Hanako and Hisao –Road to Tokyo Conclusion Update!

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Shail

Re: Hanako and Hisao –Road to Tokyo Updated 8/14

Post by Shail »

Hoitash wrote:
Shail wrote:Keep writing and never finish, the ending is always the worst part ;-;! I look forward to it
I'm not too fond of endings myself, but all good things must come to an end, there is a season for all things, etc, etc.

There's something to be said for closure, too. Besides, an ending is just the start of a new beginning!

Apparently I'm turning into a fortune cookie theologian in my old age...
I have, in all my years of reading, encountered MAYBE 2 good endings out of thousands, and 2 is pushing it. Even when all the bad guys are defeated, every plot point and question has been covered, everything is answered and all is well, I still hate endings. Spin off? Go for it, their boring daily life? Idgaf keep going, 300 pages of them making small talk and doing nothing interesting? Better than an ending. Some things, which didn't really have a major plotline, such as KS, can potentially go on indefinitely, whereas in action based media such as Bleach, eventually you just round out of bad guys to kill, that's ok, take your time, -.- make a new one. I am vehemently apposed to endings, so long as there is something of interest worth going on for. Few and far between are the authors who can make an ending without me wanting to beat them upside the head for shattering my dreams and happiness. Worst still is the authors who simply give up on their readers, and decide to force out a quick and crappy conclusion so that they can "finally have some peace", a good example of this would be the HP series.

The way I see it, there are several types on endings.
The worst: Premature Ending(Good Example: The ending of the good end on the Hanako route on release, it was so terrible I had to download alpha, play it, realise it was better but still unsatisfying, before reading hundreds of pages of Hanako fanfic, I swear if I compiled them all into 1 thread...) the worst way to end is when something just starts, you can't end right after he FINALLY gets the girl! and idk what they were thinking when they made the release because alpha was 100x better and more detailed, not to mention longer.(endrant)
The usual: Normal Ending(Bad guy is defeated, main char + friend/romance interest/etc/dog/w.e look out at the ruins, and say some sappy line like "we can go home now"
The HATED: Bad guy probably finished, sudden cliffhanger? Think of the Eragon series, bad guy finished, main char runs off to raise the next generation as some grandmaster-god raising the next generation of riders?
The "OK": Everything finished, and answered, battle is over, reparations are done, they go home, settle down, happily ever after
The best: [spoiled]What is an ending? There is no ending, simply a prequel, fear not, I love my readers and will make a sequel, and another, and another, and another, until there is such a long series that there is simply no more reason to write anymore, all is answered, all is finished, everyone is pleased, but just in case, here's one more sequel.[/spoiler]

I wantchu to be, the very best, like few authors ever were! To please me, is your real test, happiness is your cause!! You will travel, across the land, searching far and wide, to teach readers to understand, the ending is just a lie!!! Endings! They are terrible tis true!! "its my pen and me" They are my worst enemy! A sequel is my bestest friend! From endings we must defend!! Endings! They are terrible tis truuuee! A sequel for youuu! My love for readers pulls me through! To please me and to please you! Endings, gotta kill them all, gotta kill them aaaaall, endings!

Now go forth grandmaster, with this terrible pep rally, and bring peace to the world of poke- er endings!

Don't be the HP series, stretch it out, longer is better, and Hanako is awesome. I started at the back page of the fanfic forum and have read everything I thought was related to Hanako until I got back to the main page, then sent a few messages to authors who abandoned their work asking them to finish it(I don't have any hopes, but worth a shot)
Nothing truly ends, but is merely forgotten~

I have faith in you, keep it up!
Last edited by Shail on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~I hate endings~ Fan fiction is the only way to keep KS alive!
~The only good ending is a sequel~
~Want to know why I REALLY fucking hate endings? Mirai Nikki Want to know why I love epilogues? Watch the Mirai Nikki OVA
~Mirai Nikki: A perfect example of endings I hate~
Hanako -> Rin -> Shizune -> ? -> ?
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Shail wrote: I have faith in you, keep it up!
Thanks, and look on the bright side: I built this setting, and I intend to use it ('sides, if I don't do that Thanksgiving Special, Cpt Salsa would be ticked.)
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Shail

Post by Shail »

I updated my post with the typical "endings" that most authors use, with an example of a good one. Plus a pep rally that I completely made up by myself *cough*
~Want to know why I REALLY fucking hate endings? Mirai Nikki Want to know why I love epilogues? Watch the Mirai Nikki OVA
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Shail wrote:Image
Very few authors share your views on the subject, which may explain your disappointment. That may have something to do with the "everyone is pleased" part of your statement, which is just plain freakin' impossible.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Shail

Post by Shail »

