Empty Hallways

WORDS WORDS WORDS

cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Empty Hallways

Post by cpl_crud »

Scene Test

This scene is being written, admittedly, for my own reasons. It should fit in Emi’s path, shortly after she loses her legs, probably after the denial of selection.

Thanks to TC for the original idea.

The scene happens after school (whilst Emi is still going). Hisao has taken to pushing Emi around in her wheelchair.

Actually, I think this would be her first day back at school in a wheelchair.

~Empty Hallways~

“The carillon bells chime out, signalling the conclusion of the day. In a moving mass of human flesh, the room clears out. By the time I have packed my bag, I am alone in the classroom.”

“By the time I step out into the hallway, all that remains of the students of my class are the echoes of rushed footsteps and excited voices.”

“I turn my back to the noises, and head towards the sliding door of Emi’s classroom.”

“Darkness come early to the Eastern Hallway of the main hall, and today was no exception. The dwindling autumn sun has already set behind the main building, leaving the hallway in an eerie twilight.”

“I open the door, and the darkness of the hall is penetrated by orange sunlight. Blinking against the sudden glare, I spy a torso in silhouette, framed by the window.”

“Emi is slumped in her chair. Her pigtails, which once had to chase her and her excitement, now hung over her shoulders, limp and unkempt. Her gaze seems to be firmly fixed on the floor, but it quickly became obvious that her focus was on nothing in this world.”

“Was I wrong in convincing her to come today?”

hi “Hey there, are you good to go?”

e “…”

“Her silence is like an arrow through my chest. I knew I shouldn’t have made her come.”

hi “Come on, I’ll make you some dinner…”

“I cross the classroom, and grip the handlebars of the wheelchair. Emi barely reacts as I start to manoeuvre her toward the hallway. Her head bobs slightly with the motion of the chair, but apart from that her body is as still as a corpse.”

“The silence is suffocating, so I try to bring Emi into conversation.”
hi “I’ve heard that the best way to deal with a setback is to make sure you keep yourself busy. It stops you dwelling on things beyond your control.”

e “…”

“As we make our way down the hall at a turtle’s pace, the gloom takes on a reddish tinge. Light from the setting sun is reflecting off the glazed tiles of the Great Hall, brining with it the crimson of the ancient ceramic.”

“With each silently passing second, the hall became brighter, redder, as the sun continued in its endless procession.”

“I looked down at Emi. In the red light, her blonde hair looked like it was soaked in dye, blood red dye.”

hi “I’ve never seen this hall like this, have you?”

e “…”

hi “Emi? Have you…”

SFX: Crash

“Suddenly, the wheelchair swerved to the left and slammed into the wall.”

hi “Emi! Oh my god I’m so sorry! I…”

e “stop” (ED: this is not a mistake.)

“Emi’s voice was barely there – I’m not even sure if she had spoken.”

hi “Emi? Did you say something.”

e “Stop…. just… stop.”

“Through the handlebars of the wheelchair I felt a susurration, and I heard the handrail that ran the length of the corridor rattle in harmony with the wheelchair.”

“Looking at the handrail, I noticed Emi’s hand gripping the handrail tightly, almost hidden in the dim, red light.’

“That explains the crash, I guess.”

hi “Okay, we can stop here for a bit. Are you feeling ok? Are your legs hurting? Can I get…”

e “STOP! JUST STOP! STOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOP!”

“Emi turned in the chair to face me, her face a mess of red light and black shadow. From her eyes flowed rivers of tears- these two were tinted red, giving the impression that the small girl was crying blood.”

“I recoil in surprise from the sudden change in volume. The outburst rang true up and down the hall, its echo seeming to never fade away.”

hi “Stop… what? Pushing?”

e “Stop… everything. Stop talking. Stop pushing. Stop being here. Just… just … just stop.”

“Emi’s voice had returned to the whisper of her first utterance; her throat raw.”

hi “…”

“It now seems to be my turn to remain silent. Slowly, the faint sounds of clubs practicing on the distant oval penetrate the soundless hall.”

“Emi grabs hold of the driving rings on the wheelchair, and backs herself away from the wall. The chair’s bearings squeak gently as she inches forward down the hall.”

“Not knowing what to do, I trail behind her at a safe distance.”

e “You don’t have to follow me.”

hi “I might not have to, but I want to. Something’s wrong, and I want to help.”

e “Please don’t.”

hi “Why not? Why can’t I want to help you?”

“Without warning, Emi’s grip on the driving rings tightens, and in the blink of an eye, she’s racing down the hall at a blinding pace.”

“I have no time to think or to call out. All I can do is try to break into a sprint to keep pace. Still she pulls away.”

“She looks over her shoulder.”

e “DON’T FOLLOW ME!”

“With her attention divided, she fails to notice a subtle change in her direction.”

hi “Look out!”

“Emi faces forward, just in time to see the garbage bin in front of her. She clamps down on the left wheel, and the chair narrowly misses the obstacle.”

“But now, the chair is out of control, spearing towards the other side of the hall. Rubber screams on linoleum tiles as Emi tries to tame her metal throne.”

“Swallowing down the rising bile in my chest, I increase my pace, but too late.”

hi “Emi!”

“I leap forward, coming within millimetres of the wheelchair as it plummets down the stairwell. The cry of tortured metal drowns out Emi’s screams as she is flung from the chair.”

“In less than a second, it is over, and the only motion at the bottom of the stairs is a wheel slowly spinning to a stop.”

hi “Emi? Emi!?”

“I clamber to my feet and nearly fall down the stairs as I rush to Emi’s prone form. I drop to my knees and grab her shoulders. Her shirt is torn, and through it I see deep blue bruises starting to form.”

e “Just… just leave me here.”

hi “Don’t be silly. You chair is trashed, and you look pretty beat up. Should I get the nurse..?”

“Emi snaps her head around to look at me, her ruined pigtails whipping around her face in the process.”

e “No! No more doctors! No more nurses! Just… just… just…”

“Her voice trails off, and once again a shimmer of tears gather in her eyes.”

hi “Just take you home? I think I can manage that.”

e “what about the chair?”

hi “Don’t worry about it, I’ll come back for it later.”

“I gather Emi up in my arms, surprised at just how light she is. She clamps her arms around my neck, and buries her face in my chest.”

e “I don’t want to be seen like this anymore.”

“I give her a little squeeze. She winces slightly, but says nothing.”

hi “I think I know a back way; we’ll be able to avoid a lot of people.”

“From my chest I feel Emi nod her head. Outside, the sun continues to set, and the schoolyard lamps automatically light up. We sneak out the main doors, down the sakura-lined avenue to the main gate.”

“Emi remains silent as we circle the school on the outside of the fence. By the time we reach the small back gate of the school, the sun has set, the day yielding to a moonless night.”

hi “Hey, can you grab the gate for me? My hands are kinda… occupied.”

“Emi pulls away from my chest, and releases the catch on the gate. By the time it swings inwards, she is already hugging my neck once more. But, this time, her head is level with mine, her lips touching my ears.’

“She whispers.”

e “Thank you.”

“I feel a slight shift, and she gently kisses my cheek. Her hair, now matted, brushes against my face, and the mixed scent of her and her shampoo fills my nostrils.”

hi “Don’t mention it.”

“As the stars begin to fill the cobalt blue of the night sky, we sneak into the rear entrance of Emi’s dorm.”
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

complete version posted.

Critisim accepted.

Also, if you ;_;ed a bit, lemme know.

Finally, no, I don't enjoy beating up on the girls, nor hisao. However, I just seem to find that they put themselves in harms way a bit too often.