Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 04/30/16 ~ recommitted to completion.

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Blank Mage
Location: My own personal hell, with a metered internet connection.

Re: Tomorrow's Doom ~ Up: 11/06/13 ~ C.42 - Unexpected Layov

Post by Blank Mage »

While I'm working on Mean Time to Breakdown's trope page, I might as well make one on yours. I just have to read it first. Damn thing is a NOVEL. I'll get back to you on it.
And we're back.
-----------
"I wish I could convey to you just how socially inept I am, but I can't."
"I think you just did."
"No, I really, truly haven't."
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

I'm just about ready to start the page myself, but I need some help coming up with a description for the fic.
Flahhh

Post by Flahhh »

Helbereth wrote:Anyway, I'm still smashing my face on the keyboard trying to get this done, though lately I've been distracted with other activities--like smashing my feet, legs, buttocks, and other unnamed body parts on the keyboard.
After lurking these forums for over 3 years and finally managing to work up to courage to make an account a few weeks ago, i'm glad my first comment can be...

That 1. This Fanfic is probably the best piece of literature I've read (not really saying much but it's gotta be work something, right?) and 2. I just spent the last hour imagining the ERMAGERD girl twerking over a keyboard, my life is complete.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Blank Mage wrote:While I'm working on Mean Time to Breakdown's trope page, I might as well make one on yours. I just have to read it first. Damn thing is a NOVEL. I'll get back to you on it.
Oh, but it's only 400,000 words! That's like... an afternoon! Two days tops! Maybe a week... Okay, let's face it: you could probably read War and Peace almost as fast. However, there aren't nearly as many Star Wars references, literary depictions of partial or complete nudity, or dressing room montages in that dry, bloody story... so there's that... but, don't let me influence your decision.
Kyler Thatch wrote:I'm just about ready to start the page myself, but I need some help coming up with a description for the fic.
I used to have this posted on fanfiction.net, and there was a description based on the first ten chapters or so, but it probably wouldn't quite apply to the current story, nor do I think it even still exists there.

Hmm...

I just went and looked it up--it's still there, apparently:
"Aiko Kurai, class-rep for room 3-1 at Yamaku Academy, is a geeky math-whiz, a sarcastic meddler and tends to over-think things. Plagued by a dark past, she knows her future is marred by a certain doom, but tries to live in the present. Following her father's footsteps in more ways than one, can she live without regrets?"

God, that's corny... did I write that? Fuck...
Flahhh wrote:
Helbereth wrote:Anyway, I'm still smashing my face on the keyboard trying to get this done, though lately I've been distracted with other activities--like smashing my feet, legs, buttocks, and other unnamed body parts on the keyboard.
After lurking these forums for over 3 years and finally managing to work up to courage to make an account a few weeks ago, i'm glad my first comment can be...

That 1. This Fanfic is probably the best piece of literature I've read (not really saying much but it's gotta be work something, right?) and 2. I just spent the last hour imagining the ERMAGERD girl twerking over a keyboard, my life is complete.
I don't know if this might shatter your perceptions or not, but I'm a guy... and a big, fat, grotesque one at that. So, my mention of smashing various body parts on the keyboard was not only completely metaphorical, but in context utterly revolting and a little bit sad... Anyway, carry on!
Last edited by Helbereth on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Aaand, we're live. I'm sure someone can edit a better (possibly less spoilerish?) description in.
Flahhh

Post by Flahhh »

Yeah, that was just my F**ked up mind going to weird places, like after that description of yourself i kinda want some KFC and possibly waffles... hmm, brb.

Also, (put's fingers in... ears? or would that be eyes?) i'm not listening! you're your old avatar in my mind and that's the way its gonna stay.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Kyler Thatch wrote:Aaand, we're live. I'm sure someone can edit a better (possibly less spoilerish?) description in.
Someone might want to add this to the KS Recommended Fanfics as well. I should have some time tomorrow if nobody does it by then.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Kyler Thatch wrote:Aaand, we're live. I'm sure someone can edit a better (possibly less spoilerish?) description in.
You should probably spoiler the Satoru Miyoto bit--that one's supposed to stay under wraps.