Silentcook wrote:
Shail wrote:Image
Very few authors share your views on the subject, which may explain your disappointment. That may have something to do with the "everyone is pleased" part of your statement, which is just plain freakin' impossible.
This is true, many people enjoy happy endings, some oddballs like sad endings, some people like no endings. I personally know far more people who enjoy no endings than I do of the other two combined however, but that is from a readers perspective, the rare occasions where I act as the author I have to say I understand why they would want an ending, making quality work that is long enough to be pleasing can be really difficult, especially when you lack artistic creativity and get writers block all the time(My manga is not going so well, who would have guessed) However, even as the author I do my best to make the endings as acceptable as possible. Every question answered, no cliffhangers(unless I plan on coming back), sometimes an epilogue when I think it's appropriate.

Whether it's writing or reading, endings are never fun for me, but I can understand why most authors choose to end their stories. It's because they are evil heartless monsters who hate their readers and fanbase It doesn't mean I like it though, the writers who carry on with the incredibly long stories, long enough that most people just give up reading it, those are my favorite. A good example of things not needing to end is Dragon Ball first it's a kid, who grows up, then it's his kid(?), and he acts as the parent.

Stories never end, writers simply give up.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I’d give my signed School Rumble second season DVD set to be there
Blasphemy!
Also, a concert-long international call to Vancouver is going to cost quite a bit...
“Namie Amuro?”
Hehe. Misha should have noticed that...
shail wrote:I wantchu to be, the very best...
Moderately relevant.
A good example of things not needing to end is Dragon Ball...
I think Dragonball is one of the prime examples of why some stories shouldn't be allowed to drag on indefinitely...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Blasphemy!
Also, a concert-long international call to Vancouver is going to cost quite a bit...
I prefer the first season; less drama, more hijinks.

And as for the call, well, this is Lilly we're talking about.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
demonix

Post by demonix »

Hoitash wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:
Blasphemy!
I prefer the first season; less drama, more hijinks.

And as for the call, well, this is Lilly we're talking about.
I was going to say 'don't underestimate the stinking rich' to the phone call statement, but you saved me some of the effort although I don't know if there are mobile networks in Japan that offer dirt cheap international calling rates (there are a few virtual networks in the UK that offer cheap international call rates).
Dumanios

Post by Dumanios »

Good chapter, chap.
Never mind all the women! Their fucking everywhere, man!
Ahem.
RedRover

Post by RedRover »

The thought that this is ending makes me sad. Then I think of what the next story could be about, and I'm happy again. :D
"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated." -Confucius
Quotes are fun.
I have a oneshot about little ol' Suzu. Read it! Or don't.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Dumanios wrote:Good chapter, chap.
Never mind all the women! Their fucking everywhere, man!
Ahem.
Whoops, thanks for that (fixed) :).
RedRover wrote:The thought that this is ending makes me sad. Then I think of what the next story could be about, and I'm happy again. :D
Never underestimate the depths of insanity I am willing to burrow for the sake of a good story :). Especially with Halloween only a few months away :wink:.
Shail

Post by Shail »

Hrm, I keep thinking that Release -> Sisterhood -> RtT makes a really, really good storyline o-o. Anyone else think so? They almost seem canon in their accuracy/quality.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Shail wrote:Hrm, I keep thinking that Release -> Sisterhood -> RtT makes a really, really good storyline o-o. Anyone else think so? They almost seem canon in their accuracy/quality.
Sisterhood did influence my thoughts regarding Hisao's and Hanako's relationship -and even Hanako's and Lilly's and Lilly's and Shizune's- which is more or less the case for everyone who read it, I'd say :).
Shail

Post by Shail »

Maybe it's just me but it seems like a lot of the "OC details" invented in SH and RrT are used by a lot of other fanfics, anyone else think so?
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

“May he then remember his beloved.
May he hear her sweet song like a dove.
To his last breath may he guard his homeland.
Like Katyusha guards their tender love.” –Katyusha (translated English lyrics)

Previous Chapter

Chapter Seventeen (Hanako): Cossacks and Cocktails

Wherever Misha was leading us, it was in a less built up part of the city. The kind of place where you have lots of plazas filled with cafes, liquor stores, memorabilia merch shops, and tabletop wargaming stores (one of which distracted Hisao with an Imperial Guard display.)

I was surprised such a part of the city was so deep within it. The area’s sparseness and under-built atmosphere made me nervous, but it was well lit and maintained, and not very crowded. Men and women in casual business-ware were meandering around, mixed in with small groups of people in their mid-twenties. A few looked like they had come from the concert, but most seemed to be going about their normal business. The lack of major crowding and the cover of night helped keep me calm, even if the area itself looked a little creepy.

“We’re here~!” Misha declared with a flourish, not long after leaving the stadium’s grounds and entering this older part of town.

