Hokkaido-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/28)

WORDS WORDS WORDS
User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 5922
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Hokkaido+Finale-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/25) NEW I

Post by Mirage_GSM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Well, it seems like you have your view on events in the VN, and I have mine. Let's leave it at that.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

User avatar
centurion911
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 am

Re: Hokkaido+Finale-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/25) NEW I

Post by centurion911 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 pm

Mirage_GSM wrote:Well, it seems like you have your view on events in the VN, and I have mine. Let's leave it at that.
Agreed

User avatar
OtakuNinja
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Hokkaido+Finale-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/25) NEW I

Post by OtakuNinja » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 pm

She's also very good at turning a blind eye to things that she doesn't agree with
No shit. :lol:
Image
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

User avatar
griffon8
Posts: 1117
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: Southeast Michigan, USA

Re: Hokkaido+Finale-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/25) NEW I

Post by griffon8 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:35 pm

centurion911 wrote:Her listing those things doesn't sound like her listing the reasons she's in favor of leaving, it sounds more like her convincing herself that leaving is the correct idea. She doesn't want to leave, it's pretty obvious from the fact that she lists every reason someone else wants her to go.

Hisao comes to the realization that Lilly didn't want to burden him with this knowledge, that she didn't WANT to burden him with the decision. Lilly never said she wanted to stay, Hisao never said he wanted her to stay. Hisao didn't say it because he thinks Lilly is always sure of her decisions, Lilly didn't say it because, now comes the part that is an opinion, she had pressure on one side (from her parents) and no pressure on the other, the people pleaser in her was rationalizing her going. With Hisao's ready acceptance of her leaving she was left with only one choice. She didn't say she didn't want to go because she doesn't want to admit that she doesn't want to go. She wants Hisao to stop her because she doesn't want to rationalize her thoughts, she wants her thinking to coincide with what someone else asks her to do. When this doesn't happen, she's much more prone to going along with the plan than she is to speaking her mind.

Now, Lilly does not seem to be one that is adept at thinking on her feet, she's a planner (evidenced from her panic at each heart attack scene/asking him to not leave in the wheat field/her encounters with Rin). She's also very good at turning a blind eye to things that she doesn't agree with/doesn't want to think about (reasons about parents leaving, her feelings about leaving). These two facts make it easy to pick out her thought process. With Hisao (seemingly) ok with her leaving and pressure from her parents side to leave, the explanation that hurts the least while still allowing her a rationale to leave is that Hisao never truly loved her, so it's okay to let him go. The doubt in her mind is eliminated when Akira reciprocates her feelings.

At the end of the chapter she begins to realize that she never told Hisao she actually wanted to stay. I want Hisao's re-entrance to be as viewpoint changing to her as it was to him. Where Hisao was content to let things happen and never took charge, Lilly never let her true feelings come into play and played ignorant in the face of some very apparent realizations. (As evidenced again in the Hanako bad and good route, where Lilly told Hisao she knew Hanako didn't need to be mothered even though she mothered Hanako for so long)
I have to say that I think this is a most plausible explanation for her behavior. I think I lean toward this opinion rather than Mirage's opinion.

Otherwise, as Mirage said, Lilly's being a complete bitch.

Are you sure you meant Akira reciprocating Lilly's feelings?
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing

User avatar
centurion911
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 am

Re: Hokkaido+Finale-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/25) NEW I

Post by centurion911 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 pm

griffon8 wrote: I have to say that I think this is a most plausible explanation for her behavior. I think I lean toward this opinion rather than Mirage's opinion.

Otherwise, as Mirage said, Lilly's being a complete bitch.

Are you sure you meant Akira reciprocating Lilly's feelings?
I was referring to Akira solidifying Lilly's hypothesis, that Hisao didn't care about her. Reciprocating was the incorrect word to use. Thanks for catching that :)

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 5922
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Hokkaido+Finale-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/25) NEW I

Post by Mirage_GSM » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:02 am

Sorry for not shutting up when I said I would, but I just noticed one of your previous posts, and I think you might have misunderstood me in one thing:
I don't believe for one second that Lilly is as cold as some people make her out to be,
I never once said or thought that Lilly was cold. I was just talking about what objectively happened in the Shanghai scene and my interpretation of it. I haven't touched on what I think about why Lilly acted that way.

