It actually makes sense, given that Catastrophic Thinking is a trait present in PTSD (as well as other anxiety disorders).dewelar wrote:All of which has happened in the course of six days. Yeah, Hanako's grown quite a bit, but she still has a boatload of insecurities, and she's got major trust issues that she's only just begun to reckon with. Add to that that, during the course of this story, she's been having nightmares about Lilly taking Hisao away from her, and...well, you get the picture .
While we need to see a Hanako chapter to know for sure, I would speculate that the following scenario is what took place:
- We know how Hisao reacted to his spat with Hanako in Chapter 46 -- he joined Yoshi and got drunk on Noriko's Seaweed Juice while Yoshi got ...well... ahem. ANYWAY, I would imagine that while this was happening, Hanako was in her room worried sick both about losing Lilly (literally and figuratively) and now Hisao (just figuratively).
- The next morning, she calls and Noriko -- who she dislikes and distrusts -- answers the phone.
- I would say Hanko's initial reaction would have been "WTF?!?" However, based on her history with bullying and betrayal by close friends, the catastrophic thinking starts kicking in. So over the course of the next few hours Hanako talks herself from merely a "WTF" moment to living in a reverse Mendācium scenario where Hisao was seduced away by someone with flawless skin and superior sexual prowess.
- This leads Hanako to seek support from the person who she has always seen as her closest ally, Lilly.
Now lets look at what Lilly said that set off the Hanabomb:
I think Lilly started on the right track by asking Hanako to clarify what it is that she was thinking. However, she started to derail with this statement:
- Challenging the evidence is a good way of combating a catastrophic thought. However, the way Lilly does this sounds accusatory -- as if she thinks that Hanako is making up the scenario out of whole cloth."Hanako, do you really think that little of Hisao? After everything you've been through together, that something like this would cause him to seek comfort from Yoshimura? Is that something that you honestly believe Hisao would do?"
- I would imaging that, at this point, Hanako is thinking, "Why isn't Lilly siding with me? What's going on?"
- Then Lilly says:
- Take this statement, add in her pre-existing worries about her relationship with Lilly, multiply it by a number of unfortunate statements made in the past, and Hanako has with what she thinks is the answer. Lilly is betraying her as well."Hanako, I know this is going to sound bad, so please don't get angry at what I'm about to say. If you really think Hisao would treat you like that, that he would behave that way, then maybe...maybe you're not ready for the kind of relationship you want to have with Hisao."
- Let the accusations fly!