“Here” turned out to be an old brick building that looked like it belonged in a small Eastern European town, and not the middle of Tokyo. A large sign above the dark wooden door declared the place to be “Bar and Grill”, with some Cyrillic letters before the kanji that I didn’t recognize, but earned an amused smirk from Kenji.

“Clever,” he remarked.

Misha nodded, “He thinks so, at least~.”

Emi, tilting her head at the sign in confusion, blinked and stated, “I don’t get it.”

“The word before Bar is the Russian word for bar,” Kenji explained, “so it basically says ‘Bar Bar and Grill.”

“Yup, yup~!” Misha declared.

Smiling lightly at the word play, if you could call it that, I continued to examine the building. Two large rectangular tinted windows flanked the door, one of which bore a glowing neon sign declaring “open” in kanji hanging from the inside. Lilly, who I was guiding again because Kwan and Hisao were playing pack mule for our purchases, titled her head quizzically at me. I leaned closer and gave her a brief description of our surroundings, which earned me an appreciative nod.

“So,” Hisao asked, “where exactly is here?”

“You’ll see~,” Misha replied, opening the door and gesturing for us to enter with a wide smirk.

I glanced at everyone to gauge their responses. Kwan nodded and wandered in. After a glance and shrug at me, Emi quickly followed. Hisao caught my eye and I nodded, and he followed after them. Lilly gave me a reassuring nod, and I led her into the bar, Kenji close behind.

The inside was rather Western, with round and square tables scattered to the door’s right, and a long bar counter to the left, parallel to the wall. The opposite wall had several framed images I couldn’t identify, under which two weary men in their early twenties appeared to be playing five finger filet. A few tables were occupied with middle aged and older men, who eyed us warily as we entered. Their intense gaze caused me to shuffle behind Lilly a bit, my right hand momentarily wanting to cover my face, despite that arm being locked with Lilly’s.

Misha, who had moved to the front of the group after closing the door behind us, gave a cheery wave to the seated patrons. The men nodded and waved back, smirking lightly. The bar itself was empty, and the bartender himself seemed to be an older man with grizzled white hair and wiry frame. He was currently hunched down under the counter, facing towards us but unable to see us.

“Uncle Grigori~!” Misha shouted, making the rest of us flinch, “I’m baaack~!”

The bar tender perked his left ear towards her voice and slowly looked up from his stooped position. When he saw Misha he grinned widely and returned the shout with an equal one of his own, “Misha! When did you come back from the States?”

At that point Misha pelted forward, vaulting over and behind the bar counter and grabbing the older man in a fierce hug, which he returned eagerly. The two held each other for a moment before breaking out into a frenzied conversation in Russian.

I glanced at Kenji at the same time Hisao did; Kenji was a bit of a savant with languages, and back then was already dabbling in Russian, French, and of course, English.

Kenji listened for a moment before saying, “They’re just saying hi and catching up and stuff. I think.”

I nodded and turned to look at Misha. She had broken off the hug and leapt back over the counter. With a sweeping gesture and a wide grin, she motioned to us and stated, “Uncle Grigori, these are some friends of mine- Kwan, Emi, Hisao, Lilly, Hanako, and Kenji.”

“Pleased to meet you,” we all said with a light bow.

“The pleasure is mine!” Grigori declared, his voice loud and cheerful, “Come, sit, I’ll get the cook’s off their asses and to work on some food for you.”

Grigori turned around and barked in Russian at the two young men as they played their psychotic knife game. The two men responded and heaved themselves up, meandering to a back door built into the far wall I hadn’t noticed before.

“Come on, come on~!” Misha stated, “Sit, sit~!”

Feeling both underdressed, out of place, and mildly confused, we all slowly took our seats. Kenji, Hisao, and Kwan took the left-most seats with Emi, Lilly, myself, and Misha taking the next four. It felt good to rest my feet, which was probably one reason I wasn’t more nervous. Though Grigori’s genial nature no doubt helped with that as well.

“You’re probably wondering how Misha knows me,” Grigori said with a smirk.

“The thought did cross my mind,” Kenji stated.

“He’s my uncle from another grandmother~!” Misha declared.

We all blinked in confusion, except Lilly, who settled for an expression of mild befuddlement.

Grigori smiled and chuckled. Tapping a faded black and white photo along the wall across from us that showed two middle-aged men –one Japanese, one not, though he did look to have some steppe-like features- standing behind two young boys –again, one Japanese, one not- he said, “Our families have known each other for a long time. My grandfather fled Russia during the Civil War, stopped in Japan, and never left.”

“That must’ve got rough during the war years,” Kenji remarked.

