sure you don't want to come with us?” Chisato says, turning towards her boyfriend. “How much studying do you have to do?”

“Enough to where it worries me,” he answers, tapping a finger against his upper lip in a contemplative motion. “Let me see how confident I am in a week or so. I'll definitely be joining you for whatever you decide to do when break starts, though.”

Chisato backs down, her expression an equal mix of dejection and concern. Even I can see that Mitsuru is fairly serious about this.

Saki speaks up. “So we're decided, then? The beach?”

“Is it the same one from the photos on the band room wall?” I ask her.

“The same...oh!” she exclaims. “I didn't know if you saw those or not.”

“Yeah, I was looking at them while I was waiting to pick you up from band the other day while you two were talking with Mrs. Sakamoto. It looked like you two were having a good time.”

“The band group took a field trip that year to the beach the week before the semester ended. We had a member of band that year, what was his name? Kazuo? Kazuki? Something like that. He was also in the photography club so he had this camera he was lugging everywhere taking pictures. I didn't know any of the pictures of the beach trip made it up on the picture wall though.”

That last statement surprises me. It seems obvious from the picture board itself and how thoughtfully everything was placed that it wasn't a spur of the moment project, and is probably something very important to the teacher at least...maybe there are so many pictures there that she didn't see it, or the novelty wears off and people don't check the board as much as the years go by.

“What day did you want to go? Sunday or Monday?”

“I say Sunday. That way we don't have to worry about getting back too early for school the next day.”

“Alright then,” I finish, blocking in that weekend on my internal calendar. I haven't been to the beach in a very long time, and I'm looking forward to doing it again.

And that's how the rest of the time continues. We make small talk about different things; the upcoming exams, the different places to see in the city the next time we go there, and other topics that have little to no relevance to anything concrete on the horizon, just letting the conversation ebb and flow where it may. We stay and talk until the light of the dying sun outside is replaced by the artificial glow of the lights of the town; the soft luminescence of windows close to the teahouse, and the harsher radiance of the streetlamps that work together diligently to hold back the encroaching darkness. We all have at least one more round of refills on our drinks, until one of us actually decides to look at our watch.

Once the decision is made to leave, half of us yawn. We settle our tab and step outside into the evening air, which is thankfully much cooler than it was a few hours ago. That should make the walk back up the hill to Yamaku a lot easier.

We try to have some small conversation as we start, but soon realize the best use of our time is to listen to the sounds of the summer in full swing.

The sound of the wind rustling in the trees.

The crickets chirping, and the constant drone of insects underlying everything else with a light buzzing.

Our own footsteps, echoing on the asphalt...and the clicking of Saki's cane.

Instead of holding my hand this time, she has her free arm wrapped around mine, and I can feel her actively leaning on me for support. I cast a quick glance ahead of us at Chisato and Mitsuru, having a quiet conversation between the two of them, and tilt my head towards Saki.

“How are you?” I ask quietly, so as not to involve the others.

“I think this might have been a bit much,” Saki says, and I can hear strain in her voice. “I thought I could handle this with no problems, but my ankle is really starting to hurt...”

The thought crosses my mind to call out to the other two, to let them know what's happening and ask for their help, but...I don't. Saki's just admitted she's having trouble, but by doing so she's confiding in me. She's trusting me here to help her...and I remember what happened the last time we were walking up this hill. Or more specifically, Chisato's reaction and the resulting fallout with Nurse. I don't want to see Saki hurt herself again, but at the same time, I don't want her to slump into the same depression that hit her so hard right as she's starting to come out of it.

She's trusting me to help her...and that help goes beyond just making sure she gets back to the school okay.

“We'll be back at the school in a few minutes,” I try and reassure her. “You'll be able to get off your feet then and rest.”

Saki leans her head against my shoulder, almost as if she's thanking me for not making my concerns known to Mitsuru and Chisato. “Maybe an ice pack too,” she says.

