-

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Oddball

Re: Girl Interpreted [Featuring... Girl!] [Updated 10/22]

Post by Oddball »

Doomish wrote:Oh, I'm not pretending for even a second that Girl isn't an OC, don't worry about that. It's kind of hard not to admit she is one when she only has three lines and two sprites contained within a CG in the whole game. :lol:
Plus there's the whole fact of not actually having a name. :lol:
Not Dead Yet
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Oddball wrote:
Doomish wrote:Oh, I'm not pretending for even a second that Girl isn't an OC, don't worry about that. It's kind of hard not to admit she is one when she only has three lines and two sprites contained within a CG in the whole game. :lol:
Plus there's the whole fact of not actually having a name. :lol:
If anyone doesn't like the name Yumi, they can blame me. For the rest, though, all fault lies with Doomish.

As to the argument about whether cancer is a justifiable condition for placement at Yamaku, you have to consider societal norms as much as the voracity of the disability. Granted, a cancer patient with their disease in remission can function like a normal person, but the nearby medical staff is extremely useful in providing preventative care; regular examinations to check for the resurgence of the cancer. Besides, early detection is often a deciding factor in the survival rate, and regular check-ups are one of the best ways to keep ahead of that kind of disaster.

Also, Yamaku students and faculty generally refrain from judging people based on their respective conditions; which makes the environment more comfortable and conducive to learning for individuals that might be apprehensive about their conditions, secret or not, at a normal school. Surviving cancer patients go through hell to get there usually, and being flung into an environment with kids (or people in general) who lack the ability to empathize can be extremely detrimental.

Basically, I think Girl (Yumi) having cancer, even in remission, is perfectly within the bounds of reason for admission to Yamaku.
Doomish

Post by Doomish »

That is one hell of a justification! Bravo.

...I still want there to be more art of Girl. At least then I'd have things to post in the forsaken Katawa Shoujo General threads besides 'that feel when there will never be any more art of Girl' when I post a story about her.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Doomish wrote:That is one hell of a justification! Bravo.

...I still want there to be more art of Girl. At least then I'd have things to post in the forsaken Katawa Shoujo General threads besides 'that feel when there will never be any more art of Girl' when I post a story about her.
Dammit, Doomish, now I have an idea...
DanjaDoom

Post by DanjaDoom »

Over 75 hours in MS Paint
Attachments
Girl.png
Girl.png (17.29 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
My fine literary endeavors: Real, M&M, Rat Race, and Hideaki: A Tale of Manliness. Feel free to stroke my ego and read them.

We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey-Sanic
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

DanjaDoom wrote:

Not to rain on your parade, but I gone dun this over the past two hours or so, in paint...
I do not feel bad about this.
MrDan

Post by MrDan »

This has made Girl a very interesting character, and it doesn't matter too much whether the chapter is short or long, as long as you're satisfied that it's quality work. Keep it up Doomish, I'm looking forward to more!
DanjaDoom wrote:

This is the greatest work of art I have ever seen.
Sometimes the easiest decision to make is the one where you only have two-tenths of a second to decide.
A story of baseball, love, and living life.
Doomish

Post by Doomish »

[Glorious art of Girl by DanjaDoom]
[Glorious art of Girl by Helbereth]
I love you both aaaaaa this is the best thing, everything is the best thing!
DanjaDoom

Post by DanjaDoom »

Doomish wrote:
My fine literary endeavors: Real, M&M, Rat Race, and Hideaki: A Tale of Manliness. Feel free to stroke my ego and read them.

We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey-Sanic
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Doomish wrote:
This is not my art.
This is not my art.
SwaggerVest.jpg (75.59 KiB) Viewed 3981 times
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Basically, I think Girl (Yumi) having cancer, even in remission, is perfectly within the bounds of reason for admission to Yamaku.
You know it never even occured to me that it wouldn't be.
For a while, Misha having cancer was one of the leading theories here on the forums, andit's the one I went with in my own "Misha Route".
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Cancer does seem to be a rather common thing among the KS fanon. I know it all too well, what with Greater than the Sum and all. It's kind of an easy way out when looking to generate feels, because of cancer's notorious reputation for ruining lives. Perhaps it may be more pertinent for anyone else out there intending to use a degenerative disease such as cancer to consider some other condition instead; macular degeneration for example.

Anyway, on the topic of the randoms getting facetime here in the Fan Fiction department; I wouldn't call them an OC, even if almost the entirety of their being is fabricated by the authors - purely for the fact that their existance is already justified. Nevertheless, they do write like and function as an OC for all intents an purposes, so... ah who cares. Point is, Girl is getting some lovin' and th ebest part is its from that guy everyone loves to love, Doomish.

And she gets some pretty swag art from Danja and some pretty boss art from Helbereth. Seems like the current top writers have sort of an art trade thing going for them eh? Doomish drawing for Scissorlips, Helbereth drawing for Doomish, Rikabro, Scissorlips and such... I think it's great that we can all inspire each other like that.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:It's kind of an easy way out when looking to generate feels
It's no more of a hook than than missing limbs or narcolepsy. Generating feels depends on the quality of the writing. Getting the reader to empathize with their plight rather than merely sympathize with their disability/disease. We have to root for Girl to really empathize with her.
BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:I wouldn't call them an OC
Not quite as much as Aiko, perhaps (who's based on a very small blurb of text from the game), but Girl didn't even have a name. All there is of Girl are two CGs and a couple lines of dialogue.
BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:that guy everyone loves to love, Doomish.
I'm not sure that's the most common definition; especially among readers who've only been exposed to his older diatribes. For the purpose of this post, I'll remain neutral.
BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:And she gets some pretty swag art from Danja and some pretty boss art from Helbereth. Seems like the current top writers have sort of an art trade thing going for them eh? Doomish drawing for Scissorlips, Helbereth drawing for Doomish, Rikabro, Scissorlips and such... I think it's great that we can all inspire each other like that.
Except we're all awful artists and slipshod writers.
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Helbereth wrote:
BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:And she gets some pretty swag art from Danja and some pretty boss art from Helbereth. Seems like the current top writers have sort of an art trade thing going for them eh? Doomish drawing for Scissorlips, Helbereth drawing for Doomish, Rikabro, Scissorlips and such... I think it's great that we can all inspire each other like that.
Except we're all awful artists and slipshod writers.
Ah, you're too modest, man. But I guess being too modest is better than being an outright douche about things, eh? (Not naming names *cough*still not*cough* :P) Point is, good or not, the fact we inspire each other is great.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Mader Levap

Post by Mader Levap »

I'm not sure if Karoshi can be in school. Only possibility is very selective memory problems - like he can learn new things in school just fine, but faces and names for some *handwave* reason cannot. Otherwise it would not be any point to his education.
Doomish wrote:the chapter where she gets offered a contract and gets cured in exchange for becoming a magical girl is going to be totally fun to write.
Damn, I heard something like that somewhere already. ;)
Image Proud member of Polish Route - group that translated Katawa Shoujo to Polish. Full translation released!