'Lost Opportunities'

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

'Lost Opportunities'

Post by Silentcook »

...Quite aside from the fact that the codes likely won't make much sense to casual readers, kindly notice the 'nosex' tag. Pervs. :mrgreen: Thanks to Hive for giving me info and granting me the go-ahead on this one, without knowing what I was going to write except in the most general way. :)
Storycodes: emi emm hi nk nosex

LOST OPPORTUNITIES

---

Once again, here I go into the breach... well, let's see.
Uniform: check. White coat duly discarded for more casual wear.
Weaponry: check. Box of freshly-made Black Forest cake firmly in hand.
Courage: check. Ready to withstand the assault.
No helping it then. Time to put it on the line.
With firmness and decision, I press the button set under the 'Ibarazaki' plaque once.
And with swift, terrible retribution the storm troops respond...

'NURSE!'

A familiar set of pigtails, round green eyes and happy grin opens the front door, streaks through the few meters to my location and cannonballs into my chest.
'Whoof. Easy, Emi, with every day that passes you run faster and I go slower. One of these times you'll hit me before I've rung the bell.'
I deliver the mock reproach along with a fond pat on her head, and she lets go of the clinch to bop me on my arm.
'Would serve you right. Mom 'forgot' to let me know you were coming over, and you didn't mention ANYTHING at school, you jerk.'
We keep jokingly swapping jibes while we walk past the door and I get rid of my shoes. 'Pardon me.'
'Welcome.' She comes out of the kitchen, rubbing her hands on her apron. Tall and elegant even in that, she has pinned up her long dark hair for cooking.
'Mom! Look at what the cat accidentally dragged in, hmmm?'
'Be nice, Emi. Ah, give me that, Nurse. Dinner's almost ready, so you can just go relax for a while - if Emi's going to let you, that is.'
The amused grin and sparkle in her eyes are mirrors of her daughter's.
'HEY!! No fair, two against one. What happened to "being nice"?'
'Afraid it went the way your food goes - there for a moment, then vanished without a trace. Come on, kiddo, keep me company, so we stay out of your mom's hair.'

The food is delicious, as always. It's a mistery to my bachelor palate how she can prepare such things without at least taking a day off, yet she manages every time and assures me it's not that much effort.
I sigh happily, savouring every bite, unlike somebody else at the table... it's also a mystery how Emi can inhale her portion like that and not swell visibly, but I've seen it happen often enough to not marvel at it anymore.
'So, Emi, are there any plans for after dinner?'
Emi reacts by coughing a little and taking a swig of water before responding.
'Umm, actually I'll be going soonish. Me and Hisao had plans for tonight. Kinda sorta.'
Mumbling that, she looks sheepish, chopsticks stuck in her mouth and puppy-eyes turned full force in my direction.
'Ah, so. No matter, I'll just keep your mother company for a little while then. Don't do anything I wouldn't.' Immediately, I wave her off, and wink in what I hope is a solemn way.
The synchronized giggles from them both inform me of my failure. At least Emi has the good grace to look a little bit embarrassed, unlike her mother.
'I'm sorry, Nurse, really, but I didn't know you were coming over until the last minute. SOMEBODY neglected to tell me.'
Even as she tries to sound contrite, she waggles her eyebrows pointedly at the two of us.
'It just slipped my mind, Emi. And you didn't seem half as sorry when you realized you wouldn't have to help me cooking.'
Hmm. There's something a little off in this situation... but I'm not quite sure yet.
'Hehe. Sooo... what about dessert?'
Farewell, Black Forest cake. It was good knowing you.

As dinner is winding down the doorbell rings, and Emi stands up and is off like a shot.
'That must be Hisao!' Her delighted voice drifts from the hallway, receding along with the sound of her steps.
'Oy, oy. That poor boy is going to get mauled as well. Ah well, fair's fair, I suppose.'
A little laughter at this, hand going in front of her mouth. 'Getting jealous that you aren't the only one anymore?'
'Actually yeah, a little bit. There's something to be said in favor of cute young girls jumping at you.' I raise my eyebrows and adopt an innocent look.
More steps are heard, quickly coming back and going upstairs. 'Argh, where did I leave my purse! Purse purse purse...'
She laughs even more.
'Oh dear. I think I had better let him in or he might end up staying out in the cold for a while. Excuse me.'
She stands up, and flicking back her hair disappears down the hallway, leaving me to nurse my hot tea.
It's just a few moments until her and Nakai are back.

'Hello there, Nakai. How're things?'
'...Nurse? Ah, good evening. Everything's well, I suppose.'
He bows somewhat stiffly, clearly embarrassed at being alone with the two adults who are closest to Emi. I guess he's having flashes of a 'conversation with parents' scenario right now.
He's actually well turned out, too. Neatly dressed and everything. So I have heart and try to rescue him.
'Want some cake? You get this one chance before Emi makes it disappear.'
He smiles thinly. 'Ah... no thank you. I'm not sure she would forgive me if I snatched that away from her.'
'She would forgive you far more than that, and you know it, Hisao. Don't be embarrassed. Please do sit down.' Inviting him, she does just that and pours an extra mug of tea.
After a moment of hesitation, Hisao complies and accepts the hot drink.
'Thank you, ma'am. But I'll pass on the cake, really. I run enough in the mornings as it is.'
A shared grin passes through us, Hisao's maybe a touch rueful.
'Don't let her bully you too much, Hisao. My daughter needs someone to put his foot down and stand firm, now and then. Consider it a request of help from her poor, beleaguered mother.'
The boy does an admirable job of not choking on his tea, and I hide my smile with a hand as well, after hearing this line delivered with perfect seriousness. Or apparently so.
'Ah... yes, ma'am. I'll keep that in mi-'
'HISAO! There you are. Off we go. Bye Mom, Nurse.'
Interrupted midword by the Hurricane Emi, poor Nakai barely manages to rush through his goodbyes along with her, before being bodily dragged off. Seconds later, the front door slamming punctuates their departure.
'I don't think he will be able to quite pull that off yet, "ma'am"'.
'Mmm-hmmm.'

