WORDS WORDS WORDS

SuperfluousU

Re: Miki Psuedo Route [New work, added 6/5/13]

Post by SuperfluousU »

...Beep...Beep...Beep...

I know that sound.

...Beep...Beep...Beep...

So I'm back here again, am I?

I open my eyes and try to look around the room, but it's dark, save for a soft light emanating from one corner of my vision. As I try to turn my head towards the source of the light, my head begins throbbing with a dull pain. I put a hand to my forehead and groan slightly.

“Oh! You're awake.”

I close my eyes again, but the throbbing becomes worse, and the persistent beeping grows slightly faster and becomes uneven.

A soft hand touches my arm. “Now now, don't go getting yourself riled up again. You had another nasty episode. Can I get you anything?”

“Ngh- Some water, please.”

“Of course.”

The other person moves across the room, the sound of running water echoing throughout. She-at least, by the voice I think it's a she-comes back and places the small cup in my hand.

“Would you like me to sit your bed up?”

“Please.”

The back of the bed begins to rise, sitting me at least partially upright. I take a sip of the water, slowly washing it around my mouth before swallowing. Sitting up seems to help the throbbing to subside a bit. I take a couple of moments to regain my composure, before I open my eyes again. It's still too dark to really make out anything, except for the silhouette beside me. Long hair, short stature, and a fairly lithe build, and definitely female, though there is not enough light to make out any other features though.

“How long was I out?”

“I'm not sure, to be truthful. You've been here for a full day though, and according to the doctors, you were unconscious when you arrived.”

“I see. Do they know what happened to me?”

She places her hand on mine, a glint of light from her wrist indicates she's wearing jewelry. “I'm not sure what happened exactly, I was hoping you could tell me that. You did have another heart attack though. I was told that much.”

I sigh and try and think back to what happened before I woke up here. It's quite a blur to be honest. The only thing I can recall for now, is that...

“I was pushed, I know that much. I can't recall anything else.”

“Pushed? Do you know who it was that pushed you?”

“I'm not sure. I think it was a girl,” my head begins to pound, and I raise my hand over my forehead again. “Argh, my head is killing me.”

“Poor dear. I'm going to go let them know you're awake. Maybe they can give you something for your head as well.”

I nod, still holding my head. She quietly leaves the room, with only the faint clicking of the door indicating that she has left.

Maybe I hit my head when I was pushed, but all I know right now, is that I need this pain in my head to go away. Why am I having so much trouble remembering what happened a day ago? Actually, the last thing I can remember clearly is...

“Nervous?”

I simply turn and start walking through the gate, giving my father a resigned shrug. 

“Your mother and I are going to take your things to your dorm room. You should really go say goodbye to her before you head into class. It will be awhile before she'll get a chance to see you again.”

“She said in the car that I should just head to class. Since we're already late getting here,” I say. 

“That may be, but your mother telling you to do something has never stopped you in the past from doing the opposite,” He says while a faint smile begins to form on his face.

“Yeah, well. I'm not the same anymore. Am I?” I say sullenly.

His features darken a bit. “I suppose not.” We walk in silence for a bit, reaching the pathways branch to the dorm. “Think about it, okay?”

“Yeah.”

The suggestion my father made to go say goodbye continues to echo in my head as I approach the main doors of the school building. I had never thought about that until now. Of all the things I have lost, one thing I haven't lost, is my parents. They were hardly ever around, day to day, before my heart attack. Since then though, we have eaten together every night. We watched television together, even when I just wanted to sulk. They had been there for me, and I'm an idiot.

I quickly turn and start heading to the dorms. Punctuality be damned. I'm going to be here alone soon.

I pass a few students who are obviously running as late as I am, headed for class. Most pay me no mind, but a few wave and give a quick greeting. I force myself to do so in kind. Though it's hard. It's hard not to notice what makes the person, them. The wheelchair, the cane, the obviously fake legs. I probably look like someone's sibling to them. Nothing wrong with me, at least appearances wise. 

