Developments (Post-Lilly NE) [Complete, 2015-08-11]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Leaty

Re: Developments (Post-Lilly Neutral End) - Ch.58 posted 4/1

Post by Leaty »

Alpacalypse wrote:Yeah, nice to see new stories cropping up. Who knows, maybe we'll see the next Developments or MTtB later in the year. :wink:

Y'all don't even know.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Alpacalypse wrote:...I've been told many times by a friend of mine that K-ON!'s best part is the opening sequence, so I'm not hugely eager on that front. :lol:
Heh...as I mentioned before, it's a very light-and-fluffy anime, so if that's not your thing then you probably should avoid it (the music's good, though). However Semisoft's Ritsu route has nothing to do with K-On! Ritsu. In that one she's a tennis player.
Dewelar wrote:It's funny, because we had a pretty big drought of new stories last year, but it seems like a fair crop of interesting ones start up recently. Hope springs eternal!
Yeah, nice to see new stories cropping up. Who knows, maybe we'll see the next Developments or MTtB later in the year. :wink:
That would be pretty cool, since MTtB has officially become my favorite currently-updating KS fic. After the Dream was by far the highlight among new 2014 stories, but otherwise it seems like everything was either a one-shot or got abandoned. I'm probably forgetting something, though.
And maybe I'll actually finish the fanfic I was writing, then procrastinated on writing for 2 months, but that's debatable
Don't give up yet -- you never know when inspiration will strike :D!
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Dewelar wrote:Don't give up yet -- you never know when inspiration will strike :D!
Never said I was giving up - I just have "more important" things to do, like study and attempt to not f*** up at Starcraft II, try and get a 1500 point kill in the Attack on Titan Tribute Game and finally finish watching Gundam 00 because another friend won't stop nag- I mean, recommended it to me - you know, maybe that's what the hell I've been up to with my life...
As for the inspiration, I did manage to get a plan typed up for it, just kinda lost my focus on the whole thing and will *hopefully* get it back when I get another spark of determination.

Sorry for derailing the thread a little :oops:
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

When I was thinking about starting a fanfic, one of my ideas was to write a route for her, but then I saw one already existed.
You can safely ignore that one - it's not even finished properly.
Also, if someone else wants to continue...er...developing one of my threads, I would be very interested to see where they take it.
Threre are quite few authors I'd trust to take Noriko's story anywere meaningful...
Alpacalypse wrote:I am actually aware of that one, but I never had much interest in reading it (I read Semisoftcheese's Saki route continuation and didn't like it all that much), and I've been told many times by a friend of mine that K-ON!'s best part is the opening sequence, so I'm not hugely eager on that front.
Well, that Ritsu has very little in common with the one from K-On.
Edit: beaten to it...
It's the kind of thing I can picture myself lying sick in bed and just watching for the fluffy (time).
I agree. Sadly it's been copied so much that by the time I eventually saw it, it was almost ruined for me :?
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
brythain

Post by brythain »

dewelar wrote:Also, if someone else wants to continue...er...developing one of my threads, I would be very interested to see where they take it.
One of my dreams... collaborating with, or building on something by, dewelar—yes, I would be very interested to see where it gets taken. :D
dewelar wrote:After the Dream was by far the highlight among new 2014 stories, but otherwise it seems like everything was either a one-shot or got abandoned.
Awww... I must have entered the arena during a lull season. I was looking at these immense edifices of prose and wondering if I dared. I had an edifice complex. Now you know why AtD was written. :D

That said, I'm looking forward to finding out what happens to Misha and Shizune. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
When I was thinking about starting a fanfic, one of my ideas was to write a route for her, but then I saw one already existed.
You can safely ignore that one - it's not even finished properly.
Yeah, but I think when I started Developments it was still ongoing.
Also, if someone else wants to continue...er...developing one of my threads, I would be very interested to see where they take it.
Threre are quite few authors I'd trust to take Noriko's story anywere meaningful...
*nods* I can count the ones who are currently active on one hand.
It's the kind of thing I can picture myself lying sick in bed and just watching for the fluffy (time).
I agree. Sadly it's been copied so much that by the time I eventually saw it, it was almost ruined for me :?
It was actually one of the first ones I watched because of its KS connection (pre-KS, my anime experience was pretty much limited to Sailor Moon and DBZ), so it worked out better for me, I guess :).
brythain wrote:
dewelar wrote:Also, if someone else wants to continue...er...developing one of my threads, I would be very interested to see where they take it.
One of my dreams... collaborating with, or building on something by, dewelar—yes, I would be very interested to see where it gets taken. :D
Once the story proper is done, drop me a PM. We'll talk :wink:.
That said, I'm looking forward to finding out what happens to Misha and Shizune. :)
:)
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
YutoTheOrc

Post by YutoTheOrc »

dewealer wrote:She needs...me.
Gotham needs me 8)
dewealer wrote:forces me think 
I believe you mean, forces me to think?

