Yet Another One-shot Repository (New Entry 12/6/23)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

ProfAllister

Yet Another One-shot Repository (New Entry 12/6/23)

Post by ProfAllister »

Figure it makes more sense for me to have one thread for my one-shots that I can resurrect when I have a new one, rather than clutter the forum with a bunch of tiny topics.

Now with navigation!

Karaoke Night (You Are Here)
25 Years Later...
A Very Student Council Christmas
Sharks and Minnows
Katawa Shoujo: The Musical!
So She Dances
Hokkaido: a Turning Point
Where Are They Now?
Freaks and Friends Super Happy Funtime Christmas Special
Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow
Two Halves Make a Hole
The Death and Return of Niji
Meeting Miki
War Diary 31-10-2007
Three Bits of Silliness
Onsen a Lifetime (Separate Thread)
A Christmas Sketch (Separate Thread)
A Convenient Distraction
Dreams By Firelight
Dear Hisao (Separate Thread)
Samosa Surprise (Separate Thread)
Father Knows Best (Separate Thread)

Just a silly one-shot, and probably not very original, but it's something to get the creative wheels turning...

Karaoke Night

“My, my. That was... interesting.”
“Am I done now?”
What sort of a Karaoke bar even HAS "4'33”" in rotation? I guess it is somewhat appropriate that Rin got that song, in a weird sort of way, but...
As the lights come up, I look down at the sheet of paper. Next up is...
“Emi! It's your turn.”
“Aww... do I have to?”
Please, not the puppy-dog eyes. I would give in, but I can feel Shizune's glare against the back of my head, “We already agreed to this. We each drew straws, and you're next.”
“Well... can I do the same song as Rin?”
“No you can not! Didn't you just-! Rin shouldn't have-! We all agreed to set it on random and take whatever song we were given. You're no exception.”
“All right, but you jerks are the ones that are going to be sorry...”

My god. That was so terrible I think it gave me cancer. If only there were a way to wipe it from my memory...
“Hey, Akira...”
“Sorry, kiddo. All I had was my emergency flask, and that was an emergency,” She shudders involuntarily. I don't blame her.
“Fine, let's continue down the list... Hideaki? It's your turn.”
Hideaki gives me a blank look, “I see.”

Hideaki ended up with some English song. I notice Lilly comforting Hanako... or is it the other way around?
“It-it's okay, Lilly. It was j-just a song.”
“Speaking of it being a song,” I turn my attention back to Hideaki, “You do realize that you're supposed sing when doing Karaoke, right?”
In fairness, his monotone did sort of seem to work.
That same infuriating blank stare, along with a shrug, “I see.”
I glance back at Shizune. She seems to be enjoying herself, having picked a seat right next to the speakers. Misha said that she likes to feel the music.
“Lilly? Looks like you're next.”
“Thank you, Hisao. You realize that I need to actually know the song, though.”
“Right!” Somehow, I had almost forgotten, “It's... Is this even English? 'Maid Gaed Tae the Mill'? Is that a song you know?”
Her expression darkens, “Unfortunately, I am familiar with that one, so I guess I have no choice. Although it is quite convenient that this song came up at a Japanese Karaoke bar, on my turn no less.”
Akira is maintaining a labored appearance of innocence, no doubt exaggerated to a comic degree at Lilly's expense, “Yes, Lilly, there's a massive conspiracy plotting to embarrass you in front of a bunch of friends,” The sarcasm is almost convincing, “We all agreed to this, and we all had to sit through Emi's performance.”
That last comment earns Akira a swift cuff to the shoulder.
With a grimace, Lilly relents, “Fine. At least most of you won't have any idea what's being said...”

Lilly was right. I have no idea what the lyrics mean. I can usually pick up one or two English words, but that was utterly incomprehensible. A little catchy, though...
Akira's wearing a devilish grin, “Now, Lilly, was that so bad?”
“Yes, Akira, it was. Are you happy now? I know you were involved.”
“Dear sister, I have no idea where you would get such an idea.” She's really laying it on thick. She must be really enjoying this.
“I'm sure. Hisao, you're next, right?”
“Huh? Oh, right.” I check the list to make sure. It's me alright. “Another English song?” I guess I can't complain after drawing a hard line for everyone else.