And, for the record, the April Fools chapter really isn't part of the canonical storyline--it was done entirely as a joke.
TheGoatman

Post by TheGoatman »

Only 400,000 words? One hour. Two tops, every time I think about starting this story I decide to wait and see if it gets another update, I have a phobia of stories I read being abandoned, or is it an abandonment issue? Either way after hearing this has almost 2 hours of reading material in it, I think it's time to start, can't see it getting abandoned at this point.
I'm just a rusty old goat and a poor writer by anyone's standards, so no need to take my advice to heart, and when you do, take a handful of salt with it.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

I Call Him "Mister Happy": Aiko calls her breasts "Masa" and "Mune".
PFFFFT! :lol: That still makes me giggle.
Unusual Euphemism: "Happy valley" as a term for female genitalia.
Eh, I've seen weirder Euphemisms.

Also, added it to the FanficRecs page too.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Helbereth wrote:You should probably spoiler the Satoru Miyoto bit--that one's supposed to stay under wraps.
Noted.
And, for the record, the April Fools chapter really isn't part of the canonical storyline--it was done entirely as a joke.
I thought calling it the April Fools chapter made it clear enough that it wasn't canonical.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

I thought calling it the April Fools chapter made it clear enough that it wasn't canonical.
Well, let's just say I don't always trust my audience. I try to put faith in them at every fathomable juncture, but having seen the bitingly incorrect reactions to some bits of internet sarcasm, I know there's always a chance someone might be confused.
supernoodle

Post by supernoodle »

I’ve read pretty much all the major pseudo route fics, but I felt the urge to finally create an account to comment on this one.

There are plenty of amazing fics on here (I suppose MTB and the Suzu-route being the others in my top 3), but “Tomorrow…” takes the crown in giving me the most emotional fascination. Your story has captivated me far beyond what the original KS routes did.

I binge read the entire thing in about 5 days, with a little help from holiday-season downtime at work. I just couldn’t put it down. I love the day-to-day “substantial-ness” of the story, and I commend you for writing so much while sustaining such quality. You’ve gotten me addicted in a way shorter stories just can’t do.

I want to thank you and also curse you for making me worry so much about fictional characters. And thank you for so accurately reminding me what being 18 and in love felt like. You’ve given me many moments of gleefully grinning ear-to-ear, and worrisome heartache.

Looking forward to the next chapter, and please be kind to Aiko!
Flahhh

Post by Flahhh »

Wow now i feel really stupid. It took me 3 weeks of doing nothing but lying in bed, reading every second I was awake to get through Tomorrow's Doom and I average about a chapter every 2 hours... I should probably relearn how to read.
Mournful3ch0

Post by Mournful3ch0 »

Flahhh wrote:Wow now i feel really stupid. It took me 3 weeks of doing nothing but lying in bed, reading every second I was awake to get through Tomorrow's Doom and I average about a chapter every 2 hours... I should probably relearn how to read.
Nobody is timing you, just read how you like. If you take a different spin on it, you probably absorbed more information than the people who read it in two days. Not only that, but you got to enjoy it seven times longer :)

I know, I'm not an exceptionally fast reader anymore either (once upon a time, in third grade I was praised for reading regular novels. I don't read as much anymore.) but it didn't hinder my enjoyment any. Just as long as you appreciate the writing and are immersed, there really is no problem ^-^

Also, Supernoodle & Flahhh: Bumping this thread nearly sent me into cardiac arrest. Imagine the headlines.

Yo, Dawg: Boy Reads Story of Boy Suffering Heart Attack, Dies Of Heart Attack
Image "Forsooth, that line was feeble." - Courtesy of Mirage_GSM
Image "It occurs to me that maybe I’m an idiot." - Thanks to Jaspirian