Developments (Post-Lilly NE) [Complete, 2015-08-11]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Minion of Chaos

Re: Developments (Lilly Bad End Continuation) [Ch 12 up 9/4]

Post by Minion of Chaos »

Blasphemy wrote:I've grown really tired of stories which have a predictable end
That's what's nice about this fic. You just cant tell where it's going to go. The only thing that we do know is that there will be a fork of sorts in the road soon, but not too soon. Everything in between is still up in the air, making it interesting.
Kurara

Post by Kurara »

Shit just got real! I really enjoyed this too, though it is getting a bit hard to root for any particular outcome. I like your depiction of all three major players!
inthewind

Post by inthewind »

dewelar wrote:
Carighan wrote:*dramatic cliffhanger sound*
Is that you, Elan?
Leave it to this place to get a little Stick-y.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Blasphemy wrote:Whenever a story contains prophecies I'd like to tear my hair out...
Even those can be extremely well written and surprise you now and again.
Not very often, granted, but I'd say the chances are higher than with three/foursome fics. 8)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
TacticalBacon

Post by TacticalBacon »

Enjoying it so far, great writing

but for the love of god

NO EMIxHANAKO THREESOME
My Steam
My Twitter
My Tumblr
My skype is HakimAthalla21
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

But what if it were just Emi x Hanako?
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
Blasphemy

Post by Blasphemy »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Blasphemy wrote:Whenever a story contains prophecies I'd like to tear my hair out...
Not very often, granted, but I'd say the chances are higher than with three/foursome fics. 8)
Eh I guess there are clever ways to surprise with prophecies, although I'd say mostly red herring prophecies that turn out to be bullshit/made up even in the story's lore or are vastly misinterpreted (although that's rather common with prophecies). In the end though, a prophecy in a story will still always be there to point towards a certain important part of the story, even if it's supposed to just deceive you. Which again means at least parts of the story are predictable because you know it will deal with the prophecy's topic at some point. And if not, if a prophecy really just is mentioned but the story doesn't resolve around it at all then what good does said prophecy have in the first place?

Still it's likely I'm not even considering certain ideas that could very well work a prophecy into a story in a way I like it.

@TacticalBacon

You're right! After all Lilly may still love him and didn't Shizune plan something for the break as well? And what if Iwanako appears...
I agree, a threesome just wouldn't be enough ;)

Enough of that talk now though, this Hisao and plot would have to take some hard turns to even go in that direction.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Blasphemy wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:
Eh I guess there are clever ways to surprise with prophecies, although I'd say mostly red herring prophecies that turn out to be bullshit/made up even in the story's lore or are vastly misinterpreted (although that's rather common with prophecies). In the end though, a prophecy in a story will still always be there to point towards a certain important part of the story, even if it's supposed to just deceive you. Which again means at least parts of the story are predictable because you know it will deal with the prophecy's topic at some point. And if not, if a prophecy really just is mentioned but the story doesn't resolve around it at all then what good does said prophecy have in the first place?

Still it's likely I'm not even considering certain ideas that could very well work a prophecy into a story in a way I like it.
Using a prophecy in a story is no different than using any other plot device -- it's all about whether the writer presents it in a way that is entertaining, or shows the reader a new way of looking at things. I agree that prophecy as a trope tends to be overused, especially in speculative fiction, but quality writing can definitely overcome that.

You mentioned the Harry Potter series above, and I think that the prophecy aspect did a good job at driving the story through the first four books or so. The problem (for me, anyway) was that Rowling couldn't pull it off all the way through, and the ending wound up being a serious anti-climax at least in part because of it.

Mainly, though, the concept of prophecy is an easy way to give an author a story structure right out of the box. Because of that, it winds up being used more often as a crutch for hacks than as an inspiration, thus making us wonder if Sturgeon's Law wasn't an underestimation.

So...yeah, there will be no prophecy-related stuff in this story :) .
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Troy

Post by Troy »

love it
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

What this fic shows is that everyone has a story inside him/her, and that different people can see the same event in very different ways. As for Hisao 2 or 3 timing, if his heart can take it, all the power to him.

Since dew defended Harry Potter, I'll jump in regarding SC 2. To me, Blizzard storylines had never been subtle. You know what's going to happen, but there's alot of bombast and awesomeness involved (add a dash of retcon as seasoning). I own and have played the campaigns for the first 2/3 of this saga; I sure as hell will stick around for Legacy of the Void.*

*If it's worth anything, I suggest that you get The Dark Templar Saga trilogy (or at least read the summaries). The books are to SC 2 what the Sunwell Trilogy was to World of Warcraft's Burning Crusade. Without reading (or knowing) the lore in the books, the plotlines seen in the games don't make much sense.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Otherwise...yeah, just enjoy.
And here is where you reveal yourself as the biggest, douchiest troll of all time by abandoning this story. :lol:
Blasphemy wrote:So maybe I should take a break for a month from this forum and enjoy a bigger chunk of reading material from this and other fanfics.
Only if you enjoy spending so much of your free time trying to catch up. With completing this story, I have finally caught up on the last two months of posts.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

griffon8 wrote:
Otherwise...yeah, just enjoy.
And here is where you reveal yourself as the biggest, douchiest troll of all time by abandoning this story. :lol:
Hmmmm...*takes notes*... :twisted:

Seriously, though, I'm hoping to have Chapter 13 going up no later than Monday *fingers crossed*. It hasn't reached Chapter 10 levels of hair-pulling, but it's been difficult to get just right.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
TacticalBacon

Post by TacticalBacon »

I love the smell of unrelated conversations while waiting for the next chapter
My Steam
My Twitter
My Tumblr
My skype is HakimAthalla21
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

I'm actually waiting for the misunderstandings and miscalculation to start coming in. With this writing style, the audience can easily see what the individual cast members know (or don't) about the situation.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
RedRover

Post by RedRover »

YZQ wrote:I'm actually waiting for the misunderstandings and miscalculation to start coming in. With this writing style, the audience can easily see what the individual cast members know (or don't) about the situation.
That's called dramatic irony. The more you know!

Thanks, mostly useless high school English classes!
"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." -Confucius
Quotes are fun.
I have a oneshot about little ol' Suzu. Read it! Or don't.