Re: Hanako, Uninterrupted (post-good end, complete) (sex)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

MusedMoose

Re: Hanako, Uninterrupted (post-good end)

Post by MusedMoose »

Helbereth wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:Well, I see a bit of a difference between taking someone out for a round of pool and teasing them about having had sex for the first time.
Heck, I would have been mortified by the latter when I was that age, but if you think that's about the same - it's your story.
I thought Akira's teasing was a little ambiguous - much like her character. Sure, it could be construed that way, but she could easily have been asking if their relationship had progressed, not necessarily sexually - which it hadn't, really, prior to their leaving for Scotland.
I seem to have made it too ambiguous, and I apologize for that. Akira's hand gestures to Hisao were meant to ask if he and Hanako were together, like Helbereth said. Akira asking if Hanako and Hisao had sex would have involved a different gesture, one that requires two hands. ^_^ I think I didn't post enough of the story to begin with, and probably should have posted the next scene as well, where there's a little more clarity. But I'll post it tomorrow, as planned.
Ascended Flutist wrote:You have me hyped good sir. Take responsibilities~♥ :]
Thank you. All I can say is that I hope you enjoy it. ^_^
Lurker since 2008. KS fan forever.
Favorites: Emi and Hanako
My fanfiction: Featuring the post-Hanako good ending fic "Hanako, Uninterrupted". Also: Oh! My Goddess, Onegai Teacher, Love Hina, Noir, Chobits, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Contains an RGU/Sandman crossover and much femslash.
MusedMoose

Re: Hanako, Uninterrupted (post-good end, updated pt.2)

Post by MusedMoose »

* Tea and Suddenness *

The familiar bell rings as we walk into the Shanghai, and I let my breath out slowly. So far, so good. I asked Lilly and Akira every question I could think of about Scotland and their time there, so the trip wasn’t too bad. Aside from Akira’s erratic driving, but at least that seemed to wake Lilly up a little more.

A waitress leads us to a corner booth, and takes our orders for a pot of tea that Lilly and Hanako enjoy and a platter of sandwiches. Akira looks like she’d prefer something different, but she doesn’t seem to mind too much.

Then she looks at me, then at Hanako, and back to me, and that grin comes back. Beneath the table, Hanako’s hand squeezes mine again.

Akira
“So, we miss anything interesting while we were gone?”

Think quickly, I tell myself. Anything is fine. Almost anything.

Hisao
“Not a whole lot. Everyone’s stressing over exams, and they’re not for a while. Were able to keep up with school when you were gone, Lilly?”

Lilly
“Most of it. Akira’s been helping me with e-mail, and I had my teachers give me some lesson plans before we left. I should be fine.”

It’s good to hear. With the sudden trip and her aunt to worry about, the last thing Lilly needed was to fall behind in her classes too.

But I can tell it’s not what Akira wants to hear about. She gives me another raised eyebrow, and points to the space between Hanako and myself, where the position of our arms makes it clear we’re holding hands under the table.

I glance at Hanako. Her eyes are downcast, and I can’t tell if she’s blushing because she’s embarrassed or if it’s a sign of something bad. Any second now, I think, Hanako’s going to start shaking, and then what?

The waitress comes back with our tea, and I pour for everyone. We clink our teacups together in mutual celebration of Lilly and Akira’s return, then everything’s silent for a moment as we all drink. Then, Lilly lowers her cup and faces where Hanako’s sitting.

Lilly
“Hanako, have you--”

Hanako
“We confessed to each other!”

She doesn’t say it loudly, but Hanako blurts it out with such force I’m surprised the windows don’t shatter.

The silence that follows feels so heavy I consider sinking down under the table. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen Lilly at a loss for words, but she’s frozen with her fingers wrapped around her teacup, her mouth slightly open. Akira seems the exact opposite – she calmly sips, her eyes half closed, her entire attitude projecting ‘I told you so.’

Hanako’s breathing hard, and when I look at her, she already has her eyes locked on me, her lips quivering. I try to give her a smile, but I’m sure it comes out a little pained.

That was not how I wanted to handle this.

But hey, it’s out, and there’s no taking it back. I lift both our hands up onto the table, and take a deep breath.

Akira
“Told you, sis. You said he called you just to ask about her, he had to be into her.”

Lilly
“You couldn’t have known for sure.”

Akira only laughs and sips her tea again. Lilly seems to be fighting to regain her composure, but it’s an easy battle, and she takes a drink before turning toward Hanako again.

Lilly
“Despite what Akira says, this is a surprise. But I’m happy for you both. Can you tell me what happened?”

Hisao
“It’s kind of . . . complicated.”

It’s not much, but it’s the best I can do on short notice. And there’s not a chance I’m telling her the whole story right now. Especially not in public.

Besides, what matters is we’re together, right? We’re together and we’re working on understanding each other. Even if it’s only been about a week, it still feels like–

Akira
“Always is. But I gotta say, I’m proud of you two. Didn’t think either of you would go for it.”

Hanako leans against me, and I look down to see her smile. I don’t know why she felt she had to get it out all at once like that, but now that it’s happened, I’m glad she did. It makes things easier now that the important part is out there.

Hanako
“We . . . we spent time together, when Lilly was gone. We talked a lot. I told Hisao about the orphanage, and he told me about. . . .”

Hanako glances at Akira, looking very unsure.

Hisao
“It’s okay. You can tell her.”

Hanako
“About his h-heart. And things . . . happened.”

Akira starts to frown. ‘Things happened’ is about as vague as it can be, but it could mean almost anything in this situation. And considering how close Lilly and Akira both are to Hanako, they might not like what they think it means.

Akira
“Got a bad heart, Hisao? That why you’re here?”

I let my breath out all at once. Somehow, that question is a lot easier to answer than the ones I thought she’d ask.

Hisao
“Yeah. I have arrhythmia, I only found out about it last winter. I had a heart attack in the middle of a love confession.”