With the kids gone, the house has become quiet. We both had a glass of wine, a perk of maturity that we couldn't really enjoy while Emi and Hisao were around. Youth trumps responsibility, once again.
She has gone into the kitchen to clean up, refusing my offer of help as usual and biding me to sit. 'You're a guest, so behave like one. I'll be back in just a few minutes.'
Swirling the clear liquid around the glass, I look into it for answers. I find none. If answers were to be found in alcohol, we'd all be drunk all the time.
Her voice comes back from the kitchen, over the vague tinkling noises. 'What do you think of those two? You see them more often than I do, after all.'
'...I think that you got them out of the way on purpose tonight.'
A chuckle. 'You would be right. But seriously, are they doing well at school?'
I sip at the wine. 'Yeah, they are okay. They are good kids, the both of them. Got their heads screwed on right.'
'That's a relief. I always wonder, and feel so helpless when I can't spend more time with Emi... you've always been a great help to me.'
'It's my pleasure. I'm even proud of the way she's turning out, though I guess it's a little inappropriate for someone outside the family to be...'
'Then why don't you consider removing the inappropriateness?'

I freeze as she says this, poking her head out of the kitchen door and shaking out her hair.
'NOW I see why you got them out of the way. You don't mess around, do you?'
'I don't, and you're evading.'
As naturally as though we were discussing the weather, she walks around me with a pile of plates and I hear them clinking into place as she starts storing them away.
'I think that would be moving entirely too fast.'
'Neither of us is growing any younger, Nurse. And I'd like... for things to be more normal in the household. Though I understand your concerns. Forgive me for springing this on you. Then...'
I'm mesmerized by the reflection of my face in the wine.
'Well, not tonight, but... would you mind spending the night here sometime?'
A pair of hands cross in front of me, and a pair of soft breasts press firmly against the back of my neck. Her voice floats down from just above my head.
'You know very well that Emi would not raise any problems. She adores you.'
'As the friendly, big-brotherly nurse. As someone closer... maybe she would not be quite so thrilled. And there are, well, practicalities to consider.'
She sighs. It is utterly distracting... and I think she is doing it on purpose.
'It would also be extremely impolite of me to take advantage of an older lady.'

Smack!

Ow... it's not like I wasn't expecting something like this, but the sharp rap on my head is delivered hard enough to make me see a few stars, and followed up by an "Ass." pronounced in a perfectly calm and even tone.
...Ah, the sacrifices we make to escape sticky situations.
'I should sue you for misuse of patient data, or something like that. You're going to hang onto that one-year difference forever, aren't you?'
'I don't think you're likely to let me overtake you regardless.'
She sighs again, leaning her cheek over my head. Her hair tickles me. 'I wish it were otherwise.'
'Let's get that daughter of yours married off first.'
A soft snort of laughter. 'That might take less time than you think, wiseguy.'
I know. We both realized that. Emi and the Nakai kid have been practically joined at the hips for a long while now.
...Enough to make one think that highschool love can be more than cute, temporary and awkward.
'I'm sorry. I know this is hard on you, but... I can't decide without making sure first.'
'You're a good man.' She gives me a peck on the top of my head. 'I have known that for years now. On the one hand, it's wonderful to know that my daughter is in such good care. On the other hand...'
She tweaks my ear, but gently. '...you can be pretty damn frustrating. And I can't even get mad at you, since you're thinking about Emi's well-being.'
'Believe me, the Ibarazaki ladies have me thoroughly enchanted. I'm not going anywhere yet.'
'Nobody ever thinks he is.'
Furrowing my forehead a little at that, I reach up to hold her hands in mine. Neither of us says a word further.
We stay that way for a long time.

'I think I had better go now.'
'I suppose so. Let me see you off.'
Standing inside the door, I finish getting my outdoor shoes back on. She silently regards me, eyes trained on mine.
'Well, good night-'
One soft step forward places her face close, and she gives me a peck on the lips. It's brief, and sweet, and wistful. It tastes like unfulfilled promises.
We pause for a few seconds. It's her that takes that one step back.
'Good night, Nurse. See you later.'
'...good night, Meiko. Yes, I'll see you later.'
I open the door, letting in a little cold wind before crossing it and carefully closing it behind my back.

-SC
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

TheHivemind
Path Writer

Re: 'Lost Opportunities'

Post by TheHivemind »

I dig, man. I dig. You're pretty close to the mark, here. Pretty close indeed...
Kagami
Editor

Re: 'Lost Opportunities'

Post by Kagami »

Well.

I wasn't expecting that.

...Not bad, though.