“Sure,” I say, patting the hand that's around my arm. “We can even sleep in.”

“Uh-uh. You better be at the pool tomorrow.”

I laugh. “Figures. Here I am worried about you and you still won't let me off the hook. You won't let me have one moment where I get to be the knight who rescues the princess?”

“Come on, didn't you ever play video games?” Saki chides me. “The princess is always in another castle.”

“See, I always wondered why she keeps letting herself get kidnapped. I mean, you know the saying 'fool me once,' right?”

“Maybe she likes the hero coming to rescue her.”

“Is he stupid or gallant because he keeps trying though?”

“I guess it depends on if you're the knight or the princess,” she finishes with a smile.

In another few minutes, we not only make it through the gate, but through a good portion of the school grounds and come to the plaza in front of the dorms. I see about half of the rooms in either dorm have lights on. Between that and the lights along the walkways, it should be easy enough to navigate the stairs leading up into the actual buildings.

Saki looks a little worse for wear as we all come to a stop to say our goodbyes, but seems in high spirits. “That was a fun date. We should do it again soon.”

“I'll try to get most of my studying done before the beach in two weeks,” Mitsuru says. “Chisato's quite persuasive.”

“Well, either you come with us or you'll have to wait until summer break to see me in my new bikini,” Chisato teases, giving Mitsuru a knowing smirk. He gets her right back by pretending to give it some serious consideration in his mind.

“Might be worth it.”

“Alright,” Chisato says theatrically. “I see how it is. And on that note, it's probably a good idea to end this. Thank you for the wonderful afternoon and evening. Ready to go, Saki?”

Saki hesitates slightly. “Give us a minute.”

Chisato pauses for a moment before smiling, but Mitsuru is the one who answers her. “Sure. Come on, Chisato, I'll walk you to the door.”

The two of them walk off, and after they're far enough away to be polite, I see Mitsuru bend down to kiss her. She accepts and wraps her arms around him, and they stay that way for a few long seconds.

“Thank you,” Saki says, drawing my attention away and back to her, “for letting me borrow your arm for the walk back.” There's a somberness to her words that lets me know not only was I right about earlier, but that I did the right thing.

“Anytime.”

Saki turns her body to face mine, and almost as fast as I can register what's happening, she brings a hand up to the back of my head and draws me down into a kiss. I feel her warm lips on mine as her fingers splay through my hair, and I'm momentarily overwhelmed by the sensation. At some point my arms go around her waist, and I let myself fall into it. This is different than the first time we kissed. The first time in the band room was shy, halting...and had a sense of timid frailty behind it. This one however, has non of those same doubts or hesitations.

When we break apart, Saki's giving me her trademark impish grin, but her eyes are much softer than they usually are when she gives that smile – two dark pools drinking in the light around us and only reflecting back mere points that sparkle.

“A princess has to give the knight his reward,” she says in a low tone. “Otherwise, he may not keep rescuing her.”

This time I initiate a kiss, but one that ends up being much quicker and more of a punctuation on the goodbyes we've said for the evening.

“You'll be at the pool tomorrow?” Saki asks.

“I thought you weren't giving me a choice.”

“I give you permission to skip for a day,” she says, and we both laugh.

----------------------------

The male dorm is rather quiet this evening as I make my way down the hall towards my room. I hear a few noises coming from behind a door, which have the characteristic sound of someone playing a video game. While I don't have one, it makes sense that other people who have lived here longer than me might have their own television and not have to bring out their system to the common area.
Last edited by Eurobeatjester on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
Eurobeatjester

Re: Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (Updated 5/11)

Post by Eurobeatjester »

I'm ten feet away from my door when I notice there's something taped to it. My brows knit as I try to make it out before I end up in front of it, thinking as to what it could possibly be. A new set of rules for the dorms, maybe? Otherwise, I can't think of anything that couldn't just be handed to me sometime during school hours.