Akira’s serious face changes all at once, and somehow, I laugh along with her. It keeps getting easier to talk about my condition, and I don’t mind Akira knowing.

Akira
“Must have been a hell of a confession!”

She downs the rest of her tea, then winks at Hanako and I both.

Akira
“Looks like things turned out better for you this time. Good to know.”

The atmosphere at the table eases after that, and we’re able to talk without trying to avoid the elephant in the room. Or, in Akira’s case, pointing at the elephant and trying to get everyone else to talk about it.

The conversation falls by the wayside as the sandwiches arrive, and shortly after we’re done eating, Akira glances at her watch and mutters.

Akira
“I’ve got to check in at work before I get home, and they know when I landed. You guys want a lift back?”

-------

* All of You *

Akira drops us off at the Yamaku gates, and I pull Lilly’s luggage out of the trunk while she and Hanako get out of the car. Once we’re all set, Akira bids us goodbye, and drives off holding one hand high out the window.

Lilly’s starting to look tired again, so I pick up her bag.

Hisao
“Back to your dorm, I take it?”

Lilly
“Please. I really need to sleep; it’s going to take more than a day to adjust to the different time.”

We walk toward the girls’ dormitory, Lilly’s cane tapping back and forth as she and Hanako make small talk. There’s something good about seeing them together again. I don’t know if what happened between Hanako and myself could have happened if Lilly hadn’t gone away, but I know it wouldn’t have happened if I hadn’t talked to her.

Hanako told me she didn’t mind only having a few friends; she clearly prefers it that way. All her friends are back now, which is even better. It will be good to see her smile more.

We reach the dorm soon, and make the short trip to the second floor. Lilly’s room is, of course, just as I remember it, and I set her luggage down against one wall at her direction.

Lilly
“Thank you, Hisao. I think I’d enjoy traveling more if I didn’t have to bring so much with me.”

We all chuckle at this, and Lilly folds her hands before herself. I recognize the pose – whenever she gets formal like that, she’s about to say something she’s been thinking about for a while.

Easy to guess what it’s about.

Lilly
“Hanako, Hisao . . . I am so happy for you two.”

I feel myself start to blush, and look at Hanako to see much the same. There’s still a shyness in her smile, even here among the three of us. But I think that comes more from her not being sure how to deal with all this.

Not like I know much better. But we’re working on it.

Lilly
“I’d always hoped you’d find someone, though I didn’t think it would happen so quickly. But I don’t think you could have done better.”

Hisao
“Thanks, Lilly. I don’t think I could have either.”

Lilly makes a face at me.

Lilly
“I wasn’t talking to you, Hisao.”

She smiles a moment later, and we all laugh. This all feels really awkward, but I think we’ll get used to it in time. I remember how, back with my old friends, it was sometimes weird when one of them dated someone and couldn’t hang out with us all the time. But we adjusted.

Then again, none of my circle of friends ever dated each other.

Lilly
“I do want to hear about everything that happened. But not until I’ve rested for a good, long time.”

Hanako
“We can talk tomorrow, Lilly. We’ll let you sleep.”

Hanako and I say our goodbyes, and leave Lilly to unpack and rest. Probably not in that order.

Once we’re in the hallway, I turn to Hanako and catch her stifling a yawn. It seems Lilly isn’t the only one feeling worn out. Being at the airport must have taken a greater toll on her than I thought.

Hisao
“So I’ll see you tomorrow?”

She glances at Lilly’s closed door, and bows her head a little, as though ready to apologize for something.

Hanako
“I thought . . . I want to talk to Lilly tomorrow. It’s been a long time, and. . . .”

She trails off, but I think I understand. It’s not like we have to see each other every day, and I could use the time to keep up with my studies. Besides, it wouldn’t feel right to get in the way of them catching up on . . . things.

Hisao
“Okay. I’ll see you in class on Monday.”

Without a word, Hanako leans in close and hugs me.

This has become sort of a thing for us, ever since that day in the park. When it’s time for me to leave, she’ll put her arms around me, and rest her head on my chest, like she doesn’t want me to go. I can’t help but wonder if she never got many hugs, growing up at the orphanage as she did.

I put my arms around her too, feel her sigh as she relaxes against me. There is something undeniably comforting about this. I give her a kiss on the top of her head, then rest my cheek on her hair.

For all the time we spent dancing around each other after we met, this makes it all worth it. Just knowing we can be comfortable around each other, that she can touch me and not feel like I’m going to reject her or get tired of her, that I can touch her and not worry that she’s going to run away.

It makes everything worth it.

We separate after a long moment, and Hanako whispers her goodbyes as she closes her door. I take another deep breath, and head out.

The day has only grown warmer, and I tug at my shirt collar as I head toward the middle of campus. There’s still plenty of time, I could probably get to the library and find a few books before I start studying. Maybe get something that sounds really good, so I can reward myself with an interesting book after studying English–

Hanako
“Hisao!”

. . . what?

I turn to see Hanako hurrying out of the girls’ dorm, some kind of fear in her eyes. My heart gives a single hard thud, and I force myself to breathe evenly. What could have gone wrong in about a minute?

Hanako walks up to me, opens her mouth to say something, then rubs one hand on her arm. I know what that means. She’s looking away, unsure but wanting to speak. I slowly reach out and put a hand on her shoulder.

Hisao
“Hanako, what is it?”

Hanako
“I . . . I was thinking about what I said at the Shanghai. I said that we c-confessed to each other.”

The eye I can see grows wider, and she blushes again. Where is she going with this? I decide to wait, hoping she’ll keep going now that she’s started.

Hanako
“But that’s n-not really true, is it? You told me you love me, but I never . . . I never said. . . .”

Oh. Oh, I didn’t even think about that. It seemed like our feelings were mutual, but I didn’t think . . . there was a lot of other stuff on my mind right then.

Hanako kneeling there, crying, it brought out everything. I couldn’t have held back if I’d wanted to. It never even occurred to me that she didn’t say the same thing.