The following is just my personal opinion of Lilly's feelings after coming back from Scotland, so forgive me if I do not insert "I think" or "in my opinion" in front of every sentence.
I do think that Lilly was in love with Hisao, and that she did not intentionally try to hurt him. At the same time I do not think she missed the fact that she inadvertedly did hurt him.
I think Lilly was brought up to always follow her parent's wishes - a mindset not all that uncommon in Japan. A sign for that is that up to the end she was never able to find fault with her parents for leaving her alone with her sister in a faraway country. That's why when she received the summons she never seriously considered the possibility of turning them down. She might have wanted to stay, but this was a summons from her parents.
Confessing to Hisao and starting a relationship might have been either an impulsive decision without forethought or a subconscious effort to give herself a stronger reason to stay.* If it was the latter it failed to overcome her sense of duty to return to her family.
That's why at the Shanghai she names her parent's summons first when she lists the reasons for going to Scotland. She might want to stay but her sense of duty is stronger.
I do not think she doubts Hisao's love for her or even misses how much she hurts him - as I said she has always been good at reading people and Hisao in particular - but she is either too proud or (more likely) too afraid to admit that to herself lest she lose her strength and/or conviction to go.
To summarize: I do not blame Lilly for wanting to return to her family. I can even understand her choosing her family over Hisao.
What I do blame her for is starting a relationship with Hisao depsite knowing about the summons - whether or not her (conscious) decision had already been made at the time - and then being to cowardly to tell Hisao about it herself. No matter the reasons or justifications that was extremely unfair towards Hisao.
I hope that helps you to better understand my point of view.

*The fact that she's been on contraception since before she returned to Japan is a damning bit of evidence against that, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she started before she even received the first summons. I guess her "healthy adolescent sex-drive is enough justification for that.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

User avatar
centurion911
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 am

Re: Hokkaido+Finale-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/25) NEW I

Post by centurion911 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:20 am

Mirage_GSM wrote:Sorry for not shutting up when I said I would, but I just noticed one of your previous posts, and I think you might have misunderstood me in one thing:
I don't believe for one second that Lilly is as cold as some people make her out to be,
I never once said or thought that Lilly was cold. I was just talking about what objectively happened in the Shanghai scene and my interpretation of it. I haven't touched on what I think about why Lilly acted that way.

The following is just my personal opinion of Lilly's feelings after coming back from Scotland, so forgive me if I do not insert "I think" or "in my opinion" in front of every sentence.
I do think that Lilly was in love with Hisao, and that she did not intentionally try to hurt him. At the same time I do not think she missed the fact that she inadvertedly did hurt him.
I think Lilly was brought up to always follow her parent's wishes - a mindset not all that uncommon in Japan. A sign for that is that up to the end she was never able to find fault with her parents for leaving her alone with her sister in a faraway country. That's why when she received the summons she never seriously considered the possibility of turning them down. She might have wanted to stay, but this was a summons from her parents.
Confessing to Hisao and starting a relationship might have been either an impulsive decision without forethought or a subconscious effort to give herself a stronger reason to stay.* If it was the latter it failed to overcome her sense of duty to return to her family.
That's why at the Shanghai she names her parent's summons first when she lists the reasons for going to Scotland. She might want to stay but her sense of duty is stronger.
I do not think she doubts Hisao's love for her or even misses how much she hurts him - as I said she has always been good at reading people and Hisao in particular - but she is either too proud or (more likely) too afraid to admit that to herself lest she lose her strength and/or conviction to go.
To summarize: I do not blame Lilly for wanting to return to her family. I can even understand her choosing her family over Hisao.
What I do blame her for is starting a relationship with Hisao depsite knowing about the summons - whether or not her (conscious) decision had already been made at the time - and then being to cowardly to tell Hisao about it herself. No matter the reasons or justifications that was extremely unfair towards Hisao.
I hope that helps you to better understand my point of view.