As I reach up to grab it, I see that it has nothing to do with the dorms, but something much worse that threatens to suck out all the joy of the previous few hours.

In large bold letters for all the world to see are the words “SEE ME. URGENT. TELL NO ONE.

I hang my head and sigh. You've got to be kidding me. While there's no signature on the bottom, there's only one person I can think of that would have had both the intelligence and the ignorance to put this here.

Kenji.

I haven't seen him or spoken to him in a while, and since I started swimming in the morning, we never run into each other in the shared areas anymore. In my hand is the proof of why that's a good thing – I have no idea how many other people would have seen this note, or what they must be thinking.

I look down the hall to his door, closed and unwelcoming as ever. There's a part of me that wants to forget I ever saw this, and go on with my life, but there's another part that is fearful as to what he'll do to get my attention next time, if he wants it. I take a few steps and stand in front of his dorm room, my hand poised to knock.

knock knock knock

I wait a few seconds. I don't hear any noise coming from behind the door. I wait a few more seconds then knock again, this time louder.

knock knock knock

“Kenji, it's Hisao. Open the door.”

Still nothing.

With one last frustrated sigh, I pound on the door as loud as I can without pissing off anyone else in the dorm. The last thing I need is another, more legitimate letter on my door.

BANG BANG BANG

Jesus, he's supposed to be blind, not deaf. There's no way he didn't hear that, unless he isn't in his dorm room.

“Well, I tried,” I say aloud, more to myself than to anyone who may be on the other side of the door. Just as I'm turning around to leave, I hear movement from the other side; metal clicking and sliding, first at eye level, then at chest level, and finally the doorknob itself starts to rattle. Are those...extra locks?

Finally the door opens quickly, but only far enough to come to an abrupt halt as I catch a glimpse of a chain between the frame and door drawing taut. Guess he did install some additional security. Beneath the chain, Kenji sticks his head out in all its dignified glory, looking at my direction instead of at me directly.

“Who goes there?”

“It's me.”

“Who is 'me'?”

“Knock it off Kenji, you know perfectly well who it is. It's Hisao.”

“Oh!” he exclaims, surprise in his voice, but then his words take a dark turn. “How do I know it's you?”

“You put a note on my door to come see you.”

“Yeah, and anyone could have grabbed that note. Just because I wrote it for Hisao doesn't mean you're actually Hisao. You can never be too careful.”

I roll my eyes. Either this is important or it isn't, but I have the feeling it's the latter. “Guess you can't. And here I was hoping you had the money you owed me for the pizza.”

“Damnit,” Kenji frowns. “Yeah, I guess it is you. You're the only one who would know about that.”

“You don't owe money to anyone else?”

“Well, not for pizza. Let's just leave it at that.”

“Good idea,” I say, and mean it. “So what was so important that you had to leave something on my door?”

“Hey man, do you have any idea of the risk I took by leaving that there? I wouldn't have had to if you were there. I tried knocking earlier and there was no answer. I had no idea what had happened to you. I thought maybe you had been compromised, you know?”

No, I don't, but I'm not about to ask him to explain. “I went down into town with a few people.”

“Anyone I should know about?” he asks, making me feel incredulous...but the casual way he said it is disarming, in a way. Instead of arguing with him here about how rude a question that was, I might as well just tell him so we can get on with...whatever it is that brought me here in the first place.

“Nobody you need to worry about. Just four of us together.”

“Four...” he says, pondering it over in his mind for a few heartbeats and squinting hard at me. “Let me guess...you, another guy, and two girls?”

“What makes you say that?” I say, intrigued.

“You're too smart to let three women get you alone on their own terms, so it couldn't have been that. Plus women are too smart to go out with three men at a time, man. They know all about that 'divide and conquer' shit.”

I have no idea weather to be insulted or impressed at his reasoning. While the outcome was correct, the scope of the mental gymnastics needed to get from point A to point B makes my brain hurt just trying to imagine it.