Before I can tell her that’s all right, Hanako puts one hand on my chest, right in the center. I know what she’s feeling for, and after a moment, her fingers run over my surgery scar. I remember when I showed it to her, showed that she wasn’t the only one scarred. And then, a few days later, she showed me all of herself.

Beneath her hand, my heart starts to beat faster, and as Hanako looks up at me, I know she can feel it. She leans closer to me.

Hanako
“I . . . I love you, Hisao.”

I put one hand over hers, and blink away sudden tears. Has she ever said that to anyone before? How long did it take for her to work up that courage, and. . . .

A sudden idea occurs to me, and I go through with it before I can think to stop myself.

With my free hand, I sweep aside the long fringe of dark hair over the scarred side of Hanako’s face.

Both her eyes go wider than I’d thought possible. I’ve seen all her face before, but that was always by accident or situation, never deliberate like this. The scars are much the same there as anywhere else on her, and I take them all in, preparing for what I know I have to say.

Hisao
“I love you, Hanako. All of you.”

Her eyes squeeze shut, and she presses her face into my chest. Her shoulders shake as she starts to cry. Not what I expected, but I know what kind of tears these are.

After a moment, she looks up at me again, tears streaming down her face. She lifts her mouth toward mine, and I meet her halfway, our lips pressing together in a kiss that sets my heart to pounding.

I don’t think either of us ever imagined this would happen. But here it is.

When we end the kiss, she looks into my eyes for a long time, as though trying to see if I really meant what I said. I don’t break the gaze. She has to know I mean it. And after a moment, she presses her face to my chest again, and lets out a small sigh.

We hold each other for a while, and when we finally separate, she doesn’t say a word. But I know that smile.

Hanako
“See you on Monday, Hisao.”

Hisao
“See you then. Goodbye, Hanako.”

Hanako
“Goodbye.”

She hasn’t stopped blushing, and I watch her return to the dorm before starting back toward the library.

If I’d taken more than a second to think about that, I might not have done it. Or I might have decided it sounded like a line from a bad romantic comedy. But it felt right.

Today was a really good day.
-------
To be continued.
Last edited by MusedMoose on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
My fanfiction: Featuring the post-Hanako good ending fic "Hanako, Uninterrupted". Also: Oh! My Goddess, Onegai Teacher, Love Hina, Noir, Chobits, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Contains an RGU/Sandman crossover and much femslash.
Ascended Flutist

Post by Ascended Flutist »

grandmother
It was their aunt if I recall correctly. Though you can let it slide as an oversight from Hisao.
But I can tell it’s not what Akira wants to hear about. She gives me another raised eyebrow, and points to the space between Hanako and myself, where the position of our arms makes it clear we’re holding hands under the table.

I glance at Hanako. Her eyes are downcast, and I can’t tell if she’s blushing because she’s embarrassed or if it’s a sign of something bad. Any second now, I think, Hanako’s going to start shaking, and then what?

The waitress comes back with our tea, and I pour for everyone. We clink our teacups together in mutual celebration of Lilly and Akira’s return, then everything’s silent for a moment as we all drink. Then, Lilly lowers her cup and faces where Hanako’s sitting.

Lilly
“Hanako, have you--”

Hanako
“We confessed to each other!”

She doesn’t say it loudly, but Hanako blurts it out with such force I’m surprised the windows don’t shatter.

The silence that follows feels so heavy I consider sinking down under the table. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen Lilly at a loss for words, but she’s frozen with her fingers wrapped around her teacup, her mouth slightly open. Akira seems the exact opposite – she calmly sips, her eyes half closed, her entire attitude projecting ‘I told you so.’

Hanako’s breathing hard, and when I look at her, she already has her eyes locked on me, her lips quivering. I try to give her a smile, but I’m sure it comes out a little pained.

That was not how I wanted to handle this.

But hey, it’s out, and there’s no taking it back. I lift both our hands up onto the table, and take a deep breath.
I got no words for how awesome I found this scene to be. So have this.
Hanako
“We . . . we spent time together, when Lilly was gone. We talked a lot. I told Hisao about the orphanage, and he told me about. . . .”

Hanako glances at Akira, looking very unsure.

Hisao
“It’s okay. You can tell her.”

Hanako
“About his h-heart. And things . . . happened.”

Akira starts to frown. ‘Things happened’ is about as vague as it can be, but it could mean almost anything in this situation. And considering how close Lilly and Akira both are to Hanako, they might not like what they think it means.

Akira
“Got a bad heart, Hisao? That why you’re here?”
Hanako new about Hisao's heart problem by the end of act2. What he did is show his scar and talk about his childhood in reciprocation for her talking about the orphanage. Also, I assumed Akira knew about his condition as well. But that's, well, just an assumption, so why not.
Hisao
“Yeah. I have arrhythmia, I only found out about it last winter. I had a heart attack in the middle of a love confession.”

Akira’s serious face changes all at once, and somehow, I laugh along with her. It keeps getting easier to talk about my condition, and I don’t mind Akira knowing.

Akira
“Must have been a hell of a confession!”

She downs the rest of her tea, then winks at Hanako and I both.
Hisao being suddenly much less awkward about his circumstances is a bit surprising, but since he's been living in the comfort of his love with her for a few weeks, I guess you could tag it as character evolution. Still, stacked with what I've mentioned before, it tickles my suspension of disbelief.
Hisao
“Hanako, what is it?”

Hanako
“I . . . I was thinking about what I said at the Shanghai. I said that we c-confessed to each other.”

The eye I can see grows wider, and she blushes again. Where is she going with this? I decide to wait, hoping she’ll keep going now that she’s started.

Hanako
“But that’s n-not really true, is it? You told me you love me, but I never . . . I never said. . . .”

Oh. Oh, I didn’t even think about that. It seemed like our feelings were mutual, but I didn’t think . . . there was a lot of other stuff on my mind right then.