As I enter the boys dorm, it's as quiet and still as the main courtyard was. All, or at least most, of the other students now surely in class. I make my way towards my room. Wait, what was it again? I fish the key out of my pocket and look at the engraved number on it.

“One-one-nine” 

I make my way down the hall and approach my door. Inside I can hear what sounds like crying. My heart immediately drops, as I know who it is. As I slowly open the door, I can see my mother quickly wiping her eyes, a forced smile crossing her face as she sees me enter.

“I thought you were going to class,” she asks, her voice still shaky.

Not a word else is said as I move to her and hug her. Though tense at first, she hugs me back, her eyes beginning to well up with tears again.

“I'm sorry,” I quietly say. “I'm going to miss you.”

Her grip on me tightens and I feel a wetness on my shoulder. “Sorry for what, Hisao?”

“I've been so miserable these past months, I never thanked you and dad for spending so much time with me. I know it's hard with your schedules, but you were there, despite everything else.”

A warm, but gruff voice comes from behind me. “We'll always be there, son. One way or another.” My father enters the room, placing the suitcase he was carrying down.

“Thanks, dad.” 

My mother and I break our hug, and start to unpack my belongings while my father goes to bring up the last bag. Idly chatting away, about what I think it's going to be like here at Yamaku. As my mother puts away my clothes, I start to unpack the small duffel bag that has my medications in it. I slowly place them on the nightstand next to my bed, reading each label as I do. I keep removing bottles, and placing them on the nightstand, checking to see if that's the last one, but it seems endless. As I reach the bottom of the bag, I realize I'm not so different than any of the other students here. Just my wheelchair, cane, or prosthesis even, are just a bunch of plastic bottles. Holding me up by the chemicals inside.

“Are you sure you're okay, dear,” my mother asks from behind me.

As I turn, I see her looking past me to the bottles on my nightstand, my father comes in and starts to unpack the last bag.

“I think so.”

She nods, and starts to say something, but cuts herself short.

I move forward and give her another hug. “Really mom, I'll be fine. Besides, you've made sure I'll have the best care in the world, right?”

My father chuckles slightly. “Well, I don't know about best in the world.”

“Dear, honestly now,” my mother chides.

“It's okay mom, I know he's just joking. I shouldn't keep you two much longer though. You've got a long drive back ho...to the house.”

She cringes a bit as I say this, then wraps her arms around me tighter. “I love you, Hicchan.”

I groan inwardly at that nickname. At least I shouldn't have to worry about that here. Only my friends would otherwise call me that, because they knew it annoyed me.

“I love you too, mom.”

We break our hug, and I then extend my hand to my father, knowing him not being one for large displays of affection. I'm then surprised as he gives me the biggest hug I've ever received.

“Be sure to call us to let us know how you're doing,” he says as he breaks the hug. “Or if you need anything.”

“I will,” I say, as we begin heading out of my room.

The walk back through the gardens is quiet, none of us saying a word as we make our way towards the car. I take the time to think about what life will be like here. I have to admit to myself, that I'm more than a little nervous, scared really. I'll be here for barely half a year though, before it will be time for me to move on again and start university. I wonder if I'll even make any real friends in that time. Though, time together doesn't really mean anything, or so it seems. I wonder if my heart will even make it that far.

No. No I'm not going to start thinking like that again. I'm not going to be that person anymore. 

As we approach the car, I notice a small box left on the back seat.

“Looks like we forgot something,” my father coyly chimes in.

My mother opens the door, and hands the box to me. “Don't open it now. Or today even, if you can resist.”

I raise an eyebrow at this, she knows full-well that I can not normally resist such a temptation.

“It's a housewarming present, such as it is,” my father adds.

I take the box from my mother and bow slightly. “Thank you, I'll go lock it up in my room before I head to class.”

I'm wrapped in one last hug from my mother. “Take care of yourself, dear.”

“I will mom, I love you.”