*The fact that she's been on contraception since before she returned to Japan is a damning bit of evidence against that, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she started before she even received the first summons. I guess her "healthy adolescent sex-drive is enough justification for that.
That's a very fair assumption. It seems we agree that
A. The fact that her confession was very impulsive
B. She's been very well trained to follow her parents' advice
C. She botched the handling of the whole situation

I guess our viewpoints differ in the fact that you believe Lilly refuses to acknowledge Hisao's feelings because she is either too proud/afraid where I believe she has deluded herself as a coping mechanism. (Please do tell me if I am wrong here, that was the impression I got) It's all a matter of opinion in the end.

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 5922
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Hokkaido+Finale-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/25) NEW I

Post by Mirage_GSM » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:25 am

I guess our viewpoints differ in the fact that you believe Lilly refuses to acknowledge Hisao's feelings because she is either too proud/afraid where I believe she has deluded herself as a coping mechanism.
Yup, that's basically it.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

User avatar
Carighan
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Re: Hokkaido+Finale-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/25) NEW I

Post by Carighan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:35 am

Without wanting to escalate this - I haven't even read the fanfic, I just read the final few posts - my personal interpretation of the ingame story was that Lilly is second only to Misha in her constructed persona, and a lion share of her behaviour and being is just a mask she's wearing.
Twice the persona breaks away, once in Hokkaido after Hisao keels over, once in the ending.

Ofc, there's as many interpretations as there are readers I suspect, so that's just my perspective on things.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

rz3
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:00 am

Re: Hokkaido+Finale-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/25) NEW I

Post by rz3 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 am

Hmm, I can't say this last part is what I believe Lilly would be thinking, but it was entertaining. It's your interpretation, as well as your story. Write what you want, how you want.

For something actually noteworthy, the part where Hideaki is questioning Lilly is a bit jumbled. Hideaki is talking to Lilly, then you start using "he" and at some point the uncle starts talking again. I had to read through it a few times. There needs to be a transition there where you write, "Jigoro says", or something.

Side note: Thanks to whoever(I think it was Plague?) for linking the "What They Deserve" story. Very good and enjoyable.

Edit:
*The fact that she's been on contraception since before she returned to Japan is a damning bit of evidence against that, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she started before she even received the first summons. I guess her "healthy adolescent sex-drive is enough justification for that.
I just wanted to say that there are other reasons that females take "the pill". It's commonly taken to lessen the severity of menstruation, for instance.

Also, respectable viewpoints, guys. I think everyone sees things in their own way.

User avatar
centurion911
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 am

Re: Hokkaido+Finale-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/25) NEW I

Post by centurion911 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 pm

rz3 wrote:Hmm, I can't say this last part is what I believe Lilly would be thinking, but it was entertaining. It's your interpretation, as well as your story. Write what you want, how you want.

For something actually noteworthy, the part where Hideaki is questioning Lilly is a bit jumbled. Hideaki is talking to Lilly, then you start using "he" and at some point the uncle starts talking again. I had to read through it a few times. There needs to be a transition there where you write, "Jigoro says", or something.

Side note: Thanks to whoever(I think it was Plague?) for linking the "What They Deserve" story. Very good and enjoyable.

Edit:
*The fact that she's been on contraception since before she returned to Japan is a damning bit of evidence against that, but I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she started before she even received the first summons. I guess her "healthy adolescent sex-drive is enough justification for that.
I just wanted to say that there are other reasons that females take "the pill". It's commonly taken to lessen the severity of menstruation, for instance.

Also, respectable viewpoints, guys. I think everyone sees things in their own way.

Thanks for the feedback! I edited the part in which Hideaki, Lilly, and Jigoro were talking to make it a little more clear.

User avatar
centurion911
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 am

Saying Goodbye, part 2

Post by centurion911 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:12 pm

By the time we arrived at the airport, I was able to collect my thoughts.

I am going to miss Hisao dearly, truly I will. Every moment we spent together will be locked as a tender, priceless memory in my heart. He may not truly love me, he may not really want me, but Akira was right in what she said. I can't dwell in the past. I'm a strong, independent woman, and I had better start acting like that.

Akira and I step out of the taxi and walk, arm in arm, through the airport.

Finally being able to live with my parents, following Akira, it's everything I should want.