Hanako kneeling there, crying, it brought out everything. I couldn’t have held back if I’d wanted to. It never even occurred to me that she didn’t say the same thing.

Before I can tell her that’s all right, Hanako puts one hand on my chest, right in the center. I know what she’s feeling for, and after a moment, her fingers run over my surgery scar. I remember when I showed it to her, showed that she wasn’t the only one scarred. And then, a few days later, she showed me all of herself.

Beneath her hand, my heart starts to beat faster, and as Hanako looks up at me, I know she can feel it. She leans closer to me.

Hanako
“I . . . I love you, Hisao.”

I put one hand over hers, and blink away sudden tears. Has she ever said that to anyone before? How long did it take for her to work up that courage, and. . . .

A sudden idea occurs to me, and I go through with it before I can think to stop myself.

With my free hand, I sweep aside the long fringe of dark hair over the scarred side of Hanako’s face.

Both her eyes go wider than I’d thought possible. I’ve seen all her face before, but that was always by accident or situation, never deliberate like this. The scars are much the same there as anywhere else on her, and I take them all in, preparing for what I know I have to say.

Hisao
“I love you, Hanako. All of you.”
YES. FUCKING YES. ALL OF MY YES. This is as sweet as an entire tanker worth of moterfucking cherries.
The rest
After that however, it became a bit too emo, however understandable it was. I dunno, a bit too much in the 'floodgate breaking thing', I could say.

Overall, I have to say I'm quite pleased with this chapter. Very, very good job, sir. :]
And to live in Peace A post Hanako Good End fanfiction. That about sums it up.

Fanfics Thou shalt not regret reading : Bloodline, Doomish's Misha Pseudo-route, Rika's Story, A Pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route.
There are many other apocryphas worth reading in the fanfiction section. Do yourself a favor, dig them up and read them. Reading is good.

Nice hat.
MusedMoose

Post by MusedMoose »

Ascended Flutist wrote:
grandmother
It was their aunt if I recall correctly. Though you can let it slide as an oversight from Hisao.
...crap. I replayed Hanako's route and Lilly's route to make sure I had the characters down, and I miss a simple thing like that. @_@ Fixed it, thank you for catching that.
Ascended Flutist wrote:I got no words for how awesome I found this scene to be. So have this.
http://www.colectiva.tv/wordpress/wp-co ... m_clap.gif
Never gotten the slow clap.gif before. ^_^ Thank you.
Ascended Flutist wrote:Hanako new about Hisao's heart problem by the end of act2. What he did is show his scar and talk about his childhood in reciprocation for her talking about the orphanage. Also, I assumed Akira knew about his condition as well. But that's, well, just an assumption, so why not.
True. I was more thinking about the conversation they had before they spent the night together, which covered all kinds of things, including Hanako's time at the orphanage and Hisao's heart condition. And Lilly might have told Akira about Hisao's heart condition, the way she told Hanako, but that's never shown and Akira never mentions it in Hanako's route, so I guessed she didn't know.
Ascended Flutist wrote:Hisao being suddenly much less awkward about his circumstances is a bit surprising, but since he's been living in the comfort of his love with her for a few weeks, I guess you could tag it as character evolution. Still, stacked with what I've mentioned before, it tickles my suspension of disbelief.
I dunno. I was thinking that, after the awkwardness he's just had to deal with, talking about his heart didn't seem so bad. ^_^
Ascended Flutist wrote:YES. FUCKING YES. ALL OF MY YES. This is as sweet as an entire tanker worth of moterfucking cherries.
Nothing I can say to that but thank you. I was worried that the "all of you" part might come off as cheesy; Hisao even acknowledges it. But when I thought of it, I knew I had to do it.
Ascended Flutist wrote:After that however, it became a bit too emo, however understandable it was. I dunno, a bit too much in the 'floodgate breaking thing', I could say.

Overall, I have to say I'm quite pleased with this chapter. Very, very good job, sir. :]
I just couldn't imagine Hanako reacting to that without tears. Good tears, but tears nonetheless. And I've never liked the negativity when people talk about being 'emo', because to me it always sounds like they're saying it's bad to show emotion, and I don't agree with that at all. But that's just me.

Glad you're still enjoying it; thank you for reading. ^_^ Next update in three days.
MusedMoose

Re: Hanako, Uninterrupted (post-good end, updated pt.3)

Post by MusedMoose »

* Everything *

Some of my classmates giggle when I walk into the classroom on Monday morning. I’ve gotten used to it.

People stared the first few times I walked in with Hanako, and I think that really threw her. She was used to people pretending not to notice her – she liked it that way. But when she and I started coming to class together, high school being what it is, people started talking.

After a week, it doesn’t bother me anymore. And I didn’t run into Hanako outside the dorms this morning, so I guess she’ll get here eventually. She hasn’t been absent much over the past week, which is definitely good.

Sure enough, she slips in just before the bells ring, and we share a quick smile before classes start. Someone giggles again, and I don’t bother looking to see who. As quick as rumors spread around here, most of the school must know we’re dating by now.

The day, of course, drags on, and by the time Mutou’s science lecture ends I’m eager to be anywhere else. The bells ring, people start packing up and preparing for lunch, and before I can go over to Hanako’s desk, she’s standing at mine.

Hisao
“Ready for lunch?”

She lowers her gaze, and I frown. As always, my first thought is that something’s gone wrong.

Hanako
“I . . . I have to go see my therapist. Sh-she said this was the only time she could see me this week, and I couldn’t see her last week, so. . . .”

I nod. That’s a relief.

Hisao
“Oh, okay.”

I’m really not sure what to say next. Hanako hasn’t told me much about her therapist, but what little I’ve heard has been good. And if it’s been a while since they talked, Hanako definitely should see her.

Hanako
“I’ll talk to you tonight. Un-unless you’re busy?”

I can’t help laughing a little at that. We really are still trying to figure things out. Hopefully talking with her therapist will help Hanako.

