Re: Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (New NSFW Art 2/22)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

HoneyBakedHam

Re: Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (Updated 6/17)

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

Could be a matter of insecurity. Saki probably feels more comfortable telling it herself than someone just looking it up.

For instance, back in high school, I'd explain to some classmates I seem awkward because of my Asperger's. They'd look it up and just see it as a form of autism and figure I'm giving them malarkey because I'm smart in class or seemed normal at some times. Could've been easier to explain to them what I see through my view than just having someone read some generalized explanation.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

I'll give a more in depth reply later, because I'm at work right now.

But can I mention that as a writer, how happy I am that my writing skill has gotten to the point where it starts discussion like this?
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
brythain

Post by brythain »

Alpacalypse wrote:He's not exactly the most sensible protagonist ever. :wink:
Which is why he actually hasn't internalised and processed all the clues that EBJ has dropped in front of him during the story... :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Eurobeatjester wrote:But can I mention that as a writer, how happy I am that my writing skill has gotten to the point where it starts discussion like this?
Yes. Yes you can. :D
brythain wrote:Which is why he actually hasn't internalised and processed all the clues that EBJ has dropped in front of him during the story...
Fair 'nough.
Internet debates are fun :lol:
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
FelOnyx

Re: Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (New artwork 5/15)

Post by FelOnyx »

IT'S HERE!
Excellent as always.

Now that the praise is out of the way, it's productive discussion time!
Eurobeatjester wrote:Misha scowls at him. “You know, I know you just got out of surgery last week and your new implant probably hurts, but that's no reason to act like a jerk to all of us.”
Heh. I remember someone posted this in the headcanon thread.
HoneyBakedHam wrote:Could be a matter of insecurity. Saki probably feels more comfortable telling it herself than someone just looking it up.

For instance, back in high school, I'd explain to some classmates I seem awkward because of my Asperger's. They'd look it up and just see it as a form of autism and figure I'm giving them malarkey because I'm smart in class or seemed normal at some times. Could've been easier to explain to them what I see through my view than just having someone read some generalized explanation.
Yeah, that's one angle. It would be better for Saki herself to explain what it's like for herself rather than Hisao looking it up and making assumptions. Like, I wouldn't say it would be bad for him to look it up to gain a bit of information on the condition if he kept a level head and didn't make any assumptions, but Hisao being Hisao, he's not going to do that, especially in his current state of mind. He'll read up on it, panic, and say something really dumb next time he talks to Saki.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Yay! Off work so I have time to give a much longer reply. Thank you so much for reading it and the input so far!

Regarding Hisao's feelings of guilt or non guilt...everyone of you is somewhat right.

Saki's told Hisao - on more than one occasion - that if he has a question, all he has to do is ask her (and by extension, the other students at the school). He even had the courage to ask about Noriko's condition, even though she doesn't have one. Hisao's had several opportunities to ask Saki about her ataxia, but he hasn't.

I think the reasoning for this is two-fold.

The first is that up until this point in the plot, there's nothing that's happened that's really shown the negative effects of Saki's condition, whereas at this point in some of the official routes, either Hisao or the girl's disability has become at least a minor issue or a plot point forcing him to address it (Hanako's anxiety, Lilly's blindness, having to talk to Shizune either through Misha or pen-and-paper, etc) so he can push it out of his mind.

The second reason is that I believe at this point, he would still unconsciously be projecting his own insecurities about his condition onto Saki. He hasn't given her all the details about his condition either, and what he did tell her, he told her when she pressured him a bit at the festival. No matter how much you tell yourself you want to change your attitude towards something, it's not something that happens overnight. Maybe Hisao thinks that Saki would be uncomfortable talking in-depth about her condition because he isn't comfortable talking about his.

There's been plenty of things in conversation Hisao could pick up on if he was listening for them. But Saki hasn't actually told him anything about her condition, except it's a degenerative disease that attacks the nervous system. Saki's injury, combined with the comments from Nurse and Maeda, are finally making it so Hisao can't avoid thinking about it anymore. I personally think that the Master Of Romance was a bit overdone in the game, but that doesn't change the fact that I think it's very human and natural for Hisao to be dense at times...but there has to be a point where he wakes up and realizes what could be going on (you know, before making a comment about someone's dad being dead...)

Nurse's conversation about a buddy system makes Hisao realize that he doesn't actually trust Saki and the other girls yet, not enough to open up about the more unpleasant issues that could pop up with his condition, despite Chisato having no problems doing the same. It's not something he even realized he was doing, which makes it worse.

So now that all these things are something he has to face, he feels guilty - not because he's now curious about her condition, but because despite Saki's multiple reassurances that she's okay with the subject, he hasn't asked her about it except the one time. He can't bring himself to ask it of her now either, because of this guilt and because Saki's reaction to her injury could mean she really isn't as solid mentally as she tries to put up. If he doesn't ask her, it means he doesn't trust her when she says he can.

It's a combination of guilt, concern, and wanting to do something but not knowing what to do.

The final twist for him, is that he's battling with the idea that there's no real logical reason that he shouldn't look up her condition. You could justify it as wanting to know what to do in case a situation comes up, but if you were on the receiving end of that, wouldn't you feel just a little bit hurt or that the person went behind your back to learn it instead of just asking you directly?

It's a very complex set of emotions Hisao is feeling right now, and I wanted to try and convey that.
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Well first of all, you don't have to guess about Hisao's thoughts - you can decide his reasoning.

But I'm glad that you don't intend to go for cheap drama by handing Hisao some idiot ball :-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I'm glad that you don't intend to go for cheap drama by handing Hisao some idiot ball
Agreed.

And yeah, it does come across that the mix of emotions Hisao is feeling is complex. That's probably why we spent the best part of a page discussing it :lol:
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Well first of all, you don't have to guess about Hisao's thoughts - you can decide his reasoning.

But I'm glad that you don't intend to go for cheap drama by handing Hisao some idiot ball :-)
Wait...I thought Hisao WAS the ball. :?
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Well first of all, you don't have to guess about Hisao's thoughts - you can decide his reasoning.

Would it be bad if I mentioned I haven't entirely decided on his reasoning yet? I tried to write it one way, and then I tried to write it the other and it just didn't come out the way I wanted it to. :(

And yeah, I don't think that a moment of sheer stupidity on the part of Hisao is bad, as long as it's not the driving force behind the story. Some routes are better at that than others.
Blank Mage wrote:
believe in yourself
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

loving this fic so far, looking forward to the next part!
One Shots - My stories thread.
rimvydasm

Post by rimvydasm »

i love this fic so far,and i really like Saki,too bad she wasn't in KS,but at least we have this :)
Lilly master race!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Eurobeatjester wrote:Would it be bad if I mentioned I haven't entirely decided on his reasoning yet? I tried to write it one way, and then I tried to write it the other and it just didn't come out the way I wanted it to. :(
No. It will only become bad, if you something you write will become illogical due to your changing your mind afterwards. You'll have to keep in mind all possible motivations and make sure that his actions continue to make sense no matter what you decide later.
I think this is much harder to do than just sitting down and deciding beforehand, but it can certainly be done.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
EMMSixteenA4

Post by EMMSixteenA4 »

Finally got a good chance to sit down and read the latest chapter. Excellent. I'm really looking forward to seeing the nightmare of the internet diagnosis at work for somebody like Hisao.
That guy who arrived three years late to the party, and is looking around piecing together what exactly he missed.