Developments (Post-Lilly NE) [Complete, 2015-08-11]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mirage_GSM

Re: Developments (Post-Lilly Neutral End) - Ch.59 posted 6/1

Post by Mirage_GSM »

That's because in those other fics, the new husband typically isn't Nurse :). Usually they're pairing off Meiko with Some Random Guy as a way to manufacture drama
Really? Cause I can't really remember any stories where Meiko got into a relationship and it WASN'T nurse...
Meiko X Nurse is so heavily alluded to in the VN that such fics seem to be almost non-existant.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

I've seen at least one fic that used Meiko x OC.

Lilly possibly not wanting to teach is an interesting... development. Really, didn't she get the idea of teaching as a career from mirroring her tutor (who was also her crush) at the time? So, really, it isn't her path...
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
That's because in those other fics, the new husband typically isn't Nurse :). Usually they're pairing off Meiko with Some Random Guy as a way to manufacture drama
Really? Cause I can't really remember any stories where Meiko got into a relationship and it WASN'T nurse...
Huh, that's odd, because my experience is exactly the opposite -- I haven't read one where it WAS Nurse.
Meiko X Nurse is so heavily alluded to in the VN that such fics seem to be almost non-existant.
*nods* Which is why it was so surprising to me that I hadn't run across any. Then again, I don't think more than one or two have popped up since I started reading the boards, so maybe there were a bunch right after the release?
bhtooefr wrote:Lilly possibly not wanting to teach is an interesting... development. Really, didn't she get the idea of teaching as a career from mirroring her tutor (who was also her crush) at the time? So, really, it isn't her path...
The VN was a bit vague, in that it specifically said that her tutor inspired her to be an English teacher. The fact that she said it in that particular way led me to head-canonize the "English" part as being the important one.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

dewelar wrote:Well, I'm on record as saying that Leaty's done a great job with creating a fully-realized Iwanako, and it's impossible for me not to be influenced by it. On the other hand, even if I used the exact same character, the differences would be quite vast due to mine, you know, not having had a heart attack and an extended hospital stay to splash ginormous swaths of paint onto her personality.
Image I live for the praise, and for Iwanako's trauma described to me in increasingly creative ways.

But yes—for all the work I've put in to make Iwanako a multi-dimensional character, it's important not to forget that Mean Time to Breakdown depicts a worst-case-scenario. (For Iwanako, anyway; whether or not it is one for Hisao or Emi is a matter of some debate.) "Canon" Iwanako would have had an entirely different track of character development in this timeline. That's a far cry from saying, of course, that she wouldn't have a slew of issues to work through, because sometimes a mess is just a mess.

Additionally, the fact that the next chapter is Hisao POV (isn't it?) would affect the reader's perception of her—one of the defining character traits of Iwanako, as she's depicted in my story, is how deeply she lives in her own head. Even accounting for offscreen character development, without access to that interior monologue, she'd come off quite differently; probably not all that far removed from how she is in the VN prologue, honestly.
dewelar wrote:sometimes I think I'm too subtle for my own good. For instance, there are shout-outs to a couple more fics than you mentioned on the TVTropes page, but nobody's noticed them.
That might just be my bad—my recall wasn't great as I was working on that, and the truth of the matter is that I just don't read all that many Katawa Shoujo fics. Generally I let Mirage and Brythain act as my canaries, and only enter the coal mine after I've ascertained they aren't dead.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Leaty wrote:Generally I let Mirage and Brythain act as my canaries, and only enter the coal mine after I've ascertained they aren't dead.
I suddenly had this image of you with one eye and a grim realisation, of doom apprehended, on your face.
On your shoulders are perched two midnight-black ravens...

memory sable and ebony thought
veterans of battles all savagely fought

night falls in thunder, but darker the rain
that covers the ignorant armies in pain
shining like stars even blacker than these
memory watching while thought oversees

blood in the morning is tar stained with flies
where wisdom and courage could never suffice
for madness, ambition, rage, fear and lies

two ravens unwanted are dots in the skies
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Razoredge

Post by Razoredge »

Awesome poem. That's marvellous. Really.
Lilly = Akira > Miki = Hanako > Emi > Rin > Shizune

Stuff I'm currently writing : Beyond the haze : A Lilly Satou pseudo-route, Lullaby of an open heart : A Saki pseudo-route & Sakura Blossom : A way with Hisao
Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Post by Blank Mage »

I'm a bit worried that Bry might start writing Leaty's AtD arc, detailing her depressing but achingly poignant downward spiral, like a fan fic written on a Death Note.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

brythain wrote:an unbelievably awesome poem vaguely about me that came out of nowhere
Blank Mage wrote:Leaty's AtD arc, detailing her depressing but achingly poignant downward spiral
Is nonfiction allowed on these forums?
brythain

Post by brythain »

Blank Mage wrote:I'm a bit worried that Bry might start writing Leaty's AtD arc, detailing her depressing but achingly poignant downward spiral, like a fan fic written on a Death Note.
Stay tuned, for further Developments. :D

(See, I do try to get things back on topic.)