“Right again. Can't sneak one past you, can I?”

“No way man. I was born with a sixth sense for this type of thing. It is both a gift and a curse. Where'd you go?”

There's a perversion in me that wants to see where this goes and what his reaction will be. “The Shanghai teahouse, why?”

“Wait wait wait...you were there on a date?” he says, his voice raising in shock. “I know all about that place. Nobody goes there just for tea, you know what I'm saying?”

Well, the cake was good too.

“Hold up a second,” he starts again, when I don't give him an answer. “I...wow...just wow,” he pauses, looking up at me and giving me a knowing grin. “I'm impressed. Not everyone has the balls to go undercover.”

“What?”

“What else could it be? It's brilliant, man. I've thought about doing it myself.”

“Why haven't you?”

He scoffs. “They know me, duh. Besides, you never see a general at the front lines, do you?”

“...no. No, you do not.”

Excellent,” Kenji says. “I help you out, and you help me. You tell me what they're up to, and I'll give you any intel you may want to know, you understand? I've kept tabs on this place for the last few years.”

I don't think he's kidding.

“I'll make sure to do that,” I answer, trying to sound as somber as possible. I have this mental image of the wall of his dorm room covered in newspaper clippings with a bunch of red threads making a spider web all over it. “Was that it?”

“Huh? Oh! No, that wasn't it. I have something for you.”

He ducks out of sight for a second, then comes back to the door holding a few letters. “Two girls came by earlier but you weren't here. I asked them what they wanted, and they said they had some mail for you.”

That would have most likely been Misha and Shizune. Probably more junk from my doctors that my parents felt they had to forward on to me. I've gotten plenty of them already since I've been here, in a mostly unopened heap on my desk next to the fishbowl. I take the stack and put it in my back pocket. I think about asking him if he opened any of them, but I don't think his delusions would stretch quite that far.

“Thanks,” I say, wondering what happens now. Having accomplished my urgent mission, I try to think of a way to end this conversation. Fortunately, Kenji's complete lack of social tact takes that task out of my hands.

“Later man,” he replies, not even waiting for me to acknowledge him before closing the door with a racket that goes on for probably a good fifteen seconds. I crumple the note he had left me in my fist.

That wasn't so hard.

In a few moments, I'm back in my dorm room getting ready to run down to the shower before sleeping for the night, wanting to keep my normal schedule of going to bed earlier now than I used to even though we don't have any classes tomorrow. I strip off my uniform shirt, simply pulling the tie knot down to make room for my head. Going through my evening ritual, I start emptying my pockets by dropping the stack of letters onto the desk. The displaced air catches the envelopes and fans them out a little showing three standard colors, and...one that catches my eye.

I pause for a second to grab the letter out of the pile, and focus on the neat handwriting on it...and within the span of a single breath's pause, I feel a tightness well up in my chest.

Iwanako.

<< Previous Chapter : Next Chapter >>
Last edited by Eurobeatjester on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
Blackmambauk

Post by Blackmambauk »

Perfect timing mate for you to update, since today I got myself the sort of job I want to do and getting decent pay for it.

Now time for my chapter commentary.

Nice quiet chapter overall that allowed a slice of life pacing, action and banter between Hisao, Saki and their other date companions.

Hisao was in fine form this chapter with his comments of being biased in regards to Noriko, very astute of you Hisao, very astute sir.

Love how Chisato and Mitsuru handle each other and the way they act as a couple. It's interesting to see how it compares to Hisao and Saki are at the moment, how they could be as this Act goes and also the parallels between the pairs.

I had suspected that Chisato wasn't into lemons herself, I mean a person who likes sugar free ice cream and acts the way she does would make her tastes in such things to probably be dryer and of more of a vanilla sort. Plus with Misturu she would have to bellow on his left since his left ain't so open to such ways :D. Liked the bit where she went timid when Mitsuru kissed her forehead, I think there's a pretty romantic girl there with the way she carries herself like a west end theatre.

