Rin: Specters of an Atelier

WORDS WORDS WORDS

BigDoktor

Rin: Specters of an Atelier

Post by BigDoktor »

So, this is my first serious stab at fanfiction. A bit of background, this is a noir romance/mystery/thriller following Rin's neutral (read: bad) ending, where she leaves Hisao to go to a big art school in Tokyo. I got the idea while browsing fanfiction and seeing different stories that branched off of not-so-good endings. I recorded a gag voice for a project (that you can check out from the links in my signature) that was essentially Max Payne as Hisao. That ended up giving me the idea to explore the darkest timeline (for you Community nerds) in cynical noir fashion. So, if the above spoiler tag wasn't indication enough, there will be major spoilers for Rin's route in this story. Read at your own risk.

I feel confident enough to post the prologue, as I fully expect to make a lot of changes to the story as I go along. However, I think the prologue won't suffer too much damage, so here we go. Feedback is much appreciated, as it will help me shape the final product. TELL ME WHAT I GOT WRONG! Thank you.

It's been ten years since Hisao Nakai last saw Rin Tezuka, who left Yamaku Academy - and him - to pursue an art career in Tokyo. Ever since the day they parted, Hisao had sunk in a downward spiral of bitterness, lethargy, and depression. One day he gets a call from an old friend and recieves some very unexpected news. The subsequent events force Hisao to confront the demons of his past.

EDIT: For accompaniment to the mood, I highly recommend the combination of this and this.

Without further ado, here is (working title) Rin: Specters of an Atelier.

Prologue: Splotches Against a Canvas

A harsh breeze was causing the naked branches overhead to rattle like wooden windchimes. It was a somewhat familiar feeling, though not exactly in a good way. It was late winter, and around this time of year, it seemed that whenever it wasn't snowing, it was raining. That's probably not true, but I hated the rain, and it never seemed to get the hint. Lucky for me, I wasn't waiting on anybody out here in the blistering cold, so I had no excuse not to escape into the shelter of my apartment building.

Not that the lobby of the building was any better. You could tell how much care it was given by the peeling wallpaper and tile flooring that was missing a few squares. The sight was complete with a faint musky smell that could have very well originated from a homeless tramp pissing in the corner. Someone tried to brighten the dingy room by hanging a painting on the far wall. At least I think they were trying to brighten it up. For all I knew the painting served to make the room even more depressing than it already aspired to be. I hated art. I never understood it, not that I ever bothered to. It looked nice, but at the end of the day, it was just splotches against a canvas.

I knew a painter once, in high school. Rin Tezuka. She was a great artist, or at least I thought so. I never saw the meaning behind those abstract paintings of hers, but at least they looked nice.

Rin.

There was a point in my life when I thought I loved her. She ended up leaving for a big art school in Tokyo, and I never saw her again. She was a dandelion that flew away in pieces when the winds changed until there were no petals left.

Come to think of it, she hadn't even crossed my mind in years. Why was I thinking of her now? She was a lifetime ago, when I was just a dumb kid looking to get his rocks off on any girl who looked at me. I guess my mind was on edge. I was too cold and too sober to linger here any longer.

I made my way to number 106 and opened the creaky door to the rathole I called "home." Not to upstage the classy lobby downstairs, my apartment was as shitty as I must have looked right now, and I was a regular sideshow of stubble and leather. The rain outside threatened to burst through the window like a crazy ex-girlfriend who owed you a few kicks to the groin. I took my coat off and tossed it aside, taking a seat next to a bottle of whiskey and an empty cup already splayed out for me to enjoy. I lit a cigarette and poured myself a glass. One vice in one hand and another vice in the next. I was a dime store Philip Marlowe. Instead of being some hotshot hardboiled detective, I was just a lowly claims adjuster working for an insurance company in the city. It wasn't much, but it was enough to get by on, and it was something I managed to fall into a few years back. I was never really as ambitious as I could have been, and although my high school science teacher encouraged me to go into his field, I couldn't imagine myself now focusing on anything besides the science of how piss drunk I could get before passing out.

A sharp ringing from across the room interrupted my meandering thoughts. Someone was eager about calling me. My phone rarely ever rang save for the times my boss called to bitch about my paperwork; however even he wouldn't have the gall to ring at this time of night. Setting my two friends down on the table, I stumbled over to the telephone and picked up the receiver.

"Yeah? What is it?"

"Hisao? Is that you?"

A voice I hadn't heard in quite some time. It was lacking the usual bubbly quality, but there was no mistaking its owner. An old friend.

"Emi? To what do I owe the pleasure of this late call?" My words came out a little harsh, but already I felt a headache coming on.

"I'm sorry, it's just that-" She cut herself off. I had no idea what this was about, but her voice sounded more grounded than I remember. I rubbed my forehead above my eyebrows. Let me get back to my drink, already.

"Are you sitting down?" Her voice betrayed a hint of concern.

"Why?"

"Can you please sit?" I was getting nowhere with this girl. I hadn't spoken to her in years and out of the blue she calls me up and starts giving me orders like we were in high school again. She was definitely preparing to give me bad news, and remembered my rare condition before she delivered.