My father gives me a quick nod and moves to get in the car, as I'm released from my mother's arms. She waves as she gets in, tears slowly rolling down her cheeks. I wave them off as they drive off down the hill that leads to Yamaku. After they're out of sight, I slowly consider the box in my hands, turning it over slowly. 

“No, I'm not the same anymore.”
SuperfluousU

Post by SuperfluousU »

I had forgotten about that box. It's still stuffed under my bed, unopened, probably. I suppose Kenji could have broken in. 

My train of thought is interrupted by the door opening, the pale white light outside seeping in, before disappearing again with the closing of the door.

“Ah, Mr. Nakai. How are we feeling?” A tall man approaches, wearing a white lab coat, but the dim light in the room doesn't give much else away.

“I'm okay, I suppose. My head is killing me though.”

He nods and grabs a clipboard from the bottom of the bed and looks it over. “Hmm, well with what medications you are already on, our options are limited for pain relief, but I'll see what we can do. How is your chest feeling? Any pain or tightness there?”

I shake my head, “No, that actually feels fine. Just my head right now. Also I'm a bit hungry.”

“We can certainly do something about that,” he chuckles lightly. “Oh, it was also mentioned that you were having a hard time remembering the days events.”

“Yeah,” I nod. “I'm retracing my steps now I suppose, but right now I can remember snippets of today, but only clearly remember back about a week.”

The doctor makes a note on the clipboard and then hangs it back on the foot of the bed. “Well, we'll schedule a few more tests. No one mentioned anything about a hit to the head, but if you fell on your side, it's not out of the question. Better safe than sorry, though.”

I only nod in response as the doctor makes his way back to the door. 

“Just relax, and I'll have some food brought up, and something for that headache.”

“Thank you.”

With that, the doctor exits the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts again.

“Waiting for an invitation?”

I turn to see a sleepy looking boy with red hair standing there waiting for me.

“Oh, sorry,” I say as I move aside. He smiles slightly and heads inside the classroom. I decide to follow him, as any polite, private introduction to the teacher is now shot. To my surprise, there is no teacher in the classroom. Great, I don't even know where to sit.

I decide the best option is just to wait by the teacher's desk. I am starting to reconsider coming into class today, though. The bell signaling the end of lunch rings out, and shortly thereafter, students start filing in through the door. I, expectedly, feel a bit put off. Not only am I the absolute center of attention as each student comes in, I also get an unhindered view of each student as well. Each one pausing for a moment as they notice me at the desk.

An older woman, who I deduce is the teacher comes in quickly and nods to me. “Good afternoon Mr. Nakai, is it?”

“Yes, ma'am. I missed my homeroom earlier as I arrived late to campus and had to finish moving my belongings in. I'm, not sure where to sit.”

“Yes, Mutou mentioned the new arrival was not present today. Kawano Aoi, by the way. I'll be your history instructor. It's understandable though, moving in the middle of a school year must be difficult. Would you like me to do an introduction for you? Or would you rather do that yourself?”

Good question. It would probably be a bit awkward if I didn't introduce myself now, as they've all gotten a more than good look at me.

“I'll do it myself Teacher. Thank you,” I bow slightly.

She nods then turns to the class. “Class, this is Hisao Nakai. He's just transferred in today, so I expect everyone to treat him with the utmost respect.” She then waves a hand in my direction, and I take my cue as a small round of applause is brought up by the class.

“Good afternoon, my name is Hisao Nakai. I just transferred in this morning and I am looking forward to getting to know all of you better.” The girl with blue hair in the front row lays her head down and seems to fall asleep. Nervousness begins to creep into my voice. “I like soccer, and enjoy reading.” I start to pause longer and longer between sentences and Mrs. Kawano picks up on this.

“Thank you Nakai, you can take the open seat by the window for now.”

Another round of applause is brought up by the class, and a few of the students start whispering between themselves as I make my way to the open desk. I notice two other open desks as well. Perhaps attendance isn't as high as it seems on the surface here.