Edit: that poem is one I wrote a long time ago, but it just came to mind when I thought of Leaty peering into the grim-dark depths of the KS fanfic forum...
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
ogorhan

Post by ogorhan »

Bit late but yay another chapter of Developments, been waiting for it for a while and I can say that I'm happy for Emi & Hisao and for Meiko to finally get together with the Nurse. T'was a good read.

Definitly looking forward to the Iwanako and Hisao's parent chapter. Keep up the good work.
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.
FISCHERWMT

Post by FISCHERWMT »

I joined nine days ago. Mostly because I started reading this two weeks ago. Been lurking as a guest since KS came out. Cannot believe how hooked I am on this VN and the fan-fic. Had never heard of a VN. Have tried to explain to my wife and get her to do KS to see what I get out of it - joy.

As a 66 year old criminal defense attorney, I doubt I am the normal fan of a high school story. But this and Tomorrows Doom and others really get to me. Often have to hold back tears.

Just superb!
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

ogorhan wrote:Bit late but yay another chapter of Developments,
I'll trade your late comment for my late reply :).
been waiting for it for a while and I can say that I'm happy for Emi & Hisao and for Meiko to finally get together with the Nurse. T'was a good read.

Definitly looking forward to the Iwanako and Hisao's parent chapter. Keep up the good work.
Thanks as always for the kind words!
FISCHERWMT wrote:I joined nine days ago. Mostly because I started reading this two weeks ago. Been lurking as a guest since KS came out. Cannot believe how hooked I am on this VN and the fan-fic.
Welcome to the forums! It's always good to see that my story is still picking up new readers!
Had never heard of a VN. Have tried to explain to my wife and get her to do KS to see what I get out of it - joy.

As a 66 year old criminal defense attorney, I doubt I am the normal fan of a high school story. But this and Tomorrows Doom and others really get to me. Often have to hold back tears.

Just superb!
Thanks. I do understand the sentiment regarding the difficulty in explaining one's affection for these stories. There are elements of Katawa Shoujo and its brethren that turn some people off but I believe that in the end, a good story is a good story, no matter the setting, genre, or medium. I am glad you think mine qualifies, and I am honored to be placed in the company of Tomorrow's Doom, which is one of my favorites as well. I just hope that someday soon Helbereth is able to break out of his lengthy doldrums and finish it :|.

While I'm here, I might as well give a quick update on my progress on Ch.60. At this point, it is shaping up to be the longest chapter of this story, so it will still be a few more weeks until it's ready. The first draft is already over 75% the size of the previous largest chapter, and there are still scenes I haven't even started :shock:. Hopefully, you'll all find it worth the wait!
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

PLease consider posting it in two parts...
I just know I'll find it when I want to "just quickly check the forums before I go to bed" and then I'll lose half a night of sleep because I can't stop reading^^°
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

dewelar wrote:I just hope that someday soon Helbereth is able to break out of his lengthy doldrums and finish it :|.
You're telling me. :roll:

I'm just glad there's still some great stories going on to fulfill my wait for Tomorrow's Doom and Allister's For Want of a Nail, this being one of the great stories I've read and still currently follow.

And same thing that Mirage said. After Luke's last chapter, I lost good amount of sleep just trying to finish reading it.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Mirage_GSM wrote:PLease consider posting it in two parts...
I assume you mean I should space the parts out (i.e., post half one day and the other half, say, a week later). Actually, any other chapter I might have been willing to oblige, but there are reasons this chapter needs to be released as a unit. Sorry :(.
I just know I'll find it when I want to "just quickly check the forums before I go to bed" and then I'll lose half a night of sleep because I can't stop reading^^°
*laughs* Trust me, I sympathize with that!
HoneyBakedHam wrote:I'm just glad there's still some great stories going on to fulfill my wait for Tomorrow's Doom and Allister's For Want of a Nail, this being one of the great stories I've read and still currently follow.
I appreciate that.
And same thing that Mirage said. After Luke's last chapter, I lost good amount of sleep just trying to finish reading it.
You're talking about Puppet Show, right? There has been so much new stuff posted recently that I've fallen behind, and haven't gotten around to reading that one yet :oops:. I'll add it to my growing backlog.