The Yamaku Library - The fan fiction archive -23/09/14

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mirage_GSM

Re: The great fan fiction archive

Post by Mirage_GSM »

ProfAllister wrote:(Side note: The Great And Powerful Archivist may want to consider including "Major Characters" as a category).
I'll consider doing this in the future, but probably only for those stories without pairings or with a third person narrator.
As for pairings, I'm already only including major ones, so if a story about an OC X Shizune mentions Naomi and Natsume holding hands once, that will not be included. In the same vein, Helbereth's Tomorrows Doom is just Hisao X OC and doesn't mention OC X OX, OC X OC or even OC X OC.
Also, realised that I failed to mention another bit - on the subject of serialised one-shots (i.e., a series of one-shots that maintain some degree of continuity). It makes sense for them to "sort of" break the strict rule of alphabetisation because, in many cases, the only distinction between serialised one-shots and a single consolidated story thread is the placement of the posts. Scattering the pieces alphabetically would make about as much sense as chopping Tomorrow's Doom into its 41 separate chapters and seeding them throughout the entire archive based on the chapter titles. So consolidating them into a single entry based on continuity seems to be a reasonable compromise.
One Shots that are serialized are already collected in one entry, e.g.

"Eminako series" by BlackWaltzTheThird (ongoing, over 20.000 words as of Aug/13)
PoV: Emi/Hanako; Pairings: Emi X Hanako (platonic); Begins: before Act 1
Remarks:

Other one shots sharing the same continuity but not strictly part of the main narrative could be added to the same entry, but that will cause problems if they have a different narrator, so I'd probably put the neccessary information under remarks:

Waiting by BlackWaltzTheThird (completed, 1.001 words)
PoV: Rin; Pairings: Hisao X Rin; Begins: during the festival
Remarks: part of the "Eminako series" continuity

@Comrade: consider this a fix for this entry when putting it up on the main page.

@Helbereth: Are your stories all part of the same continuity? If so, there's no problem and they'll be in the same entry.

And with that, I'm signing off for the weekend. I'll only have mobile internet access and probably won't post much. 8)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Mirage_GSM wrote: @Helbereth: Are your stories all part of the same continuity? If so, there's no problem and they'll be in the same entry.
Giving it some thought, it's possible The Kenji Files, and Tomorrow's Doom could be in concurrent worlds, but I never planned it that way. Saying so wouldn't change anything about either story as written, and nothing in either story's framework says the other couldn't happen at the same time. That would, however, mean that TD takes place ina pseudo-reality of sorts in which there are multinational paramilitary organizations, and crossovers with fantasy worlds. That could mean that the pipe-dream Aiko shares with Hisao about running such a conglomerate might not be entirely far-fetched; I'm not actually sure if that would be good or bad... fun to think about, though.

The shorts, on the other hand, are definitely from diverging worlds, and the Reunion story was based on the good Lilly end, which is totally out the window by this point in TD. In the case of the shorts, though, since they're already under a single header--I found it: Helbereth's Short Shorts--Listing them all under that header would just make it simpler.
Numb

Post by Numb »

Just going to do the formal author thing and say any and all fan fictions posted by me have instant permissions to be posted here. I kind of implied it in the comments of "Rooftops", but I just want to confirm. Also, I'm not sure if you need it at this early stage, but "Blossom"s word count as is on the thread is currently ~10,000. Given my fairly frequent updates though, I don't think there is much point to updating my word count until the completion of each act.
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
Hanako Nakai

Post by Hanako Nakai »

As I promised, here it is:

Code: Select all

[b][url="http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9037"]Rebirth[/url][/b]–Epilogue by
[b]Hanako Nakai[/b](ongoing, word count pending)
[b]PoV:[/b]Hanako, [spoiler]occasional Hisao Moments[/spoiler];
[b]Pairings:[/b]Hisao x Hanako,[spoiler]Kenji x ????[/spoiler]
;[b]Begins:[/b]4 years after Graduation
[b]Remarks: [/b][spoiler]Sex, and Miracles :lol: [/spoiler]
Kenji's partner will be a surprise, so I have not stated who "she" is. :lol:
ImageImage
You should be a protagonist of a new story :lol:

Am I really that dense?
TheGoatman

Post by TheGoatman »

Road to Tokyo is finished, status in the archive says it's still ongoing.
I'm just a rusty old goat and a poor writer by anyone's standards, so no need to take my advice to heart, and when you do, take a handful of salt with it.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Fixed the code for that and removed the spoiler tags: Warnings are there to be read not to be hidden, and PoV is no plot point

Code: Select all

[b][url=http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9037]Rebirth[/url][/b] – Epilogue by [b]Hanako Nakai[/b] (ongoing, word count pending)
[b]PoV:[/b]Hanako, Hisao; [b]Pairings:[/b]Hisao x Hanako;[b]Begins:[/b]after Hanako good end
[b]Remarks: [/b]Sex, non-standard setting: magic