The teacher then begins class. It seems we're covering the Edo Period, though I can't say I'm particularly interested in the subject at hand. I'm more in fact interested by who is around me, and the fact that they almost all seem to be glancing my way as often as I'm glancing around the room.

The girl in front of me seems to be studiously writing notes down, she actually looks foreign. I can't tell for sure though. I noticed on her way in, that she's missing both her legs below the knee. The desk to her right sits empty, however the desk to the immediate right of that seems to be more aptly called a bed than a desk. A smaller girl with blue hair is quite obviously asleep. I wonder why the teacher isn't saying anything. She has to have noticed. To her right sits a darker skinned girl, who I can't help but notice from my seating position, is missing her left hand. She's also wearing a boys uniform shirt and tie. To her right is a very fair skinned girl, who as far as I can tell, has nothing wrong with her. To her right is a very distracted looking boy, staring at the door, as if willing the class to end so he can leave.

The two desks to the right of mine are empty as well, but show signs of recent occupancy. I immediately catch myself hoping it's simple truancy, or at least nothing serious. I suppose that's a consideration in a school like this. 

My attention is pulled away from examining the class by the teacher saying my name as she begins splitting the class into groups. “I would have liked to place you with Miss Hakamichi and Miss Mikado on your first day, Nakai, but they appear to be dealing with student council business. So instead I'll place you with Miss Miura, and Miss Kapur.” She then divides the rest of the class up, and we begin moving our desks together.

I notice my two group mates moving their desks around the desk of the girl with the blue hair, who is still sleeping, or at least has her head down. As I move my desk into the group, I'm greeted by the girl in the boys shirt.

“Miura Miki, but just call me Miki, Nakai,” she says as she extends her right hand.

I take it and gently shake it. “Nice to meet you all, you can just call me Hisao, by the way. No need for stuffy surnames with me.”

She smiles and continues. “That's Kapur Molly,” she says as she gestures to the only other awake member of our group. 

Molly nods and smiles. “Hello, Molly is fine with me.”

“And this sleepy head is Sno...Suzuki Suzu.” She gently bumps the blue haired girl as she says this. “Don't be offended that she didn't stay awake through your introduction. She always does that.”

“It's okay. I wasn't offended, just didn't realize I was that boring,” I jokingly say.

She smiles brightly. “No, Mutou is boring. You just had performance anxiety.”

I'm a bit taken back by this, and she latches on immediately.

“Though it's understandable, what with all those girls staring at you like a piece of meat.”

My cheeks begin to feel warm as a blush rises from within. “W-what?”

Miki begins to laugh. “I'm just kidding. You're too easy, Hisao.”

“Come on now Miki, we should get to work on this assignment,” Molly chimes in. 

Miki rolls her eyes but gives in, and we start on the worksheets that were handed out. About half-way through the assignment I look up to see the girl with the blue hair lift her head up and blearily begin to blink at the three of us working on our assignment.

“How long was I out?”

Miki looks up. “Not too long, about half an hour.”

The blue haired girl wipes her eyes and stretches her arms over her head then looks towards me. “Oh, hello. Nakai wasn't it?”

I nod. “Yeah, just call me Hisao, though. Good to meet you.”

“Likewise. I'm Suzu. Suzuki Suzu.” She looks to the worksheet in front of her and sighs. “I hate history.”

Right, Miki was the girl I was with last night. Was she the one that pushed me, though? I can't even recall anything else about the push other than the fact of being pushed.

I notice a bit of light starting to appear through the window. I guess the sun is coming up. Hopefully they bring the food fairly quickly, I'm starting to feel tired again. I lay my head back against the pillow and look towards the door. Maybe I'll just close my eyes for a bit. They'll probably wake me up to give me the medicine for my headache anyways...
SuperfluousU

Post by SuperfluousU »

“Need help finding anything here?”

My attention is pulled away from packing my bag by a bump to the shoulder. I quickly turn and notice Miki is standing beside me. 

“I'm going to take Suzu to the lit club, and I have a few minutes before I have to head to track practice after that.”

“Well, I was going to try and find the library at some point today.”