Hisao
“Just studying. I won’t be too busy to talk.”

She smiles back, still seeming shy despite everything.

Hanako
“Okay. Talk to you then.”

She hurries out, and I watch her go, then sigh. Off to the tea room, I guess; odds are good Lilly knows about Hanako’s appointment. If not, no big deal, it won’t be the first time we eat without her.

As I expected, Lilly is there in the tea room when I arrive, and she turns to face me as I walk through the door.

Hisao
“Hey, Lilly. Hanako’s seeing her therapist, so she’s not with me.”

Lilly
“Yes, she told me about that. Would you like some tea?”

Hisao
“Please.”

I sit down across from Lilly’s chair and pull out my lunch as she prepares the tea. In some ways, it’s still amazing to watch her work. After a while, I’d think I’d get used to it, but apparently not.

Lilly’s lack of sight, though, means she doesn’t hide her expressions as well as most people would. And when she comes back to the table with my tea, I can see something’s on her mind. She sets the mug down and sits, then folds her hands before herself.

Lilly
“Hanako and I talked yesterday. She told me everything.”

I pause with the teacup halfway to my mouth.

Hisao
“. . . everything?”

Lilly
“Everything.”

I start drinking the tea, not caring how hot it still is and wishing for something stronger. As reserved as Hanako usually is, I didn’t think she’d go into detail, not even with Lilly. Then again, she’s only had Lilly to talk to for a long time, who else would she feel that comfortable with?

And now, with Lilly knowing what she does. . . . I set the teacup down.

Hisao
“You didn’t poison my tea, did you?”

Lilly laughs and waves a hand in front of her face, and some of the tension fades. This doesn’t seem like the kind of thing she thought she’d have to deal with. And now that I think about it, I’m really surprised Lilly doesn’t have a boyfriend. I wonder why, but now’s not the time to ask.

I don’t think Lilly would let me change the subject if I tried.

Lilly
“No, of course not. I might have if you’d been mean to her.”

Her smile shows she’s joking, but all the same, it makes me a little nervous.

Lilly
“I meant it when I said I was happy for you two. What Hanako told me doesn’t change that. All the same, it’s unexpected.”

Hisao
“I didn’t think it would happen either. When we talked, and you said we shouldn’t try to protect Hanako, I really had to convince myself you were right.”

Lilly nods, sips at her tea before continuing. I do the same. Now that everything’s out in the open, it will probably help to talk to her about this.

Lilly
“I’m glad you agreed. I think being away from her helped me realize what we were doing, what I’ve been doing as long as I’ve known her. It’s easy to want to protect her, isn’t it.”

It’s not a question, but I murmur agreement anyway. I think most anyone who knows Hanako would think the same thing. I wanted to protect her, but she doesn’t need it. She needs friends, not guardians.

Hisao
“It’s still kind of awkward, though. I know it’s not suddenly going to get easy and we’ll be this perfect couple, but . . . I don’t know.”

Lilly
“These kinds of things never go easily. At least, that’s what I’ve heard. Akira’s told me more about relationships than I could ever learn on my own.”

Ah, that explains it. Akira’s probably a good person to go to for advice on all this, but all the same, I’d rather get that advice filtered through Lilly.

And then something horrific occurs to me.

Hisao
“You didn’t tell Akira about this, did you? About . . . everything?”

Lilly smiles again and gives a small laugh. Clearly, she can hear how nervous I am at the thought of Akira knowing all this.

Lilly
“No, I didn’t. Though she did call me last night, and asked for any interesting details. She’s always been fond of Hanako, and she likes you as well. Even if I had told her, all she would do was cheer you on.”

That doesn’t make the thought of Akira knowing everything any easier, but I’ll take what I can get.

Lilly
“She did say to make sure you two always use protection.”

I nearly choke on my food. Lilly looks concerned for a moment, but I manage to tell her I’m okay, and down the rest of my tea. Once I can breathe again, I stare at Lilly for a moment.

Yeah, that sounds like exactly what Akira would say. It just sounded strange coming from Lilly.

Hisao
“We did. I . . . had a condom, you know, just in case. And we haven’t. Again. Since then.”

I can feel my face getting red. I’m suddenly glad to be discussing this with Lilly, because any guy I know would ask why not. Except maybe Kenji, who would be horrified at the entire concept.

Lilly folds her hands before herself again.

Lilly
“That’s probably best. This is something new for both of you, isn’t it?”

Hisao
“It really is. Everything just sort of . . . happened. We talked about it the next day, and she told me why, and it made sense, but at the same time. . . . I don’t know.”

Concern grows clear on Lilly’s face, and her hands tighten together.

Lilly
“What don’t you know, Hisao? She told me about your confession, and hers. I know this can be difficult, but what do you think you don’t know?”

I take a deep breath and let it out slowly. There’s no real answer to that. These things can get so complicated, especially with both Hanako’s past and mine. In a lot of ways, we’re still figuring each other out.

Hisao
“I don’t know where we’re going, or what’s going to happen. But nobody really does, do they? It’s not like we can see the future.”

Lilly
“True. But do you like where you are at the present?”

I don’t even have to think about that. It might be the only answer I truly know.

Hisao
“Yes. I love her, and . . . that’s enough, isn’t it?”

Lilly’s smile makes me realize I’ve hit on the right answer. She also looks more than a little relieved, which I guess makes sense. Neither of us wants to hurt Hanako, and things don’t always work out well in high school.

But I think Hanako and I can find a way to make it work.

Lilly
“I think it is. I’m hoping for the best for you two.”

Before I can reply, the bells ring, signaling the warning to get back to class. Lilly and I hurry to clean up, and don’t get to say much more until we’re about ready to leave.

Lilly
“Please, come talk to me if you need to, Hisao. I’ll always listen.”

Hisao
“Thank you, Lilly.”