Grigori shrugged, “It was what it was. Getting here was the tricky part, according to my grandfather. It is truly a wondrous tale, too! One that I would be delighted to share with you all, but, stories are for later; what would you like to drink and eat?”

After placing our drink and food orders, Grigori went to work, easily chatting as he did so, even when he paused to go bark at the kitchen staff. Once the drinks were served and the food on its way, he proceeded to regale us with his stories, no doubt excited at having a new audience. It was really one long epic, involving his grandfather and most of his family –a few urbanite cousins had joined up with the Reds- as they struggled east to Vladivostok.

With the Trans-Siberian Railway under constant attack, they had to go on foot for the bulk of the journey. On the way to linking up with the 31st Infantry Regiment of the American Expeditionary Force Siberia, and the part of the railway they protected, the band of refugees apparently had to fend off bitter weather, raiding Cossacks, rioting peasants, and roving bands of Soviet soldiers, along with Tsarist loyalists who were apparently too poorly disciplined or too pissed off to care who they shot at.

The guys were completely enthralled, listening with rapt attention. Emi half-listened as she sipped her strawberry daiquiri, Grigori’s animated method of storytelling managing to keep her mildly interested, it seemed. It also helped explain why Misha was so loud; Grigori was evidently deaf in his right ear, and spoke nearly as loudly as his adopted niece. Lilly was half-listening out of politeness, though she seemed to be enjoying the story; perhaps all the drama and tension fit into her mystery genre preferences. Or she just didn’t have anything else to do, as I was presently focusing on Misha, who seemed to be drinking her dinner.

The food arrived quickly, consisting mostly of sample platters, though Kenji had ordered a pizza, and Lilly had ordered some scotch eggs and a draft stout, to everyone’s surprise. Her defense was that such a combination was traditional, so we let it go. The food’s arrival barely broke Grigori’s stride, and his tale continued as we ate. Most of us, at least.

Misha, probably having heard the same stories a million times over, continued to work her way through a liquid meal, her golden eyes unfocused as she stared blankly at the wall. Occasionally she picked at some food, but she didn’t appear to be hungry as she worked her way through a myriad of brightly colored cocktails. Neither behavior struck me as normal for Misha, or particularly healthy for anyone. Since I was sitting next to her, I decided to say something; she was clearly upset about something, and I was starting to get an idea of what that something might be.

“A-are you okay?” I asked her.

Misha smiled goofily at me and nodded, “Sure, sure~. Why wouldn’t I be?”

I wrung my hands, unsure if I should mention my earlier speculation about her and Shizune. If she was going to try and drink her problems away, though, I felt like I had to say something.

“W-well…” I started, “I was just th-thinking, things between you and Sh-Shizune might be a bit rough, with you being in America.”

Misha waved her hand airily, nearly knocking over an empty glass in the process, “WAHAHAHA~! We’re fine~. Fine~!”

Shaking my head slightly to stop the ringing her laugh had caused, I asked, ““Have you talked to her since you were back in Japan?”

Misha blinked and stared at me, her goofy smile replaced with a thoughtful expression. Putting down her emptied drink, she slowly signed out, [How’s your sign language?]

I blinked and slowly responded, [Poor.] Raising an eyebrow, I asked, “Why do you ask?”

Misha shrugged and waved for another drink, “Just curious if you’ve been keeping at it~.”

I frowned as Grigori appeared to place a drink on the counter. Collecting the empty ones, he caught my eye and jerked his head at Misha. Hoping I understood correctly, I nodded stiffly. Grigori smiled and retreated.

I moved to grab a mozzarella stick from a nearby platter. When Misha moved to grab her new drink, I used my free hand to snatch it before she could.

Misha blinked slowly at me, her eyes blearily eyeing me, the drink, and then me again, “What are you doing, Hana…cchan~?”

“I think you’ve had enough,” I declared, pulling the drink towards me.

Misha eyed the drink again, then sighed and reached for some sesame balls on a nearby plate, “Probably~… you can have it…”

I nodded and took a sip of the drink, which turned out to be a double pomegranate martini. Eyeing Misha as she fiddled with the ball in her hands, I said, “So, something is wrong between you and Shizune?”

Misha sighed and nodded, apparently giving in to my pestering in lieu of drinking her problems away, “We had a fight.”

“About anything specific?” I asked while I munched on the stick.

Misha nodded, eyeing my new drink sadly before popping the sesame ball into her mouth, “Yep~.”

“Wanna talk about it?” I asked, getting an idea of what it was like talking to me when I was depressed.

Misha shakily straitened herself up a bit, turning to face me completely. Her eyes were watery and bloodshot, the warmth of their dark amber bleached away. Slowly, she nodded.

“Take your time,” I stated, sipping my drink.
Last edited by Hoitash on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.