Arrhythmia. It once was a strange, foreign word, but now it's sewn itself onto me. It would have defined me if the booze didn't get there first. In any case it could give me a heart attack if provoked well enough. In my current state, I was more prone to one than I used to be. However, I wanted this conversation to end already and sitting down wasn't going to make things go faster. Arguing with her wasn't going to help, either. Outside, I could hear the rain letting up.

"Yeah, I'm sitting. What's going on?"

"We got a call at the school today. Hisao…it's Rin. They found her in her apartment this morning."

"Wait, what?"

Maybe it was her not-so-straightforward way of speaking, or maybe it was the whiskey buzzing in my head, but it took me a while to realize what she was saying. Consequently, her next words hit me like a ton of bricks I never saw coming.

"Hisao, Rin is…dead."

If you all wouldn't mind, please leave some views and reviews here. I will continue posting chapters here.
Last edited by BigDoktor on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Katawa Shoujo - 100% complete!

SEN ID: HawkeRaines

Auditionee of Katawa Seiyu - Katawa Shoujo Let's Read Project
Facebook Page
Mirage_GSM

Re: Rin: Wraiths of an Atelier

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Just one thing so far:
Keep your tenses consistent! You're jumping between past and present tense like a kangaroo....
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
BigDoktor

Re: Rin: Wraiths of an Atelier

Post by BigDoktor »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Just one thing so far:
Keep your tenses consistent! You're jumping between past and present tense like a kangaroo....
I figured someone would catch on to that. It was one of my main gripes writing this story. I decided to make it past tense to keep it in line with the noir setting, but it looks like the style of the game crept up on me during the late hours of the night. I've just edited it and hopefully erased all inconsistencies in syntax. I've also made some minor changes.

As far as the content/story goes, how are you liking it? Are there inconsistencies between this and the game? Thanks for your feedback.

-Dok

Facebook Page
Mirage_GSM

Re: Rin: Specters of an Atelier

Post by Mirage_GSM »

If you're going for past tense, a few more lines should be past perfect, like
I knew a painter once, in high school.
That's why I prefer writing present, but like I said - just my preference.
Not really a lot of opportunities for inconsistencies so far, don't you think?
As for content - so far the only things we learned are:
1. 10 years have passed.
2. Hisao's been unhappy.
3. Rin has died.

I try not to form an opinion this early in a story.
Your writing style and atmosphere are good. Not sure how long it will hold up though. It might get too depressing, if the story becomes too long.

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
BigDoktor

Post by BigDoktor »

Mirage_GSM wrote:If you're going for past tense, a few more lines should be past perfect, like
I knew a painter once, in high school.
I was going for a stream-of-counsciousness prose (or perhaps, more appropriately, internal monologue) as is common in noir fiction. This may or may not be in line with what I actually wrote, but that's what I was aiming for.

Facebook Page
BigDoktor

Post by BigDoktor »

Quick note: Added edit for optional accompaniment. Enjoy.

Facebook Page
BigDoktor

Post by BigDoktor »

Another note: Added fanfiction.net page. Will post future chapters there henceforth and notify this thread.

Facebook Page
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Too bad. This was promising.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
BigDoktor

Post by BigDoktor »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Too bad. This was promising.
I'm sorry my choice of narrative style disappointed you?

Facebook Page
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

No. It was your choice of posting location.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
BigDoktor

Post by BigDoktor »

Mirage_GSM wrote:No. It was your choice of posting location.
Is there some stigma attached to the site I don't know of...?

Facebook Page
DanjaDoom

Post by DanjaDoom »

BigDoktor wrote:
Generally people here aren't to big on fanfiction.net. Probably has to do with alot of the stories on there being amateurish weaboo stuff (not all of them, though).
My fine literary endeavors: Real, M&M, Rat Race, and Hideaki: A Tale of Manliness. Feel free to stroke my ego and read them.

We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey-Sanic
BigDoktor

Post by BigDoktor »

DanjaDoom wrote:
BigDoktor wrote:
Generally people here aren't to big on fanfiction.net. Probably has to do with alot of the stories on there being amateurish weaboo stuff (not all of them, though).
Well I'll try not to do that then, and I hope merely posting on the site doesn't somehow morph it into something like that.

To be honest I think, at least so far, one wouldn't know the story is set in Japan if not for the character names. It could very well be set in Los Angeles or London. I don't know if that's something I should try to change or not.

In any case, are there any other sites that this community WOULDN'T look down upon? Like a more respectable fanfiction site...? I'd be grateful to know of any.

Facebook Page
BlackRockHanako

Post by BlackRockHanako »

BigDoktor wrote:In any case, are there any other sites that this community WOULDN'T look down upon? Like a more respectable fanfiction site...? I'd be grateful to know of any.

Uh...this forum?
BigDoktor

Post by BigDoktor »

BlackRockHanako wrote:
BigDoktor wrote:In any case, are there any other sites that this community WOULDN'T look down upon? Like a more respectable fanfiction site...? I'd be grateful to know of any.

Uh...this forum?
I will definitely continue posting here, sure. I think I'll post full chapters instead of links though. I'm definitely getting more traffic here anyway, haha. I was wondering if there ARE any good dedicated fanfiction sites though...

Facebook Page