We head off to our classrooms, and my steps feel lighter. After all the silence between Hanako and I when we were learning about each other, it feels good to talk to someone else about what happened. Especially now that we’re together.

When I get to class, Hanako isn’t there, but I figure she’s probably still with her therapist. That’s good. I settle down in my seat, pull out a notebook, and smile.

It really seems like everything is going to be all right.

-------

My phone rings, jolting me out of a more intense than usual bout of studying. I wonder for a moment just how focused I was to be so startled, then pick up the phone and check the number. It’s Hanako.

A rush of nervousness sweeps through me, but I brush it aside. There’s no reason for that, I remind myself.

Hisao
“Hello, Hanako.”

Hanako
“Hello, Hisao. I-I’m not interrupting anything, am I?”

Hisao
“Just studying. Nothing too important, I don’t think I was about to figure out faster-than-light travel or anything.”

She giggles quietly, and I grin. Even with as much reading as we’ve both done, it’s still good to know I can make a sci-fi joke and she’ll get it.

Hanako
“Can you come over? I don’t think it’s too late, and I wanted to talk to you about . . . things.”

Things. That’s just vague enough to make me worry. I shove the worry aside, same as the nerves from a moment ago, and nod even though she can’t see me.

Hisao
“Sure, I’ll be over. These things are . . . good things, right?”

Hanako
“I think so.”

There’s a kind of quiet reassurance in her voice. Whatever she talked about with her therapist today, it must have helped. And her inviting me over to talk is new. Usually we chat quietly in the library, or walk around campus. She hasn’t invited me to her room since. . . .

Since. . . .

Hanako
“Hisao? Are you there?”

Stunned silence over the phone probably isn’t a good thing, so I stammer an answer.

Hisao
“I’m here, I’m here. I’ll be there in a few minutes, okay?”

Hanako
“Okay. Goodbye.”

I say goodbye and close my phone, then take a few deep breaths to steady my heart. It’s pounding, not hard but enough for me to notice. Surely Hanako’s therapist couldn’t have recommended she and I sleep together again. Surely Hanako wouldn’t have agreed even if . . . or would she?

That whole situation is still a tangle in my mind, so I pull on my shoes and head out the door, shutting it quietly behind me so Kenji doesn’t hear me leave. I try to reassure myself that no, Hanako doesn’t want me to come to her room for sex.

And even if she does, I don’t have protection–

Stop that, I tell myself. It’ll just be to talk.

-------
To be continued.
Last edited by MusedMoose on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ascended Flutist

Post by Ascended Flutist »

It's so good. So well written, with so many good ideas that you exploit better than I do, Dagoth dammit.

At this point I have just one question :
Are you a wizard?
And to live in Peace A post Hanako Good End fanfiction. That about sums it up.

Fanfics Thou shalt not regret reading : Bloodline, Doomish's Misha Pseudo-route, Rika's Story, A Pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route.
There are many other apocryphas worth reading in the fanfiction section. Do yourself a favor, dig them up and read them. Reading is good.

Nice hat.
LOL WUT

Post by LOL WUT »

At this point I have just one question : Are you a wizard?
A Level 30 Wizard? Hmmm?
Xanatos I'm Sorry.
Xanatos wrote: I was totally going to include the leaf. Otherwise it's just a Ken(ji) doll because I can't model cocks from nothing.
Hello! Did I mention that I have a form of Arrythmia?
LOL WUT: I Am Feeling The Urge To Get More Posts Than You By The End Of The Year. May The Best Man Win
Xanatos: Bring it, Clifford.
JOIN US
Guest11111

Post by Guest11111 »

Gotta say this is certainly on of the better fanfic's I've read. How many part have you got coming?
MusedMoose

Post by MusedMoose »

Ascended Flutist wrote:It's so good. So well written, with so many good ideas that you exploit better than I do, Dagoth dammit.

At this point I have just one question :
Are you a wizard?
Again, thank you. *bows humbly* And I'm no wizard, though with two overstuffed bookshelves, I've got enough books to pretend to be one. ^_^
Guest11111 wrote:Gotta say this is certainly on of the better fanfic's I've read. How many part have you got coming?
Thank you, I really appreciate it. There are four more major scenes to the story, but some are kind of short, so I might put them into one entry. So three or four more updates to come.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

MusedMoose wrote:And I'm no wizard, though with two overstuffed bookshelves, I've got enough books to pretend to be one. ^_^
>books
>books made out of paper and ink and binding
Enjoy pretending to be an outdated old school wizard while us cool kids pretend to be technomancers. Go magitek or go home.
MrDogsniper

Post by MrDogsniper »

Honestly this is probably one of the best fanfics for KS that directly branch off of the original stories, all I can say is I think this is incredible.
Sandvich!
YourFavAnon

Post by YourFavAnon »

This is a very well written fiction so far. Intrigued to see the next part. I normally don't like the script type format for fics, but it actually works somewhat nicely with the way you're writing. Keep it up.
I write things occasionally.

Dumps of my 35+ fics can be found here and here (including some non-KS stuff).
MusedMoose

Post by MusedMoose »

MrDogsniper wrote:Honestly this is probably one of the best fanfics for KS that directly branch off of the original stories, all I can say is I think this is incredible.
YourFavAnon wrote:This is a very well written fiction so far. Intrigued to see the next part. I normally don't like the script type format for fics, but it actually works somewhat nicely with the way you're writing. Keep it up.
Thank you both very much. I try to put as much into my fanfic as anything else I write, and hearing things like this from my readers makes it all worth it. ^_^
MusedMoose

Re: Hanako, Uninterrupted (post-good end, updated pt.4)

Post by MusedMoose »

* Words Between Us, Part 1 *

I knock on Hanako’s door, and she opens it, just enough for me to see half of her face. I can’t help remembering the times when I came here before, when she shut herself in for days and wouldn’t talk.

But the half of her face I can see is smiling, and she opens the door all the way.

Hanako
“Hello, Hisao.”

