Hanako's Story (COMPLETED 18/08/2014)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Hoitash

Re: Hanako's Story (UPDATED 05/02/2013)

Post by Hoitash »

pandaphil wrote: But it really does seem like there's a fine line between WK'ing, and just wanting to help.
And Hanako's sensitivity to the issue could very well blur the line for her.

Just my two cents :wink:
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

I don't think Hisao gradually falling in love with Hanako counts as standing in for her parent. But where the whistle blows is when he starts questioning if she's ready to handle a relationship, if she could emotionally accept it. He should have just made more moves sooner and asked her out sooner. But then everyone would have been complaining that the story was boring and cliche. I've already been over that point once. Hanako's route is all about the struggle to actually reaching the relationship rather than how the two deal with their relationship like the other girls' routes. Except maybe Rin's cause she doesn't really reciprocate Hisao's feelings until near the end.

I think it could have gone extremely well either way. The story could have gotten quite a bit more detailed about Hanako's life... her interests in singing and computers and what not. But that's left for us to imagine, and write about. That's yet another thing making it great, it keeps us wanting more. Well thankfully, there is another piece of fan fiction here that really helps satisfy our desires for more.

Major point is, I don't think the white knighting gets all that bad. Then again, I never seen the bad ending. I have a feeling Hisao says something condescending that I would never say, and I don't want to see it. I feel I should not. So I won't.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:...But where the whistle blows is when he starts questioning if she's ready to handle a relationship, if she could emotionally accept it...
I agree; I think you can even pinpoint the exact spot where Hisao screws it up: "if she needs a prince, then I will be that prince" (paraphrased I think.)
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Whats bizarre is how through most of Lilly's route it does seem like they're babying her a lot more than in her own route. And ironically she ends up growing a lot more in that path than her own.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

I honestly think that Hanako's own route gives her the potential for more growth that we don't really get to see. One can only imagine, which is why great fan fiction like Sisterhood was written. I honestly consider that a part of Hanako's real canon. It easily makes her the best girl in the game. But then again I've never read any fan fiction about any of the other girls. I am a Hanabro, through and through. Almost like the super obsessed white knights everyone keeps talking about, but any tendencies of that I have are only due to my extremely powerful feelings of empathy for people. It's like, a really strong central trait of mine. How do you explain to someone that their pain hurts you as if it were your own? It's extremely rare nowadays, I think. Hard to deal with cause I would think people think most don't give a crap.
Negativedarke

Post by Negativedarke »

Yes Sisterhood is amazing.

It's worth noting it's not just Hisao who's making mistakes on Hanako's route. Hanako misunderstands him and his intentions at times. Even when he's not white knighting, she might think he thinks she's helpless. One of the big differences for Hanako between her route and Liliy's is that she's actually in the romance. If Hanako had given up on friendship, just imagine how she must have felt about romance. And it's not like Lilly, Hisao can clearly see her scars. She says that she thought he was moving away from her in the good ending, and Hisao realizes that she misinterpreted his wanting a more romantic relationship. A major thing for the good ending is the two realizing there's a lot about each other they don't understand yet.
"Misha, I don't think Chocoholism is a real disability."
"But the School's Entrance Board does Hi-Chan. Wahaha~"
TARDISman85

Post by TARDISman85 »

Whelp, spent the better part of last week catching up on this story. I just switched to a new computer after my old one's fan died so I'm looking for motivation to start up another run through all the stories. This'll probably do it! Keep up the good writing!
Solistor

Post by Solistor »

I like your take on Hanako's side of the story, and I like the nods to Sisterhood as well :)
Add this to my "to follow" list
Negativedarke

Post by Negativedarke »

The problem with Sisterhood is that it's so good you won't be able to keep from regarding it as canon after reading it.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Negativedarke wrote:The problem with Sisterhood is that it's so good you won't be able to keep from regarding it as canon after reading it.
Whats wrong with that? Its not like we're going to get a KS2 that contradict anything about it.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
00zau

Post by 00zau »

Well, I've really enjoyed this so far, so I hope you can continue to keep it up.