“Great, that's where the lit club meets anyways. Come on.”

Miki walks over to Suzu and relays the message that I'll be joining them on the way to the library. As we head out of the room, I can't help but feel pensive about my situation. There are far more students crowding the halls than I would have thought. The halls are extremely spacious, but I feel a bit claustrophobic with all the people around. I keep thinking any of these people could accidentally crash in to me, and I would find myself back in hospital. I find myself giving more space to people passing by than is strictly courteous, and paying more attention to everyone else than to myself. I hear my name and look towards the direction it came from and stop.

“Sorry, what?”

“Maybe I'll just try and not fall on you then, Hisao,” Suzu replies.

“Fall on me?” I raise an eyebrow, and look between Suzu and Miki. “Sorry, I guess I wasn't listening.”

Miki smiles. “Obviously not. Poor Suzu was confiding her condition in you and you just ignore her. Such poor manners.”

I bow slightly. “Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean-”

“Don't worry about it,” Suzu cuts me off. “I was just saying that I have narcolepsy. Sometimes I can feel it coming, sometimes I don't. I was just saying I hope you have good reflexes to catch me, especially if we're on the stairs.” She points down to her knee. “That's why I have this on. Someone~ didn't catch me a few weeks ago.”

“It's not my fault,” Miki pouts. “You fell on my bad side.”

They both stare daggers at each other for a few seconds then start laughing.

“So wait, you just fall asleep randomly?” I chime in as we start walking again.

“Pretty much, luckily Miki's a good catch, otherwise I'd probably have more bruises on me than I do.”

I nod, not knowing what else to say. Though, maybe I should mention my reason for being here, as it's probably not a good idea for her to fall into me at all. My hand starts to reach towards my chest, but I force it back down and look off away from the girls. Now is not the time to start in on my past. They're just showing me to the library, after all.

After a few minutes of trudging through the sea of students, we arrive at a fairly innocuous looking door. There are no markings on the door, but as soon as Suzu opens the door, I begin smelling that familiar smell of dust and old books. As we walk in I can't help but notice how large the room is over all. This is certainly bigger than the library at my old school. This is going to be great.

“Well, here's the library. The most stuffy place in the school,” Miki chimes in.

Suzu sticks her tongue out and starts heading to the back of the room. Presumably that's where the literature club meets. “Have fun getting lost, Hisao,” she adds as she starts to walk off.

I turn to Miki and smile slightly. “Thanks for showing me here. You said you were off to practice. For what?”

“Track,” she beams. “Our school probably has the best program around, when it comes to track and field. We tend to win all of our meets with the other schools in our category.”

“Oh, so there are other schools that cater to...” I trail off.

“Special needs,” she adds. “Yeah, and we compete with each other a few times a year. In fact we have another meet the week after the festival.”

“Festival?” 

“Yeah, the Yamaku Festival. It's this Sunday. It's basically just an excuse to play carnival games, eat bad food, and generally have fun. Funny thing is, it's usually more work for the students, as each class and club tends to run a stall of one sort of the other.”

I raise an eyebrow. “Oh, so what are you doing for the festival?”

“Wow, you work fast. Not even here a day and you're asking girls out?”

I feel a warmth in my cheeks. “No, I'm not- I'm not asking- I mean- I meant...” Argh, why am I stumbling over this?

Miki begins to quietly laugh. “You're cute when you blush, but no. I'm not doing anything with the classes or clubs. Can't manage the time with my training, is all.”

I nod, and decide to end this now before I further embarrass myself. “Well I won't keep you. Thanks again for showing me where the library is.”

She nods and smiles. “No problem, have fun~.” She lilts the last word. I'm taking it she's not the keenest person on bookish pursuits. She waves her hand above her as she turns and heads out of the room.

I now notice that my heart is beating a little faster than is reasonable for me, and I close my eyes and take some deep breaths to try and calm it down. 

Looks like that kind of talk is still well out of my limits. It was even just a misunderstanding, and I started stumbling over myself like an idiot. My mind can't help but wander back to that day in the snow. Is it always going to be like this? 