She moves in close and hugs me, and I put my arms around her in return, rest my cheek on her hair as always. We’ve done this enough that I can sigh along with her, and I think, no, I know she feels the same way about all this.

After we separate, she steps back and invites me in, and I close the door behind me.

Hanako’s room is still pretty bleak, still looks like she hasn’t been living here long. The only bright spot is the two dolls Lilly gave her as birthday presents, though the chessboard I gave her has a prominent spot on her desk.

She sits down on her bed and motions for me to sit next to her, and I feel my face get warm. This is just to talk, I tell myself again, and try hard to believe it.

Hanako
“I t-talked to my therapist today. I told her about . . . everything.”

Same as Lilly, and Hanako told Lilly everything too. Well, I can’t say she’s still afraid to open up.

Hisao
“Everything?”

She nods, her smile shy and a little embarrassed.

Hanako
“Everything. It was one of the first things she told me when we first started talking, that I had to tell her about everything or she couldn’t help me.”

That makes sense. It’s the therapist’s job to help people through their problems; whoever the woman is, she’s not exactly a friend to Hanako, not like Lilly and I are. It doesn’t seem like Hanako wants her friends to think they have to help her, but this is different.

Hanako
“She was . . . really surprised. She didn’t think I would have a b-boyfriend after only knowing you a few weeks.”

Nervousness creeps into Hanako’s voice, and I rest my hand on hers. She seems to relax after a moment, but doesn’t say anything more.

Hisao
“This was kind of a surprise to everyone, I think. A good surprise, but – well, you saw the look on Lilly’s face.”

Hanako giggles quietly, and puts her free hand to her mouth as she blushes.

Hanako
“I didn’t think I’d say it like that. But Akira . . . she was smiling and acting like she knew, and Lilly couldn’t see it, and it just came out.”

Hisao
“It’s not like we were trying to hide it. Lilly and Akira know you hold onto people, but you don’t usually hold their hand when you do it.”

Hanako turns her hand over beneath mine. It’s a pretty awkward way of holding hands, but neither of us move. We’re both quiet for a moment, and she rubs her free hand on her arm. I know she wants to say something, but wait for her to do so.

Hanako
“My therapist said that w-we might have done things too fast. I told her why, like I told you, and she said she understands, but. . . .”

The look in her eyes borders on fear. I take a deep breath. Is she still worried I’ll reject her? I shake my head.

Hisao
“I think we did, but I don’t regret it. But we don’t have to rush into doing that again--”

Hanako
“Y-you want to?”

I look at her, my eyebrows raised in sudden confusion. Why would she think I wouldn’t want to? She knows how I feel about her, and after what I said on Saturday, how could she think otherwise?

All the same, the simple answer seems best.

Hisao
“Yes.”

She looks down at our clasped hands, and puts her other hand on top of mine, turning to face me as she does. I lean forward and kiss her forehead, then her cheek, and she’s blushing when I pull away.

But I make no other move. Even with what we just said, it really doesn’t feel like it’s something either of us want to do right now. Maybe she’s just really surprised at hearing me actually say it.

Hanako
“I think we should. . . .”

Okay, I might have completely misinterpreted everything.

Hanako
“G-go on a date.”

She raises her eyes and gives me a small smile, though she’s still blushing. I smile back, hoping it doesn’t look too relieved. Not what I expected, but a ton easier to deal with than . . . than anything else right now.

Hisao
“You’re asking me out?”

We both laugh, and she gives my hand a squeeze. She still looks nervous, but it’s the happy kind of nervous, like she knows the hard part is over.

Hanako
“Y-yes. My therapist said that we should try going out like most couples do, to spend some time together. I told her how I don’t always understand you, and she said this would help.”

That’s really good advice, actually. It seems like we’ve gone about this whole thing sideways and maybe backwards, instead of how things usually go. Then again, if I’d just asked her out like most people would, she probably would have run off again.

And if she’d asked me out, I might have had a heart attack from the surprise.

Hisao
“Well, I can’t say no to that. When do you want to go?”

Hanako
“How about . . . tomorrow? After school?”

There’s a kind of joy in her eyes, one I don’t get to see very often. This has to be the first time she’s asked someone out, the first date she’ll go on. Right then, I decide I have to do something to make it memorable.

Hisao
“Sounds good. What do you want to do?”

Hanako
“I was thinking we could go to the park, and have a picnic. I-is that okay?”

I nod. Simple, but definitely a date. And with exams coming up, it’s not like we have the time to do something big and elaborate.

Hanako
“I can make food, if you can bring a blanket.”

Hisao
“I can do that. I’ll bring drinks too, so you’re not doing everything.”

She nods. It’s a date, then. Like so much of my life since I came to Yamaku, this didn’t happen like I thought it would, but that’s not a bad thing. It’s hard to imagine how this could turn out bad. Unless it rains. But then we can go to the Shanghai or something, and it’ll still be a date.

We talk for a little while longer, until we realize it’s almost curfew. After saying our goodnights, I start back toward the mens’ dorm.

Only once I’m halfway there do I realize I don’t have a blanket, other than the one on my bed. That’s not really what I’d want to use for a picnic. And the only person I know who’s mentioned having one is Kenji.

Eh, when I ask, I’ll just tell him it’s for infiltration. He’ll believe me. Or I’ll tell him the real reason and steal a blanket after he hyperventilates and passes out. That would work too.

-------

* Words Between Us, Part 2 *

I don’t remember the last time I saw Hanako smile so much.

We’ve been at the park for most of an hour so far, eating the meal she prepared and chatting. Despite Lilly’s occasional doubt in Hanako’s cooking abilities, what she’s made is quite good, though I can’t place the spices she used in the rice. The sandwiches turned out well, though, I think as I take a bite.

Hanako
“Do you like them? I had to use what I had, and . . . I didn’t know if it would taste good together.”

Hisao
“No, it’s really good. All of this is.”

