Former Sisterhood thread

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Oscar Wildecat

Re: Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) (Completed)

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

Negativedarke wrote: See there is actually a problem with everyone wanting their children to get the prestigious jobs. There are the jobs that like to think they keep things running. Then there are the jobs that keep things running. And a lot of those are the jobs that actually keep things running. Like plumbers or garbagemen. You know what happens when you don't have any plumbers or garbagemen? You end up to your eyeballs in Shit or Trash.
Okay, who let Mike Rowe on the forum? :wink:
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Oscar Wildecat wrote:
Negativedarke wrote: See there is actually a problem with everyone wanting their children to get the prestigious jobs. There are the jobs that like to think they keep things running. Then there are the jobs that keep things running. And a lot of those are the jobs that actually keep things running. Like plumbers or garbagemen. You know what happens when you don't have any plumbers or garbagemen? You end up to your eyeballs in Shit or Trash.
Okay, who let Mike Rowe on the forum? :wink:
Traditionally those jobs are heavily looked down upon in Japan (even more then they are here.)

As in, those are the jobs you get when your family is disgraced and you have brought such shame on your family that your children are doomed to be janitors and tanners from now on (or if you're a Korean resident, but let's not get into that.) Actually that whole viewpoint may have changed; my knowledge of Japan tends to cut off at 1868.

Anywho, I fully support the KS cast having children, and its good to see I'm not alone in this sentiment.

Either way, though, the fact that people are still reading and commenting on this fic is a testament to it's quality, so I once again say good job, GP :).
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

Hoitash wrote: Anywho, I fully support the KS cast having children, and its good to see I'm not alone in this sentiment.

Either way, though, the fact that people are still reading and commenting on this fic is a testament to it's quality, so I once again say good job, GP :).
Yep. This fic is what attracted me to the forums (via TV Tropes).
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.
Negativedarke

Post by Negativedarke »

Eh just went off on a tangent there. I got reminded of a conversation I had with my brother and his wife. They kinda hope my nephew will go for a trade like Plumber or Electrician rather than something that requires college. And part of that is because a lot of those fields have way too many people competing for a ever shrinking pool of jobs, whereas a shortage of Plumbers and Electricians is expected to occur. And also the odd tendency to look down on people doing jobs that may not be clean or glamouruos but are absolutly vital.

But that is off topic. Getting back on topic, I wonder where Hanako would live once she finishes at Yamaku? I can see her rooming with Lilly if they go to the same college.
"Misha, I don't think Chocoholism is a real disability."
"But the School's Entrance Board does Hi-Chan. Wahaha~"
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

This is kind of off-topic, but is there a difference between the word college and university in English? In my country, the two are used for two different types of education with the former being slightly lower than the latter. (but still highly regarded) In English, the two seem to be used almost as synonyms.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Minion of Chaos

Post by Minion of Chaos »

Guest Poster wrote:This is kind of off-topic, but is there a difference between the word college and university in English? In my country, the two are used for two different types of education with the former being slightly lower than the latter. (but still highly regarded) In English, the two seem to be used almost as synonyms.
In the States, we use college and university interchangeably in conversation. The only difference in meaning usually comes up when the name of the institution comes up.

"Colleges" can be a local thing (like a community college) or they can be a subdivision of a university (Ex: The College of (Insert Field) at ______ University/University of _____), with the latter sometimes being called a "School of___" instead of a College- it depends on the University in question.

People from England usually refer to this level as "Uni," short for University. I can't elaborate further there because I'm not from England and couldn't tell you otherwise about colleges there.