I'm broken out of my contemplation by a hand on my shoulder.

“Are you okay?” A light, nervous voice comes from behind me.

I turn to see a woman that is staring at me with a worried expression on her face.

“Yeah,” I take in a deep breath. “Yeah I'm fine. Sorry”

“N-no, it's okay. I'm sorry for bothering you. I just saw you grab your chest and I was worried something was wrong.”

I didn't even notice that I had done that.

“Thank you, but I'm fine.” I begin to blankly look around the room for a few seconds as she just stares at me. I decide to break the silence, and bow slightly. “Hi, I'm Nakai Hisao, I just transferred in today.”

She returns the bow in kind. “I thought you looked new. I'm Yuuko, the schools librarian. Is there anything I can help you find?”

“Not really, I was just going to browse for something. See if something caught my interest.”

She nods. “If you do have any questions, I'll be around.”

“Thank you,” I say as I begin to walk away. 

I while away a good chunk of time just looking through all the sections. I find that probably at least a third of this library are books in braille. Even so, this place absolutely dwarfs my old schools library. I eventually find a favorite book of mine, and decide to find a place to sit down and start reading it again. My eyes starting to feel heavy as the day finally catches up with me.

“Hisao?” 

A female voice calls out gently, and I feel my shoulder being shaken.

Where am I?

I shake my head and blink my eyes, the early evening sun bathing the bookshelves in a dimming orange glow.

“Did you at least remember a towel?”

I look up towards the voice and notice Suzu. “What?”

She points to my book. “You know, Adams.”

I stare at her blankly, my mind still reeling with not being in that snowy field.

She sighs and begins to quote. “A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful things an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly because it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta. You can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours. You can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon, or use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth. Wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat, or wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal,” she cocks her head to the side and continues. “A mindbogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you – daft as a bush, but very ravenous,” she smiles. “You can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.” She looks me up an down a bit and smiles. “Also makes a good impromptu pillow. Take my word for it.”

I smile a bit as realization begins to dawn on me. That's right, I was reading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I look down to see the book layed open on my chest.

“Sorry, I must have dozed off.”

“Hey, that's my line,” Suzu chuckles a bit. “Noticed you were asleep over here and decided to check on you before I went back to my room.”

“Oh, thanks. I'm fine though. Just must be far more tired than I thought I was after moving in.”

She nods and looks towards the door. “Well, I'm going to head back to the dorms with some of the people from the literature club, you're welcome to come along.”

“No thank you. I can find my way back easily enough. Besides, I need to check this out and,” I glance to my watch, “get something to eat apparently. It's already seven?”

“Yeah, we ran a bit late today. Anyways, I'll see you in class tomorrow Hisao.”

I wave as she walks off. 

“See you then, Suzu.”
SuperfluousU

Post by SuperfluousU »

I'm startled awake by a loud clattering sound.

“Ah, dammit.”

I'm laying back down flat, I wonder when that happened. I turn and look to the voice, and notice an orderly picking up a food tray that had dropped to the ground.

“You alright?” I ask quietly.

She looks up to me a smiles, “Fine, just dropped your meal. I'll have to go grab you another one. Think you can stay awake that long?”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Well, you've been brought two meals so far that have gone untouched, according to your chart. I guess you were asleep.”

I look to the window and notice that though the light is dim, it's a deep orange now, instead of a lightening blue.

“It's the evening, isn't it?” I ask the orderly.

“Yeah, it's just after 6.”

I shake my head to clear my thoughts as the orderly finishes picking up the tray and heads out of the room. I can't believe I slept through another day. At this rate I'll miss the last half of the school year as well. I wonder if they did anymore tests while I was out.

The orderly comes back in with another food tray and sits it on the table beside me.

“Need anything else while I'm here?” she asks.

“Could you get a nurse or doctor for me? I want to ask them some questions.”

“Sure thing, I'll let them know you're awake now,” she smiles as she exits the room.