She only smiles back, and sips her drink. We talk for a little bit about schools we’ve been to, old teachers and why we didn’t like them and all that. It’s always seemed like things got much, much better for Hanako when she came to Yamaku, and hearing some of her stories only confirms it.

The conversation turns to lighter topics after we both go quiet for a moment, and once we’ve eaten and drank everything, I lay back and stare up at the sky. It’s that medium shade of blue summer skies sometimes get, where it seems like the morning could last all day.

Hanako shuffles around a little, then stretches out on the blanket and folds her hands over my stomach, resting her chin atop them. The movement catches me by surprise, and I blink at her, not sure what to do.

Hanako
“I-is this all right?”

She seems ready to sit up if I say the wrong thing, so I speak quickly.

Hisao
“It’s fine, it’s fine. I just wasn’t expecting it.”

She looks away for a moment, and when she speaks again, it’s in little more than a whisper, like she used to do all the time.

Hanako
“Tell me a secret about yourself.”

I stare up again, wondering what brought this on. Maybe it’s all part of getting to know each other more, to really understand each other. Surely she knows I’ll ask her to tell me a secret too, right?

I think for a long moment, then look at her again. Her eyes are wide, and I can’t tell if it’s curiosity or worry. But I think I know what to tell her.

Hisao
“I thought you were pretty first time I saw you, in the library.”

Hanako
“R-really?”

That got her. She’s blushing again, and I reach out and brush my fingers down the side of her face. She leans into my touch.

Hisao
“Really. Kenji even asked when I told him about meeting you, and I told him I thought you were cute.”

Kenji, of course, went on another of his rambles after that, but I don’t need to tell Hanako about that.

Hanako
“I see. I . . . I thought you were handsome too, Hisao. I wondered why you would t-talk to me.”

She glances away, and I try to think quickly. Now would be a really bad time for her to start thinking like that again.

Hisao
“That’s not fair. You can’t tell me the same secret I told you.”

I smile a little to show her I’m joking, but a serious look grows on her face, and I stay quiet. She didn’t say she’d tell me a secret in return, even though I planned to ask. Maybe she just wanted to know more about me. There’s something good about seeing her be more direct, instead of–

Hanako
“I l-like to be touched.”

I blink at her. That came out of nowhere. Not the secret I was expecting.

Hisao
“You do?”

She nods, and leans her face against my hand again. Her eyes slowly close, and I’m suddenly very aware of how she’s leaning against me, her arms folded over me. When she speaks, her voice is still low, but I get the feeling this is something she’s been thinking about for a while.

Hanako
“It didn’t happen often, when I was at the orphanage. We didn’t have parents, the people taking care of us didn’t try to be like that. So none of them hugged us, or even touched us very much. My p-parents used to, but. . . .”

I don’t want to move. She’s still resting her cheek on my palm, and her fingers are starting to press into my sides, like she’s trying to hold onto me. How much must it have taken, I wonder, for her to tell me about this?

Hanako
“After the a-accident, the first person who hugged me again was Lilly. She never seemed afraid to touch me. Everyone else acted like they were afraid I might break, or I c-could tell they didn’t want to.”

I take a deep breath, making her head rise and fall. She opens her eyes, and I see tears forming there.

Hisao
“Is this something your therapist said you should tell me?”

Hanako
“S-sort of. We’ve talked about it before, and I told her how you let me touch your scar. She said it could be good for . . . for me. For us.”

I’m starting to like her therapist more and more. It clearly took a lot for Hanako to say this, but I don’t see any way this could be a bad thing.

Hisao
“Hanako, you can hug me whenever you want. We could even share a beanbag in the library. I think the teachers will get upset if we hold hands in class, though.”

Her eyes brighten at this, and she rises a little, freeing her hands to wipe away tears. I start to sit up, and as soon as I’m there, she leans into me and puts her arms around my neck, pulling herself so close I almost fall over.

Hanako
“Th-thank you, Hisao. I didn’t know if you’d understand.”

Well, I really can’t argue with my girlfriend wanting to be touched more. Probably better that I don’t put it like that, though.

It’s easier to just hold her.

We stay and talk for a while longer, always with our arms around each other or us leaning against each other, all that kind of thing. There’s something really reassuring about it, like it’s easier to talk if we’re in contact.

Only when we realize the sun is getting close to setting do we pack up and head back to Yamaku. We hold hands the entire way back, a little awkward with me carrying a rolled-up blanket and her holding a rather large basket. And we reach the dorms all too soon.

Hanako
“Thank you, Hisao. I had a really good time today.”

Hisao
“Me too. We’ll have to do this again.”

She nods, and a blush creeps across her face as she smiles. She takes a step closer to me, lets my hand go to rest hers on my shoulder, then trace her fingertips across my cheek.

Hanako
“I think so too. Is . . . is it all right. . . .”

It seems strange that she’d ask to kiss me, after the talk we had, but I suppose this is different. I reach for her shoulder and gently pull her closer, and our lips meet as she presses herself against me.

Something important happened today. I know it. I can feel it in the way we’re together.

When we separate, she stares into my eyes for a long moment, and I remember the time I went to her room and showed her my scar. This time, though, I know she knows I’m here.

Hanako
“I d-don’t want you to go, but. . . .”

She lowers her eyes, and I nod. Something changed for us today, but we don’t have to rush things. I hug her again, and murmur that I understand. She looks a little unsure, but that’s all right.

Times like these, I know we don’t really know what we’re doing, but we’re doing okay just trying to figure it out.
-------
To be continued.
Last edited by MusedMoose on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brogurt

Re: Hanako, Uninterrupted (post-good end, updated pt.4)

Post by Brogurt »

>No booze
>No dickings
What an uneventful picnic.

Besides that, it was a nice, enjoyable read, so... business as usual, huh? But I feel like an overarching conflict, if present, should be more evident. I know that slice-o-life doesn't always have DRAMA, but even if it's an episodic thing where a conflict arises and gets solved in the same chapter, that might be of benefit.