Some song about the weather, from what I could make sense of it. For some reason, Lilly, Akira, and Misha seem to be in on some sort of secret joke.
“Good job, Hisao!”
Well, Emi liked it. Let's hope her taste is better than her singing.
“Yes. snrk Ahem You did a very good job, Hisao.”
I never thought I'd see Lilly snicker. They must be whispering among themselves or something, as Hanako's wearing an amused grin, too. Shizune's laughing silently, too, so Misha must have shared the joke.
“What is it?” I glance down, but my fly's not open, “Did I do something wrong?”
“No, Hicchan. No, you were just so... spirited~! Wahahahaha~!”
Okay, now I know something's up.
Emi pats my shoulder, “It's okay, Hisao, I don't get it either.”
Rin pipes in, “The melodic harmonization and chord progression was pleasing. Maybe they find the key of A-flat major funny...”
“Alright!” I shout, perhaps a little too loudly, “Akira, looks like you get to follow up my 'spirited' performance.”
“Yeah, yeah, don't rush me,” she says dismissively, ruffling my hair as she passes, “I've got this covered.”

Another English song. "Smoke Gets in Your Eye". She does a decent job. Not every performance has to be memorable, I guess.
“I guess I was a little off,” Akira shrugs, “That song worked out much better when I did it in Turkey.”
“My, my, another story from that adventure?” Lilly almost looks intrigued. I'll have to remember to ask about that.
“H-Hisao?” I jump. It always startles me a bit when Hanako speaks up on her own, “It's me next, right?”
“Right, your turn.” I glance at the song. High energy J-Pop? I'm not sure I can imagine how Hanako will pull that off... At least it's not another English song...

For four minutes, she transformed. This wasn't the shy, bookish, antisocial Hanako I had come to know. She was very much an idol, with the bright, cheerful singing, the flirtatious manner and gestures, and even a good singing voice, to boot. Of course, the instant the music ended, before the lights were back up, she was already clinging to Lilly as if her life depended on it.
“Um, wow,” Emi sums up the general reaction pretty succintly.
“That's the long and short of it,” Akira chimes in, “She does that every time.”
Hanako's turned a bright red by this point, trying desperately to hide herself behind Lilly's shoulder.
“Okay, Misha, you're up.”
“Okay! Okay, okay~! That's right! It's my turn! My turn! Yay~!”
She seems a bit excited.
Over the Distance? This feels like it will be a train wreck. She'll probably sing well, her voice is pretty musical to begin with, but she seems pretty terrible when it comes to conveying tone.

Taking advantage of the dim lighting, I wipe a tear from my eye. A manly tear, of course. I certainly wasn't expecting that. Everyone else seems to be in an awed silence as well. Needless to say, it's Misha that breaks the silence and the mood.
“Alright~! Okay! Whose turn is it now?”
“Um... well, you were the last one...”
“Yup! So we're starting from the top of the list again~?”
I'm not sure anyone can top those last two performances, or is even willing to try. Besides, that would mean giving Emi a second song.
“Actually,” Lilly cuts in, “It is getting rather late, and this room isn't free, either.”
Good save, Lilly. Misha isn't too thrilled with that, though.
“Aww... I guess you're right. It was fun, though! We should do this again~!”

Yes. Yes, we should. Except for Emi.

Last edited by ProfAllister on Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
LOL WUT

Re: Karaoke Night

Post by LOL WUT »

Well Emi did say in her path that she cant sing.

Also I find it unfair that -Snickers- Shizune did not get to sing.

Oh God I am such an ass. :D
Xanatos I'm Sorry.
Xanatos wrote: I was totally going to include the leaf. Otherwise it's just a Ken(ji) doll because I can't model cocks from nothing.
Hello! Did I mention that I have a form of Arrythmia?
LOL WUT: I Am Feeling The Urge To Get More Posts Than You By The End Of The Year. May The Best Man Win
Xanatos: Bring it, Clifford.
JOIN US
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Shizune sings in ellipses. It's a hard skill to master.
Kyvos

Post by Kyvos »

