For Want of a Nail - Misha Route (Updated 11/1/19)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Mjack_15980

Re: For Want of a Nail - Misha Route (New Chapter 12/6)

Post by Mjack_15980 »

ChrisTheCat wrote:This is actually worthy of 4 Leaf Studios themselves with this quality of writing. You use so many expressions that just seem like such a Hisao thing to say. 'Dear god, it's spreading.' Ah, brilliant.

I hope you update soon. Or else you will make Yuuko cry. You don't want that, do you?
Yeah true as man. If you and a few other guys were able to get permission from the creators of KS to make an 'add on' with a few more charas... That would be awesome! :D
ChrisTheCat

Post by ChrisTheCat »

Mjack_15980 wrote:
ChrisTheCat wrote:This is actually worthy of 4 Leaf Studios themselves with this quality of writing. You use so many expressions that just seem like such a Hisao thing to say. 'Dear god, it's spreading.' Ah, brilliant.

I hope you update soon. Or else you will make Yuuko cry. You don't want that, do you?
Yeah true as man. If you and a few other guys were able to get permission from the creators of KS to make an 'add on' with a few more charas... That would be awesome! :D
I'm not too sure about that...

On one hand, most everyone wants another route or two (and some suggest the betterment of Shizune's route, though I have no issue with it). Extra attention from the developers would evidentially mean more interest from the current fanbase, and will delay the game's eventual disappearance from our and the Internet's collective memories. More routes could also lead to the revival of threads on /a/, /v/ and /b/, thereby increasing the game's reputation.

On the other, the developers have stated that they are not entirely sure that they will ever be working together on anything as the full 4 Lead Studios again. Another thing, why mess with perfection? Each girl has their own fans of varying numbers, dedication and even gender. Katawa Shoujo is near perfect as is, why should we change it and risk alienating some of the current fans? Besides, this is why we have fanfiction and fanart, so that we can have what we want without the developers needing the extra effort.

I'm torn in both directions. Ugh...
Completion Level: 100%
Current Route: Shizune (Replay 3)

Favourite Girl
Before: Emi>Shizune>Lilly>Hanako>Misha>Rin
After: Shizune>Misha>Rin>Hanako>Emi>Lilly

Favourite Side-Character
Yuuko

'Seek out the good in every man, speak of all the best I can. Then will all men speak well of me, and say how kind of heart I be'~ Geoffrey Chaucer
Mjack_15980

Post by Mjack_15980 »

Firstly, i never said the origional develpers had to work on it, just overlook it/editit at most. Secondly, i could say make a seperate game that is related to KS directly, but that would be very hard to pull off and just be plain weird (most games that do this have a different protagonist, and noone can replace Hisao. Full stop). And i said an add on, meaning one can choose to have it ornot. It is up tothe player to add the extras
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

ChrisTheCat wrote:...4 Lead Studios...
Typo or honest mistake? :roll:
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Mjack_15980

Post by Mjack_15980 »

Do u agree with my idea?
Sadako Yamamura

Post by Sadako Yamamura »

Cool. Can't wait for more.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

I should chime in with my praise, too.

You've done good things with the characters, and the subtext is really nicely done, too.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Mjack_15980 wrote:Firstly, i never said the origional develpers had to work on it, just overlook it/editit at most. Secondly, i could say make a seperate game that is related to KS directly, but that would be very hard to pull off and just be plain weird (most games that do this have a different protagonist, and noone can replace Hisao. Full stop). And i said an add on, meaning one can choose to have it ornot. It is up tothe player to add the extras
Do you remember how long katawa shoujo took? At the very least to convert what we already have, never mind finishing it, would take up half a year.... Artwork, music, bug hunting and fixing... That's what you're asking someone to do. In his spare time, for free...
ChrisTheCat

Post by ChrisTheCat »

Kutagh wrote:
Mjack_15980 wrote:Firstly, i never said the origional develpers had to work on it, just overlook it/editit at most. Secondly, i could say make a seperate game that is related to KS directly, but that would be very hard to pull off and just be plain weird (most games that do this have a different protagonist, and noone can replace Hisao. Full stop). And i said an add on, meaning one can choose to have it ornot. It is up tothe player to add the extras
Do you remember how long katawa shoujo took? At the very least to convert what we already have, never mind finishing it, would take up half a year.... Artwork, music, bug hunting and fixing... That's what you're asking someone to do. In his spare time, for free...
Studies show that people do a better job at something when they are not, in fact, being paid, and when they have a definite deadline. However, you have a valid point.
Completion Level: 100%
Current Route: Shizune (Replay 3)

