Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 04/30/16 ~ recommitted to completion.

WORDS WORDS WORDS

TyronePotato

Re: Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 04/02/14 ~ Reactivated

Post by TyronePotato »

Helbereth, if you're gonna procrastinate, do it right. Add me on Steam and play Counter Strike: Global Offensive with me.
ooooh feels.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

TyronePotato wrote:Helbereth, if you're gonna procrastinate, do it right. Add me on Steam and play Counter Strike: Global Offensive with me.
You couldn't pay me to play an FPS, but thanks for the invitation.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Actually, now that I think of it, I've been playing Final Fantasy XIV (that's 14) of late... If anyone feels like looking me up, I play as Aiko Kurai on the Ultros server. My chocobo's name is Hisao (Aiko mounts Hisao... *snicker*). And I've made her a heterochromatic Hyur Summoner.
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

*sees post*

You are killing me here.
TyronePotato

Post by TyronePotato »

You couldn't pay me to give a fuck..
"Damn it feels good to be a gangsta..-"
ooooh feels.
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Well, it took me an entire week of procrastination, but I finally managed to read the whole of Tomorrow's Doom in it's current state! :D
I would go over every little detail that I liked (Shizune's "All your base" - I died XD), but that would take forever and make a huge post, so here's my broad thoughts on a few things:

Aiko: Probably my favourite OC girl on the forums (unless you count Suzu - which I don't really). She's a pretty well rounded character, who reminds me of a few people I know IRL, actually, and she does seem to fit right in to the KS-verse along with the rest of the cast. However, I would recommend she get her mind out of the gutter ASAP, but I think she may have already contracted HIV and Hepatitis from prolonged exposure.

The OCs: You've put together quite the diverse cast here, and I really like pretty much all of them.
Amaya is quite possibly the best bro-character I've seen in a while, and I love the interactions between her and the rest of the cast.
Yoko's just sweet - although, she does seem to have just as dirty a mind as the other girls in the troupe.I think she needs to bed Kenta ASAP before she goes full dominatrix on him. I can see it happening...
Speaking of Kenta, he is the other awesome bro-character that this fic has generated and the sarcasm is exactly the kind of thing I wish I could pull off myself - if I was actually funny.
No real comment on Tadao or Naoko - they're both cool in their own ways, just no real comment as of now.

Writing: This fic is, to me, what would happen if you took Learning to Fly and A Pseudo Pseudo Suzu Route and then mashed them together in one big blob - of awesome. Having it shown from the perspective of Aiko is much better than having it done from Hisao's perspective IMO he's kinda boring when exposed to for too long and it really helps that she herself is nicely fleshed-out. You have the wit and you're definitely talented (you got me to waste a week reading this - that says a lot).

Anyways, [/stupid rambling].
Kinda redundant when so many others have said it before, but please, for the love of god, keep going with this! I love it! :D

God-dammit, now I'm invested...

P.S. If "Happy valley" isn't on your gravestone, then I shall be very disappointed :evil:

Edit: I just remembered something from chapter 31 that really pisses me off whenever I see it (which is, admittedly, not often, but still):
Helbereth wrote:so I can watch him breathe. Once I'm sure his respiration has returned to normal
Okay, biology 101 here, respiration =/= breathing. Breathing is inhaling and exhaling, respiration is the chemical reaction of glucose and oxygen that produces energy within cells.
Unless Aiko had some way of monitoring the amount of carbon dioxide Hisao was exhaling, lactic acid concentrations in his muscles etc, there's no way she would know when his respiration had returned to normal.
Sorry to be pedantic, but this particular mistake irritates me to no end. :evil:
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
Patriqwp

Post by Patriqwp »

I can already tell- I enjoy this fanfic just as much as I hate your avatar.

Which means, very very much.

Except excelent story, reliable characters, I appreciate your faultless style and links to chapters. Small detail but rare in fanfics and worth noticing.
There's only one thing: while reading, I couldn't imagine Aiko, there were so few details . Can you point some good arts ( if they exist) which fits with your conception?

