Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (Updated/New Art 5/26)

WORDS WORDS WORDS
AlexFDSR

Re: Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (Updated/New Art 5/26)

Post by AlexFDSR » Tue May 26, 2020 12:18 pm

Amazing, as always. The emotions were real and believable, an excellent read.
If Iwanako had a route, would the tagline be "Can you find it in your heart?"

calcifer

Re: Learning To Fly - A Saki pseudo-route (Updated 5/26)

Post by calcifer » Tue May 26, 2020 2:24 pm

Another great chapter Euro! On one hand marriage right after high school is such an anime trope, on the other I can see how it fits in this story and I'm sure you'll handle it excellently :)
Eurobeatjester wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:16 am
I bring a hand up to my mouth, my mind whirling. “That would be true, wouldn’t it? But, even if it is true, we wouldn’t be able to until we were twenty, and...and holy shit, am I actually talking about this?”
I was kind of curious about this one (why twenty?) so I looked it up. Apparently, in Japan the girl must be 16, the boy 18 and they both need parental consent until they are at least 20. How novel...
Shizune = Rin > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
FluffandCrunch wrote: Every day is a gift, every hour is golden, every minute is a diamond. Life is wonderful, if you have the courage to live it.

Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester » Tue May 26, 2020 2:48 pm

calcifer wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:24 pm
I was kind of curious about this one (why twenty?) so I looked it up. Apparently, in Japan the girl must be 16, the boy 18 and they both need parental consent until they are at least 20. How novel...
Yep, same thing with the medical aspect. Age of adulthood in Japan is 20, not 18 like many other countries.

However, parental consent only requires one parent from each side to approve it and not both parents on each side. That's why it would be a long engagement if it were to happen. :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

The next chapter is going to be very long, probably the longest one yet. It's meant to be the climax of the story, so it might take me a while to write (as if my normal schedule wasn't sporadic enough)

4 chapters left :shock:
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself

calcifer

Post by calcifer » Tue May 26, 2020 2:53 pm

Eurobeatjester wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:48 pm
However, parental consent only requires one parent from each side to approve it and not both parents on each side. That's why it would be a long engagement if it were to happen. :)
The whole consent thing doesn't make sense from a western perspective, but as long as they have it I can understand keeping it at one parent each. Imagine the drama otherwise :)
Eurobeatjester wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:48 pm
The next chapter is going to be very long, probably the longest one yet. It's meant to be the climax of the story, so it might take me a while to write (as if my normal schedule wasn't sporadic enough)

4 chapters left :shock:
Really looking forward to it!
FluffandCrunch wrote: Every day is a gift, every hour is golden, every minute is a diamond. Life is wonderful, if you have the courage to live it.

Razoredge

Post by Razoredge » Tue May 26, 2020 4:26 pm

That was another great chapter, Euro, as always. I'm stunned by your ability to maintain a great writing in every chapter, that's awesome.

I'm agree with Calcifer, it was a trope, but it fits great with the story.

Once again, that was a very pleasant reading, as always.
Lilly = Akira > Miki = Hanako > Emi > Rin > Shizune

Stuff I'm currently writing : Beyond the haze : A Lilly Satou pseudo-route, Razor's One Shots & misc. & Sakura Blossom

Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester » Wed May 27, 2020 5:36 am

Took care of some tidying up some things that I should have fixed earlier.

All of the broken artwork should be fixed, the Table of Contents has been cleaned up, and all the broken/missing chapter links should work. If anything isn't, please let me know!
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself

Blackmambauk

Post by Blackmambauk » Wed May 27, 2020 9:06 am

Another fine chapter mate, a lot went on here even though the main thrust of it was something we didn't see due to it taking place outside of Hiaso's pov for very understandable watson and doyle reasons.

Even though i would love to have seen that conversation since i am so fond of both and because they are truly the best part of Learning to Fly, it works just as well knowing what words were said, how the two would have spoken their feelings, regrets etc since you have done such a bang up job of characterizing, writing and portraying both girls over this wonderful fic, on the subject of Kayako and how important she was to both girls and why they reacted to it the way they did etc. that you have earned the reaction we get of the two saying we are good. With the realistic implication that while the chat has cleared the air and the two clearly want to still be friends. There is still work to be done before the healing is completed and both know one chat won't fix what was broken.

The stuff between Hisao and Noriko was very well done and i really liked how the two converse on how they feel about everything that has happened between Saki and Chisato, on the upcoming graduation and on the topic of Saki and her parents.

Now onto the big point that was talked about between the two of them. I am ignorant when it comes to law of consent in japan other than you can't drink until you are 20 and knowing how conservative japan is in general, i generally thought that likely extends to stuff like smoking, marriage age etc outside of driving which i remember to be 17 like in the uk. But this is interesting that if Hisao was married to Saki he would be able to make medical decisions for her and not her father. which Hisao being a teenager and likely to see this as his golden opportunity would grasp at it.