Favourite Girl
Before: Emi>Shizune>Lilly>Hanako>Misha>Rin
After: Shizune>Misha>Rin>Hanako>Emi>Lilly

Favourite Side-Character
Yuuko

'Seek out the good in every man, speak of all the best I can. Then will all men speak well of me, and say how kind of heart I be'~ Geoffrey Chaucer
Mjack_15980

Post by Mjack_15980 »

Well u make it sound utterly painful when u put it that way :/

I never said they had to do it, nor did i say that they had to spend every last minute of their spare time doing it, did i?
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Mjack_15980 wrote:Well u make it sound utterly painful when u put it that way :/

I never said they had to do it, nor did i say that they had to spend every last minute of their spare time doing it, did i?
Hate to be a killjoy but didn't want anyone to get their hopes up and this looked like the best way to do so.

And @ChrisTheCat: How big were the jobs those people were assigned, how big were the teams and how long did they have the time? A major issue with projects that aren't being paid and take up a long time is that motivation tends to disappear after a while when it becomes more of a chore instead of something nice to do in your spare time. There are not that many big FOSS projects out there that have been running for years. Free VN's with the quality and content of KS are rare too afaik (though I'm not a walking encyclopedia about VN's).
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Well, first of all, thank you all for the kind words and compliments. Always nice to hear that your work is appreciated. That being said, feel free to speak up if something doesn't seem right or anything. Criticism is always welcome.

With regard to updating, I've been keeping to a Thursday update schedule for the time being, and have some degree of a buffer. If I expect that I won't be able to make an update, I will likely say something before the end of the day.

As for the idea of a fan addon, I'm flattered, but that would be quite the long shot. Aside from needing dev approval (which is extremely unlikely), the people working on the project would need the final build of RenPy used for KS, an uncompiled copy of the final game, and would likely need dev support for using that build. For the posted parts of my act 2 alone, you'd need 4 new sprite sets and 2 new backgrounds. Additionally, the whole psuedo-route would have to be rewritten in script format, with much of the visual description replaced by direction and/or art assets. And there would be a need for several event CGs, and probably a few cut-in CGs. If you want to go all out, you'd need a Mike Inel-style animation and new music (for Misha, you may be able to get away with "Generic Happy Music" for her theme). And this is the volume of work for turning a single pseudo-route into an add-on. The needed effort grows exponentially for each extra route. Of course, there's also the need to maintain some degree of consistency between old and new art assets.

It's a cool idea, and there's no question that any fanfic author chosen for such a project would be beyond flattered, and extremely pleased to see his idea become more of a reality. But the logistics behind such a project make it a near-impossibility. And frankly, given the prolific nature of the community, recruiting writers would be among the least of your worries in orchestrating such a project. Finally, flattered as I am, this probably isn't the most appropriate venue for any sort of discussion of fan-made addons.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Mjack_15980

Post by Mjack_15980 »

I understand. I never meant it in a way where it makes u do all the work :(

Btw REALLY? Damn thats alot of things to do :? I would say i could do that that in a year or so.... But art was one of my weaker subjects in school :|

Guessing the producers are pretty strict with the copywrite? Makes sense i guess, because the oonly way they would prob allow u to do this would be by them superviseing your work, and i think they want a LONG break from that after over four years of making it :P
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

It has been stated prominently and multiple times that the dev team won't create nor allow to be created any sequel, side-story or other VN connected to Katawa Shoujo.
They will tolerate Fan Art, Fan Fiction and stuff like T-Shirts or coffee cups for non-commercial (i.e. self) use.
Anything beyond that is supposed to be cleared with the dev team (with the strong implication that the answer is going to be "No" in most cases.

Prolonged begging has been known to be met with harsh consequences, so please keep this thread clear of it.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Looks good so far, it seems there is a theme going on with names and nicknames
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014