I smile to myself

Going to Inverness is exactly what I should do. If my parents summoned me they must truly want me back. Who am I to refuse the wants of my parents? I wasn't brought up to be disobedient.

In the distance I can hear shouting, there seems to be quite the commotion behind us. I can almost make out what's being said.

I tilt my head to the side. What an odd coincidence. The name that's being shouted sounds like...

"Li...lly."

That voice.

It was said silently enough to be the wind whistling, but it sounds like a bullhorn in my head.

Abruptly, I pull Akira and myself to a stop.

He's here, he's really here. He came for me. As a brilliant smile forms I realize something else.

Something's wron. I can't hear his voice anymore, and a crowd appears to be gathering around the location of his voice.

Wheeling around, I turn to face Akira.

"Akira, what's going on behind us?" I query, attempting to hide my suspense.

"Oi, it looks like some guy's passed out on the ground," we step towards the chattering voices.

"That guy looks kind of..." she freezes.

"Akira," no answer. "AKIRA!" I'm shaking her now, "Akira, who is it. Tell me!"

Her silence confirms my worst fear.

I rush over, hands in front of me. As they contact airport patrons I push them aside, making my way to the location of the whisper.

Dropping on all fours, I begin to search for him. The crowd murmurs around me as I locate a body.

Shirt and tie, just like the Yamaku uniform. Slim neck, defined cheekbones. Rich hair, with one little tuft sticking up right in the middle.

"HISAO! HISAO!" I cry over his limp form.

"Somebody call an ambulance!" I hear my sister's voice boom over the crowd, "Ah hell, I'll do it".

Putting my head to his chest, I begin to listen for his heartbeat.

Thu..
....
....mp
Thu...

Oh no.

"No Hisao don't die. Don't do this. Hisao PLEASE!" I sob into his chest as the familiar siren of the ambulance comes into earshot.

They arrive in less than a minute. It takes three paramedics to pry me off of his body. Around a minute after that he's loaded into the car with Akira and I sitting right next to him.

I feel around until I locate his hand, grasping it tightly.

I don't want to lose him again, never again
================================

He's been in the hospital for two days now

I stand outside his room, music box in hand, sullenly thinking.

My mother once told me that if you truly love something you should let it go. If it comes back to you then it's yours to keep.

Hisao came back to me. He passed the test with flying colors.

I, on the other hand, have failed it miserably. He showed me the greatest month of my life, and I responded by keeping secrets, keeping him in the dark, and then leaving him. In order to stop me, he almost killed himself.

I sob outwardly at the thought. Knowing his last word was my name, his last sight was me walking away from him, leaving his life? That's a thought too hard to bear.

Akira had called our parents, telling them we're going to catch a flight next week. After all this we're still leaving here. Facing my parents, telling them I can't leave, the thought just seems inconceivable. They've made all these plans, I almost have to follow through. Maybe I can take Hisao with me, my parents would be able to give him an apartment where we could live.

I need to talk to him, to be with him. I need to make a decision with him.

I was told later by Akira, who had heard the situation from the paramedics, that Hisao had taken a taxi to the Hakamichi house and barely missed us. He then took the same taxi to the airport and chased after me. He got hit in the chest and had a minor heart attack.

'Minor heart attack, it just doesn't sound right', I think ruefully.

His parents already visited earlier today, they've been visiting every day he's been here. Thank god Akira warns me when they're coming so I can avoid the room. I'm not going to meet his parents like this.

I step into the room, place the music box on the counter, and open it.

The room is awash with tender music. I've heard that sleeping and comatose individuals can hear music.

Hopefully this will bring him back to me.

Realizing I forgot my cane in the lobby, I step back outside.

Re-tracing my steps, I realize that I hope only for one thing. That he can forgive me for not being there for him. He may not have asked me to stay, but I never showed him that I wanted him to ask me.

Retrieving the cane, I make my way back into the room, open the door, and begin to trace the wall. As I stride across the floor, I hear a quiet rustling near the bed's location.

"L...Lilly...?" he sputters.

I freeze, every muscle in my body tenses.

"Hisao? Is that you?" I want to make sure he's there, to make sure he's real.

"I thought you were..."

Gone? Uncaring? Stupid? I WAS all those things Hisao, but not right now.

