Collateral Damage [Emi's accident]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Iskander66

Collateral Damage [Emi's accident]

Post by Iskander66 »

Code: Select all

I always wondered what happened to her eight years ago; yesterday, to my horror, I realized that one of my characters did it.
The car rested upside down. About what I thought, she said to herself. Walking closer, she saw the glass of the shattered sidelites intermixed with various fluids beginning to leak from the engine. No smoke. Good, she thought.

Walking around to the driver’s side, she noted him suspended in his seatbelt, unconscious. This would have been easier if you were not so safety-conscious. A low moan from next to him told her the girl lived as well. I have only minutes before the emergency vehicles arrive; go with the plan.

Leaning down, she first made sure the girl was to concussed to follow what she was doing. Then, showing surprising strength, with her right arm she slammed the man into the steering column. That will account for this… “Stop, now,” she said, with her left hand across his sternum. The beating ended abruptly.

Now for you, she thought, walking around to the car’s other side. The girl had regained a bit more awareness and was beginning to whimper.
“Dad… Dad, what happened?... Dad…” The little girl cried.
She squatted down. The girl lolled her head around.
“Who… what happened? My Dad….” She sobbed.
“Sleep, now.” She gestured over the little girl’s face. The crying ended. A look into the car told her the girl’s legs would go just below the knee. Excellent.

Standing, she retreated to where she’d watched the rollover. Retrieving a three-meter metallic pole of about two centimeters diameter, she returned to the car. Faintly, she heard the sirens.
The mass increase on the downswing should be enough. Raising the pole above her like a sword, she quickly brought it down across the front end of the overturned car. With a scream of tortured metal, the front end crashed inwards and down. With a sharp pop, the pole vanished. The sirens were closer.
Moving quickly to the girl’s side and looking in, she saw the left leg was severed below the knee and the right almost so. Death from blood loss or shock was not a part of the plan. She placed both hands lightly onto the girl’s shoulder and muttered something. Time to go.
She ran back into the trees at the curve in the road just as the first EMS came into view. She smiled. Good job.

and-so-you-were-successful?
Their thoughts again pressed into her mind. “Yes, of course.” She replied.
yet-the-child-lives.
“With her feet gone, there is no chance of her manifesting her ability.” That, at least, was true. Her next answer would be very, very dangerous.
yet-the-bloodline-survives-it-must-be-ended.
Remember what Montrose told you. “Her injuries are such that her womb is broken; children are impossible.” Lie. A lie out in the open. She tried to remain relaxed as ever… awaiting disembodiment.
we-see-yet-do-not-approve-you-taking-such-liberty-with-orders.
She said nothing. Waiting.
go

Three months, plus, prior:
Naked, she stood in a small circle of light. About her were some smaller rocks resting on stone and sand. Beyond the light the darkness was impenetrable and silent. In the air before her hung an image about a foot across of a young man. Some Oriental, she noted. Why is the Far East troubling Them so much these years?
The pressure began; how had Cathbad put it? “Imagine the Moon, sitting on your mind.” Typical Celt: always the right turn of phrase. The pressure increased. They were here.
he-must-die
“Alright.” Wet work, then. She’d hoped to be out of that. Another image appeared next to the first. A young girl… eleven years old, perhaps.
she-as-well.
This was NOT what she planned as her penultimate mission. “Why the child?” They did not appreciate questions. She no longer appreciated Them.
she-carries-his-blood-likely-the-talent-as-well-they-already-run-together.
Dammit! Curse you cowardly, dithering…. “I shall take care of her.” The truth. A lie.
go.

One hour prior:
She sat on a rock just off from the road. The planning was done in a week: remote road, up over a rise, curve left. She would ambush them here. Mass control was a simple mix of Dark Matter and Monad manifestation. The car should flip nicely.

The other eleven weeks she had spent doing two things: letting that family have some last time together, and pissing off her controllers. She kept adding more and more time to her missions. Next one, by the time They realized what she’d done, she just might be long gone.
It bothered her to kill again. Saving his daughter would not atone for it, she knew, but maybe… it was a start. Maybe they will just kill me, instead.

My next assignment will be to go for him… I have put this off for too long and They are becoming suspicious. I wonder how long before I come back. He was Oriental, too. Perhaps I shall be coming back here, to Japan. She sighed and stood.

They should be along in half an hour. She took out a cell phone and dialed. “There’s been a terrible car accident… a man is hurt and a little girl bleeding… no, I do not want to get involved… follow this phone’s GPS signal.” Still active, she tossed the phone into the bushes. And waited.

Code: Select all

Not sure why I cannot indent paragraphs and such.  Oh, well, sorry about what we did to Emi!
centurion911

Re: Collateral Damage [Emi's accident]

Post by centurion911 »

I'm not sure where this is going but I'm interested
Iskander66

Post by Iskander66 »

centurion911 wrote:I'm not sure where this is going but I'm interested
You flatter me. This is just a short little one-shot that appeared in my head late last night.

Inspired by KS, a colleague of mine and I took a page from their book and, in five months, created our own VN, Act I of which you may download here. I've been working on the production notes for the remaining 100,000 words, playing with ideas. This was one result of that play, and I thought it worth posting.

This only place this might 'go' will be a reference in Aris' path about "her last assignment" or maybe "a girl gifted like Aoi." Or, it might go somewhere else. We shall see.

Thank you again for your interest!
centurion911

Post by centurion911 »

Iskander66 wrote:
centurion911 wrote:I'm not sure where this is going but I'm interested
You flatter me. This is just a short little one-shot that appeared in my head late last night.

Inspired by KS, a colleague of mine and I took a page from their book and, in five months, created our own VN, Act I of which you may download here. I've been working on the production notes for the remaining 100,000 words, playing with ideas. This was one result of that play, and I thought it worth posting.

This only place this might 'go' will be a reference in Aris' path about "her last assignment" or maybe "a girl gifted like Aoi." Or, it might go somewhere else. We shall see.

Thank you again for your interest!
Interesting. I may read this in my free time. Thanks for the concise explaination :)