Nice bit where Hisao does it again with his perchance of footing his mouth, there's definitely going to be foreboding stuff coming soon I think in that area and also with Saki's ankle as well I imagine.

There's actually is some waterproof pumps out there in the west at least, though form what I have seen on google search just there, I wonder if Chisato would want to show herself that much. Though seeing her at the pool would be interesting to see. Though the beach episode will no doubt see some Chisato stuff in all it's glory.

All in all really enjoyed how the four fared here, loved how they interacted together and how they contrasted with the other.

Nice bit with Hisao supporting Saki and how their kiss goes this time between the two.

Loved the whole princess and knight dialogue, the subtext and context in them speaks for itself and personally Hisao does make for a darling princess overall, it's a dynamic that I think is quite interesting and one as always i look foreward to seeing where it goes.

Good old Kenji to provide his strut and also end the chapter with... the letter.

This should make for an interesting development in the next chapter and where Hisao goes with it.

Blackmambauk
"I think the greatest skill a writer can have is simply having confidence in themselves to tell the story they want to tell, and to have confidence that their audience will make up their own minds on their story and characters." Blackmambauk

Favourite Route= All the Routes were done well. Each had it's strengths and weak points. But none were bad, a brilliant achievement by the KS Team.
YeahWay

Post by YeahWay »

Oh my god, people are still updating stories here!? This is amazing. I haven't gone through all of this yet, but I like what I've read so far!
Texaboose

Post by Texaboose »

Hmm... a really interesting chapter that had lots of build-up and hints for the future, but didn't feel like one of those frustrating build-up chapters. A lot of subtle, and not so subtle, pointers - Saki's reaction to the photos (and omission of the subject of the unknown girl),the degradation of her abilities, the immediate concerns with her foot and the Iwanako Letter. Then we've got some well-written development of Hisao's and Saki's relationship: the kiss, the hand-holding, the trust and support, as well as some extra development for Chisato and Mitsuru. You've done a really good job of wrapping all of these elements in to the chapter without if feeling like a subplot checklist and having it naturally flow into the scenario.
Throw in some really-fun-to-read dialog and you've left me a happy reader.

Only picked up one typo
Eurobeatjester wrote:I knew about Saki and Chisato from previous discussions and the photos I've seen in the bad room,
Although maybe this is foreshadowing of dark events that occurred in the band room ;)
Last edited by Texaboose on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading (and being thoroughly depressed by): After the Dream by brythain
Also currently reading (sans depression):
The Benefit of Hindsight by Puncyclopedia
Learning to Fly by Eurobeatjester
Flutter by Sharp-O
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

YeahWay wrote:Oh my god, people are still updating stories here!? This is amazing. I haven't gone through all of this yet, but I like what I've read so far!
We're still here :D We're a small but dedicated bunch :P
Blackmambauk wrote:Perfect timing mate for you to update, since today I got myself the sort of job I want to do and getting decent pay for it.
Grats! Hope it goes well for you.
Chisato
I'm glad you liked her here. She's rapidly becoming one of my favorite characters to write. Glad you picked up on the pump dilemma. They do make water resistant pumps, but they can be fairly expensive. People who wear the pumps can take them off, but then there's the whole hassle of needing to reimplant the needle somewhere on the body. I have a friend who has a pump; she says she can go swimming, but she usually plans her outings on days where she knows she's going to change her injection site so she can go for a few hours without it.

The princess and knight dialogue was something that just came out of my medically-saturated brain at 3 in the morning. I thought it would be cute to make a Mario joke so I ended up putting it in, and even named the chapter after the reference.

Kenji was just as hard to write as I thought he'd be. I don't think I'm going to use him too much going forward.

Had to throw in the letter eventually. Wouldn't be a route without it ;)
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Texaboose wrote: Only picked up one typo
Eurobeatjester wrote:I knew about Saki and Chisato from previous discussions and the photos I've seen in the bad room,
Although maybe this is foreshadowing of dark events that occurred in the band room ;)
Whoops! Silly gremlins!