I step towards him, slowly at first. Unable to contain myself, I rush over to his bedside. Wrapping my arms around the back of his neck, I begin sobbing again burying my head into his chest. He puts a hand on my shoulder, as if to console me

"Hisao! Hisao!"

I can feel him shaking his head, "It's ok Lilly, I'm ok. You don't need to...."

I pull back and stare at his general direction, "Stop telling me not to worry about you, Hisao!" I say with force, "Just this once," my voice falters, "let me cry."

I hesitate, awaiting resistance. When none comes I collapse back into his chest, renewed sobs of sadness and relief washing over me.

He's here, he's here and he's ok. That's all that matters right now. They're the two most important things, that he's not hurt and he's not leaving.

"I'm sorry Lilly," the apology surprises me, "I shouldn't have tried to push myself so far."

He snorts in derision before continuing, "After months of keeping myself together so no one-d worry about me, I went and did something like this. I guess I'm pretty dumb."

I try to pull myself together, taking deep breaths and setting on my plastic smile. I want to be strong for him, I don't want him to worry about me the way I worried about him.

"You needn't blame yourself. I heard later that it happened as you were running down the road after me, right?"

"Still." I hear the guilt in his voice.

"Why did you run after me Hisao?" I want to hear the reason from his own mouth. No more assumptions, no more false thoughts. "Even after I'd said goodbye, and I'd left Yamaku Academy..."

I want to add more, but if I keep speaking I'm going to cry again. I have to know why he stopped me now, why he didn't stop me before. What changed?

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry," he whispers sadly.

"Sorry?" I ask. What does he have to apologize for?

"For the times that I wasn't there when you needed me," he states with much more conviction, like he'd been practicing it, "Until now, I thought that you just being there would be enough. I only needed you by my side to make me feel better. Even if my body were like this, I want to help you Lilly; to be there when you needed someone."

"But you always were there Hisao." Despite my bellyaching about him not stopping me and him not expressing his feelings, I know what I say is true. When I did need him he was there.

"Why did you want to go to Scotland Lilly?

His question takes me aback. Stammering, I reply "Why...? I told you before. Akira was going and because of my family's summons to their home."

"Why didn't you say that you WANTED to go?" He asks, this time with stony determination.

"I.." I don't have an answer for him. I had pondered this question momentarily in the Hakamichi guest room but pushed it down deep inside. I may want to stay with Hisao but why wouldn't I WANT to be with my parents? To follow my sister? I SHOULD want to go, it's logical to want to go.

"I'm not stubborn often, but this is one time I think I need to be. I want you to stay here Lilly"

His words leave me speechless. He continues, "I want you to stay where everyone you know lives, where all your dreams and ambitions were made. If you choose to stay, I'll never leave your side. I won't let you lose another person."

Hisao...

"When I had my heart attack, I was snatched away from everyone and everywhere I love. You showed me a new life after I came to Yamaku. I had lost my past, but you gave me a future. It's true that I haven't always been there for you. I'm unreliable, sometimes I lied, sometimes I thought I'd understood you when I hadn't come to understand myself."

To know that he thought so badly of himself, especially after I left him, it sickens my stomach.

"Be that as it may, I want to give you a future as well. I want to be there for you, to share both your burdens and your happiness, just like I promised in Hokkaido."

"I want you to trust me. I know I had some problems coming to trust you, after losing so many people I'd known after the heart attack, but that's how I know that being unable to trust others can feel so awful. That's why I can't watch you throw everything away like this. I never want you to go through what I did. I would do anything to stop that."

I take a second to process everything he said. Hisao's done what I'm about to do. He says I don't want to leave and I know he's correct. I've been kowtowing to the demands of others for far too long. I said nothing when my parents abandoned me in Japan, and I was content to say nothing when they requested that I abandon everyone I know.

I never had the strength to admit that I had my own mind. I may know what I want, but I've always wanted to make everyone around me, especially my parents, happy at the expense of my own happiness. I want to stay here with Hisao and Hanako and Emi, Misha, even Shizune. I would have never admitted that if it weren't for Hisao.

He didn't stop me because he didn't realize what I wanted, that much was clear. When I said I was leaving, he must have thought that I wanted to go, and he didn't want to question my decision.