Once again excellent chapter! really enjoyed the character progression with Hanako! As for bringing in Ritsu (very tastefully I might add). Excellent, I eagerly anticipate more! :D
kaserkin

Post by kaserkin »

This is my first comment on this forum, and I wanted it to be on this thread. I've only recently discovered KS, and I enjoyed it immensely. Your fic is great, dewelar. It's the perfect following to Lilly's neutral end (After the Dream is also pretty good in that sense though). The writing is superb, and you perfectly manage to make all the characters feel real, even the background characters and the OCs (even if I disagree with what Ritsu says about Hayashi. He may only talk about books, but he's still bestbackgroundcharacter :D).

You've also inspired me to finally write down a fanfic I've had in my mind for a while, and I hope I'll manage to write something as good as Developments someday.

Anyway, I am really looking foward for the the last few chapters!
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

YutoTheOrc wrote:
dewealer wrote:She needs...me.
Gotham needs me 8)
*laughs*
dewealer wrote:forces me think 
I believe you mean, forces me to think?
Yep, fixed, thanks!
Once again excellent chapter! really enjoyed the character progression with Hanako! As for bringing in Ritsu (very tastefully I might add). Excellent, I eagerly anticipate more! :D
Thanks again!
kaserkin wrote:This is my first comment on this forum, and I wanted it to be on this thread.
Welcome, and I'm honored :D.
I've only recently discovered KS, and I enjoyed it immensely. Your fic is great, dewelar. It's the perfect following to Lilly's neutral end (After the Dream is also pretty good in that sense though).
Yeah, brythain is one of my favorites as well -- even if some of his stuff goes in directions I'd rather it didn't, I have no quibble with the quality of the writing :).
The writing is superb, and you perfectly manage to make all the characters feel real, even the background characters and the OCs (even if I disagree with what Ritsu says about Hayashi. He may only talk about books, but he's still bestbackgroundcharacter :D).
Ha! It's that cooler-than-thou vibe he gives off, isn't it?
You've also inspired me to finally write down a fanfic I've had in my mind for a while, and I hope I'll manage to write something as good as Developments someday.
Cool -- looking forward to seeing it!
Anyway, I am really looking foward for the the last few chapters!
Thanks, and glad to have you aboard.
forgetmenot

Re: Developments, Chapter 58 (Part 2)

Post by forgetmenot »

dewelar wrote:"There isn't even anyone to talk about music with around here – at least not rock music. I've heard this one girl playing the violin, but just classical stuff. She's probably never even heard of Mik Kaminski or Robby Steinhardt."
It's weird how excited I get about these little references.

Sorry I haven't been commenting much. Not really much to say, other than good job. I'm glad you left a few loose ends to tie up. Nothing worse than denouement for denouement's sake (lookin' at you, Lord of the Rings).

Also there is something about Noriko that lends itself well to brooding. But in the end, I seriously hope she doesn't regret her lifestyle up until this point. Because, let's face it, Noriko is awesome.
kaserkin

Post by kaserkin »

dewelar wrote:
The writing is superb, and you perfectly manage to make all the characters feel real, even the background characters and the OCs (even if I disagree with what Ritsu says about Hayashi. He may only talk about books, but he's still bestbackgroundcharacter :D).
Ha! It's that cooler-than-thou vibe he gives off, isn't it?
Probably, yeah :D
I also noticed he's barely used in fan fiction, which is strange since he can be tied to popular characters without much effort, since he's in the Lit Club with Suzu and he sits next to Hanako. Most of Hisao's classmates are rarely used though, especially the males.
Blasphemy

Post by Blasphemy »

And here we are with Hanako deciding to initiate a conversation with a slightly isolated classmate. A wonderful development truly.

So yeh, I haven't been commenting lately and I do feel bad for it. Often times I just felt like I had little adequate to say, especially when there's already pages of really good discussion, but a 'good job' would never hurt anyways. I'm also currently in a phase were I'm not reading much KS fanfiction, though I still check for updates every second day on my favorite story ;P I read little other than this and MTtB though I bet there's a huge slew of new brythain content I'd enjoy too but...that stuff can be so emotionally draining at times, it'll have to wait for now.

Now this story is riding towards its conclusion and does so gracefully. While it does sadden me that it's going to be over soon, I really appreciate a (properly) finished story. That doesn't have to mean there needs to be tight closure for every single thread sprung along the way and, as you say, a somewhat open ending would work out well for this kind of story. But yeh, coming to an end is difficult and I'm still impressed you're capable of regularly releasing new chapters this late down the line, even if they do take longer.

---

If I may give some anime recommendations.

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (His and Her Cirumstances) is an amazing RomCom, directed by no less than Hideaki Anno of Evangelion fame. Not only is it the only anime RomCom I've seen that properly tackles a couples actual relationship instead of being about the path to confessing, it does so exceedingly well. It's also incredible just how easily the show juggles its comedy and more serious themes. Unfortunately the last couple episodes have plenty production issues and the story ends in the middle of nowhere because the manga author didn't want to continue the cooperation (she felt like there was too much focus on comedy). But, that hardly matters, it's still the best RomCom and just up the this point the couple's relationship goes much, much further than in other anime.