At the same time, this doesn't surprise me that japan has this sort of legality to it, since its still very much a patriarchy society along with if and when Saki's condition deteriorates to the point that she may need someone to make medical decisions for her. Then Hisao would be the one she would want to make that decision. But i wonder on if Saki would be comfortable in making that decision, if she maybe would have feelings inside of this might take her agency away from her. Her decision etc. i'm interested to see where this goes and how you handle it mate as it's certainly one that i think will really help the climax of the story.

Rest of the chapter was a nice final evening out between the famous five of Yamaku and of Hisao and Saki getting some nice prizes from the arcade, oh days spent at the arcade are something i always treasure, you simply don't see them as much or int he same way anymore as they were like back in the 90s.

I really cannot believe we are at the cusp of the story and the next one will conclude what we have all been following for nearly seven years now. It's been such a epic journey and to nearly reach the final destination now is both heartwaming and a little sad in that we are nearly at the end of this wonderful story that has seen such brilliant portrayal of everyone in it and the subject and themes that have been explored in it.

Can't wait for it mate and i know the wait will be well worth it as always.

Blackmambauk
"I think the greatest skill a writer can have is simply having confidence in themselves to tell the story they want to tell, and to have confidence that their audience will make up their own minds on their story and characters." Blackmambauk

Favourite Route= All the Routes were done well. Each had it's strengths and weak points. But none were bad, a brilliant achievement by the KS Team.

calcifer

Post by calcifer » Wed May 27, 2020 9:12 am

Blackmambauk wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:06 am
At the same time, this doesn't surprise me that japan has this sort of legality to it, since its still very much a patriarchy society along with if and when Saki's condition deteriorates to the point that she may need someone to make medical decisions for her. Then Hisao would be the one she would want to make that decision. But i wonder on if Saki would be comfortable in making that decision, if she maybe would have feelings inside of this might take her agency away from her. Her decision etc. i'm interested to see where this goes and how you handle it mate as it's certainly one that i think will really help the climax of the story.
That's a great point about agency, I hope euro will explore that at least a little bit.
Blackmambauk wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:06 am
if and when Saki's condition deteriorates to the point that she may need someone to make medical decisions for her
Realistically, there is no if, only when. All types of spinocerebellar ataxia are degenerative, there is no real treatment and it almost always results in an early death :(

EDIT: Looking back, euro did bring up Saki's agency a few years back:
Eurobeatjester wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:33 am
No matter how bad things get, no matter how many things you lose control over, suicide is the one thing you still have control over.

It's not the idea of killing yourself that you take comfort in, it's the sense of agency the ability to make a choice gives.

Hanako Fancopter

Post by Hanako Fancopter » Wed May 27, 2020 11:16 pm

Feels kind of like an in-between chapter. I am glad to see the Saki-Chisato drama fading away to focus back on Hisao and Saki scheming to stay together. That's the real conflict I'm still here to see resolved. Also I did notice your little shout out lol.
An Unusual Friendship (Misha x Hanako Route)
Riposte (Rika Mini-Route)
One-Shots Thread (Random Smut/Meme Stories)

EternityDragon

Post by EternityDragon » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Been around for some time now, and even though the waits between chapters are frustrating at times (the lockdown has left me with many an afternoon on which I’ve had nothing to do) I can say with confidence that every wait has been more than worth it. Here’s to keeping up the absolutely amazing writing!
Also, this may be somewhat irrelevant, but interestingly enough there have been some ads floating around on Quora advertising clinical trials seeking to find ways to mitigate the effects of SCA. Perhaps as we march into a future that those a mere handful of decades ago could barely dream of, people having to cope with this disease might just be able to see a glimmer at the end of the tunnel...

SuzuSuzuki_bestgirl

Post by SuzuSuzuki_bestgirl » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:13 am

My god this pseudo-route is incredible, super excited for the next update. It's so cool to see people are still writing fanfic for a game that was released in 2012. Really shows how much this game strikes and stays with people.

Greatmoro

Post by Greatmoro » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:42 am

Wow! Just wow! I discovered this pseudo route almost by accident after rereading the Akira pseudo route and I have read this in to days and I am completely in awe of this work, the characters are some of the best written ones I have ever seen and it's incredible how relatble they are to me, not because I've been through what they are going through at the moment but because Saki's way of handling things is exactly how I would and I can relate so much to her struggle.

Now I'm waiting anxiously fo the next update because I'm so curious as to what the climax will end up taking Hisao, Saki and the rest of their friends.

Keep up the good work!!

Sincerely,

a new fan!

ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:18 pm

This pseudo route has kept me enthralled since the start. I’ve been reading it on and off for the better part of a year now and can’t wait to see where it goes. Keep up the great work. I honestly don’t want to see it end, but at they say, all good things come to an end.

I had actually started a fan fic myself, extending Hanako’s good route past the ending in the VN. Got about 7 chapters in, then life took over and I haven’t been able to get back to it for a few years now. May just start over on it as I didn’t really care for the way it was going then, anyway.

Who knows.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.