Edit:
And now, after wow reference, I can't erase sound of L70ETC from my mind;_;
http://oi58.tinypic.com/2ikwpzq.jpg
Especially because I used to be rogue, long time ago
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Well, there's this:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/helb ... usty-dream

The quality isn't great since I drew it myself, but it's at least somewhat accurate... I don't think anyone else has tried to draw any of my characters.
YOTC

Post by YOTC »

It's dirty and i love it.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

It has been over two years, apparently, since the last time I updated this story, which was on February 21, 2014 - the later updates were... not really updates.

In the time since, I have poked at the story numerous times, attempting to pick it up where it left off, but even having written 3 chapters worth of text (around 35,000 words), I wasn't able to manage getting those last few chapters pieced together. If I'm honest, I ran out of steam. Over the course of a year and some change, I'd published over 450,000 words in a story that I had thought would only take about 200,000. It was exhausting but rewarding, and ultimately I'm happy with what's out there. There are some parts of the story that I know could use some TLC, especially in the early chapters, but for the most part I'm happy with the story, its length, the characters, and the direction it was leading, but I just got tired.

The well of ideas that I drew from in those 450,000 words hadn't dried up, but the ability to grab them out of the ether and form them into coherent text had gone by the wayside. There are at least 30 different files on my hard drive, each containing about 2,000 words written as part of the final chapters that I just never thought worked quite the way i wanted them to, so I just kept trying. Rewriting, editing, piecing scenes together, trying to make them work in an order that made sense, and trying to maintain my sanity ended up being too difficult.

As of writing this, I probably haven't cracked open a Tomorrow's Doom file in the past 6 months.

Of course, writing this wouldn't make any sense unless that changed, or if I'd decided to give up altogether. For those of you who're fans of this story, you'll be happy to know I haven't chosen the latter option. Oddly enough it's the time since I looked at it that's probably the best fuel for finishing; I've spent so much time away from the story that I've forgotten several important bits that I apparently didn't write down in my separate notes. That's a good thing, though. It makes me want to rediscover those details, and I've already started writing a whole new version of the final chapters.

Before you get that hopeful glint in your eye, I should say that this will still be a long process; I may have to read through the whole story just so I don't end up screwing my own continuity in the last chapters. If all goes well, I'm hoping to have at least one cohesive chapter finished by June, but it could be later or earlier depending on whether my brain can manage the heavy lifting at a reasonable speed. Assuming I can manage a chapter every month, which is a fairly hectic schedule by most standards considering my track record of 10,000 word chapters, I should be done by the end of 2016, maybe earlier - there are only 3-4 chapters left, and maybe an epilogue.

TL:DR Tomorrow's Doom hasn't been touched in 6 months or updated in over 2 years, but that's changing. Hopefully there will be a chapter 46 by June, and I hope to finally publish "The End" by the end of the year. Things could go better, but I'm trying to manage expectations.
HoneyBakedHam

Post by HoneyBakedHam »

You have no idea how great this sounds! This and Mean Time to Breakdown are my favorite OC fanfics in Katawa Shoujo.
Christov_Jones77

Post by Christov_Jones77 »

Hi there, long time lurker with my first post. I finished KS in January of 2014 and dived into the fan fiction almost immediately. I have enjoyed all the stories I've read, but there are two that I truly loved and have reread twice, Tomorrow's Doom and Learning the Blues. Your characters grabbed me and never let go. Your story has kept me company many of the nights I work and has hit me harder emotionally than the original KS was able to. I say all that to say this, thank you for sharing this story, and I look forward to seeing your conclusion. Sorry for the sappy post and Welcome back. :D
YOTC

Post by YOTC »

Color me excited
brythain

Re: Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 04/30/06 ~ recommitted to completi

Post by brythain »

TD was one of the highlights for me when I first arrived in Feb 2014. I'd almost written it off. I'm very happy now.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
TubaMirum

Re: Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 04/30/06 ~ recommitted to completi

Post by TubaMirum »

Well while this is getting re-activated, I might as well finally stop being a terrible person and try somebody else's OC story...

And a chapter later I'm beginning to wonder how I'll find time to read it all... Well, it's good so there's one way I'll get to it! :D It's good to hear you're about to give finishing it another shot! I look forward to catching up!
Gustav Mahler wrote:If you find you're boring your audience, go slower not faster.