Hyouka while not really a RomCom per se, still has one of the better relationships going on and spectacular characterization. Without having any focus on comedy I don't think that any other show elicited as many genuine laughs out of me as this one did, purely because the characters feel so real. This anime is also absolutely gorgeous and it feels like the episodes almost have movie-level animation quality.

Welcome to the N.H.K which deals with the abyss of the human mind in its story about a NEET (Not in Employment, Education or Training) and, it too, has really strong characterization.
Solistor

Post by Solistor »

Blasphemy wrote:Welcome to the N.H.K
I have that one on my Netflix queue, though I haven't been watching much Netflix lately.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

forgetmenot wrote:
dewelar wrote:"There isn't even anyone to talk about music with around here – at least not rock music. I've heard this one girl playing the violin, but just classical stuff. She's probably never even heard of Mik Kaminski or Robby Steinhardt."
It's weird how excited I get about these little references.
Well, then, I'm weird, too...
Sorry I haven't been commenting much. Not really much to say, other than good job. I'm glad you left a few loose ends to tie up.
Thanks. It would be kind of weird if the slice of life ended neatly on the same edge for everyone, right?
Also there is something about Noriko that lends itself well to brooding. But in the end, I seriously hope she doesn't regret her lifestyle up until this point. Because, let's face it, Noriko is awesome.
See, now you're making me all tingly and stuff...
Blasphemy wrote:And here we are with Hanako deciding to initiate a conversation with a slightly isolated classmate. A wonderful development truly.
Indeed. It's funny, but despite being the one writing this story, I feel a little bit of pride in Hanako for making it to this point. I'm not entirely sure what to make of that :|.
So yeh, I haven't been commenting lately and I do feel bad for it. Often times I just felt like I had little adequate to say, especially when there's already pages of really good discussion, but a 'good job' would never hurt anyways. I'm also currently in a phase were I'm not reading much KS fanfiction, though I still check for updates every second day on my favorite story ;P I read little other than this and MTtB though I bet there's a huge slew of new brythain content I'd enjoy too but...that stuff can be so emotionally draining at times, it'll have to wait for now.
Eh, it's all good. I've been through spots of not being able to look at anything on the boards over these past couple years. I'm just glad for you and everyone else who keeps coming back to my little corner of them :).
Now this story is riding towards its conclusion and does so gracefully. While it does sadden me that it's going to be over soon, I really appreciate a (properly) finished story. That doesn't have to mean there needs to be tight closure for every single thread sprung along the way and, as you say, a somewhat open ending would work out well for this kind of story. But yeh, coming to an end is difficult and I'm still impressed you're capable of regularly releasing new chapters this late down the line, even if they do take longer.
And again, thanks. In part, they're taking longer because the chapters themselves have gotten longer. The past few have all been about 10,000 words, plus or minus a few hundred, which is 4-5 times the size of the earliest ones. I admit I've surprised myself that I'm able to work at that kind of steady pace for so long.
If I may give some anime recommendations...
Yeah, thanks, I will check those out. Actually, I watched Welcome to the N.H.K a while back, and I enjoyed it. The premise was a bit odd, but I did like the characters and plot progression. As a general note, I've been trying to stick to subtitled anime where I can, but it's not easy on the eyes. I've found myself watching less recently and reading more (scanlated) manga, where it's easier to blow it up large enough to read.
Blasphemy

Post by Blasphemy »

dewelar wrote:
Blasphemy wrote:And here we are with Hanako deciding to initiate a conversation with a slightly isolated classmate. A wonderful development truly.
Indeed. It's funny, but despite being the one writing this story, I feel a little bit of pride in Hanako for making it to this point. I'm not entirely sure what to make of that :|.
As long as you're a good enough critic of your own work i'd certainly look at it in a positive light to empathize strongly with the characters despite being the author, even if you are 'continuing' a character like Hanako instead of creating it entirely. You succeeded at the latter too though, looking at Noriko, for instance, down to even just Yoshi, who's part in this story I'm liking quite a lot, even though he doesn't get a lot of 'screen time'.

Whether it ends up happening or not, the above two are certainly worth getting explored some more in potential spin-offs / continuations, though that goes for most characters really.
dewelar wrote:
If I may give some anime recommendations...
Yeah, thanks, I will check those out. Actually, I watched Welcome to the N.H.K a while back, and I enjoyed it. The premise was a bit odd, but I did like the characters and plot progression. As a general note, I've been trying to stick to subtitled anime where I can, but it's not easy on the eyes. I've found myself watching less recently and reading more (scanlated) manga, where it's easier to blow it up large enough to read.
Yeh I was actually wondering if e.g. KareKano wouldn't be a bit bothersome for you with how fast it's pacing and dialogue can be. I found myself pausing and/or repeating a few sections just to make sure I got everything. But you'll be the judge to that.

I should also mention that it was ill-adviced of me to start this anime-recommendation in this thread. I got a pm from Silentcook who rightfully expected derailment and will do some culling if required, so sorry for that and let's continue that in another thread actually suited for that. :oops: