Hanako and Hisao –Road to Tokyo Conclusion Update!

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Hoitash

Re: Hanako and Hisao –Road to Tokyo Updated 6/05

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Uh, I was taught to place two periods after a space, one after a comma.
If ..you ..did ..that ..your ..posts ..would ..look ..really ..strange. 8)

Seriously, though, the first thing I do when I get a text to proofread is replace all double blanks with single ones. Repeat if any are found.
I'll see what I can do, but it might be an issue when I start e-publishing... actually single spacing their makes sense, too.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Hoitash wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:

Seriously, though, the first thing I do when I get a text to proofread is replace all double blanks with single ones. Repeat if any are found.
I'll see what I can do, but it might be an issue when I start e-publishing... actually single spacing their makes sense, too.
Dude, I'mma slap you if you keep double-spacing--it's just plain wrong.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Hmm.

As far as I know the forum software actively prevents double/multispacing.

Test, test:
one space
two spaces
three spaces

Yep. So it also says something about this debate, I guess.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

...actually single spacing their makes sense, too.
Too bad the forum software cannot compensate for this as well...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:

Guh, I didn't even notice the switch. :oops:

And that would be pretty darn sophisticated software to resolve a there/their/they're confusion…
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Silentcook wrote:As far as I know the forum software actively prevents double/multispacing.
So, that's why I can't post my stories in the indented format I use in OpenOffice, then? Having to double-space every line break no doubt makes that whole 'page-break' thing more of an issue. To illustrate, this is how my documents look before publishing:Image
Helbereth

Re: Hanako and Hisao –Road to Tokyo Updated 5/22

Post by Helbereth »

Somehow I didn't see the previous update... I blame SWTOR.
“That’s his job,” Emi retorted with a nudge at Kwan.
This is just a nitpick, but, considering the sequence leading up to this line, you might consider swapping the dialogue and exposition portions around so we know she's nudging Kwan before she says that line. Like this:
Giving Kwan a nudge, Emi retorted, “That’s his job.”
Emi groaned, “you, too?”
Were she a little more adept with elder literature, I would expect this line to come out as "Et tu, Hanako?"
“He started it!” Emi yelped at the same time Kenji snapped “she started it!”
I'm not sure two people talking can live on the same line...
placing his bag over his head a she slumped
“It’s alright,” Lilly responded again, her expression neutral, though he mouth seemed a bit tensed.
She was tapping the steering wheel to the music playing from the softly playing music emanating from the speakers, though.
ImagePlural.

Well, now I'm caught up, at least. The shenanigans are just starting, right?
Hoitash

Re: Hanako and Hisao –Road to Tokyo Updated 5/22

Post by Hoitash »

Helbereth wrote:edits.
...I miss your mad editing skillz; thanks for those. I tended to the ones I hadn't gotten to yet, and considered the "et tu" line, but it seemed a little odd coming from Emi. Lilly will toss some Latin at you folks later on, though.
Well, now I'm caught up, at least. The shenanigans are just starting, right?
Oh yes, good sir. Indeed they are just beginning :twisted: :twisted:.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA~! (notice the use of single space :))

...Okay, I start work in three hours, better go to bed. Or watch Youtube -haven't decided yet.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
octovaitor

Post by octovaitor »

The greatest possible end to this story is that the concert they're attending is for Dethklok. And they get to meet them backstage. KS+Metalocalypse=Greatest Crossover ever.

But otherwise, great work so far. The character interaction is delightful.
Well, you can take me for a little while
You can take me, you can make me smile in the end.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

octovaitor wrote:The greatest possible end to this story is that the concert they're attending is for Dethklok. And they get to meet them backstage. KS+Metalocalypse=Greatest Crossover ever.
That might be a bit too much metal for Hanako and Lilly, unfortunately.
But otherwise, great work so far. The character interaction is delightful.
Thanks, glad your enjoying it :).
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Hoitash wrote:That might be a bit too much metal for Hanako and Lilly, unfortunately.
How about Tenacious D, then? Hisao has a little Wonderboy in him, I think, and backstage with Jack Black meeting a 6' blind, blonde, half-Asian, half-Scottish, prim and proper bombshell would be an occasion worthy of song.
Dio can you hear me, I am lost and so alone... I'm askin' for your guidance, won't you come down from your throne!?

(also, yes, I slapped that Lilly and Jack thing together in about 10 minutes using paintbrush)
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Helbereth wrote:
Hoitash wrote:That might be a bit too much metal for Hanako and Lilly, unfortunately.
How about Tenacious D, then? Hisao has a little Wonderboy in him, I think, and backstage with Jack Black meeting a 6' blind, blonde, half-Asian, half-Scottish, prim and proper bombshell would be an occasion worthy of song.
Dethklok is too metal for Hanako and Lilly? :lol:
As long as this isn't when the song "I Ejaculate Fire" is around it'd be fine. the the volume might be much for Lilly.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Hmm. I wonder if Hanako could stand meeting the band without fainting from excitement. Hmm...
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

“The most dangerous thing on the battlefield is a junior officer with a compass and a map.” –General Jenit Sulla

Previous Chapter

Chapter Seven (Hanako): I Can Haz Kitten?

I pulled us into the gas station and eased next to the nearest available pump, triple checking that I had parked with the pump on the proper side. Driving on the left side of the car had been pretty disorienting for the first few minutes, but it wasn’t too hard once I got used to it. The argument hadn’t helped, though; fortunately traffic was light and everyone was preoccupied, or they would have noticed I had swerved a bit into the next lane as I tried to fight my nerves; I’ve never liked conflict.

I didn’t shut the engine off right away, because my CD was playing and I was singing along to the song. When the current song ended, I shut off the engine and gave Hisao a furtive look.

“S-sorry for making all of you w-wait,” I said.

Hisao was smiling, and I felt my guilt ease away. He loved listening to me sing, and knowing he had enjoyed it made it worth the time spent waiting.

“Don’t worry about it,” he said. Glancing behind him, he added, a bit more firmly then was probably necessary, “right, guys?”

“Right,” Kenji grunted, “now everyone out so we can coordinate this stop. Lilly, you need a hand?”

Lilly seemed to take a moment to consider the offer before nodding, “it would be appreciated, and thank you for offering.”

We all filed out of the car, Kenji and Hisao bolting out of their seats to help Lilly and I out. Kenji was many things, but at heart he was a good man. I think Hisao’s more traditional ideas had rubbed off on him. Some of Kenji’s… quirks, had rubbed off on Hisao though, so it was anyone’s guess if it was a worthy trade.

“Thank you, Kenji,” Lilly said as he helped her up and out of the car.

“No prob, Lils,” Kenji said, still wearing his trench coat, sash-scarf, Hisao’s cap, and the MacArthur sunglasses. Coughing to clear his throat, he continued, “Alright, me and Kwan’ll gas up the car. Hisao, you and Lilly sniff out some possible future lunch. If we get it now we can eat it on the road, or at least recon our future options. Emi, you and Hanako go refill our caffeine supply.”

“Tea is down forty percent, coffee thirty-three percent,” Lilly informed us.

Emi raised an eyebrow, “is drinking all this caffeine while sitting in a car all day healthy?”

“You haven’t seen Lilly in caffeine withdrawal,” Hisao said, “it ain’t pretty.”

Emi raised an eyebrow, “How so?”

“She starts singing ‘I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General’,” Hisao answered.

Emi blinked, “that doesn’t sound… so bad.”

“Over and over again,” I added, causing an involuntary shiver as the memories from the last Lent came flooding back to me.

“I’ll be fine,” Lilly interjected, “there’s no need to risk our health on my account.”

“I disagree,” Kenji said, “if I have to listen to you churn out showtunes again I’m gonna join the French Foreign Legion.”

Emi smirked and leered at Kenji, “Is that a promise?”

Kenji ignored her baiting and turned to Kwan, while Lilly hooked her arm with Hisao’s so he could guide her inside. While Emi bolted for the gas station, Kenji walked over to me and handed me a small envelope.

“Just get a small of each,” he stated.

I couldn’t help observing how well the political officer persona fit him. Shoving the random and somewhat unsettling thought aside, I nodded, “o-okay.”

Kenji raised an eyebrow, “you okay?”

“Yeah,” I responded, which I was, “little n-nervous about t-tomorrow, though.”

Kenji grinned and nodded, “one day at a time; let’s get there first.”

I inhaled and exhaled briefly to help control my stuttering, “We shouldn’t have a problem; you planned everything out very well.”

Kenji nodded and patted me on the shoulder, “thanks, I try my damndest. Good luck with the Energizer Bunny.”

I giggled and nodded, making my way to join up with Emi.

The station was almost completely abandoned except for us. An old dark blue Honda coupe was parked in a corner, most likely the employee’s. A beautiful, shining blue Kawazaki motorcycle was parked on the opposite side of the small glass and brick rectangular building, and I couldn’t help staring at it.

I had been considering getting a motorcycle license for a few months at that point. The speed and freedom were really appealing, as was the ability to maintain them myself. I had found some old repair manuals in the library, and they seemed simple enough, though still a lot of work. Some older motorcycles actually needed to be completely disassembled and reassembled every few thousand miles for maintenance.

The lack of people put me at ease, so I didn’t bother covering my facial scars with my hair. As I walked to the station entrance I was surprised to see Emi still outside. She was crouched down next to the entrance door, her eyes wide and a dopey smile plastered on her face. Following her gaze led me to the source of her expression: a small brown kitten was eating out of a can of cat food on the pavement.

“Emi?” I called as I walked over to her.

“Kitty!” she replied, her hands stretched out to grab the little fluffball.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Part II:

Emi’s higher brain functions, you will be missed.

I expected her to immediately grab the little guy and start snuggling him, and squeezing him, and naming him George, and hopefully not getting shot by Kwan. She had more restraint, though, waiting for the kitten to finish eating. The kitten licked its lips, perked its head up at Emi, and said, “Meow?”

“Awwww!” Emi squealed, and proceeded to scoop up the kitten in her arms.

“E-Emi,” I said, “be careful.”

Emi glowered at me, “it’s just a wittle kitty, how much harm can it be?”

“It c-can k-kill a level one wizard,” I stated, then mentally questioned how I knew that in the first place.

Emi rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to the kitten, “you are so adorable, do you have a mommy yet?”

“Meow,” the cat mewled.

Emi carefully inspected the kitten, looking for any kind of identification I suspected.

“Huh,” she said, “it’s a girl.”

“M-must be a stray,” I suggested.

Emi sighed and nodded, “looks like. Poor little thing. I wonder…”

Emi looked at the kitten, who was looking back with impassive, bright green eyes that were of a very similar color to Emi’s, to the can of tuna, and to me. Deciding something, she quickly handed me the kitten and bolted inside the station.

“Emi,” I called, though it was more a sigh of exasperation.

I was holding the kitten in my left hand, and since she was small my other hand was free. I couldn’t see Emi inside, and I had no idea what to do, standing outside holding a kitten.

“Meow,” the kitten said.

“S-sorry,” I said, and absently started scratching the kitten’s head and back.

The kitten started to purr, and I couldn’t help looking down and smiling. She seemed so content in my hand. She didn’t care about my scars, or that my right hand had some rough spots. All she wanted was some food and a rubbed head.

I looked around a bit, seeing if anyone else was nearby. There wasn’t anyone –except for Kwan and Kenji by the car, obviously- so I quietly asked, “d-do y-you have an owner?”

“Meow,” the kitten responded.

“So you’re alone?” I asked.

“Meow.”

“I know what that’s like,” I stated, “it sucks.”

“Meow.”

It occurred to me I was talking to a cat. No, I was having a conversation with a cat. Before I could question what that said about my mental state –which isn’t a fun line of thought on a normal day- the station door opened and Emi jogged out. Her arms were full with a small bag of cat food, cat litter, a fluffy toy on a stick, a small aluminum oil pan, a small plastic toy shovel, and a small oil towel.

“The prices these places charge are insane,” she declared. Her dour face brightened up instantly when she saw me holding the kitten, “you two seem to be getting along.”

I smiled and nodded, “seems so. W-what did you buy?”

Emi grinned and held up her purchases, “supplies! The clerk said the kitten’s been coming around for a few days, and no one’s asked for it or posted any signs or anything. He’s been feeding it, but I asked him if I could adopt her, and he told me to go ahead. He even gave me a fifty percent discount on this stuff –the towel’s a blanket, you see, and the pan’s a litter box.”

I nodded, but couldn’t help asking, “Is adopting her a good idea?”

Emi glowered at me, reminding me a bit of an annoyed sheltie, “well I’m sure as hell not leaving her here to get run over or eaten by a bigger cat! C’mon, we gotta introduce her to everyone!”

Before I could say anything else, Emi had bolted for the car. I sighed and turned to face the car.

“I think you’ll like it with her,” I said to the kitten, “she certainly seems to know what she’s doing.”

Quoth the kitten, “Meow.”

I walked over to the car, where Kwan and Kenji were watching Emi as she jumped up and down in excitement. She said something to the two I couldn’t hear and bolted back into the gas station.

I watched her fly past and turned to look at Kenji, “Where is she going?”

“To get Lilly and Hisao,” he responded, “is that the cat?”

“No, it’s a raven,” Kwan quipped.

Kenji rolled his eyes and sighed, “We can’t afford these kinds of delays. Sure I planned for it, but I was expecting traffic, not animal adoption.”

“It s-sort of just h-happened,” I responded.

“They’re coming,” Kwan declared.

I turned around to see Hisao guiding Lilly back to the car, Emi excitedly jogging around them like a kid pestering her parent’s for a toy. Hisao was holding a small grocery bag, so their search for food had yielded something, at least.

“Found some bread,” he said when they had reached the car, “now what’s this about a kitten?”

“Here,” I said, holding the kitten out in the palm of my hand.

“Isn’t she the cutest thing you ever saw?” Emi cooed.

Hisao smiled, “yes she is… oh, you meant the cat, didn’t you?”

Lilly giggled at that while I blushed and started staring at the pavement.

“Clever,” Emi said. I heard some rustling and looked up just enough to see her dumping the supplies into Kwan’s arms. She grabbed the kitten and held her in her hands, showing her to everyone else and letting Lilly hold and pet her.

“Well, she is certainly soft,” Lilly observed, smiling widely as the kitten licked her face, “and very affectionate, but is keeping her a good idea?”

“Yes!” Emi declared, “there was no way I was gonna leave her to get stepped on, or run over, or eaten! She deserves a good home, and I’m sure Mom won’t mind looking after her when we get back.”

“Emi,” Kwan said to get her attention, “at the risk of sounding like your fa-”

Hisao’s coughing made me and Lilly jump. He had a fist in front of his mouth as he hacked a few times. When he was done he managed to raspily grunt, “sorry, apple skin caught in my throat.”

The glance he exchanged with Kenji, and the flustered look on Kwan’s face said otherwise, however. I tilted my head in confusion as Emi glowered at her boyfriend.

“We’re keeping her!” Emi declared, “I’ve thought it all out. Mom can look after her when we get back, and we can check on her while we’re at the hotel. She’ll be fine in the car if we crack a window and it stays cool in the parking structure because she’s, you know, a cat? They’re low maintenance.”

“Who’ll look after her while you’re driving?” Kwan asked.

Emi blinked, her befuddled expression demonstrating she hadn’t thought of everything.

“I can,” Kenji interjected, “my mom keeps a ton of cats around. Talks to them more then me, actually…”

Slowly and surely, the mystery of why Kenji was so fucked up was being unraveled. Kwan didn’t look pleased with that answer, though. He was staring at Emi with a set expression. Emi sighed.

“C’mon, Kwan-Kwan, please?” she pleaded. To emphasize her point, she held the kitten up so she was looking at Kwan, while at the same time Emi unleashed her puppy-dog eyes.

“Not cool, Emi,” he declared.

I saw Hisao whisper what was happening to Lilly, and she nodded in understanding. We all watched the battle of wills unfold. Emi and the kitten eyed Kwan, Emi’s face an adorable pout of cuteness, and the kitten’s the impassive, adorable face of a kitten.

Kwan’s eyes slowly softened their firm setting. His face twitched, his mouth quirked, and, finally, he groaned and looked away.

“All right, all right, we can keep her!” he snapped, “but you just used your Look for next month!”

“Fair enough,” she said, jumping forward and kissing him full on the mouth.

“Does she have a name yet?” Lilly asked, oblivious to the two’s intimate moment.

“N-not yet,” I answered, as Emi was still lubricating her and her boyfriend’s lips.

Emi broke off the kiss and piped in with, “I was thinking of naming her Miki.”

“Miki?” Hisao asked, “Like Miki Miura?”

“Uh-huh!” Emi agreed, “She’s brown, like Miki, and uh… yeah that’s all I got.”

“As good a name as any,” Hisao said with a shrug, “Speaking of which, anyone heard from her recently? All I got was an email a few weeks ago of her bitching about school work.”

“That’s more than I got,” Emi said, “she was always a tomboy though, preferring to talk to the guys.”

Hisao and I nodded at that. I had managed to invite Miki to a few tea lunches at Yamaku, and she had gotten along well with the two of us. She was a bit too outgoing for Lilly, though, but Lilly never complained. After that she had drifted away from us, and we wouldn’t reconnect until over a decade later. That’s a different story, though, and not mine to tell in any case.

“Ahem,” Kenji declared with a fake cough, “caffeine?”

Emi blinked dumbly a few times before jumping in realization, “oh! Shit, sorry, I forgot! I’ll go get it, you look after Miki,” Emi grabbed Kenji by the collar and growled in his face, “if anything happens to her, I’m gonna rip off your balls with my teeth and mount them on my trophy shelf!”

Kenji responded with a headbutt. Emi let go of Kenji and stepped back, apparently unfazed by Kenji’s rather forceful rebuttal. Er, headbuttal. Smirking, her eyes shimmering mischievously, she bolted for the station. Remembering that I had the money, I followed.

After buying a small black coffee and some black tea, we returned to the car to take our seats. Kenji and Lilly were already in the wayback, while Hisao and I were sitting in the back. Emi took her spot in the driver’s seat while Lilly finished handing out tea, coffee, and snacks from the two coolers.

Kwan was eyeing the directions and map with one eye, and Emi with the other as she readjusted the seat, “you ever drive an American car before?”

“Nope!” Emi chirped.

“…Maybe we should take a few practice laps around the exit, before getting on the road?” he suggested.

Emi tilted her head, then nodded, “yeah, probably a good idea, just lemme get an idea of the pressure I need to exert here.”

“Take your time,” Kenji called from the wayback, “you haven’t eaten up all our lean time yet.”

“Bite me, Four Eyes.”

After a few more moments spent shifting her weight on the pedals, she turned the ignition and gave Bobble Chris a good flick before setting off.
Last edited by Hoitash on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.