By the way, loved the fic you had going on here. I read it a few weeks or so ago as a guest/lurker before creating my account.
AR700SAW

Post by AR700SAW »

Minion of Chaos wrote:Snip
Yeah, here in England it's the same way that Guest Poster stated; High School, College and then University :)
Emi > Hanako (extremely close second) > Lilly > Shizune > Rin

With these beautiful FanFictions included (Hanako: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6750 Rika: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5920 Suzu: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6192), the order goes:
Hanako > Emi > Rika > Suzu > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
badmanslayer04

Post by badmanslayer04 »

AR700SAW wrote:
Minion of Chaos wrote:Snip
Yeah, here in England it's the same way that Guest Poster stated; High School, College and then University :)
Well it is either sixth form or college
Hanako Nakai

Post by Hanako Nakai »

Oscar Wildecat wrote:
Hoitash wrote: Anywho, I fully support the KS cast having children, and its good to see I'm not alone in this sentiment.

Yep. This fic is what attracted me to the forums (via TV Tropes).
I Agree with this, and btw.. this fiction branches out on Lilly's route too, which makes it near canonized.. I must say a job well done for the author :D
ImageImage
You should be a protagonist of a new story :lol:

Am I really that dense?
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'm pretty certain this fanfiction is a long way off from being canonized...

Well, I guess this is marginally better than "cannonized."
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

And that makes for my daily dose of random trivia.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
ewx

Post by ewx »

Really nice fic. Still haven't quite finished it but I look forward to doing so. :D

Noticed a few possible typos:
Ch. 7:
distributing it along the rest of the student body
Should that be 'among' ?

Ch. 9:
cigarette smoke and transpiration
While not completely wrong, I've only ever seen transpiration used to refer to water leaving the skin of plants, not humans. It's much more common to see perspiration being used in the case of sweat (which I assume is the smell you were going for).

I think there was another one but I've lost it. :(
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

While distributing sth "along" a group is slightly archaic and definitely not common usage, I don't think it's actually wrong...

The perspiration/transpiration thing is very interesting:
I always use transpiration and always thought perspiration was another word for the same thing - maybe a difference between AE and BE...
Turns out I should have paid better attention in biology class...
Transpiration is originally the process of secreting visible moisture via the skin - plus the botany thing.
Perspiration is the evaporation of moisture through the skin which is usually not visible as well as coutaneous respiration. The latter is admittedly not a big thing among humans ;-)
Modern usage in English seems to have blurred the distinction quite a bit. Most english sources I found couldn't quite agree on the definition.
But transpiration is definitely the correct word to use here.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
ewx

Post by ewx »

I can't speak for American English but I'd never use transpiration to mean sweating in humans due to perspiration being more specific in what it refers to (sweating in mammals as opposed to the general movement of water through the skin and outside of a body).

The Wikipedia article for Perspiration lists transpiration as a possible alternative and the article for Sweat also redirects to the page called Perspiration.
It's also worth noting that some deodorants are referred to as antiperspirants whereas antitranspirants is an article about a spray for plants.

As with the other example I pointed out, it isn't wrong but I'd say that they are not the most right. If this is just evidence of the British/American English language differences then please educate me before I keep looking for typos. :lol:
MasterOfRomance

Post by MasterOfRomance »

Hi everyone, I've been floating around the forums for several months now (first played KS a little less than a year ago and came here while looking for more) and I want to say how wonderful this fic is. I've read it several times, usually in conjunction with the actual Hanako route, and it might as well be canon as far as I'm concerned. You did a great job of capturing the essence of the VN, characters, and general message of Hanako's path, even incorporating some aspects of her bad end and Lilly's good end (whoever said Pathception earlier deserves an invisible internet :lol: ) I do hope you write more, whether they be epilogues for the other girls or a continuation of your Hanako story, because this is the single greatest piece of KS fanfiction...maybe even ALL fanfiction. The musical cues don't hurt, either, and are well done (though seems oddly lacking in Painful History, being a Hanako story...)
Think your favorite route is too short? Here are my recommended fan-canons!
Hanako's route-->Sisterhood
Emi's route-->Ascent
Lilly's route-->Still haven't found one yet!
Shizune's route-->Weekend at Hisao's
Rin's route-->Still haven't found one yet!