Rooftops (An Emi Story)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Numb

Re: Rooftops (An Emi Story)

Post by Numb »

Lianam wrote:
Lloyd Snow wrote: Hell, I am still in my teens, and I have had gray hair problems!
Wait, really? How much stress are you under? :shock:
Copious amounts of writing to boost my abilities (I spend around five hours a day writing), learning Japanese (around two or three hours a day) and dealing with school.
Eight hours of my free time spent learning, plus the six and a half I spend in classes every day means that I have a fourteen hour work day every weekday, and I continue my learning over the weekend. It's all my own fault, but I work a LOT better under pressure anyway :lol:
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
cosmicmustache

Post by cosmicmustache »

Your writing style is more a jumpy poetic than smooth narrative. It works okay for something this short, but much longer and it can be too disjointed.

Someone commented about not liking how so many of the short stories on the forum have a sad ending. I don't think most of us write with the 'intent' of a sad ending, the story takes the path it takes and we write it the way it comes to us. I have one short with a melancholy end and one with a happy end, so I know they can go on either tack.

That said, I'm curious as to the intent of your piece here. Did you, indeed, start out with a plan for a sad story? How'd the story come to you--all at once or over time? Did you stay 'surface level' with the story on purpose?

Overall, an interesting read that had me wanting more depth to the narrative--left me with a lot of questions.

Thanks for the share!

-Blessings
CM
COSMICMUSTACHE

Don't let your life become your prison.

“Anyone who falls in love is searching for the missing pieces of themselves. So anyone who’s in love gets sad when they think of their lover. It’s like stepping back inside a room you have fond memories of, one you haven’t seen in a long time.” - Haruki Murakami (Kafka on the Shore)
Numb

Post by Numb »

cosmicmustache wrote:Your writing style is more a jumpy poetic than smooth narrative. It works okay for something this short, but much longer and it can be too disjointed.

Someone commented about not liking how so many of the short stories on the forum have a sad ending. I don't think most of us write with the 'intent' of a sad ending, the story takes the path it takes and we write it the way it comes to us. I have one short with a melancholy end and one with a happy end, so I know they can go on either tack.

That said, I'm curious as to the intent of your piece here. Did you, indeed, start out with a plan for a sad story? How'd the story come to you--all at once or over time? Did you stay 'surface level' with the story on purpose?

Overall, an interesting read that had me wanting more depth to the narrative--left me with a lot of questions.

Thanks for the share!

-Blessings
CM
Gotta say, nice surprise seeing Rooftops is still getting attention.

Anyway, to answer your question, this was written late at night on the edge of consciousness in about ten minutes, so completely unplanned and I was too tired at the time to have any real intentions. If I recall correctly, I wrote it the same night I finished reading "That Guy's Emilogue", hence the Emi pneumonia death and Rin cancer. I'm sorry if you feel like the ending is empty, I did actually have more at the end that I removed because it was simply tragedy for the sake of tragedy and the writing itself wasn't great. The original ending actually had Hisao wake up in a hospital room with nobody around, much like when he was told he was going to Yamaku, only this time he doesn't have a second chance of happiness. I felt like that would leave too many open ends if I kept it, so I cut it out. I don't have the original file anymore, so that ending is gone forever.

Hopefully that answers everything, I honestly don't have the answers to questions about this piece due to the awkward writing conditions :lol:
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route