Helbereth wrote:Shizune sings in ellipses. It's a hard skill to master.
"...♪"
"...♫"
Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Rin
100% get!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Well, Shizune could sing 4:33 with no problems at all. Shame that song went to Rin.
So what song did HIsao have to sing. Off the bat, I can think of half a dozen songs about weather.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:So what song did HIsao have to sing. Off the bat, I can think of half a dozen songs about weather.
My guess is It's Raining Men.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Catgirl Kleptocracy

Post by Catgirl Kleptocracy »

Had to look it up, but It's Raining Men is in fact in A Flat Major. Solid find.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

That was among the half-dozen songs I though about, but I'm not sure how that would induce so much mirth in everyone - apart from the different appearance of Hisao and the original artists ;-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Mirage_GSM wrote:That was among the half-dozen songs I though about, but I'm not sure how that would induce so much mirth in everyone - apart from the different appearance of Hisao and the original artists ;-)
I think it has to do with the lyrics.

Classically, that song is sung by women or gay men unless it's done ironically... so...
Catgirl Kleptocracy

Post by Catgirl Kleptocracy »

And even when sung ironically, it's still Goddamn hilarious.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Adorable little one-shot that was wonderful to read. Shame the nature of it prevents it from being longer, but still a nice read.

Hanako... J-Pop... is a HHNNGG! appropriate here?
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Hoitash wrote:Adorable little one-shot that was wonderful to read. Shame the nature of it prevents it from being longer, but still a nice read.

Hanako... J-Pop... is a HHNNGG! appropriate here?
I brought this song up as something Misha would listen to, but I think Hanako singing it would be epic:

Namie Amuro - Hide & Seek

Oh, and I feel I should explain how I got exposed to that song:

World of Warcraft Machinima by Perculia - Blind
ShinigamiKenji

Post by ShinigamiKenji »

I laughed when I read Akira's commenting on Emi singing. And I imagined the last two girls singing, Hanako almost drew some manly tears from me. Nice one-shot!! Waiting for part 2 (with Kenji, Yuuko, Mutou, Nurse and Jigoro too). :lol:

Just a question: How didn't Shizune and Lilly fight??
Xanatos wrote:Shinigami...Kenji. Oh, you poor guy. You have my sympathies. :lol: But at least with you around, our supple Japanese women won't be raped by lesbians. :mrgreen: ...Actually, that'd be pretty hot

:lol:
Avatar made by OtakuNinja. Yeah, it would be pretty badass if it happened, don't you think?
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Glad to see people enjoyed it.

Was just a silly little thing, and I probably leaned a bit too heavily on some cliches and easy jokes, but whatever. It's my second completed piece of creative writing, and the first was over a decade ago, so that counts for something...

Shizune didn't get a song because I wanted things to stay grounded in a semblance of reality. Akira bribing the techs to set Lilly up with a bawdy Scottish drinking song is a stretch, but believable. Shizune being asked to sing Karaoke, much less consenting to do so, is a whole other kettle of fish.

4'33" is notorious for having sheet music, so I decided it was only a tiny stretch to add it to a Karaoke rotation. That being done, Rin is the only one who would take it seriously. And she would play it straight the whole way through.

The intended song for Hisao was, in fact "It's Raining Men." If you fail to see the humor in a young Japanese man with a poor grasp of English singing that song exuberantly to a bunch of girls (generally having a much better grasp of English), I'm not sure there's much I could add to help explain the joke, aside from what's already been said. Besides, they weren't ROFL, just snickering and smirking. Also, there's a third category associated with the song: Women, gay men, and male strippers.

You have my permission to HNNGG! at Hanako doing J-Pop. That was kinda the point. :P

As for Shizune and Lilly not fighting, finish playing all paths. It's possible for the two of them to reconcile their differences. That being said, I make no comment on which path (if any) this would fall under.

For an added bonus: I had specific songs in mind for each of the characters (excluding Emi and Hanako), and reasons attached to each. I'd like to imagine you can figure out the songs/reasons based on the hints dropped in the text, but I have the advantage of working backwards...
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
insert_name_here92

Post by insert_name_here92 »

ProfAllister wrote:My god. That was so terrible I think it gave me cancer.
Futurama references make me very, very happy. Hilarious story, friend!
Calvin: They say the world is a stage. But obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines.

Hobbes: Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

Calvin: We need more special effects and dance numbers.