:lol:

I actually start off each chapter with an outline or a checklist of what I want to accomplish in the chapter, storywise, then try to write it in such a way where it does hit those points. It means a lot to me that you think it flows naturally, because I'm always worried it can come off as forced. :/
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
Blackmambauk

Post by Blackmambauk »

Eurobeatjester wrote:
Reponses to your post.
We're still here :D We're a small but dedicated bunch
Indeed we are
Grats! Hope it goes well for you.
Thank you, I think it will go very well.
I'm glad you liked her here. She's rapidly becoming one of my favorite characters to write. Glad you picked up on the pump dilemma. They do make water resistant pumps, but they can be fairly expensive. People who wear the pumps can take them off, but then there's the whole hassle of needing to reimplant the needle somewhere on the body. I have a friend who has a pump; she says she can go swimming, but she usually plans her outings on days where she knows she's going to change her injection site so she can go for a few hours without it.

The princess and knight dialogue was something that just came out of my medically-saturated brain at 3 in the morning. I thought it would be cute to make a Mario joke so I ended up putting it in, and even named the chapter after the reference.
It shows in your writing that Chisato is your favourite, since her dialogue have the most to them and feel very naturally written I think. She's been my favourite character for this fic since the city chapter when she really became one of the USP's of this fic. Not that anyone else isn't interesting or written ell as Saki and Hisao are nailed spot on as well.

Ha figures thee princess and knight stuff was done with the aid of morphine for your brain. Some of the best writers around have done their best work while on some drug or drink.

But it also was IC for Hisao and Saki so the scene was very natural as well. Though I still reckon that Saki would make for a better knight than Hisao, or even the prince that was promised for the princess that is Hisao.

Yeah I bet Chisato would also worry on if her pump got loaded with the chorine water from the pool or salt water from the sea. Lord knows what that stuff might do to her when the sugar already has an impact already. Something gremlin like I bet would come out of it :lol:. Would make for a great image spot that of some kind.

Agree with what Texaboose said fully in the comments above. This chapter had loads of subtle details and felt very natural in how it was progressing the plot and characters.

Bad room does sound pretty exquisite for Hisao doesn't it :wink:.
Kenji was just as hard to write as I thought he'd be. I don't think I'm going to use him too much going forward. Had to throw in the letter eventually. Wouldn't be a route without it ;)
I thought you did Kenji justice here overall, he felt like he had a purpose in the scene and wasn't just there to pad it out. Which is often the big risk that comes from using Kenji for many writers on this site.

Of course, It's in the unwritten code of what bunch of stuff you must put into every route fic that is done on this site, that you use the Iwanako letter, that you make Hisao look like a twat at somepoint, that you do your bloody research, that you know how to write and all the other things that come with it etc.

Overall another great chapter and now the waiting game begins all over again.

timetravelzero

Post by timetravelzero »

So much hype, this chapter made up for the expectations. Can't wait for the next one, EBJ!
Akira>Lilly=Shizune>Emi>Hanako>Mutou=Nurse>Saki>Misha=Rika>Yuuko>Meiko=Miki>Suzu>Kenji>Rin=Iwanako>Jigoro>Nomiya>{POWERGAP}>Hisao Eh, my opinion anyway
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Chisato, Mitsuru, and myself are standing around Noriko,
Does "myself am standing" sound right to you?

Everything else I wanted to comment on has already been said by others - except I think Hisao was a bit needlessly dense when it came to Saki's violin problems...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Chisato, Mitsuru, and myself are standing around Noriko,
Does "myself am standing" sound right to you?

Everything else I wanted to comment on has already been said by others - except I think Hisao was a bit needlessly dense when it came to Saki's violin problems...
Did you quote a typo?
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

More a grammar issue than a typo I guess...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.