Hisao has become the true partner that I want. Not one that follows me unflinchingly like a mother hen, but one who is on the same level as me. An equal, one that I can share EVERYTHING with.

I smile, "You can be quite steadfast when you want to."

"As I said, it isn't often," let's hope that isn't true for long, I like this side of him.

A sharp gasp of pain jolts me from my thoughts. As I furrow my brow, he sighs.

"I tried not to let anyone worry over me for the entire time I left the hospital, but I can't even stop the person I love the most from crying over me. Even if I finally might be able to put my feelings into words, I'd feel useless in a body like this."

Hisao... don't think like that.

"Every time I reached out towards something, it was snatched away, and even now, things only turned out better due to luck. I guess there's something else I should apologize for. All I can ever do is make you worry. Even now, there's very little chance I'd live anywhere near a full life."

I place my hand on his cheek, wanting to feel him, to help him. He's not useless, he's not broken, he's the man I love, and I love everything about him.

"I think that's something very natural for you to say, you were always so sincere and self-conscious" a genuine smile creeps across my face, "You were also reserved and mild mannered, and patient to a fault with Hanako, yet curious about everything and anyone."

Thinking back, "When I said I missed you when I was with my family, I wasn't exaggerating or lying. The thought of you was never far from my mind, and helped me through that time. That was why I was so confused about what to do when my family summoned me."
I wasn't able to admit it then, but my first reunion with my parents had been unsavory. They had changed from their time in Inverness, they were not the same parents of my childhood. It was like meeting with a stranger that acted like someone you once knew. It was at that moment I knew I didn't want to stay there, but I pushed it down, like I did with my other feelings.
"I didn't confess to you out of pity or believing you were different from what you are. I confessed because I never want to lose you, and want you to always be a part of my life, no matter what might change.

I place my other hand on his heart, "You are a very beautiful person Hisao. Your heart changes none of that, so please don't apologize for yourself anymore.

We sit in silence, my hand on his cheek, other hand on his heart. As he begins to cry, just a single tear, I wipe it away.

I'm here for you Hisao, the same way you're here for me. I'll stay with you through thick and thin, no matter what.

"I know I can't promise," he starts, "that I'll always be around, or we'll be together forever," he places a hand on my shoulder, "But...I think I can take you to next year's Tanabata festival, to make up for missing this years."

My mouth drops, "You....remembered that?"

"I've got a pretty good memory, sometimes," he says smugly

I giggle lightly. Oh this man, what am I going to do with him. He's really quite the master of romance.

I reluctantly pull back, resting a hand on his chest, "Very well. Shall we both make a promise to go to next year's Tanabata together?"

"I promise," he says warmly.

"I promise," I reply back, nodding enthusiastically.

==========================================================================

The breeze flows through my hair.

Sitting on top of this hill, with Hisao and Akira by my side, makes me feel like I'm on top of the world.

Hisao checked out of the hospital as soon as he could. We talked a lot during his stay, which lasted about a week. He made me promise that I would stop keeping secrets from him, that everything would be out in the open for both of us. I made him promise that he would begin running to strengthen his heart. Every moment I've been here has felt completely right.

I talked to my parents and told them my decision. My father was noticeably upset, but my mother took it well. She wished us luck at university and said they would support us however they could. My father seemed like he wanted to say something at the end of our conversation, but decided against it. Perhaps he'll tell me later.

I sniff the mountain air, taking me back to the present. "This is a nice area," I state happily.

"Yeah," Hisao adds, slightly awestruck, "I never knew a place like this was anywhere near Yamaku."

"And I had to be the one to find it," Akira says. She's trying to sound happy, but there's something mixed into it, "It's good that you're out of the hospital Hisao."

"Nobody's more glad that I am," Hisao says happily, "I can't stand hospitals."

"So you're going back to school tomorrow?" Akira asks.

"Yep," we both say in unison.

Akira must think this is endearing. She begins chuckling.

"Pity we couldn't get up north for the summer holidays," Hisao says, slightly wistful, "or get to Tanabata."

"I wouldn't worry," I shake my head, smiling happily, "There's always next time."