I take a look around the room, the florescent lights illumination bathing everything in a sickly pale glow. I'm in a private room, though it almost looks more like my dorm room than anything else. The walls are painted a very neutral beige, completely unoffensive. There is a small chest of drawers on the wall across from me, topped with a couple of arrangements of flowers. Probably from the school, I would imagine, at least the one with the bubblegum pink balloon has to be. I'm sure Misha had a hand in picking that one out. In the corner farthest away from the door is a green recliner, that has a sheet folded on the seat with a pillow on top, with a small table next to it. Has someone been sleeping there while I was out? Behind the bed, and all along the wall are cabinets and shelves, the monitoring devices shrouded by wood paneling as if to hide them as much as possible. This is much more...homey...than my hospital back home.

I notice some cards sat up on their ends on the table next to the recliner, so I decide to pull myself from bed to go see who they're from. As I sit upright and swing my legs over the side of the bed, the throbbing in my head returns, a wave of dizziness accompanying it this time. I tighten my grip on the side and take a deep breath, to try and steady myself, but feel myself slowly leaning to one side. I decide instead of fighting it, that it would be best to just lay back down on my side. A few moments pass, and the wave of dizziness passes and I reopen my eyes. I stare out of the window, hoping the headache will subside. As I stare at the clouds, and try and make out what the shapes look like, there's a short knock on the door, before it's opened.

“Good evening, Mr. Nakai. May I come in?”

“Sure,” I respond without even turning over to greet the person entering the room.

“Sorry for the delay in coming to see you, I was with another patient. Are you alright? You haven't touched your dinner.”

I slowly roll onto my back and turn my head towards the voice. It's a different doctor than last night, that's for sure. An older lady with graying hair, and oval shaped glasses rested on her nose approaches my bedside. 

“I was trying to get up and grab some of those cards from the table over there. I got quite dizzy and decided to lay back down on the bed. Seemed like a better option than crashing onto the floor.”

“That does seem like a more comfortable option at least,” she smiles slightly. “Any other issues since you've been awake? Further headaches, or heart flutters?”

“The headache came back just before the dizzy spell, but no heart issues.”

She grabs the clipboard from the bottom of the bed, then begins look it, and the monitoring devices in the shelves behind me, over. “Well Mr. Nakai, we believe you may have suffered a concussion as well as a heart attack.”

“Well that would at least explain the headaches and dizziness, right?”

She nods, “Indeed. It's just unfortunate that a head injury wasn't brought to our attention when you arrived. All we can let you do now though is rest, staying in bed would be preferred.”

She takes the clipboard and places it back at the bottom of the bed, then moves and grabs the cards off the table, bringing them back over to the tray table where my food is placed and sets them down in a neat pile. 

“You should eat as well,” she says as she presses the button to sit the back of the bed upright. “It's been at least twenty-four hours since you last ate.”

“That sounds like a good idea,” I say as my stomach begins to growl.

“It does sound like it, doesn't it,” she smiles. “Let us know if you need anything else Mr. Nakai.”

“Oh, may I ask a few questions before you go?”

“Of course.”

I look towards the chair in the corner, then back to the doctor. 

“Has there been someone sleeping here, other than myself, I mean. Like my parents?”

“Well there was a young woman who was here earlier that dropped off some of the flowers, but whether she took a nap here, I couldn't say. I've only been on my shift since noon today, and I haven't seen anyone else enter the room besides her.”

“Thank you,” I nod and then look back to her. “I think that's all for now, since you answered the headache question already.”
“Very well,” she smiles softly. “I can check with the nurses station to see if they have a better idea of who has been visiting since you arrived.”

“I would appreciate that, thank you.”

She nods and she turns and heads towards the door. 

“Remember, Mr. Nakai, take it easy for the next little while.”