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hanako Nakai

Post by Hanako Nakai »

@mirage_GSM I stated it as miracle basically it won't be called magic, due to the fact that it only involves a couple of miraculous recoveries, it has a spoiler tag due to it involving Kenji and his unknown partner. :lol:
ImageImage
You should be a protagonist of a new story :lol:

Am I really that dense?
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Well, if we don't even know who that partner is, why should the pairing be included at this time? And why should such non-information be in spoiler tags?
And either it's magic or it is luck, coincidence, modern medicine, whatever you want to call it - you decide as the author - but "miracles" are magic as well.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Lianam

Post by Lianam »

Hey Comrade, are you ever going to continue the "Zombies" story? Just curious.
Ce ne sont pas une signature.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Here are my stories to add:

Emi's Winter Break – Epilogue by griffon8 (complete, ca. 6.200 words)
PoV: Emi; Pairings: Hisao x Emi; Begins: after Act 1 Emi end
Remarks:

Questions With And Without Answers – Epilogue by griffon8 (complete, 541 words)
PoV: Hisao; Pairings: Hisao x Rin; Begins: after Rin good end
Remarks:

The Decision – by griffon8 (complete, 1511 words)
PoV: Lilly; Pairings: Hisao x Lilly; Begins: during Lilly route Act 4
Remarks:

The Most Surprising Thing – by griffon8 (complete, ca. 10.000 words)
PoV: Shizune; Pairings: Shizune x Hanako; Begins: after Act 1 Lilly end
Remarks: Prologue is Act 1 as seen from Shizune's perspective. Sex in epilogue. Art from the Shimmie added.

I'm actually surprised that last one came out that long. It didn't seem so when I was writing it.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Lianam wrote:Hey Comrade, are you ever going to continue the "Zombies" story? Just curious.
Yeah, I already started the next chapter, I'm just having trouble getting into a writing mood. I also want to finish it and start something more serious.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Just had a thought on something that might be useful for categorization. I think it should probably be noted somewhere in a fic's description whether it was written based on the Beta, Act 1, or Full release of KS. This can generally be determined by original posting date (with a few exceptions, like Closure), so should be relatively easy to do.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

There are no fics based on the beta, because the beta is basically the finished VN plus a few typos, and also because most of the beta testers don't even write fanfiction here.
If a fic is based on Act 1, that info is already in the section "Begins", e.g. "after Act1 - Hanako end".
If a fic is a prequel or begins sometime during Act 1, it is for all purposes I can think of irrelevant whether or not it was written before or after the full release, since events usually begin to diverge pretty much immediately.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Mirage_GSM wrote:There are no fics based on the beta, because the beta is basically the finished VN plus a few typos, and also because most of the beta testers don't even write fanfiction here.
*nods*
If a fic is based on Act 1, that info is already in the section "Begins", e.g. "after Act1 - Hanako end".
Yes, but I'm not sure it's clear (it wasn't to me :oops:) when a fic that begins after Act 1 is based only on Act 1 being available (i.e. were written before the full release and not after). What I infer from this is that all fics currently in the archive that are designated as beginning "after Act 1" fall into that category. Is that correct?
If a fic is a prequel or begins sometime during Act 1, it is for all purposes I can think of irrelevant whether or not it was written before or after the full release, since events usually begin to diverge pretty much immediately.
I would say that's only true if the story is OC-centric. Otherwise, there's a high likelihood of continuity clash.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Blasphemy

Post by Blasphemy »

Well in case of "Closure" it currently can cause some confusion:
PoV: Hisao/Misha; Pairings: Hisao X Misha; Begins: after Shizune end
I found out about that fanfic via this archive. I rather quickly realized that this most likely cannot be based on the Shizune ending, nor did certain events take place (MIsha's confessing to Shizune) and took a look at the date at that point (s.th. I now always do beforehand). Yet, for some time I simply wasn't sure in which exact KS environment this piece actually belonged. It makes you wonder about the timeline at times, for example where Shizune was having a speech when that didn't take place in her good route (not that we know of anyways) and said route ended with graduation.

In the end the current description "Begins: after Shizune end" doesn't do the job for me. "after Act 1 - Shizune end" also wouldn't quite work as, just like Dewelar says, people won't be aware if the stuff was written with or without the KS Act 2-4 context in mind. Misha's being lesbian/bi is a good example. If Misha place part of a FanFic then we'd probably expect her to act in a certain way at times, for example when someone makes a joke about her close relationship to Shizune. As far as "Closure" goes: Your thoughts about Hisao's and Misha's newly strengthened friendship may differ. Like wouldn't Misha be less interested in an actual relationship when she's potentially lesbian and thus just keep it as a friendship?