"You'll be graduating next summer vacation, won't ya?" Akira inquires. She's in quite the questioning mood today. I think she's getting in all the smalltalk she can before she has to leave.

"Yeah" Hisao answers, "There'll still be college after that."

"Going to the same one?"

"Likely," I respond, genuinely happy to say it, "We both have high enough scores to meet the entry requirement."

"You sound so sure..." Hisao teases. I resist the urge to pout, he's such a nerd when it comes to school.

"Don't worry, you're better than I at most subjects." I admit to him.

"I guess we'll work it out in due time," I imagine he shrugged there.

"That's the way," Akira says while laughing, slapping Hisao on the back, "Just enjoy yourselves in Yamaku while you're there."

I sigh sadly. Out of everything positive happening, there's still a negative lining. Akira's going to Scotland.

"Do you really need to go back to Scotland?" I ask, more out of desperation than curiosity.

"Yeah," she says dryly, "The folks are already out for my blood as it is."

"You...weren't meant to stay this long?" Hisao asks, slightly bewildered.

Akira laughs, "Setting my boyfriend up with a passport took time."

"You're taking him too?" Hisao asks brightly.

I smile at this. Hisao and my "miraculous story" inspired Akira to give it one more shot with her boyfriend. She had told me, 'If you kids can make it work, I should be able to do just fine.'

"Just for a while at first," Akira answers, "He's a surprisingly worldly guy, he'll do just fine."

She snorts, half amused and half disdainful, "If father had his way, I'd have gone a long while ago."

Her moment of negativity gone, she laughs, "I couldn't give up a chance to stay with my favorite little sister a while longer though."

She gives me a big hug, making my smile even wider. "It is nice to be with you one last time, though." I admit.

"For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat." Hisao adds.

"Thanks you two, I'll try to come back and visit sometime, don't worry."

"It's a shame business keeps you so busy," I lean my head back and enjoy the sun on my shoulders.

"The place won't run itself," she says with a hint of ruefulness, "I think it's gonna be just the same over there."

She stands, "Considering that, I had better get going."

"Have fun over there Akira." Hisao says.

"Well I'd better be off, plane won't wait for me after all." She really seems reluctant to go. I know just what she's worrying about

"I'll be ok, Akira," I put on my biggest smile for her.

"Yeah, I know," that same wistfulness in her voice.

"Come on now," I try to lighten her mood, "You'll be able to see us again soon."

I really have changed, I think it's for the better. To think I would be the one comforting Akira is an odd thought.

It seems to have worked because Akira sighs. Not a miserable, resigned sigh, but a sigh of relief and acceptance.

"Seeya later you two!" She calls as she walks away.

Hisao and I pause, then begin to pick ourselves up.

"Shall we be off then?" Hisao asks with an air of formality.

I reach out and Hisao slides his hand into mine. I give him the biggest, most heartfelt smile my face can muster.

"Indeed we shall, Hisao." I answer back, punctuating my sentence with a slight giggle.

As we walk, hand in hand, back to Yamaku, I can't help but look back on what has brought us to this moment.

This man doesn't really know me, and yet he knows so much more than most. I can trust him, and he now trusts me. The past may be turbulent, the memories painful, but I look to the future I can't help but smile.

Because the future is bright.
Last edited by centurion911 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
OtakuNinja
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Hokkaido-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/28)

Post by OtakuNinja » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:03 am

What a nice conclusion. I got the feels and all that... :mrgreen:
"Why didn't you say that I wanted to go?"
I'm a little confused by this sentence. :?
Image
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

User avatar
centurion911
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 am

Re: Hokkaido-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/28)

Post by centurion911 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:13 pm

OtakuNinja wrote:What a nice conclusion. I got the feels and all that... :mrgreen:
"Why didn't you say that I wanted to go?"
I'm a little confused by this sentence. :?
My apologies, it should have been "Why didn't you say that you wanted to go?"

Fixed it :)

Plague
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Hokkaido-Lilly's perspective (Updated 2/28)

Post by Plague » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:21 pm

Well this part just confirmed that when you add to KS material, it's really good for me. The first few paragraphs were not that strong as the ones from Hisao waking up.

But that as well may be because of the things we already discussed, so thanks for the work.

Post Reply