Since you mentioned writing different bits for each end, I thought I'd mention something about the Bad End. I just read a rather good (if rather short) fix-fic that sorta turns around the Bad End, called Second Beats (I can't into the forum code here, so seperate link http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7799679/1/S ... nd%20Beats). <selfish mode> It'd be nice if you could spare the short time it takes to read it and maybe keep your bad end somewhat consistent with it for head-canon sake</selfish>. Also, it's just a nice little story.
Solistor

Post by Solistor »

00zau wrote:<selfish mode> It'd be nice if you could spare the short time it takes to read it and maybe keep your bad end somewhat consistent with it for head-canon sake</selfish>.
Dude's writing independently of head-canons; he's already conflicted once with a Sisterhood point, small though it may be. Pro tip: If you don't want to compromise your head canon, simply don't read the bad end part. :)
Negativedarke

Post by Negativedarke »

pandaphil wrote:
Negativedarke wrote:The problem with Sisterhood is that it's so good you won't be able to keep from regarding it as canon after reading it.
Whats wrong with that? Its not like we're going to get a KS2 that contradict anything about it.
The problem is not ripping it off if you want to write Post Hanako good end fanfictions of your own. Ms. Yumi in particular. Now I just cannot imagine anyone else treating Hanako.

If we get a KS 2 it should totally be about Misha in America.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

The problem is not ripping it off if you want to write Post Hanako good end fanfictions of your own.
Just for the record...it's not ripping off if you ask and get permission, which the author did. I guess Yumi making her way to other fics is mostly because there weren't many fics that explored Hanako's therapist. Heck, before Sisterhood lots of people probably imagined Hanako's therapist to look like Gendo Ikari, due to some pictures on the Shimmie.

Personally, I don't care about intra-fic consistency. It's too much of a bother and I'd risk getting control-freaky with other people's stories. When I told the author he/she could use the character, my only condition was the character herself being written without inconsistencies with the way she was portrayed in Sisterhood. Any other stuff is free game.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Trivun

Post by Trivun »

Wow, I've been gone for a short while and suddenly a big controversy (that's not so big really xD) is springing up! Well, I just want to say that it's actually pretty cool to see people actually caring enough about my writing to argue over it, to whatever extent. Thanks also to Guest Poster for being cool about my use of Miss Yumi, as I've mentioned several times previously. The thing is, when I write characters who were created by other people I usually share the same sense of staying true to that character as I do when I'm writing my own characters in my own original works elsewhere, even if it is tougher (I can change personality and aspects of my own characters at will, after all, I can't do that to someone else's creation...). But with regards to Sisterhood, aside from the use of Miss Yumi, I never intended for it to be connected to Sisterhood, not even as a prequel of sorts, since I set out originally solely to write a new version, a retelling, of the original visual novel, before I'd even ever heard of Sisterhood. It was basically pure luck that I stumbled on, and enjoyed, that story before reaching a point where I needed to use the therapist character, otherwise the therapist would be someone completely different, and unique to Hanako's Story.

Regarding Second Beats, I may well read it at some point if it's good, but aside from potential subconcious concerns I won't be using it as a reference or anything when I write the bad ending eventually. Thing is, I want to stick solely to the original story and only use what was canon in the game, and my own interpretations of that, as a reference (aside from obviously using Sisterhood for Miss Yumi). Not to mention that this fanfic is being posted on another gaming website, The Escapist, and on Fanfiction.net as well, and there's a large percentage of my readers who will most likely have not heard of a lot of the fanfics that people on this site may have read, meaning any derivations or connections to those stories would only be worthwhile to a small number of readers.

Finally, good news! Writing has been limited as of late due to my starting a new job, but I plan to get the next chapter finished this weekend, so hopefully that will be uploaded by Sunday evening (UK time) at the latest!

Xbox Live: Trivun117
Steam: Trivun