“I will, thank you again,” I say as she heads out of the door. I grab the remote from beside the bed and turn on the television in the room. “May as well see if there's anything interesting on while I eat.”
BlackWaltzTheThird

Re: Miki Psuedo Route [Updated 6/21/13]

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

SuperfluousU wrote:“Yeah I'm fine. Sorry”
Missing period after "sorry".
SuperfluousU wrote:“Very well,” she smiles softly.
While you have the formatting correct, the connecting verb is incorrect. You can't smile a sentence. You can say a sentence while smiling, which I assume is what you meant. You also forgot to put in a line break before that sentence as well.

I like the way you framed the flashback episode. It's certainly an inventive way to pass the time in the hospital, as well as get us up to speed on what happened earlier on in the story that we hadn't yet seen. Gotta hand it to Suzu, that's one heck of a quote to remember. The quote being as long as it is does kind of drag a bit, though; perhaps an abridged version would be more appropriate? Also it's nice to see that there are actually other nursing staff at Yamaku. Too often writers use the Nurse for every single thing, as if he's the only medico there.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'll be here for barely half a year though,
Ten Months is a bit more than "barely half a year."
“Well, you've been brought two meals so far that have gone untouched, according to your chart. I guess you were asleep.”
I've never been to a hospital as a patient before, but I guess they'd wake you for meals - especially if you haven't eaten for a day before that...
Also it's nice to see that there are actually other nursing staff at Yamaku.
Hmm... IS he at Yamaku, though? I was under the impression he had been brought to a hospital in town.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Hmm... IS he at Yamaku, though? I was under the impression he had been brought to a hospital in town.
I'd figured with the mention of the homeliness of the room (and its similarity to Hisao's dorm) and of the monitoring devices being considerably more discreet than usual that it sounded more like Yamaku than your average hospital.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Joonwoo

Post by Joonwoo »

Very interesting turn of events. The flashback scenes were unexpected (and quite unordothox) but pleasurable to read. This is a very good Miki route so far, please keep it up! :)
Narcolepsy without the cataplexy. Tired but no random fainting. I made it, so can you.
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

I believe "first you had my interest now you have my attention| works here. I'm really exited to see where this story go's. Keep um coming.
CheezeXI

Post by CheezeXI »

Very good. I'm not much of a critic, so I'll only he able to say that the worst part was the end, where I realized that ther was no more.
I like the way you did the flashbacks and the stay at the hospital, but I do think that you should have written Hisao's thoughts on who the girl could be. Unless you plan on doing that next very surprisingly and well, it would be a much more fitting end if he realized it could've been Miki
Otherwise, great work, and I suggest , should you ever come across a time where you have something done, it would be awesome to see this updated more often. I was slightly dissapointed at how much of a mediocre amount I was able to read, having waited a very long time to read this. I do understand that you have a life, you can't just mass produce this, and can't just sit there forever. I just would love to see more, if it was favorable to your time
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Hey, the last update was not even a week ago.
It's a bit soon to get impatient, isn't it?
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
carrion_crow

Post by carrion_crow »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Hey, the last update was not even a week ago.
I don't know man. Some of these fics are so good, I get impatient right after reading the latest update. :shock:
Akira=Miki>Lily>Emi>Rin>Hanako...........and shizune I guess
SuperfluousU

Post by SuperfluousU »

Wait...did I post this a week early? Must...keep...expectations...low.

But seriously, life does intrude quite a bit, so I do have to space them out for sanity reasons.
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

SuperfluousU wrote:
Wait...did I post this a week early? Must...keep...expectations...low.

But seriously, life does intrude quite a bit, so I do have to space them out for sanity reasons.
To late my expectations are sky high. I can't wait for more.
YourFavAnon

Post by YourFavAnon »

Interesting approach, now that I've actually gotten around to reading both chapters. Very enjoyable to read, I enjoy things that make you think a little bit as you go. I definitely like that you have had these flashbacks recall to something that wasn't just the generic act one of the VN, but something a bit different. Hisao's relationship with his parents seems to be different from most other approaches I've seen. Good work.
I write things occasionally.

Dumps of my 35+ fics can be found here and here (including some non-KS stuff).