Redshift - Rika Route [10/2]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

ProfAllister

Re: Redshift - Rika Route [10/2]

Post by ProfAllister »

Retrograde01 wrote:Thanks for the support, guys. Scene IV will be out in the near future.
Mirage_GSM wrote:Nice chapter.
You know I'll always take quality over quantity.
Everyone always says this, but two months is still unacceptable.
I know why you'd say this. Two months is a pretty big thing, especially in message board time. And it does feel a little unfair to those of your readers who are experiencing it as a serial rather than as a single contiguous work. The one-year mark's sneaking up for me on my project, and I'm inclined to say that I'm maybe halfway done.

And it's true that the longer you go, the harder it gets to pick it back up. The more time has passed, the more discouraging it becomes to pick it back up. And if you let yourself, you'll start going back to look at the earlier chapters (especially if you're doing a continuity check) and deciding that they're terrible and need to be rewritten (or that the whole project was a bad idea to begin with).

So yes, deadlines are important.

On the other hand, your first posted version is what people are most likely to see and remember. Going back to edit things alter is all well and good, but it's not really a second chance. I'm not saying to withhold posting until it's perfect, though. There's a happy medium in all things, after all.

What I am saying is that rushed work is rather permanent. If you force yourself to get something, anything on paper in order to hit a deadline, you're probably doing it wrong. And once it goes live, people will read it and remember it. So a spur-of-the-moment decision could cost you significantly in terms of audience goodwill, and it's very hard to recover from that.

Also, it's one thing to say you're going to go back and fix something. It's much harder to actually do it when the time comes.

Again, this isn't to say delays are always a good thing or always justified. There are many, many problems on that side of things, too. I still strongly advocate writing to put something on paper, and toy around with different approaches if you seem stuck. But don't rush to go public in order to meet a deadline if you know it means you aren't giving your work the attention it deserves.

Deadlines are in fact a good thing. I strongly recommend them, even. But they're there to help get good work done. If the focus is too much on the "done" part and not enough on the "good," it will probably come back to bite you.

...this kind of discussion really needs a point/counterpoint format in order to show the benefits and problems with both sides of the issue...
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Titus

Post by Titus »

Lol I checked pretty much every day to see if it was updated and the one day I didn't ...

Good read, and wow two months? September went by fast for me.
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
monkeywitha6pack

Post by monkeywitha6pack »

This is another fan fiction I can't read with our smiling :D
Wahahaha~.
AnathRaema

Post by AnathRaema »

I don't care if I'm old and grey before the next chapter is released. I thoroughly enjoy good works that suck you in, leaving you wanting more and more.
I write poetry sometimes. It's pretty bad. I should work on that at one point.
FANNYMAN231

Post by FANNYMAN231 »

Hey there dude. Firstly I just want to tell you that this fic of yours is really eye catching and got me real hooked.

I'm just a lurker on this site for weeks now, just made my account today. I noticed that you haven't posted for months now, just wondering if you're still continuing this fic.
Yukarin

Post by Yukarin »

I would also like to know if you are still continuing this fic because this is a different Rika from the Rikabro route and it's really interesting.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

People, stop asking.
-Asking for extensions, continuations, sequels, and followups. Let authors proceed at their own pace.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

FANNYMAN231

Post by FANNYMAN231 »

Sorry, my bad. Forgot about that. Force of habit in other sites...

:?
TyronePotato

Post by TyronePotato »

Can't wait for the next part! This story is great. You are doing a great job.
ooooh feels.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I'm really disappointed that this never continued. These are one of the most likeable versions of Saki and Rika I've seen.
Not Dead Yet
swampie2

Post by swampie2 »

Very interesting, love the way you've written Saki and Rika.
One Shots - My stories thread.
HoneyBakedHam

Re: Redshift - Rika Route [7/27]

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

RedRover wrote:Pork!? The best flavor of instant ramen!? LIES! Chicken is the best! CHICKEN I SAY!!!

Otherwise, fantastic chapter.
Wrong, beef is.